Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror
php is like jet fighters. fast, powerful, can do p much anything, sometimes crashes b/c of pilot error

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

MononcQc posted:

you know how to use a knife, so you bring a knife to a modern war fought with guns, tanks, and missiles while shouting "at least I can use the same tools when I eat and when I fight! I save so much time!" before somehow managing to shoot yourself in the foot anyway.

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008

Tiny Bug Child posted:

php is like jet fighters. fast, powerful, can do p much anything, sometimes crashes b/c of pilot error

this but C++

php is more like a fighter jet that goes into a tailspin when it has to do anything challenging. of course the engineers who designed and built the fighter jet won't fix this because there are times when i guess you might want to go into a tailspin and the pilot should stop complaining and just learn how to counter roll the jet all the other times.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i'm confused, can we maybe turn this into a car analogy? thx

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
really it's a bunch of people drowning in their own poo poo, arguing at opposing ends of the bristol stool scale.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
for reference

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I think type 1 is the best because it's less messy, easy to stack and work with

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
yes but is it web scale?

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I disagree type 7 is the best because you can hold it in a glass and it's much simpler to give it any shape you need by freezing it. Way more flexible.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
brb, just doing a type-4

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

guys if only you were using a lisp you'd see that there's no reason to stick with one type of poop. using my s-expressions (poo poo-expressions), I can generate all the types of poop I need to get some kind of uber poop.

of course if you were not all caught up in your uni-dimensional poop you'd understand. not that you can grasp the highest quality poop I churn out with my poop generators

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I'm using Erlang theb est tool to let you connect different toilets together and let different kinds of poop communicate together. there's no reason to only work with one piece of poo poo at a time, it is obviously the best

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Any sufficiently complicated hard or soft poop contains an ad hoc, informally-shat, corn-ridden, slow implementation of half of lisp shits.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Tiny Bug Child posted:

php is like jet fighters. full of hidden costs, designed around the state of the world 20 years ago, crashes and burns whenever it has to deal with a date

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

Tiny Bug Child posted:

its like a jet fighter that doesn't give any warnings if its full of diesel fuel or if the tail is blown off

e: jonnys is better

Socracheese fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Oct 12, 2012

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

I'm using php + postgres and it actually works and its p fast and I haven't run into any terrible php quagmires yet, what is the world coming to ???

we're still gonna tear it all out and replace it with python once they fix this php enough to demo their poo poo and get investor monies

btw amazon's cloud server thing can return some insane join queries really drat fast

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Socracheese posted:

I'm using php + postgres and it actually works and its p fast and I haven't run into any terrible php quagmires yet, what is the world coming to ???

php is ok for templates. assuming you're a racist who hates foreigners

quote:

we're still gonna tear it all out and replace it with python once they fix this php enough to demo their poo poo and get investor monies

lol

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Socracheese posted:

so, your organization is going to spend effort to remove a working system and replace it with something that does the same thing, just in a different language

your bosses are either lying to the spergs to placate them, or they are incompetent

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

tef posted:

php is ok for templates. assuming you're a racist who hates foreigners
lol

tef, here's a philosophical question. i have very limited hardware resources so i can't remotely implement anything unicode-ish, or even anything with the high bit set to extend ascii (probably). should i

a) mourn this dreadful happening

b) bask in having a justification for latent crypto-racism

c) put the entire interface for the product in latin and instruct marketing that this is a universal language that any user can learn equally well

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Otto Skorzeny posted:

tef, here's a philosophical question. i have very limited hardware resources so i can't remotely implement anything unicode-ish, or even anything with the high bit set to extend ascii (probably). should i

c) put the entire interface for the product in latin and instruct marketing that this is a universal language that any user can learn equally well
C is a lie because frenchies and españaphones basically know Latin while anglophones and communist russians also nazis don't

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Socracheese posted:

btw amazon's cloud server thing can return some insane join queries really drat fast

dont bother going from one p-lang to another. they're all crap.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Otto Skorzeny posted:

b) is fine.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

we once did a split test on a tour with really nice translated text with proper characters and accent marks and everything, and a tour i just ran the text through google translate and left the little wtf-is-this square characters in. difference in signup rate was statistically insignificant

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
ps use ebcdic, that'll show em

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

Tiny Bug Child posted:

so, your organization is going to spend effort to remove a working system and replace it with something that does the same thing, just in a different language

your bosses are either lying to the spergs to placate them, or they are incompetent

well they actually hired me to do that originally but I am helping patch up this php thing because deadlines etc. the php thing doesn't have any bell and whistle features because nobody wants to polish that turd and I like python's templating better and I get paid by the hour so :shrug:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
pythons just gonna make you do even more hacks and workarounds. just use java and be done with it.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr16/ :psyboom:

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

Tiny Bug Child posted:

or they are unspeakably evil and planning to make the python people write the cost/benefit analysis that will crush their hopes and dreams

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008

Shaggar posted:

dont bother going from one p-lang to another. they're all crap.

don't listen to shaggar, perl is great

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
nope. perl is crap

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

shaggar was right, i'll suggest ruby, or just do the whole thing in javascript

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
ruby is an honorary p language

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

ruby is better than python

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
anyone who doesn't say perl owns is either a jackass or in denial

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Otto Skorzeny posted:

anyone who says perl owns is either a jackass or in denial

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
perl's the shortest distance between "i know a computer can do this" and it being done

"shortest" doesn't imply "best"

Egan Yardley
Jun 11, 2010

python is pretty cool but i have to be in a linux environment to do anything useful with it...

c# tho

literally the best language of the new century.

hejlsberg is the new stroustrup.

haters take a number and get in line

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
c# is good.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
how long does it take to get a REPL set up in C#

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar