Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

hellfaucet posted:

A few of the higher viewed YouTube videos I was watching yesterday had the host's doing the shake with the gas attached. It makes way more sense now that you'd disconnect the gas lines while doing this, and way cleaner.

But then you don't have more gas to put into solution, right? It seems like it makes more sense to do with the gas on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Angry Grimace posted:

But then you don't have more gas to put into solution, right? It seems like it makes more sense to do with the gas on.

The pressure is high enough that there's all the gas you need in there, or plenty to carb it, anyhow. If you need more, you just re-dose it a bit.

Seconding the "just put everything at serving pressure and leave the ones you're carbing alone for a couple weeks," though.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Docjowles posted:

What are you using to decide that nothing's happening? If you're just not seeing the airlock move, there could be a bad seal on the bucket somewhere and it's no big deal. When you opened the bucket did you see any sign of foam or crud on the sides or anything that might indicate fermentation happened?

Take a gravity reading if you have a hydrometer, or just taste it and see if it's still super sweet like unfermented wort or if it tastes like a beer.

When you say the temp dropped, what temperature are you fermenting at? [edit: hurr nevermind, you answered that] If it's really cold that could prevent the yeast from working. You definitely didn't ruin your batch by sucking a tiny amount of water into it.

Yeah, I probably should have mentioned it, but when I added my second batch of yeast there was no sign of krausen at all. No foam, no film on the sides, nothing. I took a gravity reading right before I sealed it up the first time (1.042 adjusted), but is there a chance of any significant drop if there's no krausen? I want to minimize how often I open the pail, to avoid infection.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I recently had a batch I thought was not fermenting, but then I opened the bucket and there was a huge krausen inside - it turns out the airlock had evaporated all the liquid out.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!

Nolanar posted:

[I]s there a chance of any significant drop if there's no krausen? I want to minimize how often I open the pail, to avoid infection.

The only way to be really completely sure is to pull a gravity reading. The chances of two bad packet of yeast, especially good dry yeast like Fermentis, are vanishingly small.

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony
Looks like the keg was really full. Tilted it and had minimal spray.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

hellfaucet posted:

A few of the higher viewed YouTube videos I was watching yesterday had the host's doing the shake with the gas attached. It makes way more sense now that you'd disconnect the gas lines while doing this, and way cleaner.

You definitely need the gas on there won't be enough CO2 in the keg to carbonate the beer (not in the tiny amount of headspace), the trick I learned is to carbonate via the beverage disconnect - this way you can keep the keg right-side up while you're shaking it, and the dip tube goes all the way to the bottom.

I refrigerate my beer for 48 hours to make sure it's as cold as possible and then shake for 10 minutes at 30psi with the gas on (gas should audibly be bubbling through almost the entire time). I adjust up or down depending on the style but that's the average.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Super Rad posted:

You definitely need the gas on there won't be enough CO2 in the keg to carbonate the beer (not in the tiny amount of headspace)
You really don't, provided a couple things:

quote:

make sure it's as cold as possible
That's one of them.

quote:

30psi
That's the other. Try it at 50-80psi (depending on how cold it is) and you'll just have to re-dose it a couple times during the cold-shake.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
We're thinking about doing a batch of mead for a dorky Game of Thrones premier party next (spring?) and I was looking at the NB kits last night and they seem kind of boring. 2 quick questions:

1) Anyone have any experience with doing additions/what did you do/how did it come out?

2) I see that you continually feed the yeast throughout the process, so should I bother with a yeast starter? (Wyeast 4021 Champagne Yeast)

I like making starters so if the answer is "you don't need to but it certainly wouldn't hurt" then I probably will anyway.

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT

fullroundaction posted:

We're thinking about doing a batch of mead for a dorky Game of Thrones premier party next (spring?) and I was looking at the NB kits last night and they seem kind of boring. 2 quick questions:

1) Anyone have any experience with doing additions/what did you do/how did it come out?

2) I see that you continually feed the yeast throughout the process, so should I bother with a yeast starter? (Wyeast 4021 Champagne Yeast)

I like making starters so if the answer is "you don't need to but it certainly wouldn't hurt" then I probably will anyway.

