Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Honey Badger posted:

Yeah, but I mean of those thousand chapters, how many do you ever hear about / see in the fluff? You could just as easily say there are a thousand splintered chaos warbands that do things differently floating around in the warp, but I guess what I am getting at is: do Space Wolves / Dark Angels / Blood Angels really differ enough to get a whole separate codex, but Night Lords / Iron Warriors / Alpha Legion, etc. don't? I personally think that in both instances they should have just given some special characters or something that allow access to unique force org. configurations or even unique units.

Since that ship has sailed though, I certainly wish they had done a bit more to appease Chaos players in the new dex. It was a perfect opportunity. I know I'm never going to see Codex: Iron Warriors (as much as I would love to) but at least give us a nod or something to show that they are even aware of one of the biggest complaints people have had towards Chaos. It feels like a kick in the nuts to get this generic pool of stuff that you have to sit down and try to rectify with your legion's fluff while GW sits around and discusses whether maybe they should fold one of the 5 different Space Marine codices into the vanilla dex.

You see a hell of a lot more of the Loyalist Chapters than you do of the Traitor Legions and Renegade Chapters. And I would say yes to the question you're getting at. I really do think there is quite a deal more variety to be had in the Loyalist Chapters. That's in part to them getting more variety to justify their different books, but it's also due to the fluff--the Traitor Legions have been fighting the same war with the same warriors and wargear for 10,000 years.

And I really think they gave you everything you need to run a legion list in the new codex. Alpha Legion get their cultists, Word Bearers get their dark apostles, Iron Warriors get their warpsmiths and demon engines, and Night Lords get demonic raptors and regular raptors who cause fear. I still would have liked to seem the get their own special characters.

And there are six loyalist codices!

Cataphract posted:

sure you can. Thre's seperate lists (and points values) for replacing a Terminators combibolter and power weapon. You can trade the combibolter for a combiplasma for 7 points and trade the power weapon for a LC for 5 points.

Similarly you can trade the CB for a LC for 17 and the PW for a PF for 10 or even the other way around (22, 5)... still 27 points.

Nah man, you can't. The entry says, "Any chaos terminator may choose one of the following three options:..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

PeterWeller posted:

Nah man, you can't. The entry says, "Any chaos terminator may choose one of the following three options:..."

One of you is talking about Terminators, and one of you is talking about Champions and Lords in terminator armor.

Strength of Many
Jan 13, 2012

The butthurt is the life... and it shall be mine.
Has anyone seen the Helldrake and Forgfiend/Maulerfiend kits in person? I keep wondering how interchangeable the bits are on either. I'd like to replace the hind legs on the Helldrake with ones from the Fiend, and construct a tail to replace the rocket rear end in a top hat on the Helldrake. I think it'll look a lot better with some simple conversion work.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
As long as there's talk about arming chaos terminators, I had a question--since the three-way choice is in a separate clause from the heavy weapon that you can take for having 5 models, does that mean that a terminator can both replace its power weapon and take an autocannon/heavy flamer? It seems so, but I wanted to be sure.

ForeverFlashlight
Jun 15, 2005
Keeps going and going...
The only positive change in the new Chaos book is Dirge Casters.

Snollygoster
Dec 17, 2002

what a scoop
Thank the Lord that Broken Loose wasn't a Chaos player because the crying is already bad enough from Chaos players. OK yeah I get it the last codex had the character of a wheat thin. But I've seen people go from complaining about how generic the last book was to shedding crocodile tears over the loss of "generic" daemon weapons.

And it's not like you guys USED those daemon weapons in the last codex, because Chaos Lords were the poo poo of garbage compared to Princes. And before that, the only 3.5 daemon weapon you all missed was the Dread Axe on a Khornate prince to ignore all saves. Nobody's shedding tears over the Kai Gun and the Aether Lance.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

JerryLee posted:

As long as there's talk about arming chaos terminators, I had a question--since the three-way choice is in a separate clause from the heavy weapon that you can take for having 5 models, does that mean that a terminator can both replace its power weapon and take an autocannon/heavy flamer? It seems so, but I wanted to be sure.

That's how it looks to me.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Snollygoster posted:

Thank the Lord that Broken Loose wasn't a Chaos player because the crying is already bad enough from Chaos players. OK yeah I get it the last codex had the character of a wheat thin. But I've seen people go from complaining about how generic the last book was to shedding crocodile tears over the loss of "generic" daemon weapons.

