Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Miike
Nov 7, 2003
Free Mandela
I've had some not so positive results with expired portra 160. They were very brown and muddy. But the ones I got were not fridge stored, so yours may very well be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

aliencowboy posted:

I got my hands on a bunch of free expired film.

Portra 400: 4 rolls expired 2001, 5 expired 2002
Portra 160: 5 rolls espired 2006

Allegedly it's all been fridge stored. What can I expect from this stuff? How do I go about shooting it and do I need to give the lab special instructions when getting it developed?

The rule of thumb is film "loses" one stop of ISO a decade if stored in a cool dry location. All bets are off if it has been frozen though, in that case there is no way to know without a test roll. It also depends on which Portra it is, I regularly shoot 160nc that expired in like 2007 at box speed with no issue beyond a slight magenta shift. I have some 400UC that expired in 2003 that I shoot at 250 because that's what works best after a test roll. I have some Portra 100T that expired in 2001 and is perfect at box speed.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
I shot some Vericolor III (pre-runner to Portra) from '97 and didn't compensate for the speed at all, and I found it was a little low on dynamic range and a bit more grainy than I expected, but I was pretty happy with it:

(Gives me an excuse to post some photos)

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

This fucken owns dude.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

^ yes, yes it does.

aliencowboy posted:

Allegedly it's all been fridge stored. What can I expect from this stuff? How do I go about shooting it and do I need to give the lab special instructions when getting it developed?

i shot nps160 & portras 160/400 from ~02-04. i think both ended up a bit grainer but ISO seemed to be right on. no color cast.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

aliencowboy posted:

If it's really been in the fridge for all 10 years, it'll be totally fine. When I got my RZ67 it came with some Vericolor II that'd been in a fridge for 20 years and it came out totally fine at box speed.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hmm. So what's your impression after a few days use? I'm thinking about buying a bulk loader this week and honestly $20-something isn't a lot to spend.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

8th-samurai posted:

The rule of thumb is film "loses" one stop of ISO a decade if stored in a cool dry location. All bets are off if it has been frozen though, in that case there is no way to know without a test roll.

I'm guessing this goes only for colour film? The agfapan 100 i have expired in 1989 (pretty sure it wasn't stored cool either), i shot and developed some. It maybe be more like iso 50-70 than 100 but it sure hasn't lost 2.5 stops like this formula would suggest.
I've seen other example of B&W that expired a long long time ago that didn't seem to have lost much speed. Of course this is all guesswork on my part, i haven't actually done any methodical testing.

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

Spedman posted:

I shot some Vericolor III (pre-runner to Portra) from '97 and didn't compensate for the speed at all, and I found it was a little low on dynamic range and a bit more grainy than I expected, but I was pretty happy with it:

(Gives me an excuse to post some photos)

hell yea

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

NihilismNow posted:

I'm guessing this goes only for colour film? The agfapan 100 i have expired in 1989 (pretty sure it wasn't stored cool either), i shot and developed some. It maybe be more like iso 50-70 than 100 but it sure hasn't lost 2.5 stops like this formula would suggest.
I've seen other example of B&W that expired a long long time ago that didn't seem to have lost much speed. Of course this is all guesswork on my part, i haven't actually done any methodical testing.

Well it's a general rule of thumb, some stocks do better and some do worse. Slow B&W that's kept cool loses very little speed over super long periods of time. People are still shooting Kodak Super-XX that expired in the 50's and getting usable images albeit with some fog.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

I've been absent from the action thanks to a grueling move - but I have to post for this image, because this image gentlemen, this image owns bones.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Martytoof posted:

Hmm. So what's your impression after a few days use? I'm thinking about buying a bulk loader this week and honestly $20-something isn't a lot to spend.
Sure, $20-something for the item is a good price. But then Freestyle fumbles with its zipper while telling you about shipping charges.

If you're going to buy from Freestyle and you're in Canada, you might as well pile on a big film order to spread out the outrageous shipping charges. It's less obnoxious to pay $40 for shipping on a $150 order than that same $40 on a $25 order, at least to me.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah, I was hoping to do a bigger order but realistically I just needed those few items. I ended up buying the $20 loader, a set of five plastic cans, and 100xAP400. I also bought three rolls of Kentmere 400 since I'd literally never heard of it but it looked kind of like HP5+ and I said "why not".

And then paid as much in shipping as I did for my bulk roll loader :q:

Next time I buy from freestyle I'm going to check the local film user groups to see if they want to do a group buy.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Martytoof posted:

I also bought three rolls of Kentmere 400 since I'd literally never heard of it but it looked kind of like HP5+ and I said "why not".

I guess that is because it is pretty much HP5+ (also made by ilford).
Maybe made to slightly different specs.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Thanks for the kind words on the shot, the old course at St Andrews has some pretty ridiculous bunkers

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

NihilismNow posted:

I guess that is because it is pretty much HP5+ (also made by ilford).
Maybe made to slightly different specs.

If it has the same pushability then I'll be happy :)

Though massive dev chart doesn't list any times past ISO800.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Martytoof posted:

Hhhmm, not sure what it is but I found a 19 page spergathon about it on Apug http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/58301-kentmere-film-maybe-mr-galley-will-know.html. The general consensus between there and a few other places is that it is not HP5. Now if you will excuse me I'm going to go order enough Arista premium to fill a bathtub and roll around in it (because HP5 is inferior to Tri-X you see).

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Wow some people on APUG are reaaaally anal about using a scanner to, well, scan photos.

quote:

APUG is for discussion of analogue photography and processes. Scanning is a digital process and has no place on APUG. If people want to discuss scanning there are millions of digital sites they can go to. There is only one APUG.

quote:

quote:

Just out of curiosity, why is scanning being discussed on APUG?