1) I have used vanilla, ginger, black cherries, and oranges before, which all turned out pretty good. I have tasted cinammon/vanilla ones before as well (commercial mead) which I did not care for very much. Look up an established recipe, and scale it to the size of the batch you are doing.

2) How big of a batch are you doing?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Feed the yeast throughout? I've never heard of that. My mead came out just dandy without anything more than pitching once at the start, racking 6 months later, and then forgetting about it for a few years.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

fullroundaction posted:

We're thinking about doing a batch of mead for a dorky Game of Thrones premier party

cobalt impurity posted:

I just bottled my blackberry mead, so I thought I'd share a bit.

It was made using 3 pounds of wildflower honey and spring water to make a gallon. No heat, a bit of nutrient. Pitched Wyeast 4184 and let it ferment out. Racked onto puree of a pound of blackberries and left to age for two months. Pectic enzyme cleared up the awful haze it had after two weeks.

It tastes amazing. The fruit flavour really stands out. It is deliciously tart and not too sweet, but not at all dry. There's a distinct honey finish and it's strong in the nose, too. This is the first thing I've made that was so enjoyable right out of the fermenter and I'm happy with myself. :cheers:

In addition to this, I have also done a ginger recipe, strawberries, and an orange and spice recipe based on Ancient Orange. If what you're adding isn't too acidic then it's perfectly fine to throw it in when you pitch. Honey is already pretty inhospitable to microorganisms so you don't want to go too crazy.

The first time I did the Ancient Orange was also my first batch of anything ever, so I followed the recipe and just added orange slices along with the clove and cinnamon. It turned out fine except I used bread yeast and it had to age for a good 8 months before it was pleasant. I also had to back-sweeten this since it was too dry for my tastes, but to fix that I'd just use more honey at the beginning and a better yeast.

The ginger was an early addition too. Just peel it, slice it up, toss it in. For this and my subsequent ones, I use Wyeast 4184 "Sweet Mead" yeast. It turned out great except the ginger flavour was too weak based on the recipe I had, so I'd recommend at least 2 ounces of ginger per gallon.

The strawberries and blackberries had their own set of problems that I now know how to solve. You can do these both in primary and the fermenting process will help macerate them and get the flavour out without you having to puree them or anything. Put them in a closable mesh bag because dealing with all that pulp is a nightmare if you can't just pick up the bag and toss it out. You will also want to use pectic enzyme to keep fruit meads from getting hazy; supposedly they also bring out the fruit flavour more, but :shrug:. Mine were very fruity but still have the distinct honey characteristics.

In a glorious display of idiocy, I tried to intensify the orange flavour in my latest Ancient Orange by adding just juice and zest instead of whole orange slices. It brought the pH down to 3.8 and killed off my yeast almost immediately. I had to pitch some bread yeast to keep me from completely wasting it all. If you're going to use a high-acid juice, add it in secondary.

As for continually feeding the yeast, I have never done this. I added all my nutrient up front, oxygenated the must, then pitched. Haven't had any problems with stuck fermentation or bad flavours or anything. A yeast starter would certainly help, but constantly babying it during primary isn't necessary. Just make sure you make your starter out of the honey you intend to use and some nutrient and not DME or anything that will dramatically change the flavour.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

ScaerCroe posted:

2) How big of a batch are you doing?

Most likely 3 gallons. I'm not sure I can get through more mead than that in a year.

Bad Munki posted:

Feed the yeast throughout? I've never heard of that.

Unless I'm misunderstanding the recipe - it's not worded very clearly: http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/meadkits/ArtisanalGeneric3.pdf

(read the part under BEYOND BREWING DAY – FIRST ONE TO TWO WEEKS)

Edit: the 5 gallon instructions have more feed times it looks like.

Awesome advice, thanks for this post!!!

fullroundaction fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Oct 12, 2012

UpfrontSalmon
Nov 4, 2011

I prefer the term "Battle FROG."

fullroundaction posted:

Most likely 3 gallons. I'm not sure I can get through more mead than that in a year.

I'll help, okay?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Bad Munki posted:

Feed the yeast throughout? I've never heard of that. My mead came out just dandy without anything more than pitching once at the start, racking 6 months later, and then forgetting about it for a few years.

I haven't made mead myself so I won't say much more, but I've heard from a number of sources that doing several nutrient additions over the first couple weeks can cut out that whole "forget about it for a few years" step. It's good to go after a few months without the harsh flavors people associate with lovely young mead.