And it's not like you guys USED those daemon weapons in the last codex, because Chaos Lords were the poo poo of garbage compared to Princes. And before that, the only 3.5 daemon weapon you all missed was the Dread Axe on a Khornate prince to ignore all saves. Nobody's shedding tears over the Kai Gun and the Aether Lance.

Nah man it's a kick in the guts to make the daemon weapon rule better in the BRB and to make lords more viable then take away daemon weapons from the codex.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Snollygoster posted:

Yeah, but why not add some cool stuff in this book? Dark Eldar and Necrons have tons of crazy unique wargear options, but not Chaos. I mean, I guess the boons table replaces some of that stuff, except not really since you don't get to actually pick anything and actually run the (admittedly small) risk of loving over your killy lord. It's not all bad, cultists are pretty sweet, but they don't serve any function beyond cheap bodies. No buffing summoning poo poo, no crazy rituals or some nifty rule to let real marines use them as fodder. It's not a bad book, it's just plain. Lots of generic rules crammed into units to try and make them do something that's not quite where you want it to be.

PS I don't play Chaos and probably won't ever.

Slab Squatthrust fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Oct 11, 2012

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Here's a question I'd love you lads to answer, is Vassal40k updated to 6th Ed?

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

The Gate posted:

Yeah, but why not add some cool stuff in this book? Dark Eldar and Necrons have tons of crazy unique wargear options, but not Chaos. I mean, I guess the boons table replaces some of that stuff, except not really since you don't get to actually pick anything and actually run the (admittedly small) risk of loving over your killy lord. It's not all bad, cultists are pretty sweet, but they don't serve any function beyond cheap bodies. No buffing summoning poo poo, no crazy rituals or some nifty rule to let real marines use them as fodder. It's not a bad book, it's just plain. Lots of generic rules crammed into units to try and make them do something that's not quite where you want it to be.

PS I don't play Chaos and probably won't ever.

Man, now you're just talking out of your rear end. First of all, the book is chock full of crazy unique wargear. Second, the DE and Necrons get all those arcane gadgets because they don't have psykers and use arcane technology instead. Third, most of that stuff in the DE codex is just plain awful, and I never even think about taking it. The new book is anything but plain. There are heaps of options: you can take the basic CSM squad and make just about anything you want from it, you have 5 different basic HQ options all with their own strengths and weaknesses, and you have viable interesting choices in every slot.

PS I do play Chaos and I'm very satisfied.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie
About half way done with my Megaboss, would love some CC.

Blue has been difficult for me, but so far I like him. Needs touch ups and more weathering though.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

PeterWeller posted:

Man, now you're just talking out of your rear end. First of all, the book is chock full of crazy unique wargear. Second, the DE and Necrons get all those arcane gadgets because they don't have psykers and use arcane technology instead. Third, most of that stuff in the DE codex is just plain awful, and I never even think about taking it. The new book is anything but plain. There are heaps of options: you can take the basic CSM squad and make just about anything you want from it, you have 5 different basic HQ options all with their own strengths and weaknesses, and you have viable interesting choices in every slot.

You've got the mark-restricted mounts, 6 artifacts some of which are restricted by marks, and then about six more chaosy options, one of which is a generic 5+ invul save. Unless you're talking the items that cult troops/named characters get, I guess? I dunno, it looks pretty plain to me. There are good choices, lots of options, just not the sorts of ones that were expected by most people. I don't think there was a lot of clamoring for more daemon engines. There was a lot of hope for characters to have neat little rules like the plethora of characters in the SM 'dex that unlock lots of little traits to let you play Salamanders, Raven Guard, Imperial Fists, etc.

Edit: Like a lord that had the infiltration trait and swapped Champion of Chaos for Night Vision or something, and BAM!, Night Lords.

Edit2 VV: Eh just an example, I'm not trying to come up with some sort of homebrewed army here.

Slab Squatthrust fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Oct 11, 2012

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I'm on PW's side here. There's a ton of awesome stuff in this codex, I just have trouble paring it down to what I want.

The Gate posted:

Edit: Like a lord that had the infiltration trait and swapped Champion of Chaos for Night Vision or something, and BAM!, Night Lords.

