Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

PaybackJack posted:

Know that feeling. I can't wait for the expansions already. TAKE MY MONEY drat YOU!!!!

That would be good if I was constantly carrying games around, or I had a small enough collection to want to carry it all around in one bag, but even that seems excessive. I'd mostly likely be constantly switching games in and out of the bag and the boxes on my shelves. I can understand some people might like it but honestly who wants to carry around 8 expansions for Dominion, 6 boards for Ticket to Ride, Puerto Rico, Kingdom Builder and Settlers? Oh no having to lug boxes from my trunk all the time, why I might have to make two trips! I guess there's a lot of people that would rather toss the boxes and throw everything in one but I rarely have a game night where more than 2 of my games are being played so I would really rather not carry along 4 other games. Certainly looks nice though!

I'm more interested in the prospect of reclaiming an entire closet that is currently full of game boxes, condensing all the games into 2 bags that would be a permanent storage solution, and throwing the boxes the gently caress out. Because face it, the packaging for modern games is far more concerned with ease of manufacturing, shipping, and warehouse/store-shelf stocking/display than with anything like being useful for storing the game pieces for the end user in any sort of useful manner.

Edit: okay maybe throwing them the gently caress out is a bit extreme (might want to break up the collection or trade/sell something at some point), but I could at least put them up in the attic or something.

St0rmD fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Oct 8, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

St0rmD posted:

I came across this Kickstarter for a pretty awesome storage system for game collecting. I'm definitely intrigued by the idea of condensing a dozen game boxes into a messenger bag, but on the other hand, it's a little pricey. Still on the fence about whether I'm going to kick in, but I figured there'd be interest in this thread.

In one bag, he fit 6 versions of TTR (6 different boards, but only 1 set of trains/cards), 2 copies of Settlers, Kingdom Builder, Puerto Rico, and 8 Dominion expansions, all sorted and organized.

I needed this two weeks ago when I was camping.

I took a huge plastic bin filled with games. This would have been a lot easier, and saved more room for beer.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.
I like the way you camp! :waycool:

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.
My loving mind just exploded. :psyboom:

Words with Friends, which began life as a IP-skirting knock-off of Hasbro board game Scrabbleis now a Hasbro board game. :eek:

BlueInkAlchemist
Apr 17, 2012

"He's also known as 'BlueInkAlchemist'."
"Who calls him that?"
"Himself, mostly."

Beelzebozo posted:

Words with Friends, which began life as a IP-skirting knock-off of Hasbro board game Scrabbleis now a Hasbro board game. :eek:

:stare:

More evidence of my conclusion that the majority of people on the planet with Internet connections have, paradoxically, no loving memory span whatsoever.

Porterhaus
Jun 6, 2006

Zero to Gyro
Last year, I hit the Craigslist roommate jackpot and moved into quite the boardgame collection:

7 Wonders
Biblios
Blokus
Bohnanza
Carcassonne (Inns and Cathedrals)
Cards Against Humanity
Catan (Cities and Knights)
Citadels
Dominion (Intrique, Prosperity)
Hey! That's My Fish
Lost Cities
Pandemic
Race for the Galaxy
Tichu
Ticket to Ride
Torres
Quiddler

In an attempt to start pulling my weight (I was primarily the electronics/home theatre guy), I've since added:

Agricola (new in slightly-dinged box for $28 at GenCon)
Glory to Rome: Black Box
In the Year of the Dragon
Morels
The Resistance
Stone Age
Space Alert

I'm looking to continue expansion of our collection, but would like to round it out. 7 Wonders, Carcassonne, and Dominion probably get the most group play, but my girlfriend and I play Lost Cities and Morels the most. I'm also looking for a more complex "gateway" game that I can leverage to get my casual board gaming friends (who mostly play Catan) to bite on something a bit more meaty.

Candidates for my next purchases that I've been considering are:

A Game of Thrones: Second Edition or Battlestar Galactica as a means to lure my casual friends (who are huge fans of both shows) into trying something with a bit more depth.

Innovation or Jaipur to play with my girlfriend. We tend to like two player games, and she hates anything with dice. Poor girl rolls far below what should be statistically realistic. Needless to say I don't get to play bar dice much anymore.

Ingenious or Hive: Pocket as we are lacking in travel games beyond Lost Cities

Any thoughts? I'm also taking general suggestions for things to try that would even out the collection a bit. I'd say we are more than good on worker placement games for the moment.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Love Innovation, and my girlfriend is always up for a game.

I also love Hive Pocket, but I seriously can't find anyone who enjoys strategy/chesslike games. Annoying.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

Tenderloin posted:

I'm also looking for a more complex "gateway" game that I can leverage to get my casual board gaming friends (who mostly play Catan) to bite on something a bit more meaty.