You're not feeding it constantly so maybe that was misleading. But instead of one big rear end nutrient addition up front, you're doing 3 or 4 over the first 2 weeks of fermentation.

fullroundaction posted:

It's not for all palates but the best mead I ever had was a homebrew infused with jalapeno peppers. So good.

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

Is it a big deal if my primaries ferment around 72 degrees and my secondaries sit around 64 degrees in my basement? I have kind of a smallish house and can't fit all my carboys into one closet upstairs.

Also, does putting secondaries on the basement floor gently caress poo poo up at all? My first batch of amber (first batch ever) tastes kinda weak, wondering if maybe this is why.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

hellfaucet posted:

Is it a big deal if my primaries ferment around 72 degrees and my secondaries sit around 64 degrees in my basement? I have kind of a smallish house and can't fit all my carboys into one closet upstairs.

Also, does putting secondaries on the basement floor gently caress poo poo up at all? My first batch of amber (first batch ever) tastes kinda weak, wondering if maybe this is why.

I would imagine that you would want it the other way around, with the primaries at 64 and the secondaries at 72. Typical ale yeasts ferment best in the mid to high 60s - the exothermic reaction of fermentation will cause the beer to gain a few degrees over ambient.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

Docjowles posted:

I haven't made mead myself so I won't say much more, but I've heard from a number of sources that doing several nutrient additions over the first couple weeks can cut out that whole "forget about it for a few years" step. It's good to go after a few months without the harsh flavors people associate with lovely young mead.

My oldest mead is 1 year and 1 month. My youngest is 5 months because I forgot about it. They are both quite drinkable and the only harsh flavour was from lovely yeast. Leaving it for years would certainly improve the flavour, but really isn't necessary if made well.

e: and now I want to try an ancho infusion.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Docjowles posted:

Well, in my case, the "forget about it for a few years" thing wasn't entirely intentional, I'm just really loving good at not ever seeing things I leave in plain view. My mead literally sat on the wall end of the kitchen peninsula under a brown paper bag that entire time. The paper bag meant it transformed to "meaningless pile" in my mind and then it was three years later.

I did taste it when I racked it around the 6-month mark, though, and it was perfectly good then, too. I'm not convinced it actually changed over the following years. However, I do have some small-batch mead plans in the near future, so if feeding the yeast will help, I'd certainly be willing to give it a try. I just don't think it's absolutely necessary, though. :)

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
I can't find it right now with a quick search but there was a study published in the 70s? that showed the benefits of yeast nutrients in mead fermentations. They found that not adding them resulted in long, drawn out and often stuck fermentations with the associated off-flavors from stressing the yeast. That may be somewhat less of a concern these days with better quality yeast strains and sanitation. The nutrient blend in Fermaid-K is based off of the results in that study.

I rehydrate dry yeast with Go-Ferm Protect, 1.25 g Go-Ferm and 25 mL of water per 1 g of dry yeast. Then at the first sign of fermentation, usually 24-48 hours later, I add the first nutrients, 1 g Fermaid-K and 1 g DAP per gallon of must. I add the same amount of nutrients a second time about 2 days later. This is supposed to be done at 1/3 sugar depletion and it usually drops 100 points by the end, so if your must started at 1.110 then you end up adding the first nutrients at 1.100 and the second at 1.080. Every day from pitching I'm stirring up the lees with splashing to oxygenate, and then without splashing after the second nutrient addition until the fermentation is complete.

Is it necessary to do all of that? No, chances are everything will work out fine and you may just need to let it age longer. However with the cost of honey these days I don't want to take any chances.

I think the NB instructions omitted adding one nutrient sachet at yeast pitching time and just mention adding the second 48 hours later. Or they meant adding one 48 hours after pitching and the other 48 hours after that. Either way it shouldn't make a big difference. My process is based on the mead making instructions from MoreBeer: http://www.morebeer.com/public/pdf/wmead.pdf

Champagne yeast is going to make very dry mead. I recommend Wyeast Sweet Mead if you're serving to people who don't know mead and except honey = sweet. It is supposed to leave some residual sweetness and from my experience it clears up really quickly, much faster than other wine yeasts I've tried.