Remove a limitation on the army and replace it with a major buff? You're crazy. That dude on the last page with the fluffy ADB Night Lords doesn't seem like he's having a problem making a flavorful list.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

The Gate posted:

You've got the mark-restricted mounts, 6 artifacts some of which are restricted by marks, and then about six more chaosy options, one of which is a generic 5+ invul save. Unless you're talking the items that cult troops/named characters get, I guess? I dunno, it looks pretty plain to me. There are good choices, lots of options, just not the sorts of ones that were expected by most people. I don't think there was a lot of clamoring for more daemon engines. There was a lot of hope for characters to have neat little rules like the plethora of characters in the SM 'dex that unlock lots of little traits to let you play Salamanders, Raven Guard, Imperial Fists, etc.

Edit2 VV: Eh just an example, I'm not trying to come up with some sort of homebrewed army here.

Dude, you just listed sixteen options on top of all the regular wargear options they get! To put that into context, there are thirteen arcane wargear items available to a DE haemon, and most of those are terrible. And the CSM have their own HQ gimmick, which is the classic HQ gimmick: unlocking cult troops.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
This thread needs space pimps.

2nd ed psykers are awesome.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

PeterWeller posted:

Dude, you just listed sixteen options on top of all the regular wargear options they get! To put that into context, there are thirteen arcane wargear items available to a DE haemon, and most of those are terrible. And the CSM have their own HQ gimmick, which is the classic HQ gimmick: unlocking cult troops.

To be fair, a bunch of those options are terrible as well. I just don't like it man, and I'm personally confused why they added the things they did and not others. It's not a poo poo book or anything, it just seems lacking to me.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
@2nd Ed Psykers: Heh heh, butthead.

CyberLord XP posted:

Blue has been difficult for me, but so far I like him. Needs touch ups and more weathering though.

Missed a trick not going for Marneus Calgork.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.
Played my first game of 6th using Lucius and a bunch of noise marines, say what you will about this codex it is fun as all gently caress. Completely rekindled my abusive relationship with 40k, picked up a sorcerer and another rhino after the game. :negative:

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
How'd you work the Noise Marines? They intrigue me (doubly so if Buffalo Chicken is willing to sell casts of his guitars, hint hint).

Ok, I'm trying to add some CSM to my Necrons lists, as I think they can offer what I'm missing. Armies with a fair bit of long range shooting just seem to consistently destroy me. I don't really know how to go about this, though. Here's my first draft:

Primary Detachment: Necrons
HQ
Necron Overlord
++ Warscythe
++ Mindshackle
++ Sempiternal Weave
Catacomb Command Barge

Royal Court
3 Harbingers of the Storm
2 Harbingers of Destruction
++ Solar Pulse

Troops
5 Warriors
++ Night Scythe

5 Warriors
++ Night Scythe

5 Warriors
++ Night Scythe

5 Immortals

5 Immortals

Heavy Support
Annihilation Barge

Annihilation Barge

Allied Detachment: Chaos Space Marines
HQ
Chaos Lord
++ Power Fist
++ Burning Brand
++ Mark of Tzeentch
++ Disc of Tzeentch
++ Sigil of Corruption
++ Gift of Mutation

Troops
10 Chaos Space Marines
++ 2x Plasma Gun
++ Mark of Nurgle
++ CCW

18 Cultists
++ Flamer

Fast Attack
6 Chaos Bikers
++ 2 Meltaguns

Heavy Support
Maulerfiend

I felt like my old army was just too static, with the Overlord being the only one who ever made any penetration into midfield. Now I have a combat lord, a biker squad, the overlord, and the maulerfiend. That should give me enough, hopefully. I don't think I'm doing this right, though.

Crowleraptor
Sep 26, 2012

Strength of Many posted:

Has anyone seen the Helldrake and Forgfiend/Maulerfiend kits in person? I keep wondering how interchangeable the bits are on either. I'd like to replace the hind legs on the Helldrake with ones from the Fiend, and construct a tail to replace the rocket rear end in a top hat on the Helldrake. I think it'll look a lot better with some simple conversion work.