I was wondering the same thing Andy. Ten pages of scanning discussion....this crap make me want to vomit.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Pfft, a real pro just tapes their negatives to their monitor :smug:

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

Santa is strapped posted:

Wow some people on APUG are reaaaally anal about using a scanner to, well, scan photos.

Really tempted to make an "all photography is analog" troll thread over there. But it probably won't be as fun as it sounds.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

This is why I quit going to APUG - analog absolutism and no tolerance for hybrid processes or even any mention of digital anything. Why can't we use the best of both worlds?

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

MrBlandAverage posted:

This is why I quit going to APUG - analog absolutism and no tolerance for hybrid processes or even any mention of digital anything. Why can't we use the best of both worlds?

autism

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
How the hell do they even share their final products?

"Guys, I know there's no analogue way to show you this, but I just made the most amazing print. You'll have to take my word for it."

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Exactly. If I was registered I'd troll them by asking how come they're using a DIGITAL forum to talk about analog photography - it's blasphemy! Go talk in person about it and stop having fun!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Exactly. If I was registered I'd troll them by asking how come they're using a DIGITAL forum to talk about analog photography - it's blasphemy! Go talk in person about it and stop having fun!

Post everyday via telegram somehow.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

I have a purely analogue discussion forum and no one else ever posts on it. It's my Moleskine and I keep it over there on the desk in case any of you would like to respond to this post on it.

QPZIL posted:

Post everyday via telegram somehow.

Has wires = digital. :colbert:

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

8th-samurai posted:

Has wires = digital. :colbert:

If you're going to be that crazy just point out the fact that due to quantized energy nothing is truly analog.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Mr. Despair posted:

If you're going to be that crazy just point out the fact that due to quantized energy nothing is truly analog.

:science:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

QPZIL posted:

How the hell do they even share their final products?

"Guys, I know there's no analogue way to show you this, but I just made the most amazing print. You'll have to take my word for it."

"Hey I'd really love some input on how to improve this print of mine. I obviously can't post it here since it's ANALOGUE and too great for this medium, but if you want to help me improve it please mail me a cheque to cover printing another copy and mailing it to you, only $20."

internetdrink
Mar 24, 2011

"May contain traces of nuts"

Martytoof posted:

Rollei made a special developer and allegedly the pushability is excellent:
http://www.macodirect.de/rollei-250ml-p-2301.html?language=en
e/ Rollei RPX 400 = Kentmere 400

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
APUG people made DPUG for discussing scanning. It's almost empty.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

internetdrink posted:

Rollei made a special developer and allegedly the pushability is excellent:
http://www.macodirect.de/rollei-250ml-p-2301.html?language=en
e/ Rollei RPX 400 = Kentmere 400

Definitely going to import this at some point in the future :)

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Martytoof posted:

Definitely going to import this at some point in the future :)

If you want something cheap to push get some Fomapan 400 and a bottle of Rodinal, 18min at 1:25 and you've got a nice 3200 negative

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Spedman posted:

If you want something cheap to push get some Fomapan 400 and a bottle of Rodinal, 18min at 1:25 and you've got a nice 3200 negative

Kentmere's paper was poo poo the one time I tried it, and their reputation is about as sterling as Foma's. Is $2.79 per roll for Arista Premium 400 (Tri-X) or $2.99 for Ultrafine Extreme 400 (HP5+) really breaking your guys' budgets?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

atomicthumbs posted:

APUG people made DPUG for discussing scanning. It's almost empty.

The jihad against anything remotely digital on APUG is really annoying and counterproductive. You'd think a bunch of film shooters would embrace anything that would keep the film industry alive these days. Hybrid workflow still uses film and if the supply of film dwindles to a trickle it's going to get awfully expensive for all of them.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Paul MaudDib posted:

Is $2.79 per roll for Arista Premium 400 (Tri-X) or $2.99 for Ultrafine Extreme 400 (HP5+) really breaking your guys' budgets?
It's all about combining items for shipping. Freestyle overcharges (by about 2x) for shipping to Canada, and won't ship liquids (C-41 developing kits, for example) internationally.
Macodirect.de will ship liquids to Canada, and doesn't stock Arista; their cheap film is Rollei and Foma. Shipping is still brutally expensive, but at least with Ze Germans I don't feel like some schlub who doesn't have a passport is confusing "Canada" with "Another planet".

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

Kentmere's paper was poo poo the one time I tried it, and their reputation is about as sterling as Foma's. Is $2.79 per roll for Arista Premium 400 (Tri-X) or $2.99 for Ultrafine Extreme 400 (HP5+) really breaking your guys' budgets?

None of these films are 2.69 for me locally. I bought 100ft of AP400 so I wouldn't have to order small rolls, and I picked up the Kentmere because I was curious.

For me bulk loading has less to do with money and more to do with the convenience of being able to make up 10 shot rolls as opposed to having to go through 36 shots before I can change film. I have no doubt that I'll waste a lot of film, but seeing as how I don't shoot a lot anyway, this 100ft should last me a few months and will let me shoot and develop more to my taste.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Paul MaudDib posted:

You're more than welcome to pay for the excessive shipping costs to Australia for me, or pay the $9 for a roll of Tri-X locally. And I've been asked to pay near $20 for a 120 roll of Ilford film, nothing is cheap down here.

The large format Fomapan 400 has been fantastic for me, and at 80c a sheet (including shipping) I can shoot as much as I want with out worrying. You should try pushing the 35mm version too, I've been really impressed by it.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Look you other countries have healthcare and we have cheap film. :dealwithit:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

One of these two things should be a universal right.

And also people should have healthcare too, I guess.