Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

eXXon posted:

Anyone have experience with Distributel, Acanac or Teksavvy cable near Yonge and Bloor?

Acanac's the cheapest for 18 Mbit. I'm not sure if I really need 18 vs 6 since I don't do much :filez: anymore, but it does require a 12 month contract and I've heard less than encouraging things about their billing and customer service.

I've had both teksavvy and acanac in that hood in two different locations and the service has been okay. It's kind of random if Bell will rate your line properly so go with their cable service so you don't have to deal with bell tech bs. I'm waiting till I move before switching to cable myself. Teksavvy dsl has been a nightmare trying to get the correct rating and speeds. Billing and customer service is top notch though.

Acanac's billing and customer service actually is as bad as you've heard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011

thexerox123 posted:

I don't recall how much they pay, but it's wayyy too much and I discovered before that they're only paying for a 5 mbps plan. They tend to get ~3 mbps, which is still pathetic. (Checked, they pay $60-$70 a month, not sure specifically how much.)

And it's back to... "regular" speeds now, but it pretty frequently drops the connection altogether or has periods of severe slowdown.

There may be a periodic issue with the line that's actually due to something being broken, but I have no desire to get it fixed, since Bell is ripping them off tremendously already, I'd rather just get them moved to TekSavvy. (They're basically ready to, it's just a matter of actually getting the transition started.)

While they're under Bell, they might have an easier time getting them to validate wiring and such, before the transition to Teksavvy. Under Teksavvy, they'll still have to put in tickets through to Bell for that stuff anyway... and I have a feeling Bell would be more inclined to drag their heels with it after the move.

Edit: Pretty much beaten on that one. :P

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Kachunkachunk posted:

While they're under Bell, they might have an easier time getting them to validate wiring and such, before the transition to Teksavvy. Under Teksavvy, they'll still have to put in tickets through to Bell for that stuff anyway... and I have a feeling Bell would be more inclined to drag their heels with it after the move.

Well, it would be Rogers after the switch, but the same thing does apply. Although both times I've needed a Rogers tech to come in to fix our TekSavvy service at my apartment, they've been okay... a few days' wait, though.

Now it's more a matter of whether it's an issue with Bell's DSL line in particular, or if it could also be an issue that would effect a cable line. Because if it's just a DSL-line problem, then it would be a non-issue.

l33t HAXOR
Jun 21, 2000

Whats the matter, You dont like Fuckin Pearl Jam?
The last couple times I've had to deal with dsl having stupidly horrible speeds like that the problem has been that the cable running from bell's box to the house has been damaged in some fashion causing the wires inside to corrode. Both times the bell tech replacing the cable has returned the line to normal speed instantly. Might not be your problem but it seems to be a pretty common one. If that is your problem then the cable line shouldn't be affected so switching to TS cable should be fine.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
Ah if you're going to cable, it probably won't matter at all. I kind of prefer cable over DSL anyway.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Zigmidge posted:

I've had both teksavvy and acanac in that hood in two different locations and the service has been okay. It's kind of random if Bell will rate your line properly so go with their cable service so you don't have to deal with bell tech bs. I'm waiting till I move before switching to cable myself. Teksavvy dsl has been a nightmare trying to get the correct rating and speeds. Billing and customer service is top notch though.

Acanac's billing and customer service actually is as bad as you've heard.

Good, thanks.

I was hoping Acanac isn't as bad as people have said - a few people I know have their dsl and haven't complained yet, although they haven't tried cancelling or calling customer service at all. I'm probably going to get cable anyways.

Acanac's the cheapest out of the 3, although I guess I could look at start or Velcom or some other smaller startup. They all seem to charge about $40/month for 18mbit cable. I don't really need 18mbit down but the slower packages usually only have 256k up which is ridiculously slow in 2012.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
Acanac has the lowest price, but they require you to pay for 1 year up front to get that rate.

I've had Acanac, Teksavvy, and now Start. Acanac has the worst support and billing by far. They told me to open a ticket via email when my service was completely cut. They don't seem to like dealing by phone. It was a struggle to cancel and get a refund.

Teksavvy was wonderful and took care of things nicely. I'd go back to them, but Start had better speed options in my area.

quaint bucket
Nov 29, 2007

Did Netflix Canada get better?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

quaint bucket posted:

Did Netflix Canada get better?

No, it's loving awful.

But Netflix Canada + $5/mo Unblock-US subscription makes it suddenly useful again.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

What exactly is missing from the Canadian one that's available on the US? I tried it once with tunlr and didn't see anything I really needed to have. At the time I just wanted new seasons of Community and Mad Men; the former showed up on the Canadian one soon thereafter and I'm still waiting for Mad Men.