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006

LaserWash posted:

Wanted to order a kit or two this week, but one of those I wouldn't have space for right away. Assuming that I'm brewing extract, with dry yeast, and something with specialty grains, how long can I wait until I make up one of those kits?

It looks like the biggest concern is the specialty grains and that everything should stay sealed and put in the freezer and the yeast in the fridge. Does this sound right?

Does AHS send their grains in sealed bags? That sounds like a stupid question, but I figured I should check.

I tried searching for an answer to this. Can someone help answer this?

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

LaserWash posted:

I tried searching for an answer to this. Can someone help answer this?

I've left kits out for a month or two and they made good beer anyways. This time around I'm keeping them in the freezer since I have room, LME too.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

I'd keep malt and malt extract at room temp and airtight. Yeast in the fridge, hops in the freezer. That should be good for up to a few months.

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006
What about crushed specialty grains?

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Also fine at room temp and airtight.

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006
Thanks guys.

I wonder how long Star San stays good in the bottle. AHS has 8 ounces for $8 and then 32 ounces for ~$16. Seems to me I should just go with the big bottle.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Cpt.Wacky posted:

Champagne yeast is going to make very dry mead. I recommend Wyeast Sweet Mead if you're serving to people who don't know mead and except honey = sweet. It is supposed to leave some residual sweetness and from my experience it clears up really quickly, much faster than other wine yeasts I've tried.

We went back and forth about this, mainly because everyone in our house loves super dry champagne and wine, but obviously when serving it to the general public they're going to be expecting something more desserty (and honestly I don't dig super sweet mead to begin with).

When you say "very dry" to you mean like "burn my tongue dry" or "this isn't really representative of mead and could just be any generic white/dry wine"?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

LaserWash posted:

Thanks guys.

I wonder how long Star San stays good in the bottle. AHS has 8 ounces for $8 and then 32 ounces for ~$16. Seems to me I should just go with the big bottle.

As long as the pH holds, basically forever.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I was thinking about doing a bourbon barrel aged Imperial Stout (since I've gotten a few of them I really liked recently) in the somewhat distant future and I was thinking - what if instead of just putting in some oak cubes and pouring a bit of bourbon in there, you just got some unaged (clear) corn whiskey (i.e. moonshine), poured it in the mason jar with the cubes and just left the cubes in there to age until you wanted to use them for beer - then you could just add the cubes directly. Wouldn't that approximate aging in an actual whiskey barrel closer than just pouring in a semi-random amount of whiskey? Or is just aging on oak cubes + pouring in some whiskey just as good?

I'm just thinking aloud on this based on something I read in Gordon Strong's book that pouring the whiskey in is not nearly as good and fairly obvious in taste (but I'm not entirely certain he's not just in weird Gordon Strong-Zen-of-Brewing-bullshit mode)

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Oct 12, 2012

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

fullroundaction posted:

We went back and forth about this, mainly because everyone in our house loves super dry champagne and wine, but obviously when serving it to the general public they're going to be expecting something more desserty (and honestly I don't dig super sweet mead to begin with).

When you say "very dry" to you mean like "burn my tongue dry" or "this isn't really representative of mead and could just be any generic white/dry wine"?

My experience has been "bone dry". You can always back-sweeten with non-fermentables like stevia, xylitol or whatever.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Trying a bottle from homebrew batch #6, my first all-grain that I also made with hops from my mom's garden. It's pretty good! :shobon:

dohminator
Oct 5, 2004

They can take our dignity. They can take all the hot women. But they will NOT take our jobs. And they will NEVER take our store!

Bad Munki posted:

From my experience, the forgetting about it for a few years is an integral part to producing good mead.

But yeah, simple as can be, all you need is a packet of yeast for a five gallon batch. I haven't had a batch yet where the yeast stopped short of their potential. Edit: I did you yeast nutrient and energizer from the get go with every batch.

