Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

printf posted:

There's no point: HDD can't come close to saturating thunderbolt and SSDs as used by external drive makers are ludicrously expensive.

The best use for thunderbolt right now is the gig-E adaptor.

Thunderbolt is 3x the performance of USB 3.0 according to these tests:

http://www.storagereview.com/thunderbolt_storage_with_any_hard_drive_or_ssd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
How does that contradict his point?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

fleshweasel posted:

How does that contradict his point?

Doesn't really. But it's triple the performance with a Seagate adaptor and a readily available SSD (Intel 330)

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
Are the newer Time Capsules more dependable? I had one before and I guess the power supply died due to heat issues.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Are the newer Time Capsules more dependable? I had one before and I guess the power supply died due to heat issues.

I've had one for four years and never had an issue. They've always been dependable for me.

CombatMedic
Feb 26, 2004

ANUDDAH SUCCESSFOOL PRECEEDJUH!
I'm not sure if this is the place to ask, but I need a good case for my rMBP.

I need a hard case with some kind of internal padding. I travel in helicopters quite a bit, and you generally aren't allowed any kind of "carry-on" luggage, so everything gets thrown in the baggage compartment. I.E. my Macbook could be underneath 3 suitcases or fall out of the baggage compartment when the door is opened.

Ideally I'd like something not too much bigger than the MBP.

CombatMedic fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Oct 8, 2012

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

CombatMedic posted:

I'm not sure if this is the place to ask, but I need a good case for my rMBP.

I need a hard case with some kind of internal padding. I travel in helicopters quite a bit, and you generally aren't allowed any kind of "carry-on" luggage, so everything gets thrown in the baggage compartment. I.E. my Macbook could be underneath 3 suitcases or fall out of the baggage compartment when the door is opened.

Ideally I'd like something not too much bigger than the MBP.

Pelican

http://blog.alexmorales.org/the-ultimate-case-for-a-retina-macbook-pro/

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Yeah, Pelican for sure. Then your challenge will be telling it apart from all the other Pelican cases in the cargo hold! :v:

Also, Bob Morales what did you do for your new avatar + title-text? :allears:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

movax posted:

Also, Bob Morales what did you do for your new avatar + title-text? :allears:

I spent five bucks

Ganon
May 24, 2003
Why don't you post in your 1911 thread anymore?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Ganon posted:

Why don't you post in your 1911 thread anymore?

I can't even remember the last time I was over in TFR :smith:

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
Has anybody seen retina macbooks on the refurb site yet? I need to upgrade my air because I'm starting to run into issues where I need more ram (way too many page outs/swap), and would like a second or third monitor. I don't really want to buy a cMBP because by the time I get it to 16gb, upgrade the resolution, and put in an SSD it's nearly the same price as a retina.

I don't want to buy a first generation product when it's already <6 months to a likely second generation either, but I don't know that I'll be able to make it through the next 6 months with only my air.

e: The retina screen isn't 100% necessary because I will probably only use it without 1/2 2560x1440 monitors plugged into it about 20% of the time over the next year or two-- but I am definitely willing to pay the extra 200-300 premium for the times I do need it.

Shmoogy fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Oct 9, 2012

invid
Dec 19, 2002
Any idea how to extract data from a broken WD My Book Studio Mac (http://wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=200). I have tried extracting the hard-disk from the enclosure and hooked it up with a SATA-USB adapter, am able to see it but not able to read it on my Windows or Mac. Tried using test-disk, it detects the hard-disk but not able to rebuild partition table etc. Tried googling for answers and it seems like the hard-disk is hardware encrypted to the controller that is attached in the enclosure. I have sent it to a data-recovery company and was quoted 2.4k for their services. Am at my wits end and really don't know how to go about retrieving my work data.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

invid posted:

Any idea how to extract data from a broken WD My Book Studio Mac (http://wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=200). I have tried extracting the hard-disk from the enclosure and hooked it up with a SATA-USB adapter, am able to see it but not able to read it on my Windows or Mac. Tried using test-disk, it detects the hard-disk but not able to rebuild partition table etc. Tried googling for answers and it seems like the hard-disk is hardware encrypted to the controller that is attached in the enclosure. I have sent it to a data-recovery company and was quoted 2.4k for their services. Am at my wits end and really don't know how to go about retrieving my work data.

We use Data Rescue 3 for recovery, but it doesn't always work on really bad drives.

We use a company called DriveSavers for any recovery we can't perform in house. You might check them out as I think they might be a bit cheaper than what you were quoted. https://www.drivesaversdatarecovery.com

empty baggie fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Oct 9, 2012

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

I've had to open up a few of the dual drive My Book Studios, it might look smooth and polished on the outside but on the inside it's a nightmare.

The drives are sandwiched together in a metal case that has zero room for air circulation, and the fan is tiny and glued RIGHT onto the casing.

