Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006

i didn't buy shit. i don't know what the fuck is going on.

Rick posted:

Most of the jailbreaking software on the mac doesn't seem to work on my old 3G, would I be better off moving it to a Windows machine and trying it there? Then, could I just resync it back to my mac without losing the jailbreak?

If you don't have a windows computer handy you can get yourself a legit version of Windows 7 and install it on VirtualBox. I don't think this counts as :files: because Windows 7 comes with a 30 day trial before you need to activate it. Hopefully the mods agree with me on that. Install VirtualBox, install windows in virtualbox, install guest additions and then install VirtualBox extensions so you can get usb 2.0 support.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-from-digital-river/

Edit: and to answer your question you could jailbreak it on Windows and then resync it back to your mac without losing your jailbreak assuming you don't have unprompted automatic updates turned on or something.

Denim Dude fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Oct 4, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

UndyingShadow posted:

How exactly does this work? It seems shady. Anyone have more info?

Lots of people have connections to people "on the inside" - direct access to carrier systems.
You give them your IMEI number, they enter it into the computer system. Instant carrier unlock.

I know it's becoming easier and easier on AT&T (for now), due to the way they handle unlocks. They may have updated their system to make it easier for unlock requests to be fulfilled because of their new "2 year" thing. Pretty much anyone there may have the ability to plug in an IMEI.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

From what I understand, every iPhone or iPad bought new will have iOS 6 installed, correct?

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006
You're looking ESPECIALLY shadowy this evening, Sir

Bouchacha posted:

From what I understand, every iPhone or iPad bought new will have iOS 6 installed, correct?

Yes.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT
You sure? For the longest time, the iPhone 4 and 4S continued to come loaded with 5.0 after 5.1 and later versions were released.

Miss-Bomarc
Aug 1, 2009
Given that iOS 6 was primarily about how Apple and Google hate each other now, I can't imagine that new hardware would not be sold with iOS 6.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

What a nice surprise, the iPad 2 I just bought came with 5.1.1

TheOP
Sep 12, 2002

Bouchacha posted:

Yea the iPad 2 I got in November 2011 still came with ios 4

Ezrem
Jan 23, 2006

Bouchacha posted:

My brother just got an iPad 3 (online Apple order) which came with 5.1.1 late last week.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
If they have old stock it'll come with older versions. New stock doesn't. Simple as that.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

If they have old stock it'll come with older versions. New stock doesn't. Simple as that.

Yeah I'm not really sure what's so hard to understand about it. I mean they don't take every boxed iPad with 5.1.1 and throw it into a fire when iOS6 comes out. It's a gamble what you'd get... based on when exactly (and where) you buy it.

Meroin
Apr 23, 2008
So has anybody else ever gotten stuck with an Error 21 or Error 1600 problem like this? Both my iPhone 4 and iPad (both on 5.1.1 jailbroken) are not able to be restored in iTunes by any means. For my iPad, this is preventing me from re-jailbreaking to fix buggy behaviour. Much worse, my iPhone isn't turning on unless plugged in, at which time it goes straight to recovery mode. iTunes gives me the option to restore, but nothing I've tried (legit update/restore, restore to factory defaults, pwned DFU mode, regular DFU mode, TinyUmbrella TSS server, edited hosts file, restored hosts file, stitching blobs to an IPSW, using a different install of Windows to restore) has worked. I even took it to the Apple store, where they told me they couldn't restore it.

I've done a LOT of googling to try to solve this, but no dice so far. I really believed one couldn't brick an iPhone, but that seems to be the case with mine. I'll happily elaborate on my problems if anyone has a fresh lead towards a solution other than the ones listed above.

Skam
Jan 6, 2008
I have just been given a 4S, however it is currently locked to vodafone (in the UK)

Unfortunately it has been upgraded to iOS 6 which (i think) means i can't easily unlock it

However i have seen people offering to do it for £60, are these people legit? i have no intention of actually spending that to unlock a phone so is there any cheaper way of doing it?

steamed horse
Dec 4, 2004

Skam posted:

I have just been given a 4S, however it is currently locked to vodafone (in the UK)

Unfortunately it has been upgraded to iOS 6 which (i think) means i can't easily unlock it

However i have seen people offering to do it for £60, are these people legit? i have no intention of actually spending that to unlock a phone so is there any cheaper way of doing it?

Call vodafone and ask them to unlock it. They should do it for much less than £60 if you're not locked in a contract.

steamed horse fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Oct 7, 2012

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
I found my old 3GS in a drawer that has a broken home button. I intend to give it to my 10 year old little sister to play games on.

However it gets stuck in a constant recovery loop. RecBot hasnt fixed it, a DFU Restore through Redsn0w hasn't worked (tried 5.1.1 and 6) and a straight update/restore on iTunes hasn't work either.

I've even edited the apple host files which may have been causing the error.

Goons, please help!

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Hamburlgar posted:

I found my old 3GS in a drawer that has a broken home button.

Start by replacing the Home button. ~$3 to do it dangerously or difficult way (break some plastic and tear out the old button, or pull the glued display apart), or ~$30 to replace the entire front assembly. (this is cheap considering the device retailed for $650.)

