Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

grover posted:

The combination of unreasonably slow speed limits and drivers that, inexplicably and en masse, strictly obey them, is absolutely infuriating. Why does everyone in Seattle drive like it's raining even when it's not?

It's been the cause of several road rage shootings/killings recently, so you're not the only one to notice this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
I would be down for fully enclosed electric trikes, so long as they have proper number of wheels up front. Although safety is an issue, I doubt they'll be less safe than a motorcycle if they're bigger and thereby more visible.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

MikeyTsi posted:

Tweeting/texting with one hand, coffee in the other.

gently caress, I've seen people loving reading newspapers on the road here.
The mayor of toronto(yeah) was caught doing that too so you're not alone atleast

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

MikeyTsi posted:

Tweeting/texting with one hand, coffee in the other.

gently caress, I've seen people loving reading newspapers on the road here.
Of course, it's a natural progression: when you're driving that loving slow, you need to do something to stay sane.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

IOwnCalculus posted:

I've got a passenger on my commute for three days a week, and you're not going to even get into the HOV lane without getting shot if you're not doing at least 70, and you will get a line of very angry drivers behind you if you're not doing at least 75. If I'm going to spend new car money on a car, it had better be able to handle driving in that speed range at least as well as my 2.5L Ranger, and trust me, that's not much of a bar to set.

Good for you. My commute to work, when I drive and don't take Metro, is 10 miles across DC to Bethesda, and the fastest I'll ever go is 50 mph, which is still 15 mph over the posted limit.

If I had somewhere to plug an electric car in at home, you can bet I'd have one instead of dealing with WMATA.

See? Different people have different needs.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Cream_Filling posted:

I would be down for fully enclosed electric trikes, so long as they have proper number of wheels up front. Although safety is an issue, I doubt they'll be less safe than a motorcycle if they're bigger and thereby more visible.

I'm waiting for the Segway Turbo S myself for city commuting.

Also: I see more loving SHITHEADS (driving way over the speed limit and swerving around lane cutting, tailgating and not bothering using turn signals) in shitbox cars and giant Pickup trucks/SUV's than anything else. :argh: :commissar:

I wish the CHP and police would yank these shitheads over and do roadside executions as opposed to setting up easy honey trap drift nets and pulling over people going 66 mph in a 65 in a rental car.

Also my mother is 64 and goes the speed limit so please don't run her off the road when she's already in the loving slow lane you tweaker goons. :rolleyes:

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Oct 11, 2012

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

grover posted:

Of course, it's a natural progression: when you're driving that loving slow, you need to do something to stay sane.

Thats why Im typically tuggin one out in the righthand lane.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

IOwnCalculus posted:

Oh yeah, the midwest is completely alien to me. You fuckers crack down HARD on speeders; the only times I've driven in KC or Minneapolis, it was bizarre seeing that everyone else was actually keeping very close to the speed limit.

I've found that on the east coast, we speed like maniacs, but are very serious about obeying red lights and stop signs. On the west coast, people follow the speed limit (and are scandalized if you mention your daily commute routinely hits 85+ mph), but do rolling stops and blow off red lights if they're sure nobody's there.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Hashal posted:

Anyone know the cost of replacing batteries in an electric vehicle and how often they need to be changed?

There's not a lot of data yet, but quite a bit:
http://green.autoblog.com/2010/05/15/nissan-leaf-profitable-by-year-three-battery-cost-closer-to-18/
With some vehicles already showing reduced range.

I think I've seen $8000 for Priuses, though those don't show the age of the batteries in as drastic a way, and with many known high mileage units doing just fine.

discstickers
Jul 29, 2004

grover posted:

The combination of unreasonably slow speed limits and drivers that, inexplicably and en masse, strictly obey them, is absolutely infuriating. Why does everyone in Seattle drive like it's raining even when it's not?

It's worse here when it rains, people slow down even more!

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
Goodyear is developing a self-inflating tire, and may be ready to put it in production next year:

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2012/09/goodyear-self-inflating-tire-tested-further-in-2013.html

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
My favorite example for cars like this is California. The LA metro area has about 14 million people in it these days, and commutes can range from just a few miles to more than 50, or further if you live out in places like Woodland Hills or Orange county. If I live in the SF Bay Area and have a commute, chances are good I'm commuting to Silicon Valley from somewhere up north, which means that theoretically-possible 90 mile range is likely inadequate for a commute. Then again, if you work in the Valley, you probably have a bunch of hippie poo poo like electric car charging stations at work. Realistically you probably have 2 or 3 if you're working at a smaller company like Trend, or as many as 10 if you work at say, Intuit.

