Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Dumb GABF noob question again: do people bring in those pretzel necklaces or do you have to buy them in the building? My friend insists you can bring your own but the official website pretty explicitly says "NO OUTSIDE FOOD" so I am leaning toward her being full of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

funkybottoms posted:

so, you don't really like sour beers, but you paid to drink a bunch of them...?

Seriously.

I've had a ton of those beers, and you honestly might as well not have.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Docjowles posted:

Dumb GABF noob question again: do people bring in those pretzel necklaces or do you have to buy them in the building? My friend insists you can bring your own but the official website pretty explicitly says "NO OUTSIDE FOOD" so I am leaning toward her being full of it.

They sell em there but i'm preeeeeeetty sure folks bring em too.

NEWS FLASH
I am drinking with the Aldstrom bros at the Wit's End right now and even they admit that they hate their forums.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair
Well you should ask if they hate their awful website design and user reviews as well

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

SUPER HASSLER posted:

NEWS FLASH
I am drinking with the Aldstrom bros at the Wit's End right now and even they admit that they hate their forums.

Try to convince them you're the terrible gimmick rap poster.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Docjowles posted:

Try to convince them you're the terrible gimmick rap poster.

hahaha. spit some flows at 'em, dogg!

seriously, though, ask them if they hate having fun.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
You always know a Beer Advocate review is gonna be good when it starts with "poured into a limited edition [rare brand] tulip that I purchased directly from the brewery on the day it was opened"

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair
WHY do people feel the need to explain what brand glass they're using? Or what bar/store they got the beer at? Or what user the bottle is courtesy of?

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

RiggenBlaque posted:

WHY do people feel the need to explain what brand glass they're using? Or what bar/store they got the beer at? Or what user the bottle is courtesy of?

The "bottle courtesty of..." thing is actually nice. Not only a posted "thank you" but also a recommendation of a good trade partner.

The glass thing is just braggin' or something. By the way, last night I drank a bottle of End Of Days out of a rad FFF Teku glass.

Verloc
Feb 15, 2001

Note to self: Posting 'lulz' is not a good idea.

Docjowles posted:

If you're part of the initial horde coming in at the start of a session the guys working the door don't have the ability to give fucks about pretzel-based outerwear, much less the inclination to.

Also, any saturday afternoon session goons? Look for the posse of overweight blond folk in City Star t-shirts. One of them will probably be me.

Verloc fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Oct 12, 2012

evilmonkeh
Apr 18, 2004
meh
I went to belgium last weekend and stocked up on beer from Drank Geers in Gent. The place is amazing! a huge warehouse mostly full of Belgian beers, but with others as well. I ended up with a crate of St Bernardus 12, Rochefort 10, assorted de struise beers (pannepot, Tsjeeses, black albert, damnation iii, cuvee delphine) for less than the cost at the school brewery (they ranged from 1.75 - 3 euro) and loads more. If anyone is going near gent it is worth checking out, preferably with a car with lots of beer space.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Verloc posted:

Also, any saturday afternoon session goons? Look for the posse of overweight blond folk in City Star t-shirts. One of them will probably be me.

Thanks. I'm going Saturday afternoon session, I'll look out for you dudes. Are you affiliated with City Star? I dig their tap room.

Verloc
Feb 15, 2001

Note to self: Posting 'lulz' is not a good idea.

Docjowles posted:

Thanks. I'm going Saturday afternoon session, I'll look out for you dudes. Are you affiliated with City Star? I dig their tap room.
Not really. We've traded some steel work to John for free beer in the past, but that's as close to 'affiliated' as we get. The t-shirts are cause we gotta rep the hometown brewery. And cause we were promised tokens for free pints if we showed up at the GABF with City Star gear on :v:

Semi-related, we're trying to get a craft beer enthusiast/homebrew club off the ground out of City Star as well, first tuesday night of every month at 6:00. If you're into homebrewing or just like beer you should show up, it's a good time.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

SUPER HASSLER posted:

NEWS FLASH

You should have asked them why they are such enormous douchebags.
Their forums are only half the problem with beeradvocate.com. They are the other half.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

SUPER HASSLER posted:

NEWS FLASH

The users or the design?

