Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Q_res posted:

Lotus designed the Head, but otherwise it was just an LT1, wasn't it? It's also worth noting, that while the ZR-1 may well have stickered for less than $60k they were routinely going for $90k+ new. They even hit six figures at one point IIRC.

Ah no, you are confusing the LT4 with the LT5. LT4 is a LT1 with better heads, LT5 was a hand built engine with low production numbers made just for the ZR1 and no pushrods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Q_res posted:

Lotus designed the Head, but otherwise it was just an LT1, wasn't it? It's also worth noting, that while the ZR-1 may well have stickered for less than $60k they were routinely going for $90k+ new. They even hit six figures at one point IIRC.

Yeah the wikipedia page I read mentioned that, but I imagine once they picked up the zr-1 body style for the base C4 the next year that the markups died down quite a bit?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Q_res posted:

No to the block. The only thing the LT5 shared with other LT series V8s was the bore spacing (4.4in). The bore and stroke were both different at 3.9 by 3.66 in (99 by 93 mm) instead of the usual 4 by 3.48 in (102 by 88 mm) and it featured Lotus-designed 32-valve DOHC heads.

The price thing is totally true on the other hand.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Elephanthead posted:

Ah no, you are confusing the LT4 with the LT5.
Being wrong about the LT5 doesn't mean I don't know what an LT4 is. It's just been a long time since I read about the LT5 (like 20+ years). However, I think I know where I got that idea from. The initial GM proposal was for DOHC heads for the existing small block V8. http://www.zr1netregistry.com/LT5tech.htm

Q_res fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Oct 5, 2012

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
Look, if you don't hear "Splash Wave" and want to take a sawzall to the roof of one of those Testarossas, you're on the wrong forum. :colbert:

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Octopus Magic posted:

Look, if you don't hear "Splash Wave" and want to take a sawzall to the roof of one of those Testarossas, you're on the wrong forum. :colbert:

Magical Sound Shower or bust :colbert:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/ant/cto/3309197561.html

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

I want the red car next to it.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Helping my girlfriend sell her car on craigslist. I have had almost a dozen emails so far, and every single one just says something along the lines of "i am interested please call me xxx-xxx-xxxx". Am I the only one who this drives batty? I don't really feel like spending all day on the phone, when I could easily just email the details and set up a time to see it.

You're already emailing me! Ask your questions, and we can sort out a test drive. I feel like details come across clearer in email than a phone call anyway.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

opengl128 posted:

Helping my girlfriend sell her car on craigslist. I have had almost a dozen emails so far, and every single one just says something along the lines of "i am interested please call me xxx-xxx-xxxx". Am I the only one who this drives batty? I don't really feel like spending all day on the phone, when I could easily just email the details and set up a time to see it.

You're already emailing me! Ask your questions, and we can sort out a test drive. I feel like details come across clearer in email than a phone call anyway.

This is the way of craigslist. Your dealing with the general population, which, is pretty amazing that half of them can even breathe. I am not an elitist by any means, but Jesus people, lets be a little nice to each other.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

opengl128 posted:

Old people/idiots that don't understand it's far less hassle to do things over email. I'm busy at work all day and don't want to spend my evening talking to mouthbreathers who lowball me by 3k on a 4k list price.

Put in the ad "Email (or text) only", in bold. Sure, you might weed out some people, but if they are interested they will deal with email. Have the courtesy to respond to them, even if they lowball you. If someone offers you a trade for a civic and a nice painting of 3 horses in a meadow (This actually happened) I just respond with "no" and delete the email thread.

On the flipside, I loving HATE sellers who don't respond, and also don't list a phone #. If you're going to check your email once a week then just put a phone # in the ad.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Lemons car?

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/3318466388.html

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
Isn't the limit $500?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah $500 and that thing is going to need some expensive fixes.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

In theory, yes. In practice, you can sell off parts to get back down to $500, or you can just fake your paperwork and stuff. If it's a cool and unsual car and not just yet another E36 or whatever, they'll let it slide.

e. Looks like this would be a Sonett III, which if it's really 1970, has the 1500 cc Ford V4 engine in it. Granted it's still a Saab, and a pretty rare car on top of that, but you might be able to get parts and/or do an engine swap. It'd be a cool project.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Oct 8, 2012

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Leperflesh posted:

In theory, yes. In practice, you can sell off parts to get back down to $500, or you can just fake your paperwork and stuff. If it's a cool and unsual car and not just yet another E36 or whatever, they'll let it slide.

e. Looks like this would be a Sonett III, which if it's really 1970, has the 1500 cc Ford V4 engine in it. Granted it's still a Saab, and a pretty rare car on top of that, but you might be able to get parts and/or do an engine swap. It'd be a cool project.

Where the hell do you people find cheap BMWs?

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Where the hell do you people find cheap BMWs?

Louisiana after a hurricane.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Well hello there. Boner, thy name is Datsun.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/3267990799.html

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

http://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/3322357373.html

Tempting, but the rust looks terminal as hell.

http://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/3327609309.html

Possible actual gold?