It sure is gonna suck when you find out someone else came to work with an electric car and took that last charging station, though.

IIRC before the electric car thread got gassed we'd kind of come to the conclusion that until range or fueling was fixed, we'd have a hard time finding a place for the electric car.

Keyser S0ze posted:

Also: I see more loving SHITHEADS (driving way over the speed limit and swerving around lane cutting, tailgating and not bothering using turn signals) in shitbox cars and giant Pickup trucks/SUV's than anything else. :argh: :commissar:

I wish the CHP and police would yank these shitheads over and do roadside executions as opposed to setting up easy honey trap drift nets and pulling over people going 66 mph in a 65 in a rental car.

Also my mother is 64 and goes the speed limit so please don't run her off the road when she's already in the loving slow lane you tweaker goons. :rolleyes:

The CHP is nothing but a mobile revenue collection and cleanup team. gently caress them and their lovely LIDAR guns that don't know they're being jammed too.

Das Volk fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Oct 11, 2012

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Keyser S0ze posted:

Blame the people breaking the law sitting in the left lane doing the speed limit.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

D C posted:

Blame the people breaking the law sitting in the left lane doing the speed limit.

Yeah, because they are obviously the sole cause of loving SHITHEADS driving like idiots :rolleyes:

Breaking the speed limit is not a right. I agree that everyone should keep as far right as possible, but that does not excuse the shitheads' driving.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Oct 11, 2012

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

Yeah, because they are obviously the sole cause of loving SHITHEADS driving like idiots :rolleyes:

Breaking the speed limit is not a right. I agree that everyone should keep as far right as possible, but that does not excuse the shitheads' driving.

Breaking the law and being in the left lane is not a right.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Faerunner posted:

Breaking the law and being in the left lane is not a right.

Two not-rights do not make a not-wrong.

Right?

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

D C posted:

Yeah, but it's only that 3% of the time the other 97% it's a fully packed 4 lane highway and the shithead goes "ARRRGH THERE IS 5 FEET OF ROOM IN FRONT OF THE CAR IN FRONT OF ME I MUST SWERVE, CUT AND DOGE ACROSS ALL THE LANES AND THEN (without using any turn signals of course because turn signals are for fags) WEDGE MY LIFTED F250 IN THERE AND SHOW THEM MY ALPHA MALE (or SUV GRIZZLY MOM) DOMINANCE!"

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
To be fair, in my experience the only way to safely merge into the left lane is not to use your turn signal. If you have plenty of space and actually signal, all you're going to get is the rear end in a top hat in the left lane flooring it to try to block you. This happens so consistently, I have to assume that people get in the habit of not signaling because of it.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Nah, that's when you troll them by id'ing the potential douche beforehand , putting on your signal, waiting for him to lunge ahead, then cutting right across his rear bumper so they'll get nice and aggravated and hopefully hit someone in front of them.

My favorite trick is to lead tailgating aggressive assholes into a long offramp with a sharp turn at the end, and since I can make that turn easily by just downshifting I can then watch them in their POS truck lurch and almost flip over when they have to hammer on their brakes.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

Keyser S0ze posted:

Nah, that's when you troll them by id'ing the potential douche beforehand , putting on your signal, waiting for him to lunge ahead, then cutting right across his rear bumper so they'll get nice and aggravated and hopefully hit someone in front of them.

In practice they just slam their brakes to try and make you hit them.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I've noticed many of the new European cars have mirrors that flip and retract. Is this just a style thing or does it serve a purpose over the more conventional single hinge?

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

I don't live in a place where people drive aggressively. Why would someone want to prevent you from merging in front of them in the left lane?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Tacier posted:

I don't live in a place where people drive aggressively. Why would someone want to prevent you from merging in front of them in the left lane?

Because you will be in front of them any many people treat freeways like Nascar, aggressively tailgating and overtaking someone whenever there is space. If you leave a 2+ second following distance in front of you, there will be cars constantly moving in to fill it.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

Weinertron posted:

Because you will be in front of them any many people treat freeways like Nascar, aggressively tailgating and overtaking someone whenever there is space. If you leave a 2+ second following distance in front of you, there will be cars constantly moving in to fill it.

Because people are assholes. All the other words are unnecessary.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Xguard86 posted:

I've noticed many of the new European cars have mirrors that flip and retract. Is this just a style thing or does it serve a purpose over the more conventional single hinge?
Parking on narrow streets.