If it's old and had been sitting in a drawer (which would further kill the battery), you'd probably want a new battery if someone will be using the device full-time. It's ~$20 for a new battery.

Once it's working, put it in DFU mode and then restore in iTunes. Just blank your hosts file & reboot your computer to be sure it doesn't mess with anything.

Cyber Punk 90210
Jan 7, 2004

The War Has Changed
I just bought an iPhone 4s from Sprint today and it had 5.1.1

kahm
May 13, 2004

what's goin' on in this fridge
So how does this 'out of contract' unlock via AT&T work? If I buy a 4s on craigslist that is locked to AT&T, intending on unlocking it to use on prepaid and such, can I just call them and have them unlock it? Or do I have to go the jailbreak unlocking method?

Also, I'm so far beyond confused about jailbreaking and unlocking; I can't figure out what devices are able to be jailbroken/unlocked and which cannot. Is there an up to date chart somewhere that shows me what I can and can't do with a device given its current firmware and baseband versions?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

kahm posted:

So how does this 'out of contract' unlock via AT&T work? If I buy a 4s on craigslist that is locked to AT&T, intending on unlocking it to use on prepaid and such, can I just call them and have them unlock it? Or do I have to go the jailbreak unlocking method?

Also, I'm so far beyond confused about jailbreaking and unlocking; I can't figure out what devices are able to be jailbroken/unlocked and which cannot. Is there an up to date chart somewhere that shows me what I can and can't do with a device given its current firmware and baseband versions?
jailbreakmatrix.com is usually pretty up-to-date

I don't know for sure, but I thought only the account holder can request an unlock from AT&T, and then only after the contract expires. I know when I requested an unlock on my old 4 it wanted the account holder's name and last 4 digits of SSN. Maybe there's a way to do it after you buy a locked phone that's out of contract, but I don't know it.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

quote:

AT&T will unlock an iPhone under the following circumstances:
The person requesting the unlock is:
A current AT&T customer, or
A former AT&T customer who can provide the phone number or account number for the account.
The iPhone was designed for use on the AT&T network.
All contract obligations, including any term commitment, associated with the device to be unlocked have been fully satisfied.
The iPhone has not been reported lost or stolen.

I just submit my request. So we'll see.

Cyber Punk 90210
Jan 7, 2004

The War Has Changed
Anyone know a way to remove the status bar from only the lockscreen?

TheChipmunk
Sep 29, 2003

Eschew Obfuscation
On iOS 5, the camera has some stupid rear end bug that makes the picture orientation incorrect when you import into programs like Picasa. Is there any easy fix to this? (I believe the incorrect orientation occurs when you use the volume button)

Anyone else notice this?

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

TheChipmunk posted:

On iOS 5, the camera has some stupid rear end bug that makes the picture orientation incorrect when you import into programs like Picasa. Is there any easy fix to this? (I believe the incorrect orientation occurs when you use the volume button)

Anyone else notice this?

I think I remember hearing something about this being related to how it writes EXIF data and windows reading it differently.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
If I have a jailbroken 4S on 5.1.1, do I need to unjailbreak it before unlocking? For that matter, will I have to re-jailbreak it after unlocking?

Christoff posted:

I just submit my request. So we'll see.

I submitted a request a couple of days ago and just got a denial email today. I upgraded to a 4S earlier this year, so I guess they're sticking by their policy of not unlocking folks under contract still.

I guess I'm going the eBay unlock route.

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.

ibntumart posted:

I guess I'm going the eBay unlock route.

How is that 'legal'? I mean I understand the point of unlocking, but aren't those eBay unlockers primarily used to unlock blacklisted devices? Just curious, I'm unlocked on an iPhone 4 (AT&T out of contract).

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
It's not illegal to unlock your cellphone in the US. The unlocking services I skimmed only mentioned blacklisted phones to say those aren't always unlockable. My phone isn't blacklisted: I just want to be able to slap a different SIM in and have use of it when going abroad.

FLOOR
Jan 27, 2003

Guess where this lollipop's going?
Erasing question:

I have an iPhone 4 with 5.0.1 installed and jailbroken that I'm trying to sell. When I try to erase all contents and settings, it just goes right to the spinning white circle, and when I reset the phone, it's as if nothing happened at all (everything is intact as before). Is there any other way to erase the phone so that I can re-jailbreak it to 5.0.1 or 5.1.1?

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

FLOOR posted:

Erasing question:

I have an iPhone 4 with 5.0.1 installed and jailbroken that I'm trying to sell. When I try to erase all contents and settings, it just goes right to the spinning white circle, and when I reset the phone, it's as if nothing happened at all (everything is intact as before). Is there any other way to erase the phone so that I can re-jailbreak it to 5.0.1 or 5.1.1?
On iTunes. You can't restore from the OS while jailbroken

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011

FLOOR posted:

Erasing question:

Er, you're not using the "Erase All Content+Settings" option in the iPhone Settings app are you? Because you're not supposed to do that. I don't know the details, but it fucks up the jailbreak process somehow.