Just kidding, we already know that they're total assholes towards everybody who doesn't kiss their butts.

Sublimer
Sep 20, 2007
get yo' game up

Bell's Black Note is getting tapped tomorrow at a Mellow Mushroom that's literally a block away my house. I'm loving pumped!

Apparently KBS is going to be tapped at some point too but there's no time listed for that one. Oh well I live in Kentucky so I doubt the keg will blow TOO quickly.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
I found a new beer drinking partner, my girlfriend. She's loving beer now after coming from Yuengling. She bought a La Fin Du Monde 750ml+tulip combo today and a GI Matilda, I'm very proud of her. I now have someone to split bombers with who is willing to try new stuff. Yeah I'm bragging, but definitely brag worthy.

As for beer, we went to Triumph brewpub in Princeton, NJ and the area is great, right across from the Princeton University and the brewpub is very nice. I got an 8 beer sampler of 5 ounces each, nothing stood out but all of their beer was solid. I'm now drinking a Bruery / Elysian / Stone La Citrueille Cèleste de Citracado which is weird as is has some cocoa, roasted malts, and a prominent birch beer flavor. It's pretty good though.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

Sublimer posted:

Bell's Black Note is getting tapped tomorrow at a Mellow Mushroom that's literally a block away my house. I'm loving pumped!

Apparently KBS is going to be tapped at some point too but there's no time listed for that one. Oh well I live in Kentucky so I doubt the keg will blow TOO quickly.

Cleveland Beer Week is coming up very soon, and I'm only going to be able to afford to go out one night. I'm really thinking of going to a Black Note tapping, you should let me know how you like it!

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Just got some Lagunitas Daytime Ipa. Pretty good, reminds me of hop stoopid. One question though, the bottle says 4.65% abv but the box says 4.9% what is it?

Also picked up some Farmhouse Hatter really good for the $5 it cost. Might replace the Hop Stoopid purchases that I've been making.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Harminoff posted:

Just got some Lagunitas Daytime Ipa. Pretty good, reminds me of hop stoopid. One question though, the bottle says 4.65% abv but the box says 4.9% what is it?

Also picked up some Farmhouse Hatter really good for the $5 it cost. Might replace the Hop Stoopid purchases that I've been making.

The bottle is always the thing to trust. Bottle labels are much more tightly regulated than six-pack holders.

Cointelprofessional
Jul 2, 2007
Carrots: Make me an offer.

funkybottoms posted:

so, you don't really like sour beers, but you paid to drink a bunch of them...?

Arnold of Soissons posted:

Seriously.

I've had a ton of those beers, and you honestly might as well not have.

The majority of sours that I tried, I didn't care for. To me, funk/barnyard/hay is the least appealing flavor of wild beers. I don't want to drink a bottle that's overly dominant with those flavors or seems off balanced because of them.

Having tasted dozens and dozens of sours, I've developed my own preferences and if something doesn't match that, it's disagreeable. With a style of beer that pushes the envelope in every regard, each example should be polarizing. WWWB is called Blue because it tastes like blue cheese, Lambrucha is made with kambucha. Just because I didn't like them, doesn't mean I didn't enjoy tasting them. I'm happy to try the different fringes to know what brewers are capable of without adoring whatever bacteria farm is produced.

Also, in all honesty many of these brewers are new to the style and making sour beer has a strong component of chance; more than any other style. If Bells makes a mediocre sour they're unlikely to invest 2 years in another batch and I don't think that reflects poorly on me.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!
We just got Boulevard in Georgia and Tank 7 is definitely one of the best beers I've ever had. The only other things I've seen from them in stores has been an IPA, a double IPA, and an American Wheat beer though. I need to go to a better store to see what else they put out, because I was pretty disappointed with those choices.

Midorka posted:

I found a new beer drinking partner, my girlfriend. She's loving beer now after coming from Yuengling. Yeah I'm bragging, but definitely brag worthy.