Many European cities have a lot of VERY narrow streets.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Kenshin posted:

For reference, this street is considered wide and spacious. Couple inches of mirror makes a big difference.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Faerunner posted:

Because people are assholes. All the other words are unnecessary.

This, it really seems all civility and manners are gone these days as we elbow each other out of the way and happily slice each others throats in order to be first in line.

Auto Fold Mirrors: Some new cars do it when you put it in park. My new car does it with the touch of a button, and I use it in my garage or in a tight parking lot. Even my older 2002 BMW 330 has manual fold mirrors. They are just one less thing to have to repair when some drunken moufbreather stumbles by your car.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

grover posted:

Goodyear is developing a self-inflating tire, and may be ready to put it in production next year:

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2012/09/goodyear-self-inflating-tire-tested-further-in-2013.html

Whoa, this is pretty awesome. I wonder how precise the sensor is, because it'd be neat if it was able to do it on the fly, almost like, if you're going slow on rough terrain, the tires would lose some air pressure to help with comfort/traction. Kind of like the active magnetic shocks.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Kenshin posted:

I think he's asking whether the alternate mechanism offers any benefits over simple single hinge folding mirrors, not why they fold at all.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Cream_Filling posted:

I think he's asking whether the alternate mechanism offers any benefits over simple single hinge folding mirrors, not why they fold at all.

Yes, which I guess was answered by "they fold tighter" although IDK it seems like less than inch.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Cream_Filling posted:

Because its easier then getting out of the car and folding the mirrors in? My S5 does it when I lock it.

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!
My skyline does it too and the book suggests it is to limit people walking into them in tight car parks.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I have to push the mirror control button back to make my truck do it :(

on the plus side, i can push the button and make them fold in on the highway for extra speed!

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

D C posted:

Because its easier then getting out of the car and folding the mirrors in? My S5 does it when I lock it.

That's just power folding mirrors, though. I know it's already been more or less answered, but he was talking about a different mechanism from just the standard one, not the fact that they fold at all.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

are we talking about this kind?

I think there are 2 answers as to why:
1: It looks cool and expensive even though it isn't really
2: Packaging. With big fat faired mirrors like that, it's probably easier and cheaper and takes up less space to have a little stepper motor spin the mirror up than some kind of geared or push-rod linkage or something to fold it on a hinge.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

yes thats what I mean. Sorry for being kind of vague. I understand the purpose of power folding mirrors that move like a door hinge. My giant SUV has that and its a godsend for navigating small spaces. Those have been around for a long time, I was asking about the mirrors that fold like Linedance's picture.

I first thought it was a BMW thing but I've seen other Euro cars with that configuration so I was wondering what caused that switch, if it was anything more than just "looks neat".

PS it does look neat.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Huh, the mirrors on my E46 fold the way in Linedance's picture, but they are still manual folding mirrors.

hummingbird hoedown
Sep 23, 2004

IS THAT A STUPID NEWBIE AVATAR? FUCK NO, YOU'RE GETTING A PENTAR

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made Products

Guinness posted:

Mirror talk.

Can electrically-folding mirrors fold with manual pressure or are they caught against the non-moving motor? I was in a car one time with manual folding mirrors and the car clipped a wall or something. The mirror folding on itself, possibly saving the mirror from otherwise being torn off the car. Do motor-driven mirrors fold under pressure or only at the push of the button? Also, with the ones that fold vertically this folding on contact wouldn't be possible. I would have to say normally hinged, manually operated mirrors would trump and electrical/vertical ones for these reasons.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Hummer Driving human being posted:

Can electrically-folding mirrors fold with manual pressure or are they caught against the non-moving motor? I was in a car one time with manual folding mirrors and the car clipped a wall or something. The mirror folding on itself, possibly saving the mirror from otherwise being torn off the car. Do motor-driven mirrors fold under pressure or only at the push of the button? Also, with the ones that fold vertically this folding on contact wouldn't be possible. I would have to say normally hinged, manually operated mirrors would trump and electrical/vertical ones for these reasons.
All the ones I've had experience of can fold with a gentle push, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

My only gripe about manual folding mirrors is that they are practically a non-feature since I never fold them because :effort:, especially the passenger side.

And I also avoid super tight spaces because of door dings and scratches so what's the point anyway, it's not like I've got huge F350-style mirrors.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Oct 12, 2012