Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

crime fighting hog posted:

Neato, something to read tonight.

So, my wife wants to try playing new Werewolf. I have the main book, but what else should I know going in? I figure its kinda like a biker gang type player group beating the poo poo out of spiritual trespassers and vampires. Am I missing the gist?

Werewolves aren't necessarily anti-vampire - that's more of a oWoD thing. They move in different circles most of the time and all that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
On that note, early oWoD still had the idea that Gangrel got on better with Werewolves, but it's nowhere as pronounced as people made it out to be. It was pretty much just 'they might not actively seek them out and eat their faces, so long as their humanity score is also high enough'

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Raepdog posted:

Any tips on how to make it look badass before I give up and indulge myself into paying someone to make it?

Somebody already did!

Seriously if you look at the other sigils they're all pretty low-effort. Oooh handcuffs, that screams ancient evil from beyond antiquity. How about a scary spider or eek a rat!

Maybe put it into a pentagram if you're feeling ambitious?

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Yeah, looking into it now- something with the spiral but also a seven pointed star or cross. Basically I've played a demon we'll call Andrymalis who takes over people at the moment of death so he has most if not all of the demon rules but also humanity- the thought being hes basically a Maeljin Incarna and is gifted/cursed with humanity so that he can understand it and truly corrupt humans.

Each time he dies he has come back with a different Vice. First he was a life coach of Envy who ruined people's lives before killing himself out of spite, then he came back a small puppy with Sloth who mostly just learned loyalty to the Wyrm, and then finally he came back as a bartender of Lust. Its kind of like a time lord in my view, same guy with personality changes.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Loomer posted:

On that note, early oWoD still had the idea that Gangrel got on better with Werewolves, but it's nowhere as pronounced as people made it out to be. It was pretty much just 'they might not actively seek them out and eat their faces, so long as their humanity score is also high enough'

One of the things that annoys the poo poo out of me when reading Apocalypse books is the use of Sabbat vampires as being like natural allies of the Wyrm. Number one, it's Apocalypse, why the hell is the word "Sabbat" showing up, and number two, it feeds into the idiotic implication that Camarilla vampires are the good guys, which... no, no, no.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Pope Guilty posted:

One of the things that annoys the poo poo out of me when reading Apocalypse books is the use of Sabbat vampires as being like natural allies of the Wyrm. Number one, it's Apocalypse, why the hell is the word "Sabbat" showing up, and number two, it feeds into the idiotic implication that Camarilla vampires are the good guys, which... no, no, no.

Didn't that get changed to all vampires being natural Wyrm allies?

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
All but a handful, yes, though not in any conscious capacity. Originally it was meant to be only vampires of 7 or lower humanity were perceived as wyrm tainted (making most Sabbat wyrm-tainted by default), but I think they stripped that out come 2nd ed Werewolf and divorced it entirely from mechanics.

There remained a number of Gangrel and, if memory serves, Toreador vampires who weren't perceived as wyrm-tainted and had slightly better than the norm relations with the garou, but they became the exception rather than the rule. Of course, originally, a whole lot of werewolves served the Inconnu for... some reason.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
I ran the Hunter demo last night for a group of all-D&D players. No WoD knowledge between any of them.

After a slow start in the first scene things picked up quick and it turned out pretty awesome. I explained things as we went along, they picked up the rules quickly and even got into the characters a bit. For some reason they really homed in on Vices and took those to heart.

By the end of the night they went up against the warlock boss and his ghostly servants. The players were now decked out in kevlar, shotguns, the works, and they were promptly mind-controlled to kill each other. Chaos erupts, pretty soon everyone was nearly dead, the ghosts were being really annoying and things were looking grim. A few really close calls saved them, like a 12-dice-pool shotgun blast coming up with zero successes.

Then in their moment of desperation, a player one-shots the boss.

:commissar:

It was a good demo, now they are asking about Vampire and Mage. Mission accomplished.

ritorix fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Oct 11, 2012

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Dark Destinies three arrived. Now, where'd two end up? I think it was two what had Vampire Jesus.

Project1
Dec 30, 2003

it's time
What are the "themes" of Werewolf and Mage? So far, all I've ever seen is "tear stuff up" and "blow stuff up", and power fantasies aren't really my thing. It's put me off actually trying them or looking into them.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Werewolf is basically "modern day Shamans, but with giant wolf monsters." Mage is...well.

quote:

Mage:The Universe Is hosed And So Are You. That poo poo You Imagined On Acid?
It's Real, And It's Going To Kill You, Everything You've Ever Known,
Everything You'll Never Know, And Then The Universe is Going To Kill Itself While
You're Screaming Inside Of It II: Electric Boogaloo

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The themes of Werewolf are conflict between your human and animal natures, and conflict between your sacred duty/sin and the realities of modern life.

The theme of Mage is discovery and self improvement: how you go about it and what you'll give up/acquire to obtain it.

