Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Sockington posted:

He's more worried about how it'll do into a wall/barrier/car/so forth.

Not every club uses motorsportsreg but they offer supplemental track day insurance on a single or multiple day basis. You only pay for your vehicle's declared value... I think it was about $200/day for a vehicle declared at 20k value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Not all organizations are the same and some are genuinely looking out for your safety. I know with our group we do not tolerate "hooning" or any sort of shenanigans in the paddock, pit, or on track. You will be asked to leave. Track incidents ruin everyone's day. Our corner workers/flaggers constantly look out for the drivers and their cars. They will black flag drivers if it seems they're getting in over their heads before something "bad" happens. We'll even put instructors into your car if it seems needed or if you request.

Known passing zones, passing only with point-byes, and differing run groups. There really is no excuse for car-to-car contact in a TT/DE setting.

This is obviously different with the race groups; but, we still do not allow any contact during our races. We don't want to be another Spec Miata race so during our driver meetings, no contact is heavily emphasized. As the main guy likes to emphasize, we're not saving babies, curing cancer, or winning gold trophies here. You're here to have fun with friends racing around a track.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

Splizwarf posted:

Was the bad setting in the software or the hardware? I don't know much about the work but I'm surprised the hardware's capable of reaching itself.

The machines aren't all that smart.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Carbonate posted:

Yeah, I was Chief Marshal yesterday. I was there every race weekend this year both cars and bikes. Don't get out to the lapping/solo stuff much though.

Were you around for the Legends race? That was pretty awesome, eh?

I didn't go to any races this year. I pretty much only do solo stuff and barely made it out for that this year, just did one track school and the last slalom on sunday.

Carbonate
Aug 3, 2005
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

Crustashio posted:

I didn't go to any races this year. I pretty much only do solo stuff and barely made it out for that this year, just did one track school and the last slalom on sunday.

Ah right on. You should come check out some of the races if you get a chance next year - not stellar car numbers but it's entertaining as all hell!

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

c355n4 posted:

Not all organizations are the same and some are genuinely looking out for your safety. I know with our group we do not tolerate "hooning" or any sort of shenanigans in the paddock, pit, or on track. You will be asked to leave. Track incidents ruin everyone's day. Our corner workers/flaggers constantly look out for the drivers and their cars. They will black flag drivers if it seems they're getting in over their heads before something "bad" happens. We'll even put instructors into your car if it seems needed or if you request.

Known passing zones, passing only with point-byes, and differing run groups. There really is no excuse for car-to-car contact in a TT/DE setting.

This is obviously different with the race groups; but, we still do not allow any contact during our races. We don't want to be another Spec Miata race so during our driver meetings, no contact is heavily emphasized. As the main guy likes to emphasize, we're not saving babies, curing cancer, or winning gold trophies here. You're here to have fun with friends racing around a track.

This.

Not going to track days because you think you'll get wrecked by other drivers is either a reflection on the poor discipline/organisation of the people running the event, or a cop-out on your part.

Ive done dozens of track days and have only had one instance in hundreds of laps were someone else actually gave me a scare, let alone was actually close to causing contact in any way.

Im more concerned about my car getting damaged from my own lack of talent than from anyone else's :3:

ROFLBOT fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Oct 10, 2012

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

IOwnCalculus posted:

Doesn't change BlackMK4's sentiment, which is one of the big reasons I've never done a proper track day. You can't guarantee that every other person on the track is driving sanely, and no matter how it goes down, either the BRZ or the MP4 driver (or maybe both!) was doing something incredibly stupid and trying to channel Ayrton Senna when everyone else was just having fun going fast. Insurance sure as hell isn't paying out on this.

The other, which is largely related to that, is I haven't owned anything that thus fits the category of 'trackable' for me. The Miata needed a rollbar, which to clear my head with a helmet, would have also needed me to ditch the ragtop. The MS3 is better in that regard, but is also the only vehicle I own that I can safely put my daughter into, so balling it up would be a Bad Idea; also, I'm sure the MS3's already-annoyingly-pricey consumables become more painfully expensive with track use.

I don't think trying to do a track day in the Ranger or the GMC is going to teach me anything I don't already know about those vehicles - that the Ranger is slower than slow, and that the GMC's LS1 will hurriedly get me into a situation where its 'brakes' and 'steering' cannot save me.

Track day insurance was built for you. About $100 per day unless you have something expensive. ($111 for $16,000)
Also, any track day that doesn't involve passing on curves. One of my annoyances is how many track day companies allow passing on curves beyond fairly advanced groups. I'm fairly happy with wave by on straights only, but it would be nice to have a bit more advanced drivers (not that I'm particularly good, I just want people who do wave-bys and don't tailgate).
Also letting novices out without any instructor. Craziness.

nm fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Oct 10, 2012

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

nm posted:

Also letting novices out without any instructor. Craziness.
So... what about sportbikes. We somehow live. :v:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

BlackMK4 posted:

So... what about sportbikes. We somehow live. :v:

Owning a sportbike is like accelerated natural selection. If you make it past a week without being killed by an SUV or lowsiding at 200kph you're already in the top 1% of riders anywhere. :v:

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Owning a sportbike is like accelerated natural selection. If you make it past a week without being killed by an SUV or lowsiding at 200kph you're already in the top 1% of riders anywhere. :v:

I highsided at 60 and after surgical intervention, i'm still alive. I think that puts me in the top 10th of 1%

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

This was posted on FB by an acquaintance.. "Driven gear broke in driveshaft. FWD STi for the time being."