At the risk of aggroing half the thread, I am going to suggest with full sincerity that Small World has managed to fit this bill for me in the past.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Tenderloin posted:

A Game of Thrones: Second Edition or Battlestar Galactica as a means to lure my casual friends (who are huge fans of both shows) into trying something with a bit more depth.

Definitely pick up Battlestar. GoT is fun, but it can be complex and offputting to relatively new players, at least in my experience. Battlestar is complex too, but I think a bit easier to grasp, and everyone is immediately invested from the getgo. With GoT, it's not hard for a player to essentially get backed into an unwinnable position early game, especially if they're not regular board game players.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Beelzebozo posted:

Ahahahaha. I can't wait for the Draw Something boardgame.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Quidnose posted:

Ahahahaha. I can't wait for the Draw Something boardgame.
You don't have to wait (buy now)

http://www.hasbro.com/games/en_US/shop/details.cfm?R=2BB5C200-5056-900B-10EE-7B498EF948AA:en_US

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Ahahahaha WHAT THE poo poo.

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!

Zynga posted:

The top mobile drawing game has been brought to life!

How anyone drew anything before this product is totally beyond me.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Siroc posted:

How anyone drew anything before this product is totally beyond me.

That's silly. It was called Pictionary.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
First they made an Angry Birds board game, and I said nothing, for I acknowledge that it could be converted into a game of dexterity...

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea
To be fair, Hasbro is still pocketing a chunk of money for selling these games, and their rise in popularity is directly due to Zynga's efforts in pushing them. It's like Star Wars Monopoly, except instead it's Mobile Phone Scrabble/Pictionary.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

I just saw this add on BGG.

:wtc: Clearly what has been holding back the board game industry from really taking off is the lack of lateral marketing strategies into kitchen wares.

Variant rule: Must play the game wearing a full pair of oven mits.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Cocks Cable posted:

:wtc: Clearly what has been holding back the board game industry from really taking off is the lack of lateral marketing strategies into kitchen wares.

Obviously if Monopoly, America's favorite game, ties its marketing to lovely-rear end McDonald's then Catan, nobody's favorite game, needs to tie itself to wholesome self-prepared meals.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I think there's some potential in synergizing board games with food.

For instance, I think Dominion would work well with cross-promoting all-you-can-eat buffets.

e: I'd probably apply Catan more to putting frozen meals in the oven myself.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Space Hulk: Death Angel rules clarification?

If you have a location card on your bottom marine and on your second from the bottom marine (both locations on the same side of the formation) and the bottom marine dies, do you move the bottom swarm AND location card up so that there are two location cards on the same side of your new bottom-most marine? Or does the swarm move up and the location card stays put with no corresponding marine next to it?

I've really been enjoying Death Angel as a solitaire game but man, I don't think they could've made the rule book more disorganized and confusing if they'd tried. The BGG FAQ helps but I still can't quite work out the correct way to move locations and swarms around when someone dies.

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Ronald Reagan? The actor!?

Lawen posted:

Space Hulk: Death Angel rules clarification?

If you have a location card on your bottom marine and on your second from the bottom marine (both locations on the same side of the formation) and the bottom marine dies, do you move the bottom swarm AND location card up so that there are two location cards on the same side of your new bottom-most marine? Or does the swarm move up and the location card stays put with no corresponding marine next to it?

I've really been enjoying Death Angel as a solitaire game but man, I don't think they could've made the rule book more disorganized and confusing if they'd tried. The BGG FAQ helps but I still can't quite work out the correct way to move locations and swarms around when someone dies.

When I play, I limit it to one location per side per player, so I'd move the other location up too.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

mongol posted:

When I play, I limit it to one location per side per player, so I'd move the other location up too.

Well now I'm even more confused.

So if you have a situation like:
M# = Marine and number in the formation
L = Location card
S# = Swarm and number of genestealers in swarm

code:

M1  L  S3
     M2  L  S2

And Marine2 dies, should the board look like this:

code:

M1  L  S5
            L

Or like this:
code:

M1  L  L  S5

E: VV Makes sense, thanks!

Lawen fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Oct 10, 2012

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

It's the second one. mongol just has a houserule because otherwise what happens is that location, once united together always remain together. Rules as written, if the marine on the bottom row dies and had a location/swarms they both move up and all other location cards stay where they are.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop

Tenderloin posted:

Definitely going to recommend Battlestar. My game group are fans of both shows and own both of the games but only ever play BSG. Then again, my group is really passive when it comes to games with direct conflict and are too paranoid to make/break alliance. If that's not an issue with you guys you'll probably enjoy either one of the games a good bit.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

Cocks Cable posted:

I've seen more than one set of pictures detailing a game of Catan played with cupcakes, so oven mitts almost make sense.

