Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

GanjamonII posted:

Crashed at Texas World Speedway (Turn 10). Lowsided, slid 50+ feet accross the track into the grass/dirt.

Please ignore my rather crappy taping up of the lights, I didn't have much time to prepare.

Basically I leaned the bike over too much (possibly I should have hung off more), my footpeg started dragging hard and then something solid caught and the bike just went out from under me. I did have the split second of realisation of what was happening, then I did the whole 'try to get up while still sliding' thing. Followed by hitting the dirt, becoming unstuck from the bike and rolling a few times.

My foot was stuck under the bike while sliding across the pavement which wore a hole I can put a finger through on my right SMX plus boot. A few feet more and my skin would have been contacting the track.

All the gear did a pretty good job. My knox handroids are a bit scuffed, but all the sliders in the palms and the wrists really worked which was cool to see. The boots I'll put a thick leather patch on and call it a day, my suit needs some patching on the stretch panel by the shoulder, but otherwise everything is fine and reusable. Helmet somehow never touched the ground except for a light scratch on the visor.

Bike just needs new tail plastic, handlebar and possibly the front brake lever, right footpeg and bracket assembly, frame slider and brake lever and a couple minor things. Then there is cosmetic stuff like the underbelly plastics etc.

My brother was at TWS this weekend and I think he was in a paddock or area just near you. He mentioned that someone crashed their Aprilia but was riding it around in the parking lot later on.

Glad there weren't any injuries from this. Good luck on getting it all back together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible

An observer posted:

Holy moly. That's one hell of an experience. I'm really glad you made it out ok. Can you explain a bit about insurance? I don't have a bike yet, or even a car, so the only insurance I've got is health. Not too savvy in all this bureaucratic bullshit.

I'm going to make a more developed post on it, but the gist is this (in Arizona at least) the minimum required insurance is $15k/$30k/$10k, that means 15k per person coverage, 30k per accident and 10k property damage (your bike+farkles).

Now, estimates say 15-40% of drivers are UNINSURED...how many of the rest probably have the bare minimum? I would guess over 90% of them.

So if you are riding along and a jackass turns in front of you, chances are he has no insurance or you can maybe sue his insurance for $15k. My medical costs were over that ON THE FIRST DAY.

See why you need UNDERinsured too?

I really had no idea about these things and just had the minimum, now I carry a $100k policy on all my vehicles so if I somehow cause harm to anyone else on the road, I'll be sure they're taken care of.

You will want to ask your insurance specifically in your state, as some things seem to indicate Uninsured/Underinsured terminology means protection for the vehicle in some states and they have PIP (Personal Injury Protection) for medical expenses.

Yes, it's all very convoluted.

And also, health insurance doesn't necessarily mean you're covered either (and again, this may vary by state). I have health insurance, but the hospital puts leins on the settlement for the whole billable amount -before insurance-, meaning they get paid before you do. They get paid as though you didn't have health insurance you pay for every month. So you really need coverage for the whole dollar amount. It is -extremely easy- to rack up tens or even hundreds of thousands of dollars in pre-insurance medical debt. And while no amount is ever 'worth it', getting a chunk of money at the end helps make it suck a little less.

Tidbit 2: Get a lawyer. A good one with experience in motorcycle accidents. I wouldn't just jump to one of those guys who advertise as being riders though, ask around. The best lawyers don't need to advertise and they are less likely to push you through the system on whatever gives them the most profit with the least effort. I found mine through a friend and he was fantastic.

Corrupt Cypher
Jul 20, 2006

Becktastic posted:

I'm going to make a more developed post on it, but the gist is this (in Arizona at least) the minimum required insurance is $15k/$30k/$10k, that means 15k per person coverage, 30k per accident and 10k property damage (your bike+farkles).

Holy poo poo, America. The kickass combination of the highest medical costs and the lowest insurance requirements. In Canada I believe $500,000 is mandatory (I have $2,000,000)! :(

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Here in the good ol' US of A we have the freedom to sue and be sued. By attorneys, for attorneys!

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE

GanjamonII posted:

The pics of my gear are here: http://imgur.com/a/1YpmE

Just uploading these it made me kind of amazed just how little damage there is to the gear (admittedly I missed the worst of the gloves pic, but even then its just a little more severe than that). And then it also made me question whether I actually did roll in the dirt because the suit is so clean on the chest area. I swear I remember rolling.. but the evidence is missing!