It amounts to providing cooling for that one spot right under the fan, I'm convinced it's only there to make you think 'drat what a great enclosure I can hear the fan working'

Anecdotal opinion: buy WD bare drives, not their packaged enclosures (which are probably designed by another firm anyway)

Feral Bueller
Apr 23, 2004

Fun is important.
Nap Ghost

empty baggie posted:

I'd say those drives will have USB 3.0 within a year. Are there any portable TB drives yet? I don't think I've ever seen one.

I just RMA'ed this to Western Digital and they sent me back this.

taint toucher
Sep 23, 2004

Sarcasmatron posted:

I just RMA'ed this to Western Digital and they sent me back this.

That's not so bad. I think I actually like the black metal styling better than the aluminum one.

Feral Bueller
Apr 23, 2004

Fun is important.
Nap Ghost
The 3TB wireless is $200. I'm very close to pulling trigger on that, as it would allow me to consolidate 5 drives down to 1.

Also: I've had to RMA 3 WD drives in the last 18 months. While that sucks, they mail out the replacements pretty quick, and they'll send the replacement first if you give them a CC.

cancelope
Sep 23, 2010

The cops want to search the train
I'm really really hoping for an update to the Mini before the end of this month... Should I bother holding my breath? I'm going on a holiday to the US from Oct 25 to Nov 4. There's a premium on the base model Mac Mini in the country where I live, so it would be pretty convenient if I could get an updated version. I could even buy a couple and sell them below market price here and still make a modest profit.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
On the one hand some places are reporting low stock or out of stock on the mini, which could absolutely mean a refresh. On the other hand, its not completely unheard of for stock to get low just because. Additionally, there have not been any rumors or leaks at all about the mini, which usually there would be leading up to a refresh. That being said, its pretty much a given there will be a product update towards the end of this month including 13inch rMbp along with an imac update. Though we havent heard anything about the mini I sure wouldnt buy one until after the end of this month to be sure.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Can we speculate about the 13" RMBP?

Will it have two TB ports like the 15"?

Will the 13" Pro be 'killed' or maybe made into some value model ($799)?

How much thicker than the Air will it be?

Will the battery life be ~ 7 hours like the current 13" Pro?

1280x800 'native' but ability to use 1440x900 or even 1680x1050 and have it look pretty decent?

Will the entry model be 8GB/256GB?

What will the pricing start at? $1499?

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

Bob Morales posted:

Can we speculate about the 13" RMBP?
You can, but I'd rather talk about my imaginary universe where justice is served.

Bob Morales posted:

Will it have two TB ports like the 15"?
Yes.

Bob Morales posted:

Will the 13" Pro be 'killed' or maybe made into some value model ($799)?
They already have the 13" Air, it's getting to be a tight market segment there.

Bob Morales posted:

How much thicker than the Air will it be?
Same thickness as the current rMBP, or slightly thicker.

Bob Morales posted:

Will the battery life be ~ 7 hours like the current 13" Pro?
No.

Bob Morales posted:

1280x800 'native' but ability to use 1440x900 or even 1680x1050 and have it look pretty decent?
It will have a 2880x2160 screen.

Bob Morales posted:

Will the entry model be 8GB/256GB?
4GB/128GB.

Bob Morales posted:

What will the pricing start at? $1499?
It depends on what the entry model is.

I don't think it'll be out until Haswell. Even if you consider the imaginary 4:3 13" rMBP I'm thinking of, it would be impossible to squeeze an Ivy Bridge CPU and discrete GPU and everything else into a 13" size at the same thickness as the current rMBP.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Syano posted:

On the one hand some places are reporting low stock or out of stock on the mini, which could absolutely mean a refresh. On the other hand, its not completely unheard of for stock to get low just because. Additionally, there have not been any rumors or leaks at all about the mini, which usually there would be leading up to a refresh. That being said, its pretty much a given there will be a product update towards the end of this month including 13inch rMbp along with an imac update. Though we havent heard anything about the mini I sure wouldnt buy one until after the end of this month to be sure.

We thought we were about to have a refresh when our store completely ran out of Minis, and then the entry 21" iMac.

Two days later, fully restocked.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Despite the fact that the Air is "officially" Apple's consumer notebook, most of the people it's aimed at (students, regular joes, etc) actually go for the 13" Pro, so I have to imagine Apple will keep it around for a more gradual transition.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
What gives you that idea? Anecdotally I don't know anyone who has bought a 13" Pro since the 2nd gen Air was released.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
The fact that it's the most common computer people have in the Apple Store and the fact that it's the computer I saw the most at my school.

Also the fact it's the best selling computer on Amazon, and the fact it's the best seller was frequently mentioned when the 15" was released (mostly in surprise)

It's probably due to a couple of factors: Due to the fact a lot of people have it, it's obviously going to have a word of mouth effect. It also has a much bigger hard drive, and most people looking for an entry level Mac probably have no idea what an SSD is, much less the benefits of it. The optical drive might factor in, too.