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Seen that before

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Is that breaking at the output shaft of the transfer case?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Well, there's no real transfer "case," but yes. The driven shaft slides into the front of the center differential, the front output is inside the driven shaft, and the rear output comes out the back of the center diff to the prop shaft via a set of transfer gears. The broken part is what connects to the prop shaft.

Not actually uncommon:

Albins makes an upgraded set of transfer gears.

jamal fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Oct 10, 2012

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Your first pic with the socket behind the twisted off shaft confused me for a second, had me wondering why it didn't break at the necked down super narrow part :downs:

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Does this go here or the hellaflush thread?

Argenteus
Mar 31, 2011
Finally got around to taking some pictures of the failing u-joint I pulled out of the truck a while ago. Only two turned out well enough to see anything though. :saddowns:

Nothing too catastrophic, but still pretty gnarly. :unsmigghh:

Yes, those are indentations in the u-joint left by the needle bearings.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I smell MoPar.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Looks like a Spicer 5-785X 1310 series U-joint to me but I could be wrong.

This got me 60 miles home from Haverhill to Worcester late one night:

I particularly like the thermal stress cracking in the caps, the fine black magnetic powder that was the needle bearings (which means the joint temperature passed the Curie point - 500 to 600 degrees Celcius for steel! :aaa:) and the bluing visible around the edges of the trunnions and caps.

kastein fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Oct 11, 2012

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

jamal posted:

Well, there's no real transfer "case," but yes. The driven shaft slides into the front of the center differential, the front output is inside the driven shaft, and the rear output comes out the back of the center diff to the prop shaft via a set of transfer gears. The broken part is what connects to the prop shaft.

Not actually uncommon:

Albins makes an upgraded set of transfer gears.

Those splines are tripping me out.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Not sure whether this belongs in horrible failures or awesome AI poo poo.

A friend of mine broke all of these dana 44 parts (and a few 60 parts) in his jeep over the course of 2 years. Was going to scrap them, and then decided to do a little welding instead.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

kastein posted:

A friend of mine broke all of these dana 44 parts (and a few 60 parts) in his jeep over the course of 2 years. Was going to scrap them, and then decided to do a little welding instead.

I'm voting for wrong thread here...

SwashedBuckles
Aug 10, 2007

Have at you!

kastein posted:

Nope, definitely awesome. If the AI art thread hasn't fallen into archives I'd put it there too.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Get those clunks checked out folks

That is apparently all the way off. Only one unseen tab keeping that attached.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

jamal posted:

Does this go here or the hellaflush thread?

What is that intruding into the boot? I can't tell through all the grease.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

It almost looks like a broken damper?

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Looks like the adjustment screw on the bottom of a coil-over shock.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Terrible Robot posted:

That makes sense, but why is it there :catstare:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

nm posted:

That makes sense, but why is it there :catstare:

You have no appreciation for stance.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

meatpimp posted:

You have no appreciation for stance.

Guilty as charged.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Terrible Robot posted:

That's what I assumed it must be but that thread looks way too long. That poor car.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Looks like the threads for adjustment of ride height are around the outside of the shock/strut a few inches further up, I'd say it's probably either a rate adjustment screw/nut or is for charging the shock with nitrogen.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

nm posted:

Get those clunks checked out folks

That is apparently all the way off. Only one unseen tab keeping that attached.

Oh god, my car is clunking in the rear :gonk:

the_worm_
Mar 11, 2001
The diff in this STI six speed wanted to be set free. (young driver, didn't understand clutch drops with wide sticky tires)

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
Goddamn that's an expensive mistake.

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer
What's that shaft coming up from the blue worm gear through the bellhousing?

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

bidikyoopi posted:

What's that shaft coming up from the blue worm gear through the bellhousing?

Speed sensor

shoopeach
Aug 13, 2012

the_worm_ posted:

The diff in this STI six speed wanted to be set free. (young driver, didn't understand clutch drops with wide sticky tires)

At first I thought you had just taken the "diff cover" off, until I realized there was no diff cover....

Jeece
Feb 11, 2005
Not horrible but it happened to me, and it sucked:

That's my Jetta's oil pan. I was climbing a mountain "road" (well, a trail) and I scraped the underside of the car on a hidden rock, was about the size of a softball (saw it later, it was unearthed!). To improve my chances to actually get a towtruck up here and to avoid blocking the (one lane) "road", I decided to climb down to a more convenient area. With the car off, I coased downhill. Backward at first, until I got to a wide enough curve on a flat enough area where I stopped and pushed the car so it could go nose first. Did a pretty good distance, even went over a few crests... but going down with no engine brakes, no power steering and no brake assist sure was scary/stupid.

Finally stopped on a wider section close to a few houses. Kinda had to, it was a longer flat stretch with a higher crest at the end, I wasn't sure I could clear it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Jeece posted:

That's my Jetta's oil pan.
Little duct tape'll fix that!

Actually, I wonder how long a duct tape repair would last?