If you have the SHSH blobs saved, you can Restore in iTunes shift-click select a 5.1.1 ipsw (not too sure on the exact process since I've never had to downgrade). That will unjailbreak, restore, and update your iPhone to 5.1.1 so you can re-jailbreak it again.

FLOOR
Jan 27, 2003

Hmm, the only ipsw i have is a sn0wbreeze_iPhone 4-4.3.1 from some previous jailbreak. I assume that won't quite do the trick? And I was doing the erase all contents thing, I was following the advice in the first post:

If you're using a previously jailbroken device that is not running iOS version 5.1.1 or are currently not jailbroken:

2. Once your backup is complete return to your device and go to Settings – General – Reset – Erase all Content and Settings. This will make the jailbreak process much faster.

Is my best bet to try to find a 5.0.1 or 5.1.1 blob somewhere out there on the 'net?

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011
AFAIK, SHSH blobs are personalized, so you can only use the ones you've saved yourself. And since the 5.1.1 signing window's closed, you won't be able to get to 5.1.1, but 5.0.1 is still possible. I believe TinyUmbrella lets you save blobs to your computer and explains the process so search that up.

I'm pretty sure a jaibreak dev posted something about not using the Erase option on Twitter. Googling it shows a bunch of people having the same boot loop problem like this.

FLOOR
Jan 27, 2003

IncendiaC posted:

AFAIK, SHSH blobs are personalized, so you can only use the ones you've saved yourself. And since the 5.1.1 signing window's closed, you won't be able to get to 5.1.1, but 5.0.1 is still possible. I believe TinyUmbrella lets you save blobs to your computer and explains the process so search that up.

I'm pretty sure a jaibreak dev posted something about not using the Erase option on Twitter. Googling it shows a bunch of people having the same boot loop problem like this.

So, would saving my current 5.0.1 SHSH and restoring to it with iTunes bring me to a fresh 5.0.1?\

Edit - apparently tinyumbrella has my blobs from 4.0 to 5.1, cool. So I'm assuming that I can just download the 5.0.1 firmware and restore to it, then jailbreak from there.

FLOOR fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Oct 12, 2012

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011

FLOOR posted:

So, would saving my current 5.0.1 SHSH and restoring to it with iTunes bring me to a fresh 5.0.1?\

Edit - apparently tinyumbrella has my blobs from 4.0 to 5.1, cool. So I'm assuming that I can just download the 5.0.1 firmware and restore to it, then jailbreak from there.

Yep, make sure you shift-click the Restore button so iTunes will let you select the 5.0.1 ipsw file.

What I'm not sure about is the actual restore process for unsigned firmwares. I don't know how the blobs interact with iTunes so maybe someone else can chime in. Other than that, it looks good!

FLOOR
Jan 27, 2003

IncendiaC posted:

Yep, make sure you shift-click the Restore button so iTunes will let you select the 5.0.1 ipsw file.

What I'm not sure about is the actual restore process for unsigned firmwares. I don't know how the blobs interact with iTunes so maybe someone else can chime in. Other than that, it looks good!

I managed to stitch my 5.1 blob to a 5.1 firmware; so far things are looking good. Thanks for the pointers!

And it's finally seeming to loving work after using pwned dfu mode w/ redsn0w. Thank god.

FLOOR fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Oct 12, 2012

Miss-Bomarc
Aug 1, 2009
Don't forget to set your hosts file to point to Cydia's host, so that your firmware will actually get signed.

...and if you ever want to upgrade to non-jailbroken latest OS, *delete* that line from your hosts file or else it won't work.

bionictom
Mar 17, 2009
Hello!

I'm having troubles with my 3gs, and I hope someone can help me. I've been searching the net, most sites i found described the same procedure, but it doesn't work.

So, I have a 3gs on 5.1, jailbreaked, my blobs were saved in cydia.
I ran out of battery, and when i connected the phone to the computer to recharge, it started in recovery mode, and it's stuck.

When trying to recover in itunes (updated to latest version) I get error 3194. I tried using a 5.1.1 ipa file, but still the same error. I looked in the host file, and the ip that i'm supposed to delete isn't there. What are my options now?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
So what's up with this? scam? http://redpois0n.net/

"Chrnic dev team?" :raise:

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c

randyest posted:

So what's up with this? scam? http://redpois0n.net/

"Chrnic dev team?" :raise:

The download links just seem to "like" a Facebook page.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

quadratic posted:

The download links just seem to "like" a Facebook page.
The windows link goes to this http://stickfile.net/oBjGrIgpRb which wants me to "complete an offer" to download the file :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GLaDOS
Jan 25, 2009
I want to jailbreak so I can tether my iPad LTE to my laptop or Sprint iPhone 4S.

Just bought an iPad 3. Can I jailbreak it with Absinthe, save the SHSH blobs for safety, and then upgrade to iOS 6, and still be jailbroken while running iOS6?

And, if I wanted to, assuming I have TinyUmbrella and my blobs, I could go back to 5.1.1 if I wanted to?

• Locked thread