Those should probably be better stated as some themes rather than the themes. There are a lot of games you can play with either system.

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Project1 posted:

What are the "themes" of Werewolf and Mage? So far, all I've ever seen is "tear stuff up" and "blow stuff up", and power fantasies aren't really my thing. It's put me off actually trying them or looking into them.

The theme of Mage is Hubris. You are given ultimate power within the limits of what reality can handle, and you can push those limits if you are OK with getting a couple black eyes. You have immense power over the material world. However, your power is tracked by a stat explicitly called Gnosis, the belief that the world is a flawed and inferior copy of a superior spiritual world. Gradually you grow dissatisfied with living a fantastic life as one of the most powerful supernatural creatures on earth, your every whim granted. You start to buy into the idea that somewhere out there, The Man is Keeping You Down. Nothing is good enough for you and eventually you overreach, probably harming millions of people in the process but gently caress them, right? They're just sleepers anyhow.

Or you join the Seers and help the gods maintain order in this world, protecting it from the selfish mages who would demand yet more. Sure, they will hate you and spread propaganda about how evil you are, but you will know that you are doing the right thing. And God will know too. And he will show his favor by giving you a Ferrari and a supermodel girlfriend for your birthday. Benevolent.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Project1 posted:

As a werewolf, it's all about territory and boundaries. You want to mold your territory to your tastes - on this side of the shadow and the other. You own and patrol those blocks, those parks, those streets. Other werewolves might covet your territory (and not just the Pure) and you might covet theirs. If they gently caress around in your territory; that's a paddlin'. Some spirits want to cross over into the physical world and mess around on your watch; that's a paddlin'. Some people or near-people want to mess around with the spirits on the other side of the gauntlet; that's a paddlin' too.

It's not like you try to solve ALL your problems with violence, but it feels good, man.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature
It's great seeing that said by actual people with more actual play experience of WoD. I always felt the books did a poor job of giving real advice on how to make the game follow its intended themes. What would you say are the main themes of Changeling (nWoD, of course)?

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Cyphoderus posted:

It's great seeing that said by actual people with more actual play experience of WoD. I always felt the books did a poor job of giving real advice on how to make the game follow its intended themes. What would you say are the main themes of Changeling (nWoD, of course)?

being a loser goth kid who thinks hes an otherkin. Also glorifying domestic abuse

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Cyphoderus posted:

Dealing with past abuse, just like Liesmith said. I'm pretty sure loser goth otherkin is less a theme and more a requirement.

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
My mekhet met a changeling in Tolth's game at an invictus party. Next sesh im gonna hunt him down and drink his blood. Im also gonna save some and feed it to a ventrue so that they think they have gone malkav

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Finally finished Changeling's 1E core book. It dragged on and on.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Cyphoderus posted:

If Forsaken is about being a gang patrolling your turf, Changeling is about being an ex-convict, out of prison and intent on returning to a life that no longer wants you. It's veterans back from the war, where everything went pear-shaped far afield and they're left to cope with their experiences and adjust, and there aren't any jobs. You've been through a life-changing event and you've fought tooth and nail to come home, but the home you came back to isn't the home you left. You aren't the same either, and you've picked up all these tics and tricks your instincts tell you to use. And they get you ahead, but at the same time they keep pushing away the normal life you tell yourself you want. And the life you fought to leave? It wants you back, both forcibly and through the enticement of changeling society.

There's some poo poo about "beautiful madness" and a palette of storytelling colors blah blah, but that's never struck me as central to the game as earning and fighting to keep your peace of mind.

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

Changeling is more about survival, both physically and emotionally. You were at some point captured by what basically amount to nigh-omnipotent, unknowable entities and made to serve some purpose in their realm which transformed you. Then you escaped. People talk about it basically being about domestic abuse, but it's really not. I would say that it's more about trauma, of which abuse is only a subset. Your captivity may have been spent as an undying soldier on an endless battlefield, or fixed to the sky as a makeshift sun.

Anyway, having made it back to the real world, you discover that it's not as you left it. You've been replaced by a fetch, an imposter which might just be a pleasant person that isn't aware that they're not real or it might be a sociopathic murderer. Also, it's possible that decades passed while you were away or that you spent decades away and were only gone for a moment. The beings that escaped from probably want you back. To survive, you'll probably have to band together with other changelings and they are all crazy.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Mr. Maltose posted:

The themes of Werewolf are conflict between your human and animal natures, and conflict between your sacred duty/sin and the realities of modern life.

This along with isolation. The higher your Primal Urge is the less comfortable people are around you. The only people who could understand you (other werewolves) are forbidden from relationships cause then you get ghost children.

The spirit world hates you, the other werewolves hate you, humanity hates you. It's a very Pack V.S the world theme. Sorry to quote my self but:

Volume posted:

Never sleep, never rest, never stop. You against the world, every time you turn around you find something else wanting to gently caress with you and the only people you can rely on is your pack.

