Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
I'm kind of staggered at how good of an idea overclocking is these days - I've never done it before so I was always kind of worried. I was able to push my i5-3570k to 4.3 GHz without exceeding 74 C under prime95 for 8 hours and I think IBT got it up to 75. That's like an 800 MHz increase with little risk, and I'm just running air cooling (my cpu fan is aftermarket, but it was only like 25 bucks). Just chiming in in case someone else is reading these posts and feels intimidated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

I just installed a Hyper 212 Evo and it looks to be a great cooler, especially for only $25.

I've overclocked my 3570K to 4.5 GHz @ 1.2V and everything seemed great, temperature was maxing out at 68C while playing Guild Wars 2 but mostly stayed in the high 50s/low 60s.

I was prepared to stick with this setup for the long term until I ran IntelBurnTest on Standard stress level and my CPU temps immediately shot up to 96C. At stock 3.4 GHz and voltage I never saw anything above 55C during the burn test.

Should I be concerned about the high stress test temperature if my real-world usage is acceptable at under 70C?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
What does Prime95 give you? Or alternatively, what do you get if you do a two-pass encode of a video in Handbrake (or such)?

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Factory Factory posted:

What does Prime95 give you? Or alternatively, what do you get if you do a two-pass encode of a video in Handbrake (or such)?

Similar temps around 95C from Prime95.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
That's not only high, that sounds high enough that the CPU is throttling if IBT and Prime95 are the same temp. You may have to just back off the volts and take whatever overclock you can get.

What cooler are you using?

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Factory Factory posted:

That's not only high, that sounds high enough that the CPU is throttling if IBT and Prime95 are the same temp. You may have to just back off the volts and take whatever overclock you can get.

What cooler are you using?

I'm using a Hyper 212 Evo.

I decided to just back off a bit and aim for a 25% overclock instead of 33%, which means 4.25 GHz instead of 4.5 on the 3570K.

I don't think I'll really notice much marginal performance difference between the two (I can pretty much get a solid 60 FPS in any game at either speed) and at 4.25 GHz I haven't seen any temperatures above 60C from either IBT or long gaming sessions.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Parker Lewis posted:

I'm using a Hyper 212 Evo.

I decided to just back off a bit and aim for a 25% overclock instead of 33%, which means 4.25 GHz instead of 4.5 on the 3570K.

I don't think I'll really notice much marginal performance difference between the two (I can pretty much get a solid 60 FPS in any game at either speed) and at 4.25 GHz I haven't seen any temperatures above 60C from either IBT or long gaming sessions.

How exactly are you getting 4.25 GHz? Messing with BCLK is a bad idea with IVB because changing it from 100MHz can very quickly make your whole system unstable.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

unpronounceable posted:

How exactly are you getting 4.25 GHz? Messing with BCLK is a bad idea with IVB because changing it from 100MHz can very quickly make your whole system unstable.

103 BCLK x 41, is that a bad idea? I guess it's more like 4.223 than 4.25.

Haven't noticed any stability issues although I've only been working with it for 2 days.

Parker Lewis fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Sep 27, 2012

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'd go to 42x100 before I'd go to 41x103. There were lots of stories of PCI-E cards mysteriously dying with increased BCLK even when everything was stable.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

OK, thanks for the warning, I'll go back to 100 x 42 to avoid any potential headaches down the road.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
Hey guys.

I was just wondering what a good starting point would be in overclocking my Asus HD7970-DC2. I am using AMD GPU Tweak and I am using completely stock cooling. It is getting into summer here so perhaps that should be taken into account.

Default speeds are the core running at 925Mhz and the memory is at 1375Mhz. Cheers

fuckpot fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Oct 5, 2012

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
As a starter, you could match the GHz Edition's clocks. I seem to recall that low 1100s is about where things get tough, on the core.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I finally got around to messing around with the power targets in my 670s bios. My peak boosted overclock is unchanged, but now under load the core clock stays within 50Mhz of the peak clock. Before it'd swing as far as 200Mhz below the peak, depending on whatever was happening in the game. (OCCT would even let it go from 1300mhz to 950mhz before, now it only drops to 1200mhz) Temperatures are up by about 7 degrees, but nothing to have me worried.

I gave it a limit of 225 watts and nothing seems to mind. This is on the custom mini PCB Gigabyte dual fan 670, not the one based on the 680 PCB. Model number GV-N670WF2-2GD if you want to look it up.

A tool is being worked on to edit your bios for you, but for now it's way too involved to really recommend to anyone.

craig588 fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Oct 7, 2012

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
I'm intrigued, and would love to mess with that. My Gigabyte 670 never rises above 89% TDP according to GPU-Z, and temps are not even remotely close to being an issue (Windforce 3X is amazing). I feel like that means I have a lot of headroom and should be able to push 1300MHz at max boost (1260MHz has been my stable limit thus far).