Porterhaus
Jun 6, 2006

Zero to Gyro
CoolStuffInc is having a October sale with Descent 2E going for $42 with free shipping. Seems to be a good bit cheaper than I've ever seen it.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
For those of kickstarted Zombicide, I just sold my used copy on ebay for $300. I didn't think the game was as good as $140 merited, but it certainly isn't $300 good. So for anyone else who was disappointed by the final product, there is a lot of cash to be made right now.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-
Quick opinions on Alien Frontiers? There's a copy at my local store and I've seen some video reviews that make it look pretty fun.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

pbpancho posted:

Quick opinions on Alien Frontiers? There's a copy at my local store and I've seen some video reviews that make it look pretty fun.

It's okay. I don't really get excited about playing it, but it doesn't offend me to play it. Being a game with a lot of dice, you can get royally screwed by "rolling poorly," (read: not getting doubles by turn 2 or 3, which allows you to get another ship/dice) and there are a surprising number of "screw you" elements, which some people may not be a fan of. The aforementioned hostile elements make the late game kinda chaotic, as colonies are exchanged or displaced or whatnot, making scores fluctuate turn by turn pretty greatly.

Again, not a bad, medium-light weight game, and I don't generally turn down a game of it, but it's not something that I actively want to play. My tastes tend to swing away from Euro games, though, so take that as you will.

Evil Vin
Jun 14, 2006

♪ Sing everybody "Deutsche Deutsche"
Vaya con dios amigos! ♪

Fallen Rib

Tenderloin posted:

CoolStuffInc is having a October sale with Descent 2E going for $42 with free shipping. Seems to be a good bit cheaper than I've ever seen it.

You got my hopes up it was real free shipping and not spend $100 free shipping.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

pbpancho posted:

In my experience it's horrible when played with someone who's prone to analysis paralysis since you only roll your dice at the start of your turn which makes it impossible to plan ahead. My last four player game took 4 hours because of a single AP guy who locked everything up.
I like the game, but it can really drag on for far, far too long.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

My last four player game (...Alien Frontiers..) took 4 hours because of a single AP guy who locked everything up.

Wow - that's nightmare time. I would have faked a reason to leave at the 2 hour mark. We've played a fair bit of 4 player Frontiers, and never had a game take more than an hour.

Alien Frontiers is fine. It's pretty much "the American worker placement game", with far more politics (and explicit randomness) than other placement games I've played (which have all been proper Euros where placement scarcity is the prime method of interaction, and it's non-political).

It's light. There's a number of strategies to try (and they're made more variant based on rolls, cards, and opponent behaviour), but there's not infinite replay possibility. There's only so many ways you can approach the game, and those ways are pretty clear. Once everyone has the basics down and has a good state heuristic (ie. they can tell who's ahead), you'll find it coming down to politics and luck most of the time (which may or may not be OK for your group).

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005

Tenderloin posted:

A Game of Thrones: Second Edition or Battlestar Galactica

Skip Game of Thrones. It's great, but I hang out with a lot of board game people and I can still hardly ever get it on the table. There are always at least a games worth of people ready to play BSG. I've only ever played with all the expansions, so I can't speak to the base game.

If she doesn't like dice with numbers, have you ever considered dice with symbols? For a 2-4 person, light, fast game, I love Quarriors.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Electric Hobo posted:

In my experience it's horrible when played with someone who's prone to analysis paralysis since you only roll your dice at the start of your turn which makes it impossible to plan ahead. My last four player game took 4 hours because of a single AP guy who locked everything up.

It's at least less AP than Kingsburg, the other dice-as-workers worker placement game.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

Poopy Palpy posted:

It's at least less AP than Kingsburg, the other dice-as-workers worker placement game.

That's interesting as we played Kingsburg a while back and nobody seemed to take forever at it. I'll have to think about Alien Frontiers though, $50 can go a long way!

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Tenderloin posted:

Hmmm. Considering to go for this. What's the consensus on Descent 2nd Edition? Have only played the 1st edition game once and it was kinda fiddly.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.

Cocks Cable posted:

Hmmm. Considering to go for this. What's the consensus on Descent 2nd Edition? Have only played the 1st edition game once and it was kinda fiddly.

I think it's fantastic. It's really a lightweight tactical miniatures game with advancement rather than a dungeon crawl but it's easy to explain and learn (5 minutes to show people how to play) and fast and fun to play. Setup is quick and encounters take way less time than D1ed. I think it will have a lot of longevity with expansions

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I desperately wanted Descent 2e for my birthday and instead got buried in Arkham Horror expansions.

Which are good.

Rudy Riot
Nov 18, 2007

I'll catch you Bran! Hmm... nevermind.

pbpancho posted:

If youve got one, theres an iPad version that just came out. Very basic but it's only 5 bucks and you can see if its a game you'd want to own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Electric Hobo posted:

Ugh I have had this. Most of my AF games go for about 2 hours because there's always someone who doesn't know what the hell to do with his dice, or that the number on the opposite side of a 2 is a 5, or he works out his plan just right then realizes he's one energy short and spends the next 5 minutes working out how to get it in the same turn.

• Locked thread