Is that the Teknik Chicane suit? Looks like all the gear held up really well!

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

MetaJew posted:

My brother was at TWS this weekend and I think he was in a paddock or area just near you. He mentioned that someone crashed their Aprilia but was riding it around in the parking lot later on.

Glad there weren't any injuries from this. Good luck on getting it all back together.

Yeah that was me. I rode it back to the pits from the track and then into the trailer.

xaarman posted:

Is that the Teknik Chicane suit? Looks like all the gear held up really well!

Yep thats the chicane. It is surprisingly good for the money. I think I got it for less than 300$ and that is the second accident it has survived without real damage.

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea

Corrupt Cypher posted:

Holy poo poo, America. The kickass combination of the highest medical costs and the lowest insurance requirements. In Canada I believe $500,000 is mandatory (I have $2,000,000)! :(

Yeah, that's exactly why I asked about insurance. I know if I get in one bad wreck, the rest of my life will probably be hosed because of medical poo poo. :patriot:

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Pretty sure even the most basic and cheap vehicle insurance policies in Australia covers you up to $10,000,000.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

:911: gently caress yeah greed

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Becktastic posted:

You will want to ask your insurance specifically in your state, as some things seem to indicate Uninsured/Underinsured terminology means protection for the vehicle in some states and they have PIP (Personal Injury Protection) for medical expenses.

Yes, it's all very convoluted.

There is UM/UIM (uninsured & underinsured) coverage which is for bodily injury and UMPD which is for property damage. This varies from state to state, but UM/UIM & UMPD are two very different coverages.

Some states also carry PIP and Medpay while some only carry PIP. They are different coverages too!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Becktastic posted:

Hey all. I had a pretty bad accident back in January and now that my legal case is settled and over with, I can finally talk about it. I wrote a pretty detailed blog post HERE and I'm going to have some more coming up with advice on insurance, lawyers, doctors and stuff. I'm really thankful that everything ended up okay for me, because if anything I learned that had the scenario gone down just a tiny bit differently, I would have been really screwed over.

One tidbit for now: Make sure you have Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage. Seriously, stop what you are doing right now and check your policy and if you don't have it, call and add it RIGHT THIS MOMENT. Because the last thing anyone needs is a busted up body, a totalled bike and crushing medical debt.

Glad to see it's all been settled and everything has ended up ok. I've got 500k Under/Uninsured coverage on my bikes for just the reasons that you've mentioned.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
I've never really understood how, if you're in an accident at fault of an uninsured motorist, the medical/legal side ends up being "Oh well, gently caress you, they broke the law and endangered your life, but you get to pay for all of it," instead of repossessing their poo poo until the medical bills are paid.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Corrupt Cypher posted:

$3,000,000 umbrella, baby.

Seriously, if you own a home, bundle the homeowner's and vehicle policies and add an umbrella policy for the worst case scenarios.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

AncientTV posted:

I've never really understood how, if you're in an accident at fault of an uninsured motorist, the medical/legal side ends up being "Oh well, gently caress you, they broke the law and endangered your life, but you get to pay for all of it," instead of repossessing their poo poo until the medical bills are paid.

Poor people don't have poo poo to repossess, and the hospital doesn't give a gently caress who pays it as long as someone does.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Becktastic posted:

Hey all. I had a pretty bad accident back in January and now that my legal case is settled and over with, I can finally talk about it. I wrote a pretty detailed blog post HERE and I'm going to have some more coming up with advice on insurance, lawyers, doctors and stuff. I'm really thankful that everything ended up okay for me, because if anything I learned that had the scenario gone down just a tiny bit differently, I would have been really screwed over.

One tidbit for now: Make sure you have Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage. Seriously, stop what you are doing right now and check your policy and if you don't have it, call and add it RIGHT THIS MOMENT. Because the last thing anyone needs is a busted up body, a totalled bike and crushing medical debt.

Glad you are okay Beck.

Oh god I remember that wrist picture. That still gives me nightmares.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
Becks, can I recommend a sham marriage and emigration to somewhere with civilised-world healthcare?