1st Edition ADandD
Aug 31, 2009

You don't want that. Look how teeny the engine bay is. The only thing you could do would be a rotary swap. :iamafag:

Fucknag posted:

http://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/3322357373.html

Tempting, but the rust looks terminal as hell.

Yep. That is circling the rust drain right there.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I think that is even more terminal looking than the 280z I looked at a couple of months ago.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Leperflesh posted:

It appears that it has all/most of the glass. That, and rebuilding the VDO gauges are the hardest parts. $850 for that condition is fairly common. Sometimes you can find a 'needs transplant' and a couple mostly-complete cars for that, but rare. Getting to the engine is also incredibly difficult. I almost bought one as a long-term project, then decided 'eh.. next century, when I can afford it'.

If you are actually interested, you will be living here.

Keep in mind that the Sonett is the smallest drat thing in the world. Twice over.

Here is a best-as-phone-can-do snapshot of a brochure that I have.

Since it is lightly illegible..

Overall length: 153.5"
Overall width: 59.1"
Height (unlanden): 47"
Wheelbase: 84.6"
Track (front): 48.5"
Track (back): 48.5"
Front overhang: 39.4"
Rear overhang: 29.5"
Effective headroom: 37"
Elbow room: 50.2"
Shoulder room: 45.7"
Luggace space: 7.1 cu ft.
Curb weight: 1805
Max loaded weight: 2330.

1st Edition ADandD
Aug 31, 2009

rscott posted:

I think that is even more terminal looking than the 280z I looked at a couple of months ago.

There are no bargain s30s, I don't know why people keep looking. Anything that isn't someone's project car is rotted out. The good news is that as long as you have a reasonably clean shell and :signings: you can more or less build a new one out of aftermarket...

GTi_guy
Oct 21, 2003

avas ye, matey

slidebite posted:

A Testarossa and an Anniversary Countach would make my teenage dreams come true.

I'd like a 959 too but lets not get crazy.

You should come to Ontario. The west coast ain't got nothin' on us.

From last weeks exotics cars and coffee. It was like my childhood poster realized, albeit grainier.

GTi_guy fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Oct 10, 2012

NeerWas
Dec 13, 2004

Everyday I'm shufflin'.

NeerWas fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Aug 9, 2023

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Haters gonna hate but even though there's gotta be a million things wrong with this car for this price, I would let it do terrible things to my wallet even though it is an autotragic.

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/ctd/3271812113.html

:edit: I'm not going to lie, I'm tempted to go check it out now. Mostly, so I can easily talk myself out of it when I see what a disaster it really is.

Edmund Sparkler fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Oct 10, 2012

Mike_P
Aug 4, 2006

"I dunnoooow"

That is a whole lotta car for not that much money.

Searching using the word "unique" always yields some gems:

:stare:

Mike_P fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Oct 12, 2012

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Never registered Shelby Lancer and Dakota on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1987...3#ht_628wt_1167

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1989...0#ht_500wt_1182

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
Both of those are amazing, but no way in hell will they fetch anywhere near the 20s.

The demand just doesn't exist, nor likely ever will.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

The wheel dollies made me LOL.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
What kind of problems would sitting unused so long cause, assuming they were stored so as to avoid rot/cracking rubber?

Wouldn't it be better to have 22 miles per year rather than total?

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

That is hilarious, because the guys on Fast and Loud got one of those, for FREE, and decided it was so bad they didn't want to sink any money into it. They donated it to one of those "cars for charities" orgs, and it auctioned off for $2500.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

Sigma X posted:

That is hilarious, because the guys on Fast and Loud got one of those, for FREE, and decided it was so bad they didn't want to sink any money into it. They donated it to one of those "cars for charities" orgs, and it auctioned off for $2500.

that's because it was hacked to poo poo, with a god awful non-stock paintjob, and from the few shots of the engine bay I could tell the EFI was ripped out.

I doubt any of the actual shelby stuff was still on it..

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
If I didn't already have a 240, I'd be on this like boxy on a 240.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

atomicthumbs posted:

If I didn't already have a 240, I'd be on this like boxy on a 240.

quote:

welded diff

Enjoy your increased tire wear!

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

FIRST TIME posted:

Haters gonna hate but even though there's gotta be a million things wrong with this car for this price, I would let it do terrible things to my wallet even though it is an autotragic.

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/ctd/3271812113.html

:edit: I'm not going to lie, I'm tempted to go check it out now. Mostly, so I can easily talk myself out of it when I see what a disaster it really is.

Did you check it out? I would love to get a 190e.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
This is pretty excellent

http://fortwayne.craigslist.org/cto/3327409199.html

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
http://vancouver.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-classic-cars-GT40-Replica-W0QQAdIdZ417895863

Why yes, I will buy your $50K replica car.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Viggen posted:

Stuff about Sonnets

Thanks for this info. I'm not really serious about buying one (at least not right now: house repairs come first) but someday I do want a cool project so this kind of information really helps to point me in the right direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

"does not run but was running previously"

You've described nearly every car ever made.