Marty, why would you pay for Unblock-US when tunlr does the same thing and is free last time I checked?

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
It doesn't even have instant queue.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

eXXon posted:

What exactly is missing from the Canadian one that's available on the US? I tried it once with tunlr and didn't see anything I really needed to have. At the time I just wanted new seasons of Community and Mad Men; the former showed up on the Canadian one soon thereafter and I'm still waiting for Mad Men.

Marty, why would you pay for Unblock-US when tunlr does the same thing and is free last time I checked?

I don't know if you tried recently but tunlr doesn't support Netflix anymore so you just see the exact same Canadian stuff. If you hit up instantwatcher.com you can usually find a whole bunch of stuff the US site has that we can't access on the Canadian one. Just an off the cuff example, I was sick last week and felt like binging through some old Law and Order episodes. When it thought I was using a Canadian IP, displayed zero of any L&O type show. The American catalog had hundreds of episodes spanning three different series. That's just a weird back catalog example but there is a ton of stuff you can't get. It's really cheap to get unblock-us or unotelly and then you get a really respectable catalog to work with for a really small monthly fee.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Wirth1000 posted:

It doesn't even have instant queue.

What's the difference between instant queue and "Your List"? Does instant queue play through like a playlist?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Oh I see, tunlr dropped netflix support just last week. That sucks.

Still, I have enough things left to watch on the Canadian one that I don't really care yet. It would be nice to have an actual functional queue system though.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I use unblock-us with Netflix but I haven't noticed the instant queue, is it on the website only or do the various apps support it too?

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
I use Netflix with UnoDNS and it's been awesome. Free trial if you want to give it a go. I can't recall if instant queue is there. I usually just pick and choose what I want to watch. It's dirt cheap $3.99 USD per month and all you have to do is configure a two DNS addresses on your router or PC.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
I also use unblock-us. It's great, since I can access Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Prime Instant Videos. Additionally, it gives you access to things like the BBC' iPlayer and Channel4's 4od.com service.

I haven't tried it yet, but I found it interesting that you can now use the service to switch between various Netflix-accessible countries to see their catalogs.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I can't give you a rundown of exactly what is missing from the Canadian Netflix, but in my experience whenever I get an off-the-cuff urge to watch a show I find it missing from Canadian Netflix. This has been the case more often than not. The latest one was Doctor Who, but it certainly doesn't begin or end there. Discovery just pulled Mythbusters from the Canadian Netflix too. It used to be there but they removed it.

If all you want to do is watch the latest movies then honestly Canadian Netflix is probably okay. If you want to dig a little deeper, you might be disappointed.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Martytoof posted:

I can't give you a rundown of exactly what is missing from the Canadian Netflix, but in my experience whenever I get an off-the-cuff urge to watch a show I find it missing from Canadian Netflix. This has been the case more often than not. The latest one was Doctor Who, but it certainly doesn't begin or end there. Discovery just pulled Mythbusters from the Canadian Netflix too. It used to be there but they removed it.

If all you want to do is watch the latest movies then honestly Canadian Netflix is probably okay. If you want to dig a little deeper, you might be disappointed.
I will say that Canadian Netflix has the Stargates. I'm pretty sure it's because Amazon paid for exclusive U.S. streaming rights.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

mediaphage posted:

I will say that Canadian Netflix has the Stargates. I'm pretty sure it's because Amazon paid for exclusive U.S. streaming rights.

I think Stargate is considered to be Canadian content, which you won't find lacking on Netflix Canada. It's usually when you want to watch either American or foreign content that you run into issues.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Parachute Underwear posted:

I think Stargate is considered to be Canadian content, which you won't find lacking on Netflix Canada. It's usually when you want to watch either American or foreign content that you run into issues.
Probably. But in this case it's all down to licensing.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

mediaphage posted:

Probably. But in this case it's all down to licensing.

Licensing: why Hard Core Logo is on the American Netflix and not Canadian Netflix.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
Canadian Netflix: 870 titles http://instantwatcher.com/genres/523
Netflix: 14110 titles http://instantwatcher.com/titles/all?canada_filter=0

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

:stare: Holy poo poo, I had no idea the gap was this big.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Um... are you sure that accounts for all of the titles? They claimed that it had over 7000 titles available at launch, in Canada.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
870 seems low, I know some people who have more DVDs than that.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

priznat posted:

870 seems low, I know some people who have more DVDs than that.