Congratulations on getting your girlfriend to drink beer instead of Yeungling.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
My wife prefers Cuvee de Jacobins :colbert:

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Josh Wow posted:

We just got Boulevard in Georgia and Tank 7 is definitely one of the best beers I've ever had. The only other things I've seen from them in stores has been an IPA, a double IPA, and an American Wheat beer though. I need to go to a better store to see what else they put out, because I was pretty disappointed with those choices.

i was happy to try most of their regular lineup, and there are a few things i'd throw in a mixed-six now and then, but Tank 7 is on another level. now that i've had it a few times, i think it might be the best widely-available saison made in the US.

Cointelprofessional posted:

The majority of sours that I tried, I didn't care for....

fair enough, i guess, but without knowing all that your post is a bit of a head-scratcher

Captain Shortbus
May 14, 2011

Tank 7 is my go-to when I'm not trying new stuff. I also got a tip about an inner city grocer who can't get poor people to buy expensive beer. Rumor was that they had a few Saison Bretts and possibly some Love Child 2. Going up there after work. I hope it's not a wasted trip.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
New Jersey is finally getting Maine Beer Co stuff! Peepers Ale came first which was a solid pale ale, but Zoe and Mean Old Tom are next! It makes me happy that despite all the negatives about New Jersey, that we get pretty awesome distribution.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Midorka posted:

New Jersey is finally getting Maine Beer Co stuff! Peepers Ale came first which was a solid pale ale, but Zoe and Mean Old Tom are next! It makes me happy that despite all the negatives about New Jersey, that we get pretty awesome distribution.

MO is the poo poo.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

danbanana posted:

MO is the poo poo.

Is it a normal release? I don't know anything about Maine Brewing except the pictures I've seen of their fantastic labels. Peepers Ale was solid, but I wouldn't buy it again, especially for $5-$6.

Oh also my favorite store is supposed to be getting 3 cases of Bourbon County Stout on Monday and if they do I'll be able to get a 4 pack the manager said. I can't wait to try this beer given all the hype it gets. I wonder if the hype will die down a bit now that it's becoming much easier to obtain though.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Midorka posted:

Oh also my favorite store is supposed to be getting 3 cases of BCBS on Monday and if they do I'll be able to get a 4 pack the manager said. I can't wait to try this beer given all the hype it gets. I wonder if the hype will die down a bit now that it's becoming much easier to obtain though.

not this year since it's the first time many markets will have ever seen it. given how FW seems to sit where you are, though, maybe you'll get lucky and be able to stock up.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Midorka posted:

Is it a normal release? I don't know anything about Maine Brewing except the pictures I've seen of their fantastic labels. Peepers Ale was solid, but I wouldn't buy it again, especially for $5-$6.

I believe MO is a regular release. I liked Peepers quite a bit.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Went to Our Mutual Friend last night. The Denver Post has an article about them (sort of) but to recap, their "gimmick" is they do everything in-house right down to malting their own grain.

Beer was OK for a new startup (good pale ale, great saison, awful brown ale) and it's in a pretty hip neighborhood so I imagine they'll stick around.

There are a couple of other just-opened/opening breweries I want to visit, but after 3 days of this my enthusiasm is beginning to flag a bit and so I'll probably just borrow a bike and bump around downtown this afternoon. (And visit Prost, because that place is ridiculous.)

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Another pleasant surprise: The Beerliner is parked on 19th & Blake and pouring free samples of beer from all around Texas all weekend. Go there to taste all the stuff me and air- talk about for yourself. (In particular try Saint Arnold's Endeavour if you like DIPAs and Austin Beerworks' Black Thunder if you like schwarzbier as much as I do.)

Seeing the draft list for today, I'd chase down Temptress from Lakewood (one of the best stouts made in Texas, second only to La Muerta). A little disappointing that Deep Ellum and Peticolas got more tap variety. To me, Lakewood's doing the best beer in the DFW area right now.

Good to see Austin Beerworks having multiple taps as to me, they're the big one to watch out of Central Texas now that Jester King's been pretty much a letdown.

Jahoodie
Jun 27, 2005
Wooo.... college!

Midorka posted:

And yet we can't get Bell's, despite states further away getting it...

