Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

AE-35 Unit posted:

Based on Tom's link to filling factories, this is probably around WWII time, and Jones looks the same as she does age-wise in the (assumed) present. It's obviously significant, but for the life of me I can't understand what that significance is. I can't really see where this is going. It's going somewhere, but we (or just me) obviously still don't have enough information yet.

I'd be hesitant to say this is where she gets "stuck" in her age, since she still exhibits her Jones-ness (impervious to damage and higher vocal ranges). Rather, its probably a call-back to humans fleeing to the court to escape war that Coyote mentioned way back when.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
Hmm. Thought. We know that Jones/Emma/Wandering eye is incredibly long lived. If this is pre-Court, maybe she has to change names to keep her nature secret. Hence why she says she'll keep the name as long as she can. Because at some point her current identity has to die.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I don't think this is pre-court, just what Jones/Emma did before coming to the court. The founders manner of dress would seem to indicate that the Court was formed pre-Industrial Revolution.

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Hmm. Thought. We know that Jones/Emma/Wandering eye is incredibly long lived. If this is pre-Court, maybe she has to change names to keep her nature secret. Hence why she says she'll keep the name as long as she can. Because at some point her current identity has to die.

Maybe Jones and The Phantom went to the same longevity school.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I don't know. Jones taking the name feels like it has some magical significance.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

AE-35 Unit posted:

Maybe Jones and The Phantom went to the same longevity school.

The Phantom isn't really immortal, they are just a bunch of guys whose sons become Phantoms after them.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

Wili posted:

So this is the place where Jones was manufactured. A fake filling factory to cover up the development of the EMMA-type butt-kicking robot that could turn the tide of the war.

Energized Mainly Mundane Adviser?
Emergent Mass-Murdering Attacker? :ohdear:
Etheric Metal-Made Android?

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
It is clear to me now. Jones is a Highlander immortal.

Edit: Her next name is either Eglamore or Disaster.

Kassad fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Oct 10, 2012

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

AE-35 Unit posted:

Based on Tom's link to filling factories, this is probably around WWII time, and Jones looks the same as she does age-wise in the (assumed) present. It's obviously significant, but for the life of me I can't understand what that significance is. I can't really see where this is going. It's going somewhere, but we (or just me) obviously still don't have enough information yet.

She took a sacred vow seriously, is all.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Jones probably inheriting something (or just agreeing to in articulo mortis wedding) aside, am I the only one who think that the two workers on third panel have a passing ressemblance to Kat and Zimmy? Might be just a quirk of the art, but who knows?

Iceclaw fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Oct 10, 2012

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Wili posted:

So this is the place where Jones was manufactured. A fake filling factory to cover up the development of the EMMA-type butt-kicking robot that could turn the tide of the war.
Emma! You are not a gun! You are who you choose to be!

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Emma! You are not a gun! You are who you choose to be!
Su...per...wo...man :unsmith:

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

DarkCrawler posted:

The Phantom isn't really immortal, they are just a bunch of guys whose sons become Phantoms after them.

I know, that was just a bad attempt at a joke. :downsrim:

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
One thing that stands out in today's comic is the "Thank the Lord" line - is this the first hint about religion in the Court's world? (Apart from robo-religion)

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

ymgve posted:

One thing that stands out in today's comic is the "Thank the Lord" line - is this the first hint about religion in the Court's world? (Apart from robo-religion)

No they were just talking about Lord Fattarbottom, the guy who built the filling factory. Thanks to his shoddy construction the roof fell in exactly the right way for Emma to live.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

DarkCrawler posted:

The Jones is dead. Long live the Jones.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

ymgve posted:

Well, considering the amount of psychopomps that have already appeared, there always was quite a lot of realworld religion being represented. Here, it's probably to reflect the fact it's set in somewhere in the UK circa 1940 and not necessarly the court.

Urban Space Cowboy
Feb 15, 2009

All these Coyote avatars...they make me nervous...like somebody's pulling a prank on the entire forum! :tinfoil:
And that is how Wandering Eye got her current name.

:drat:

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Well, after all that time it's finally been explained what Jones is. Now we have to figure out what the hell Emma is.

Ezzer
Aug 5, 2011

Tom said Jones isn't a robot. He never said anything about Emma...

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Man places where they put the cream in twinkies are dangerous.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
"What did she call you? Miss Jones? Is that the latest name you've stolen, Wandering Eye?"

"Just Jones is fine."

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Oh. I guess you learn something new everyday: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filling_Factories_in_the_United_Kingdom

SoupyTwist
Feb 20, 2008

It's actually a pastry filling factory, Emma/Jones is part Twinkie.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

SoupyTwist posted:

So Jones is a Pastry Golem?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

SoupyTwist posted:

No wonder she doesn't age.

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaGH6HC-1K4

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
The true secret of Jones is that it's botox.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Does this imply that her next name will be Eaglemore? Or Dr Disaster?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

That would be a good joke, but no. She was clearly close to this Jones person, so taking his name - his dying wish - is how she honors his memory. Which is an important thing for apparent immortals. (Why it was important to Mr. Jones that she take his name is something that might or might not have further significance.)

What we're learning is that extreme longevity is among Jones' unique qualities (combined with her tremendous physical resilience it might well be immortality), that she finds ways to have deep relationships with people who grow and die while she doesn't change, that she's taken different names over the decades, and that she involves herself in the human world rather than remaining apart from it. All very useful things to know, and not nearly as outlandish as some of the speculation that's gone on in this thread lately.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

I don't know if anyone else was wondering, but it also answered for me whether she changes appearance along with changing names (apparently not).

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret

Bongo Bill posted:

That would be a good joke, but no. She was clearly close to this Jones person, so taking his name - his dying wish - is how she honors his memory. Which is an important thing for apparent immortals. (Why it was important to Mr. Jones that she take his name is something that might or might not have further significance.)

Yeah, I was thinking that her immortality stems somehow from taking others' names when they die, and each name sustains her for only so long. A caveat of this might also be that the person has to be someone who loved her, or that they have to "offer" their name to her ("Emma, will you take my name?"). Eglamore is totally next on the list

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

GENUINE CAT HERDER posted:

Yeah, I was thinking that her immortality stems somehow from taking others' names when they die, and each name sustains her for only so long. A caveat of this might also be that the person has to be someone who loved her, or that they have to "offer" their name to her ("Emma, will you take my name?"). Eglamore is totally next on the list

This sounds suspiciously close to a succubus.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
How does that sound anything like a demon that rapes men in their sleep to harvest their seed?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

How does that sound anything like a demon that rapes men in their sleep to harvest their seed?

A female supernatural being that relies on men who loved/lusted her dying and giving something to her so that she may continue living (but, as GENUINE CAT HERDER said, only for so long). There's definitely some parallels there.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Kickstarter's going UK in three weeks. Let's all bug Tom until he gives in and lets people shower him with him money for something!

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Oct 11, 2012

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
I am gonna kick the hell out of that starter.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

MikeJF posted:

Kickstarter's going UK in three weeks. Let's all bug Tom until he gives in and lets people shower him with him money for something!

But what would he kickstart?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Fragrag posted:

But what would he kickstart?

Volume 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maldraedior
Jun 16, 2002

YOU ARE AN ASININE MORT