I've got a heldrake and I can say it is 10x better in person. The gaping maw of a butt is far less butt like when you see the model, just looks like a jet thruster. However the model isnt interchangeable at all, no spare parts except for the gun and it's all molded to fit together.
But due to the shape of several parts and it's position as a daemon engine it looks easy to convert. The only problem is its stubbyness, I'm thinking of using dread claw arms coming out of its tail to make it look more like a weird warped valkarie or something

Flying Guillotine
Dec 29, 2005

by angerbot

VogeGandire posted:

nTh-ing disappointment in this codex. I played Word Bearers, and yeah, getting Dark Apostles is nice, but why don't we get any bonus to summoning daemons? That's our whole schtick.

Plus I really don't like the "everything and the kitchen sink" approach to Chaos models now. Less is more, GW.

The lack of army-specific rules for Legions is annoying, and the fact there's no custom bonus for worshiping Chaos Undivided is annoying as well.

Phyresis posted:

I wouldn't count on there being a second wave of CSM models. It would be nice but it seems very unlikely to happen.

One rumor says we get more models in a month, another says we'll get them a year from now.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.
With making bikes viable again, they'd be slightly foolish to not release a multipart and more expensive bike kit. Also a chosen kit. That'd be swell.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

The Gate posted:

To be fair, a bunch of those options are terrible as well. I just don't like it man, and I'm personally confused why they added the things they did and not others. It's not a poo poo book or anything, it just seems lacking to me.

Ichor blood is the only one I'd call terrible. I like all the others; they're all useful ways to spend some spare points.

That sucks you don't like it; I'm bummed that I can't convince you otherwise because I think it's a really neat codex full of cool options, and it has made me very excited about reinforcing my CSM and using all my new and revamped toys.

Flying Guillotine
Dec 29, 2005

by angerbot

Asphyxious posted:

With making bikes viable again, they'd be slightly foolish to not release a multipart and more expensive bike kit. Also a chosen kit. That'd be swell.

I wonder what causes them to make new kits? Is it the mold breaking down, which is what I think happened with the Leman Russ and Chimera, or is it them just wanting to make something new, or is it return in investment for the mold, or whether they think they will recoup costs on the new mold. Cuz the CSM biker mold and the Khorne Berserkers have been around since 1999 and the basic CSM troops have been around since 2001.

drat near the entire range needs to be redone at this point, and we still don't have plastic cult troops. :argh:

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Flying Guillotine posted:

I wonder what causes them to make new kits? Is it the mold breaking down, which is what I think happened with the Leman Russ and Chimera, or is it them just wanting to make something new, or is it return in investment for the mold, or whether they think they will recoup costs on the new mold. Cuz the CSM biker mold and the Khorne Berserkers have been around since 1999 and the basic CSM troops have been around since 2001.

drat near the entire range needs to be redone at this point, and we still don't have plastic cult troops. :argh:

The basic CSM got a recut in the mid 2000s and have a lot more detail and options than the old kit. You also get 10 to a kit instead of 8. They look very similar though, and don't resemble the mutated and corrupted models like we have in Dark Vengeance.

As for when GW makes new plastics, it's pretty much only after they've made the investment in sprues back (which they've no doubt done for some of these older models) but it's fairly arbitrary. The do understand that if they made a new CSM box, not every Chaos player would buy them since they already have a bunch of Marines. However, if they release a new kit of some weird new hotness, players both new and old will pick it up.

Chaos bikers haven't sold any kits since like 2001 so it's pretty likely that GW is just riding them out for the time being. By making them viable in the new book, people will likely buy them and field them, and GW will make money from the lovely old kits again.

Demon Hunter
Jul 18, 2005

CyberLord XP posted:

Pics of Awesomeness

This looks really good, but I feel the power klaw could use some cables to bring it together. Look at some guitar strings for some cheap cables.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

SRM posted:

The basic CSM got a recut in the mid 2000s and have a lot more detail and options than the old kit. You also get 10 to a kit instead of 8. They look very similar though, and don't resemble the mutated and corrupted models like we have in Dark Vengeance.

To be fair, the models in Dark Vengeance are chosen, who are the equivalent of models like sternguard and other types of veterans, whose models are also much more detailed than the normal marine models. That said, they're much closer in design to the regular marines than the chosen are to the CSM.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

PierreTheMime posted:

There's also little touches that should have been included but were skipped out of laziness, simplification, or that they just forgot. Sorcerors of the Thousand Sons are immune to the mutating effects of Chaos sorcery due to their binding to the Rubric of Ahriman. Sorcerors that succeed in a Challenge have a 5.5% chance of mutating into a Chaos Spawn. Granted, Chaos Spawn models are now kind of good, but they are theoretically immune to that effect. A minor thing but it bugs me.