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

craig588 posted:

I finally got around to messing around with the power targets in my 670s bios. My peak boosted overclock is unchanged, but now under load the core clock stays within 50Mhz of the peak clock. Before it'd swing as far as 200Mhz below the peak, depending on whatever was happening in the game. (OCCT would even let it go from 1300mhz to 950mhz before, now it only drops to 1200mhz) Temperatures are up by about 7 degrees, but nothing to have me worried.

I gave it a limit of 225 watts and nothing seems to mind. This is on the custom mini PCB Gigabyte dual fan 670, not the one based on the 680 PCB. Model number GV-N670WF2-2GD if you want to look it up.

A tool is being worked on to edit your bios for you, but for now it's way too involved to really recommend to anyone.

That's quite a lot of core voltage, any stability issues in different test cases?

My jealousy is showing! I was at 1296 but Metro in DX10 didn't like it and Starcraft II in DX9 didn't like it. But if I had more voltage... :getin:

Realistically, I don't know if I'd void a warranty on my EVGA card with the whole warranty and advance RMA crap for 20mhz, just tempting... The clocks, the CLOCKS! :derp:

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
Tell me about it. The variance between games is totally baffling and you never know what to expect. I can run Battlefield 3, the most demanding DX11 title I have at 1070 core all day, but Borderlands 2 will randomly poo poo the bed at any core above 1050. AND WHAT'S THE DEAL WITH AIRPLANE PEANUTS?

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
EVGA claims up to 1.3v is safe, but adding voltage doesn't seem to help a huge amount . I messed with the voltage weeks earlier and increasing from 1.175 to 1.212 (the limit of this PCB) only added 20mhz to my peak stable boosted clock. Power target mods are more for keeping boosted clocks up on cards with really low factory power targets, like mine. If you're not pegging out your power target it's not going to help you. I set it to 225 because it's a dual 6 pin card, if I was braver and went to 300 watts it could probably stay boosted at 1300mhz no matter what was happening in game.

I wouldn't have cared for 20mhz, but I was really bothered by how it could lose 200mhz because of the factory limit. I wish I saved a before log, but just imagine it zigzagging all over the place.

What's holding up the tool authors at the moment is every card keeps values at unique offsets and because there isn't much standardization in factory settings they can't just search for values. Also, there's checksumming that has to happen when specific portions of the bios get changed, including everything related to power, fan speed, voltage and stock clock speeds.

I'm on my ipad so I think this is the mobile version of the site, but here's the information I used.
http://www.hwlegend.com/bbforum/viewtopic.php?f=144&t=3482 if you have a reference PCB they have premodded bioses for you. Seriously don't use them unless you know what you're doing, you could lose performance or even ruin your card without any option for replacement.

craig588 fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Oct 8, 2012

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I was messing around with a CPU overclock the other night, and ended up making my system unbootable (into Windows, it was able to POST just fine). I repaired the boot files with a Windows 7 CD, but did I permanently mess anything up?

Also, why does it seem like my motherboard is giving too much voltage? Offset +0.005 gives it 1.275 at load on a 4.3GHz OC on a i5-3570K and ASRock Extreme4 Z77

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I was messing around with a CPU overclock the other night, and ended up making my system unbootable (into Windows, it was able to POST just fine). I repaired the boot files with a Windows 7 CD, but did I permanently mess anything up?

Also, why does it seem like my motherboard is giving too much voltage? Offset +0.005 gives it 1.275 at load on a 4.3GHz OC on a i5-3570K and ASRock Extreme4 Z77

Have you tried confirming the voltage with another monitoring suite? I recently helped a friend build an Asrock based system, and I was baffled by the high voltages I was seeing in HWiNFO64 until I tried other monitoring software.

Screenshot taken with offset set to +.005, the VCore reading in HWiNFO64 was also around the 1.296V being displayed for the individual core VIDs:

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
It's possible but unlikely to corrupt an install, if just enough data was screwed up yet it still made it through to the disk to write. It's impossible to say whether it's permanent or not. If booting to the recovery CD and running sfc /scannow doesn't fix it, I'd just reinstall because it's probably easier than troubleshooting.

The motherboard retains some control over processor power, and some boards will just give a lotta power. Like my Zotac board giving a stock-clock Core i3 540 1.38V. Nothing wrong with or stopping you from picking a negative offset.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
No, using the repair fixed it, I was just wondering if anything like my files or program were corrputed.

Also, every voltage monitoring I used read 1.264v @ 4.4GHZ and -0.005 offset this time.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Pretty unlikely, especially considering that user files and user-installed services aren't touched until the mouse cursor and login screen show.