It definitely doesn't have everything. I did a search in that first link for The X-Files, which I've been watching on Netflix in Canada, and it didn't come up. Same with Misfits.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Oct 11, 2012

quaint bucket
Nov 29, 2007

Ugh, only 10% of flicks on Netflix America actually have subtitles.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

thexerox123 posted:

It definitely doesn't have everything. I did a search in that first link for The X-Files, which I've been watching on Netflix in Canada, and it didn't come up. Same with Misfits.

Yeah that's missing a lot of stuff but I remember in a previous thread someone had come up with some figures and said it was roughly 9-10% of the American catalog. That was shortly after launch so who knows where its at now though. All I know is that any time I just search for something at random using US DNS, I can usually find it. With the Canadian one its extremely rare that I ever find anything I'm looking for, to the point where I don't even bother searching anymore and just browse using the interface.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
It's an american website, and doesn't seem to know about canadian only content like Misfits or the new Tintin movie. I don't know any other way to figure out the numbers though. Consider it more of an illustration about orders of magnitude.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
I don't know how these guys get their data but I find it pretty useful for using netflix canada: http://can.whatsnewonnetflix.com/

oh also, I can't figure out why I can't get unblock-us to work on my ps3. It won't work for netflix, huluplus nor amazon instant. All 3 just try to launch then give errors about not being available at this time. The unblock-us status page says I'm set up correctly though when I navigate to it through the PS3.

I changed my dns on my ps3. I shouldn't have to change it on my router too, should I?

Squibbles fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Oct 12, 2012

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I just have my unblock us settings on my router so any device in my house will use it. In the network settings assign the gateway IP to the same IP as your router.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

I'm a huge retarded sperglord who can't spell, but Starfleet Dental would still take me and I love them for it!

Squibbles posted:

I don't know how these guys get their data but I find it pretty useful for using netflix canada: http://can.whatsnewonnetflix.com/

oh also, I can't figure out why I can't get unblock-us to work on my ps3. It won't work for netflix, huluplus nor amazon instant. All 3 just try to launch then give errors about not being available at this time. The unblock-us status page says I'm set up correctly though when I navigate to it through the PS3.

I changed my dns on my ps3. I shouldn't have to change it on my router too, should I?

Ah the only thing you have to change on your ps3 is the dns server and then make sure its internet facing ip is the same ip as the one that is "active" on your unblockus account.

You also often have to turn off and on the ps3 after changing the settings for it to purge its dns cache.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Sprawl posted:

Ah the only thing you have to change on your ps3 is the dns server and then make sure its internet facing ip is the same ip as the one that is "active" on your unblockus account.

You also often have to turn off and on the ps3 after changing the settings for it to purge its dns cache.

Hmm, I'll try again tonight. I changed the dns on the ps3, restarted it, held start/select while launching netflix to reset it and then it wouldn't connect anymore. I'll check the IP configured on unblockus I guess.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

Squibbles posted:

Looking at their data there are 2217 movies and 390 series listed, so hooray for that.

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008

Squibbles posted:

Hmm, I'll try again tonight. I changed the dns on the ps3, restarted it, held start/select while launching netflix to reset it and then it wouldn't connect anymore. I'll check the IP configured on unblockus I guess.

The trick is to goto the unblock us website using the ps3 web browser and check service. If you do that after setting the DNS & restarting it will work, at least in my experience. The annoying part is that you must check service every time you try to load netflix.

It's easiest to set the DNS on the router itself, but then you can't access canadian content on the fly.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Oh My Science posted:

The trick is to goto the unblock us website using the ps3 web browser and check service. If you do that after setting the DNS & restarting it will work, at least in my experience. The annoying part is that you must check service every time you try to load netflix.

It's easiest to set the DNS on the router itself, but then you can't access canadian content on the fly.
Actually, they introduced a feature where you can go to their website and switch up what country your Netflix requests go to.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Oddly I went to the unblockus site on my computer and it said my IP address had changed or something. I told it to update and now everything works. No fiddling with anything on either of my PS3's, it just works. Plus now I can watch the free stuff on Amazon Instant Prime (since I have a prime account).

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Anyone been sucessful in getting a Netflix interface that has the instant queue feature? I've tried on my PS3, WDTV Live and through a web browser with no luck. I've tried using unblock-us and I can definitely see the US content but its the same lovely app interface. It is hard to believe Netflix has been this successful when they can't even make a simple way to bookmark or queue items.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

The Gunslinger posted:

It is hard to believe Netflix has been this successful when they can't even make a simple way to bookmark or queue items.

Don't you have "My List"? If you hover over a show's image thumbnail on the web version, a little overlay appears that says "Add to list".

You can't queue things, but that's their bookmarking system, at least.