From way back, but if Battle of the Fang is any indication, this is in fact very fluffy. :eng101:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Here, have a bad Night Lords list:

quote:

HQ:
Demon Prince - 290 points
Demon of Tzeentch, Power Armor, Wings, Psychic Level 3, and a Spell Familiar

Elites:
Terminators (5 dudes) - 241 points
Mark of Tzeentch, Veterans, 2 powerfists, 2 combi-meltas, and a Champion with a powerfist and gift of mutation

Terminators (5 dudes) - 241 points
Mark of Tzeentch, Veterans, 2 powerfists, 2 combi-meltas, and a Champion with a powerfist and gift of mutation

Troops
Chaos Marines (10 dudes) - 205 points
extra close combat weapons, 2 plasma guns, and a Champion with a power weapon

Cultists (20 dudes) - 100 points
2 flamers

Cultists (20 dudes) - 119 points
guns, 2 stubbers, and a Champion with a shotgun

Fast Attack
Raptors (10 dudes) - 225 points
2 meltaguns, and a Champion with a powerfist and gift of mutation

Raptors (10 dudes) - 225 points
2 meltaguns, and a Champion with a powerfist and gift of mutation

Warp Talons (5 dudes) - 205 points
Mark of Khorne, Veterans, and a Champion with 1 gift of mutation

Total: 1851 points

This is my current plan for my new chaos army. I've had a demon prince model since the plastic kit came out and I'd like to use it, though I can easily swap him for a terminator lord, sorcerer, or whatever else could fit since almost 300 points on a single model is kind of ridiculous. I think he'll draw a stupid amount of fire during the first few turns. Or crash and burn horribly. Either works.

I'm planning on deepstriking the terminators, raptors, and warp talons. I'm hoping the warp talons' blind attack manages to do something and reduce my chances of getting slaughtered when my guys arrive. I've seen blind weapons in action so I know this won't happen often. The raptor and terminator units all have melta weapons and powerfists in case there are vehicles or whatever. And everyone has gifts because they're cool.

I could switch one of the terminator squads for a dreadnought and a maulerfiend pretty nicely. It might be worth doing this, but I'm worried they'll get shot off the board too easily. Similarly, the cultists could be swapped for another 10 man chaos marine squad and some spare points.

Anyways, any thoughts? This is just my target list at the moment, I plan on building it as I work a couple of newbies into the hobby.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

With all that deep striking, you should really give that DP the dimensional key. And just because I'm anal about these sorts of things, I'm going to tell you to remove the cult champ's shotgun so you're not 1 point over.

Flying Guillotine
Dec 29, 2005

by angerbot

SRM posted:

That's what bugs me. I want awesome Dark Vengeance models.

SRM posted:

As for when GW makes new plastics, it's pretty much only after they've made the investment in sprues back (which they've no doubt done for some of these older models) but it's fairly arbitrary. The do understand that if they made a new CSM box, not every Chaos player would buy them since they already have a bunch of Marines. However, if they release a new kit of some weird new hotness, players both new and old will pick it up.

Yeah, but the new big beasties look so terrible I'm not picking up any. I'm also not picking up any basic CSM, Posessed (since I'm not sure they don't suck now), Chaos Spawn (same reason) or much of anything else. I bought Dark Vengeance, and I'm good for right now. Everything out there looks terrible. The model kit line is in dire need of an update.

SRM posted:

Chaos bikers haven't sold any kits since like 2001 so it's pretty likely that GW is just riding them out for the time being. By making them viable in the new book, people will likely buy them and field them, and GW will make money from the lovely old kits again.

Yeah I wondered why if this wasn't the reason they got so good now. Sigh... :smith:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

PeterWeller posted:

With all that deep striking, you should really give that DP the dimensional key. And just because I'm anal about these sorts of things, I'm going to tell you to remove the cult champ's shotgun so you're not 1 point over.

That would be a really easy switch to make, just drop a psychic level and add the key. I had thought about it, but the problem is that he has to kill a guy in melee to unlock it. At that point I think some if not most of my deepstrikers will have arrived. But I just realized the deepstrike thing is a board-wide bonus :aaaaa:

I'll have to try that and see how it works out. The terrain thing could also be a lot of fun.