Feel free to crank it up (down) they way you would minimize the voltage on a stable overclock. Aforementioned i3 is at -0.100 offset, and I could probably go further if I ever bothered to.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Apologies if this has been asked before, I looked through the OP and a few pages but couldn't see it. I'm getting a 3570k with a P8Z77-V LX, what would be the highest but safest OC I could do with the stock heatsink you get with the cpu?

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

NaDy posted:

Apologies if this has been asked before, I looked through the OP and a few pages but couldn't see it. I'm getting a 3570k with a P8Z77-V LX, what would be the highest but safest OC I could do with the stock heatsink you get with the cpu?

Don't. Spend 20$ on an aftermarket heatsink and then you'll be set for 42x100 all day. Every chip is different and if you want to experiment yourself you might find yours can do 4.5GHz with incredibly low voltage using just the stock heatsink. (Incredibly unlikely, but it's not strictly impossible) Really you're just wasting time with the stock heatsink, I've seen people hit 80+ degrees at only 3.8GHz. Moving to even one of the 20$ options makes 4.2GHz pretty much guaranteed and 4.5ghz+ pretty reasonable.

Here's a thread where a guy pirates Windows XP in 2012, but also records his temperatures in prime95 at 3.6GHz using the stock cooler. He hit 87 degrees. http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=710812

craig588 fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Oct 12, 2012

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Ok cool, I'll be ordering an SSD next week so I'll have a look at aftermarket heatsinks and throw one in with that order. Thanks for that, definitely don't want to ruin the first new processor I've ever bought.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Xbitlabs has posted a round-up of 135-150mm fans (practically, a bunch of 140mm plus the Thermalright TY-150). Predictably, the winners were the Thermalright TY-150 and the Corsair AF140 Quiet Edition. The TY-150 runs about $20 shipped and the AF140 is about $19. It looks like the AF140 is more expensive in most stores, so the TF-150 will probably be the better deal in most situations where it will fit.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Exactly how important are WHEA errors? I did a quick Prime95 test, and it showed a bunch of WHEA errors, and was going to run a longer test overnight.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Exactly how important are WHEA errors? I did a quick Prime95 test, and it showed a bunch of WHEA errors, and was going to run a longer test overnight.

You're not stable. You want no errors at all.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Alereon posted:

Xbitlabs has posted a round-up of 135-150mm fans (practically, a bunch of 140mm plus the Thermalright TY-150). Predictably, the winners were the Thermalright TY-150 and the Corsair AF140 Quiet Edition. The TY-150 runs about $20 shipped and the AF140 is about $19. It looks like the AF140 is more expensive in most stores, so the TF-150 will probably be the better deal in most situations where it will fit.

I have two TY-150s on my Archon and the TY-140 that came with my Archon as a rear exhaust and I cannot recommend them enough, although apparently they do not like being mounted horizontally so they aren't good as top/bottom fans.

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

Sorry. I couldn't find anyone to make you a cool cipher-themed avatar, and the look on this guy's face cracks me the fuck up.

NaDy posted:

3570k ... highest but safest OC I could do with the stock heatsink
As the guy above said, don't. The video showing 85c at stock speeds is not at all unrealistic and I've seen non-overclocked 3570k and 3770k's easily hit that in prime95, both had stock cooler and were in well ventilated cases. I also wouldn't recommend IBT at all with the stock cooler (I tried it before prime95 on the first IVB system I built and stopped when I saw it shoot up to 95c.

I went as far as to recommend an aftermarket HSF to someone with no intentions of overclocking, because he intended to do a lot of video encoding with it (and I've seen x264 encoding equal prime95 temps on every platform I've tested both on).

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I'm using OCCT to stress test my cpu, and I don't understand why sometimes my Tempatures (which seem to max out at 70c on my 3570k @ 3.6ghz) just fuckin TANK for around 5-10? seconds every so often. What's going on? I can't a difference audibly, and speedfan doesn't report any trickery.

The clock isn't lowering, I'm looking at MSI control center and OCCT so it's not that, but like when I mean tank I mean like, it maxes out at 50-58c.

I have a hyper212+ with some AS5. I've applied it several times in the past so I'm pretty sure I applied it right.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Are you running Blend or Small FFT? Blend is also memory intensive and may hit the CPU different at different times depending on what part of the Blend is running.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

So I was watching a video on Newegg TV about 3770k and the ASUS P8Z77-V mobo's automatic overclocking feature. In it it overclocked the cpu automatically, but did so by boosting the bclk by like 4mhz. Does this mean it would be unsafe to use this feature? I was hoping to use it for a lazy overclock. Don't have my parts yet was going to order today so just trying to do research ahead of time.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Manufacturers generally try to make auto-overclocking settings "sane" in the sense that they aren't outright dangerous, but they still stretch best practices. Presumably, Asus' engineers know that nothing on their boards will be screwed up by a 4 MHz BCLK boost. But on the other hand, almost every review (professional or anecdotal) of a board's auto-overclocking features comes up with one of three results:

1) Okay, that worked, but it's kinda underwhelming. I can easily do much better.
2) That's using way too much voltage and the heat is absurd.
3) Oh no, the auto-overclocking feature has malfunctioned quietly and my chip is being fed enough voltage to kill it within six months. It is boiling water within a two foot radius. Help.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Factory Factory posted:

Are you running Blend or Small FFT? Blend is also memory intensive and may hit the CPU different at different times depending on what part of the Blend is running.