Anyone have strategy for finding limited releases? My main squeeze is usually a big specialty wine shop. They just started getting serious about their beers, so stuff sits on the shelf that shouldn't. They've had Brux, Victory's Otto in Oak, and Firestone Walker DDBA sitting around for awhile now.

There's also an out of the way bottle shop in a super affluent area that stocks a big selection of hard to find but not rare stuff, but never moves stock so they get alot of past-prime bottles lurking about. I can still get Sam Adams Infinium from last year (but why would I).

Edit: Midorka, I think you posted about New Jersey Beer Company, did you make it to there? That was the first time I heard about it, and the next day I saw some bottles of theirs on the shelf for the first time. I got the Garden State Stout, and while drinkable it was lacking carbonation; as in I'd return it (but got it from a shop really far away) flat. Wondering if it was a bad six pack, or they haven't gotten their bottling lines down yet.

Jahoodie fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Oct 13, 2012

Cointelprofessional
Jul 2, 2007
Carrots: Make me an offer.

Jahoodie posted:

Anyone have strategy for finding limited releases?

I have rotating cast of bottle shops that I frequent, knowing that the distributor staggers releases among them helps. You can make friends with the staff and they'll usually hold things for you if you let them know what you're looking for. Also, if you're looking for something that's hard to find, avoid the good beer shops. Those will have been picked over already. Look at the out of the way places or neighborhood shops. My parents hometown has one store and it's started to get a good stock over the past year. I picked up 10 bottles of La Folie 2010 that have been sitting there for years as well as several Frangelic Mountain Browns for $13 each.

Captain Shortbus
May 14, 2011

There's a new brewpub just south of KC. They had a really good Strong Beer festival with a bunch of great kegs. Now they're finally up and brewing. I hope they are better at brewing beer than naming it.
They just tweeted this:

quote:

Finalized our first six beer names--- flat tire, 89min ipa, brunch stout, reconstruction ale, Pliny the bitch, Triple havk

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
Hopefully that's just a (not very funny) joke

Jahoodie
Jun 27, 2005
Wooo.... college!

cryme posted:

Hopefully that's just a (not very funny) joke

It's a pretty good social media buzz troll, actually.(Hopefully)

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Jahoodie posted:

And yet we can't get Bell's, despite states further away getting it...

Anyone have strategy for finding limited releases? My main squeeze is usually a big specialty wine shop. They just started getting serious about their beers, so stuff sits on the shelf that shouldn't. They've had Brux, Victory's Otto in Oak, and Firestone Walker DDBA sitting around for awhile now.

There's also an out of the way bottle shop in a super affluent area that stocks a big selection of hard to find but not rare stuff, but never moves stock so they get alot of past-prime bottles lurking about. I can still get Sam Adams Infinium from last year (but why would I).

Edit: Midorka, I think you posted about New Jersey Beer Company, did you make it to there? That was the first time I heard about it, and the next day I saw some bottles of theirs on the shelf for the first time. I got the Garden State Stout, and while drinkable it was lacking carbonation; as in I'd return it (but got it from a shop really far away) flat. Wondering if it was a bad six pack, or they haven't gotten their bottling lines down yet.

Philly gets Bell's though, it's just a hassle to drive into the city and the laws on buying things in the state blow. I mean where the gently caress is a good store in the Philly area to buy singles and 6 packs? Are there any? I've only been to a few places in Philly and they only sold singles.

As for getting limited stuff, make friends with a beer manager, that's the only way I've been able to get limited stuff, with the exception of one store putting everything on the shelves and it always being there for at least a week. As for the beer you named, they are pretty common it seems, on the shelves at most stores around here. Where are you located?

As for NJ Beer Co, no I didn't make it there since they started tastings at 5 and we were out of the area by 4pm, gently caress Newark and Hoboken suck so bad.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Jahoodie posted:

It's a pretty good social media buzz troll, actually.(Hopefully)

You can't buy that kind of publicity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uuudar
Apr 18, 2003

Huge_Midget posted:

Also holy gently caress when did Bourbon County go up to $25 a 4 pack? Christ.

Silly D&D Liquors in Wicker Park; you can find this stuff everywhere this year. I saw 4-5 cases at my Jewel for $20/4pack