Yeah I wondered why if this wasn't the reason they got so good now. Sigh... :smith:
For what it's worth, bikes have been getting cheaper almost every codex since 3rd edition.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Personally, while I'm not a Chaos player I have skimmed through the Chaos codex, and it seems like there's an obvious reason why people are disappointed.

It's because it's following two amazing releases: Necrons and Dark Eldar.

Both were armies that were in dire need of an update. Both were armies that were almost completely recreated. Chaos, on the other hand, did not need the same treatment. Yes, it sucks that there's no new plastic Cult marines or anything amazing like that and, yes, I'm not a fan of the new Daemon Engines, but the codex itself is solid.

Chaos simply didn't need the level of work and number of releases that those other two codices did. It sucks but it's the truth. There'll almost certainly be a second wave that includes kits for things like Multilators, cultists and, I imagine, a Chosen kit. I can't see GW leaving those terrible Mutilators around long or leaving those other two as solely within the DV box set.

Flying Guillotine
Dec 29, 2005

by angerbot

Milky Moor posted:

Personally, while I'm not a Chaos player I have skimmed through the Chaos codex, and it seems like there's an obvious reason why people are disappointed.

It's because it's following two amazing releases: Necrons and Dark Eldar.

Both were armies that were in dire need of an update. Both were armies that were almost completely recreated. Chaos, on the other hand, did not need the same treatment. Yes, it sucks that there's no new plastic Cult marines or anything amazing like that and, yes, I'm not a fan of the new Daemon Engines, but the codex itself is solid.

Chaos simply didn't need the level of work and number of releases that those other two codices did. It sucks but it's the truth. There'll almost certainly be a second wave that includes kits for things like Multilators, cultists and, I imagine, a Chosen kit. I can't see GW leaving those terrible Mutilators around long or leaving those other two as solely within the DV box set.

I can. Orks never got a separate box set for Deffkoptas. They'll wait until they start selling for silly money on ebay, then they'll release a box set.

Flying Guillotine
Dec 29, 2005

by angerbot
Chaos Posessed in the new codex - worth it?

Can anyone take a digicam pic of their entry in CSM, or does anyone know their points cost?

Are they worth taking now?

In a unit of 10?

In a Rhino?

Is it worth it to give them an icon?

Also, does anybody know the stats and points cost of the Chaos Giant Spined beast from that one FW book?

Flying Guillotine fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Oct 11, 2012

Crowleraptor
Sep 26, 2012

Chaos Posessed in the new codex - worth it?

Can anyone take a digicam pic of their entry in CSM, or does anyone know their points cost?

Are they worth taking now?

In a unit of 10?

In a Rhino?

Is it worth it to give them an icon?

well they are a lot more reliable, mainly because they have fleet to start with and they roll on the possessed table at the start of every fight phase instead of the game.
D3 between 1, re rolling to wound, 2, ap3 claws, 3, +1 attack and initiative.

Giving them marks and icons would rocket their points cost up, but to the same notion giving them FNP or rage could be very useful.

Personally I am going to try a squad of these guys with Ahriman as my warlord and give them infiltrate or outflank with them

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Hey so back from playing two matches with grey knights and I'm bout to post some :words: bear with me please. First match was ok even though I got stomped. Enemy list was w/e you call the grey knight PA dudes with psycannons and a ten man terminator section with a termi librarian as HQ. Brought 2x10 CSM with a lascannon each and a 7 man slaaneshi raptor section (with icon of excess), champ lightning clawed up with a gift, chaos lord with the murder sword, gift, sigil, MoS, and a jump pack and melta bombs I think. Got stomped out on the relic and had horrible luck with my lovely small dice, dude was really cool about it had better luck with his dice and even got a rematch with a new mission.

Rolled Emperor's Will and got stomped but it was a bit less onesided, sniped like 3 grey knights with lascannons and one with a bolter, raptors were useless as I kept them back in a bunker to avoid them being shot up/charged until turn 4 when they tried to score linebreaker and failed. Real Good game.