If you want, adding 12 pounds of fruit in either primary or secondary is a nice addition. Just make sure to pick up some sparkaloid to clear everything out.

fullroundaction posted:

Mead gets better with age. Brew more, and if it sits for a while, it's not a big deal.

dohminator fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Oct 13, 2012

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

Angry Grimace posted:

I was thinking about doing a bourbon barrel aged Imperial Stout (since I've gotten a few of them I really liked recently) in the somewhat distant future and I was thinking - what if instead of just putting in some oak cubes and pouring a bit of bourbon in there, you just got some unaged (clear) corn whiskey (i.e. moonshine), poured it in the mason jar with the cubes and just left the cubes in there to age until you wanted to use them for beer - then you could just add the cubes directly. Wouldn't that approximate aging in an actual whiskey barrel closer than just pouring in a semi-random amount of whiskey? Or is just aging on oak cubes + pouring in some whiskey just as good?

I'm not sure why you'd think soaking them in moonshine would emulate a bourbon barrel. If you don't want to add straight bourbon just soak the chips in bourbon for a few weeks, and pour off the liquid and just add the straight oak chips/cubes/spirals/whatever. The oak will soak up some of the bourbon but you won't have whatever weird flavors you get from adding it straight.

Or you could just buy a used whiskey barrel:

http://www.homebrewing.org/Used-5-gallon-whiskey-barrel_p_2187.html

I've got 2 of these, one for personal use and one for our homebrew club. I just did an imperial brown ale in my personal one and am doing a winter warmer in the club one. I'm brewing a barleywine today for my personal barrel. It's pretty fun having a tiny barrel around.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Josh Wow posted:

I'm not sure why you'd think soaking them in moonshine would emulate a bourbon barrel. If you don't want to add straight bourbon just soak the chips in bourbon for a few weeks, and pour off the liquid and just add the straight oak chips/cubes/spirals/whatever. The oak will soak up some of the bourbon but you won't have whatever weird flavors you get from adding it straight.

Or you could just buy a used whiskey barrel:

http://www.homebrewing.org/Used-5-gallon-whiskey-barrel_p_2187.html

I've got 2 of these, one for personal use and one for our homebrew club. I just did an imperial brown ale in my personal one and am doing a winter warmer in the club one. I'm brewing a barleywine today for my personal barrel. It's pretty fun having a tiny barrel around.

I guess I was just thinking aloud about how they actually would age a barrel itself which would be to put some cask strength whiskey in it for a long time (which is basically just moonshine if its not aged); I have no clue how long it takes for oak itself to absorb a significant amount of liquid. Buying an actual barrel would probably be way too much though, I think that's something I would do if I had a clue what I was doing.

You're probably right though, I'm probably thinking about it too hard - just using regular rear end bourbon would probably work exactly the same.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Oct 13, 2012

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT
My homegrown Brewer's Gold hops (tart/fruity English variety) are just about dry and ready to be used in my annual Harvest Brewer's Gold IPA. I typically do a SMaSH beer and dry hop the poo poo out of it, as I like to taste the influence of these hops, but I would like to switch it up a little this year.

I was thinking of doing an English IPA recipe with a good malty backbone to complement my English hops. Anyone have a recipe they swear by?

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
Sup brewing thread,

What yeast do you all use for your cider? I'm looking for something that'll get me a bit drier than Strongbow, but not super dry (not gonna use champagne yeast).

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
Does anyone know of a good Southern Tier Harvest Ale clone, or perhaps knows what hops they used?

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

Mr. Glass posted:

Sup brewing thread,

What yeast do you all use for your cider? I'm looking for something that'll get me a bit drier than Strongbow, but not super dry (not gonna use champagne yeast).

I like the Sweet Mead yeast. Most yeasts will get ciders bone dry unless you stop fermentation or add unfermentables, that one leaves a bit of residual sweetness with straight juice.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Toebone posted:

I like the Sweet Mead yeast. Most yeasts will get ciders bone dry unless you stop fermentation or add unfermentables, that one leaves a bit of residual sweetness with straight juice.

Awesome, that's the one I was looking at. Hopefully I can find it locally, most of the places around here don't seem to have a super great selection of yeast :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Sooooooo I just spent almost 90 minutes trying to boil 3, then, 2 gallons of water and it sat at 206 degrees for the last 45 minutes of that. Hooray for having a lovely loving stove.

I've probably lost 25% of the water I put in to start, which I expected, but this is definitely not even close to a rolling boil. I've got bubbles, but not the big bubbling boil. Should I even bother to continue on to adding ingredients or am I needing a hotter burner?

a mysterious cloak fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Oct 14, 2012