MalcolmSheppard
Jun 24, 2012
MATTHEW 7:20

moths posted:

Somebody already did!

Seriously if you look at the other sigils they're all pretty low-effort. Oooh handcuffs, that screams ancient evil from beyond antiquity. How about a scary spider or eek a rat!

Maybe put it into a pentagram if you're feeling ambitious?

Simple symbols are better because they assume iconic status more easily. Demon is kind of back and forth, but V:TM and W:TA are minor graphic design triumphs. I think NWoD counterparts suffered by not being allowed to lift their ancestors' stuff enough.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
My favorite nWoD logo is the Mekhet clan symbol, since it contains an hourglass, and a sun, and a moon, and a spiderweb, and I think a scythe? Mysteries, we got 'em

MalcolmSheppard
Jun 24, 2012

Ferrinus posted:

My favorite nWoD logo is the Mekhet clan symbol, since it contains an hourglass, and a sun, and a moon, and a spiderweb, and I think a scythe? Mysteries, we got 'em

Oh God, that's why I hate it. Basically, if a 16 year old can't draw it from memory on lined paper, it's probably too busy.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
To this day, my favorite WoD symbol is the Virtual Adepts'
I know it makes me a gigantic nerd, but it's my computer/phone/google/all sorts of stuff background or avatar, and has been since highschool.

edit: This one

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Oct 11, 2012

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

MalcolmSheppard posted:

Oh God, that's why I hate it. Basically, if a 16 year old can't draw it from memory on lined paper, it's probably too busy.

Replace the Mekhet clan logo with that S thing, imo.

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!
Yeah, I thought it was changed in the clan book to the hourglass ouroboros.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
So here's an issue. Despite being a WoD product, the Dark Destiny books aren't really Vampire (or Werewolf, or Wraith, or MAge...) 'proper'. The stories are surprisingly decent sometimes, but they go against a number of basic ideas in the setting, e.g. embrace just by biting once, Dracula being dead...

There is, however, a story about the Peking Man being a vampire. And that is awesome.

JDCorley
Jun 28, 2004

Elminster don't surf
The Dark Destiny book should be considered the first fiction supplement for nWoD, before Requiem was even released. Who are you going to believe, a "calendar" or me?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Hey Loomer, I recently got the Darkness Unveiled VtES players guide. It kind of stinks so far (the advice and game variants don't look that interesting or well thought out) - but it looks there are short biographies for the core set vampires, which may help your census when you get to the card game.

MalcolmSheppard
Jun 24, 2012

Ferrinus posted:

Replace the Mekhet clan logo with that S thing, imo.

Ah, so they went with a simpler alternate? Interesting.

MalcolmSheppard
Jun 24, 2012

Error 404 posted:

To this day, my favorite WoD symbol is the Virtual Adepts'
I know it makes me a gigantic nerd, but it's my computer/phone/google/all sorts of stuff background or avatar, and has been since highschool.

edit: This one

I find the Ascension ones to be back and forth. I'm not fond of the Akashic logo, but I love less representational ones like the VAdept and Euthanatos.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

moths posted:

Hey Loomer, I recently got the Darkness Unveiled VtES players guide. It kind of stinks so far (the advice and game variants don't look that interesting or well thought out) - but it looks there are short biographies for the core set vampires, which may help your census when you get to the card game.

I was unaware it existed. What was the publication date, and where did you get it?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

There's some more about it on this site but it came out in 1995. Essentially, it was a tiny hardback that wasn't very useful and cost $15 in nineties dollars. On top of that, it was published by WotC and had this stupid string closure. I got a copy on ebay, because I thought it was the better one that came out later. Oops.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

I'm discovering I'm not the only person in my friend-group not put off by the really bad working name for the strix chronicles.

Good job white wolf in being weird and creepy once more.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

Little_wh0re posted:

I'm discovering I'm not the only person in my friend-group not put off by the really bad working name for the strix chronicles.

Good job white wolf in being weird and creepy once more.

I find it hilarious that players are now referring to adjusting old rules as "sexmurdering." (Ex. "I'm going to sexmurder Werewolf to balance with vampires")

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Sexmurder is a pretty apt name for what draculas do, though. It's not white wolf's fault that you only just realized that you grew up pretending to be a rapist. Accept that your whole life has been one big troll.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

I need a good starting stat block template for a hydra/dragon that will breathe acid, fire, ice, and whatever else I can think of. I don't suppose this already exists buried in a book somewhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

moths posted:

There's some more about it on this site but it came out in 1995. Essentially, it was a tiny hardback that wasn't very useful and cost $15 in nineties dollars. On top of that, it was published by WotC and had this stupid string closure. I got a copy on ebay, because I thought it was the better one that came out later. Oops.

Hmm. It's probably a bit of an ask, but would you mind PMing me the book's information on culture, dates of embrace/birth, actual Generation, and anything else you consider relevant (e.g. Caitiff with distinctive disciplines)?

• Locked thread