I wasn't running prime95 at all. Even the "high temp" one on prime95 didn't raise the temps as much as occt.

If I wanted to get this baby to 88mph 4.5ghz but wanted to have the CPU step down to 1.6 like it normally does when it doesn't need the extra speed, what do I do?

I hear something about offset but idk where that is in my BIOS. Do I have to turn Turbo off? Never had an Intel before. I have that Z77A-GD55 you suggested me a few days ago. It seems that it feeds this chip about 1.13v on load and around .9v when idle.

What's a temp I should shoot for under load?

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Oct 17, 2012

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I wasn't running prime95 at all. Even the "high temp" one on prime95 didn't raise the temps as much as occt.

If I wanted to get this baby to 88mph 4.5ghz but wanted to have the CPU step down to 1.6 like it normally does when it doesn't need the extra speed, what do I do?

I hear something about offset but idk where that is in my BIOS. Do I have to turn Turbo off? Never had an Intel before. I have that Z77A-GD55 you suggested me a few days ago. It seems that it feeds this chip about 1.13v on load and around .9v when idle.

What's a temp I should shoot for under load?

Oh geez, sorry, I completely misread what tool you were using multiple times.

OCCT uses Linpack, which will indeed stress the CPU further than anything else. The only real-world workloads that approach Linpack loads are Metro 2033 and h.264 video encoding. Prime95 is a good "real-world" temperature and stability simulator.

From your idle voltage, it sounds like your chip is throttling properly. You can check its idle clocks with HWiNFO64 or CPU-Z to verify. If EIST (SpeedStep) is enabled in the BIOS, it should be working correctly.

As for Offset voltage, that's been abstracted away on MSI boards, thank God, so you don't have to worry about it. "Offset" is what the board always behaves like, and yet it lets you pick a top-end target voltage directly.

70 C in Linpack is absolutely fine. That's about your upper limit goal for Prime95, actually, so you have a bit more headroom if you really want. But I think 4.5 GHz at 1.13V is pretty solid already. You'll probably need far more voltage for the next few multiplier steps than it took for the last few.

As for why OCCT is varying... I dunno. Linpack isn't particularly consistent, for a benchmark. But since it also isn't all that realistic as a workload, I wouldn't worry about it unless and until a problem pops up in real-world tasks.

Factory Factory fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Oct 17, 2012

Bearpowers
Nov 6, 2011
I'm currently using a Hyper 212 EVO with my 3570k.

Not sure if my temps are ideal, but I wanna try for 4.2ghz.

I ran Prime95 for 3 hours and 1 core maxed out at 64c while the others tended to be around 56c.

I'm also using my HD4000 integrated graphics at the moment if that matters, I'm getting a GTX 670 later.

Do you think my temps are normal and good enough for a 4.2ghz 24/7 OC?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I'm actually not at 4.5 yet on that voltage. The mobo has voltage set to auto. I just put it to 3.8 (I have Turbo on and I actually also set it to 4.0 but when I restarted it was only at 3.8 ...) and that's the load voltage it had. I figured I'd do a little stress test with occt overnight and then move up from there as I'm in no rush to get to 4.5 on a brand new CPU.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Bearpowers posted:

I'm currently using a Hyper 212 EVO with my 3570k.

Not sure if my temps are ideal, but I wanna try for 4.2ghz.

I ran Prime95 for 3 hours and 1 core maxed out at 64c while the others tended to be around 56c.

I'm also using my HD4000 integrated graphics at the moment if that matters, I'm getting a GTX 670 later.

Do you think my temps are normal and good enough for a 4.2ghz 24/7 OC?

I'm running a 3570k at 4.35 GHz, 1.2V with a Hyper 212 EVO and during actual gaming I don't see my cores go above 60C. You should be totally fine at stock voltage with that setup and configuration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bearpowers
Nov 6, 2011

Parker Lewis posted:

I'm running a 3570k at 4.35 GHz, 1.2V with a Hyper 212 EVO and during actual gaming I don't see my cores go above 60C. You should be totally fine at stock voltage with that setup and configuration.

Well, I plan to run PCSX2/Dolphin so I wanna overclock to make sure I get good speeds, not overclocking til I get my GPU though.

Just wanting to know if my stock clock+temps show that I can do a good stable OC.