Game two was supernerd who you mighta heard me mention before, and I don't want to sound super bitter but its gonna come across that way, so gently caress it here goes. He's still running the bastion (now with icarus lascannon), still running coteaz and the inquisitor with the hellrifle. He changed it up with the troops a bit, dropped the psyker henchmen, brought like 2-4 acolyte squads which I paid little attention to in reserve, dual joakero/triple plasma cannon servitors and a tech marine/priest w/e in coteaz's squad with another jokaeo/plasma cannon servitor team with that other inquisitor in a chimera. Mission was the relic. He took two psynesciene and some power that gives you a +4 invul that he rolled for.

I ran 2x5 CSM, a Terminator Lord kitted out with all the goodies (chainfist/combi melta, sigil, mark of tzeench, gift) a 4 man termi section with him kitted out with combi melta spam (champ taking a gift,combi melta/PF) and 3 Obliterators with mark of tzeench split into one man teams.

Turn 1 Nightfighting, nothing happens, turn two the building I have my second CSM squad move up to (AV 11) gets slammed to poo poo and that squad gets wiped out. Dude tries to tell me his lascannon hits at S10 because of AP2 after I just explained to him how building damage works. He's also got said bastion positioned behind an improved ruin, which he previously tried to put right up against the bastion before i called him out on it) and is casting invul saves on it (more on that in a second). Turn two, obliterators make it in terminators do not, two of my oblits drop into into coteaz's 12 inch I'VE BEEN EXPECTING YOU circle of gayness, one does not. I asked him beforehand if the coteaz gimmick affects everyone who deepstrikes in that radius or just one of the units in that turn, tells me only coteaz's unit can do it and one at a time, dude has me thinking I can bruteforce deepstrike in. He explains that his guys can hit everyone at once within that 12inch killzone and lets me move the oblit who landed on target an inch back. Cool, thanks for the pity break, the other oblit by the way who landed in the killzone got poo poo on so heh one down already.

Oblits try to slam his chimera with lascannons and fail, bad luck. They weather the return fire and suck it up with that +4 invul and take one wound a piece from ALL his poo poo. Turn Three we move into multi-melta range I snag one pen and he rolls a +4 invul. Whatever poo poo happens, second shot from oblit two failed me in regards to pen. Oblits try and fail the charge (within 7 inches for the closest) and get killed next turn, terminators yet to come in. Acolytes come in same turn and are laspistoling (lol) and meltagunning my guys, they live. He calls out one shot laspistol and one shot melta as a wound, I save them both and then he tries to tell me to save the second nonexistant laspistol wound until he gets called out by someone observing the game. Buddy of mine gets finished playing an eldar player and comes to check out the game and I tell him whats up. I ask the dude how is he getting the invul save on the building cause now I'm curious, he says its cause the bastion counts as a vehicle and he already looked it up.

Bastion: Medium Building (AV 14) Fortification Model Count 10 in the entry for it in the main rulebook. I mention this to him and he tries to justify it saying it counts as a vehicle in assault, I remember his previous quote to me on our first game about how a Bastion is supposed to have 4 hull points (buildings don't have hull points lol). Just as I'm about to argue the point with him I just tell him "gently caress this poo poo" and started packing up, cause I got better things to do then give myself a headache. Don't get me wrong I tried to be somewhat decent about it, I didn't curse him out specifically or scream/bitch at him ("Hey maybe another time we can play, or something like that is what I told him"). But gently caress that poo poo for real.

I mean I play in that league to kill time, paint/learn how to paint some hams, and chill with cool people not to become angry as gently caress over a game with plastic/metal armymen. And its not like this is someone new to the game this is someone (the only one matter of fact) that spent time figuring out one of the gayest possible lists to dominate all the way up from 500 to 750 points, at the very least if I'm gonna get hosed gently caress me by the numbers right and proper. Wonder what I'm gonna see at 1000, 1250, 1500? Do I hop into an arms race with supernerd and start hustling money for warhammer harder than a crackhead looking for rocks just to smash his poo poo a few times? Not really in the mood for that either, so I leave to you all this horribly poo poo tale of a 40k battle report. v0v

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

ijyt posted:

Here's a question I'd love you lads to answer, is Vassal40k updated to 6th Ed?

Nope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
If he makes you that mad, just refuse to play him. Calling him on his poo poo while doing so is up to you. If it were me and I got challenged on why I refuse to play I'd lay out my reasons and get on with playing people that aren't assholes.

• Locked thread