Nut Bunnies fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Oct 11, 2012

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Beaten.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

As was mentioned above, it's Apple's top selling computer. I think the white macbook is the only portable form factor that has sold more in Apple's history. Definitely the most popular at our store, by at least 4 to 1.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Nut Bunnies posted:

The fact that it's the most common computer people have in the Apple Store and the fact that it's the computer I saw the most at my school.

Also the fact it's the best selling computer on Amazon, and the fact it's the best seller was frequently mentioned when the 15" was released (mostly in surprise)

It's probably due to a couple of factors: Due to the fact a lot of people have it, it's obviously going to have a word of mouth effect. It also has a much bigger hard drive, and most people looking for an entry level Mac probably have no idea what an SSD is, much less the benefits of it. The optical drive might factor in, too.

Plus it's been around longer. The good MBAs have only been out for two years, while the 13.3' aluminum MacBook/Pro has been around for twice that, and are still supported by the latest release of OS X.

CombatMedic
Feb 26, 2004

ANUDDAH SUCCESSFOOL PRECEEDJUH!
As someone who hasn't ever followed Mac hardware before, how often do they refresh Macbook hardware? Once a year like everything else?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

CombatMedic posted:

As someone who hasn't ever followed Mac hardware before, how often do they refresh Macbook hardware? Once a year like everything else?
Generally twice a year, but there's no rule. Lately it's been an architecture refresh in the spring, and then a minor spec bump around the holidays. It just depends on what Intel puts out and what prices are.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

dissss posted:

What gives you that idea? Anecdotally I don't know anyone who has bought a 13" Pro since the 2nd gen Air was released.
I tried to convince the last developer we hired to get the Air but he insisted on the 13" Pro

CombatMedic posted:

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Generally twice a year, but there's no rule. Lately it's been an architecture refresh in the spring, and then a minor spec bump around the holidays. It just depends on what Intel puts out and what prices are.

Holidays you say?

I am about to get some tuition reimbursement and will need a new laptop by March/ April of next year.

Was thinking of getting an rMBP middle/end of November next month. So when you say holidays do you mean around Thanksgiving or Christmas time frame? Either way it sounds best to wait until New Year time frame if a smallish bump in specs is due.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Er, the holiday spec bump is basically never worth waiting for. In the past it's like a 100MHz faster CPU.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

MrBigglesworth posted:

Holidays you say?

I am about to get some tuition reimbursement and will need a new laptop by March/ April of next year.

Was thinking of getting an rMBP middle/end of November next month. So when you say holidays do you mean around Thanksgiving or Christmas time frame? Either way it sounds best to wait until New Year time frame if a smallish bump in specs is due.
Sounds like you're in a good position to wait for the Apple Store refurbs on that holiday spec bump to come in.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Er, the holiday spec bump is basically never worth waiting for. In the past it's like a 100MHz faster CPU.

That's 100MHz more CPU for blogging and making lovely music though :confused:

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
So the next thing I need to think of.

The rMPB will be a desktop replacement for me. I want to keep my current Win7 computer which is a first gen Core2Duo with a bunch of hard drives in it for a media/network server. What do you guys recommend? Should I convert it using Windows Home Server for my wifes old laptop and my Win7 install Ill put on the Mac, or just pretty much leave it as is and setup sharing of folders to access stuff?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

MrBigglesworth posted:

So the next thing I need to think of.

The rMPB will be a desktop replacement for me. I want to keep my current Win7 computer which is a first gen Core2Duo with a bunch of hard drives in it for a media/network server. What do you guys recommend? Should I convert it using Windows Home Server for my wifes old laptop and my Win7 install Ill put on the Mac, or just pretty much leave it as is and setup sharing of folders to access stuff?

I did exactly this, except my Desktop was a Hackintosh, but now runs Windows 7. I just share the folders and a hard drive through Windows' built-in sharing services. In fact, I use that computer as the media server, and I have another computer hooked up to my TV as a XBMC HTPC. But I also have XBMC on my Mac for when I'm too lazy and just want to watch the media from the rMBP.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)
A couple of questions about my Mac Mini:

1) What's the best way to replace the HD with an SSD?
2) Should I buy Apple Care? Can I buy it after I bought my Mac, already?
3) Wireless HDs - which one should I get?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Oxford Comma posted:

A couple of questions about my Mac Mini:

1) What's the best way to replace the HD with an SSD?
2) Should I buy Apple Care? Can I buy it after I bought my Mac, already?
3) Wireless HDs - which one should I get?

1) http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing+Mac+Mini+Mid+2011+Hard+Drive+Replacement/6422/1
2) If it's still within warranty, yes. You may have to take it in to be inspected. If you can't, use Square Trade for your warranty. I've nothing but good experiences with them. Search for 20 and 30% off coupons.
3) dunno