Just think, you could get taken out by careless drivers everyday and not even worry about it! Also easier and less degrading than understanding the labyrinthine American health and auto insurance system.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Glad you're doing better. I wouldn't have a motorcycle if I didn't have health insurance through my dad's plan. :smith:

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible

Saga posted:

Becks, can I recommend a sham marriage and emigration to somewhere with civilised-world healthcare?

Is this an offer? :wink:

After some months of dealing with the shitpile we call the American Healthcare System I was pretty much in a panic about needing to leave the country ASAP. I've calmed down a little now that everything settled (and in my favor much better than I originally expected), but I do know I don't want to grow old here. Being injured in this country was seriously the worst experience of my life.

I think the best example was the day after my accident when I had to return to the ER. Blog post about that HERE

Becktastic fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Oct 12, 2012

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Saga posted:

With the way the UK is heading, I think your level of healthcare is going to tank severely.

Not that Denmark is much better. The libertarian right-wingers seem to be slowly building themselves a foothold and poisoning the traditionally conservative parties' politics :(

E: Seriously, gently caress Evil Dr. Barbie. She sounds like a right old bitch.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Oct 12, 2012

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Becktastic posted:

After some months of dealing with the shitpile we call the American Healthcare System I was pretty much in a panic about needing to leave the country ASAP. I've calmed down a little now that everything settled (and in my favor much better than I originally expected), but I do know I don't want to grow old here. Being injured in this country was seriously the worst experience of my life.

I think the best example was the day after my surgery when I had to return to the ER. Blog post about that HERE

While "Dr. Barbie" is fun, that post would be more interesting with her actual name . . .

Any professional that treats her patients/clients/etc. like that needs some naming and shaming.

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea
Your best bet is probably Canada. Anywhere else worth moving to has insane levels of restrictions on immigration. You can tell I've spent a good amount of time researching this :eng99:

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Got a phone call from my girlfriend around 8:15: "So I may have had an accident on the way to work this morning." From the sound of it, she low-sided taking a right turn at the bottom of a hill (Manor onto Thorndyke for you Seattle folk). She said she was running late and going too fast down the hill on a wet road.
Apparently the scooter is fine outside of a broken headlight cover and no more right turn signal. I don't care about that, though. Scooter or not, there's a reason I make here where a jacket, gloves and full face helmet, at the least. I might be buying a new textile rather than boots tomorrow.
I need to get her some actual riding boots that aren't mid-calf so she'll actually wear them during her commute.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Becktastic posted:

After some months of dealing with the shitpile we call the American Healthcare System I was pretty much in a panic about needing to leave the country ASAP. [/b]

I nominate Ola - gentleman, scholar, raconteur and friend to immigrants, according to the three long-haired Thai gentlemen with winsome hips and curiously high-pitched voices who live under his bed.

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible

An observer posted:

Your best bet is probably Canada. Anywhere else worth moving to has insane levels of restrictions on immigration. You can tell I've spent a good amount of time researching this :eng99:

Well I think you can immigrate just about anywhere if you go the sham marriage route. I really like Canada/Canadians, but I detest winter...this greatly limits my options.

Central America is really easy to immigrate to and much warmer. Well, you don't really immigrate so much as just move there and live there and no one asks you to leave. I could totally live in Honduras or Nicaragua.

I'm not sure how much of an improvement it is on the medical front though. Cheaper at least.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Saga posted:

I nominate Ola - gentleman, scholar, raconteur and friend to immigrants, according to the three long-haired Thai gentlemen with winsome hips and curiously high-pitched voices who live under his bed.

Volunteering for this position if Becks takes another route.

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible

Saga posted:

Maybe I can get my own television show where hot dudes on bikes compete in a series of gauntlet-esque riding challenges to win a sham marriage and RTW trip with yours truly. It's like Romaniacs meets The Bachelorette.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

Becktastic posted:

Maybe I can get my own television show where hot dudes on bikes compete in a series of gauntlet-esque riding challenges to win a sham marriage and RTW trip with yours truly. It's like Romaniacs meets The Bachelorette.

Goons not good enough for you eh?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Becktastic posted:

New Zealand. Thats where Im going someday.

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible

Backov posted:

Goons not good enough for you eh?

The two aren't necessarily mutually exclusive, go cruise the ultimate transformation thread in YLLS :swoon: It's hard to tell who's hot in CA, we need a post yourself with your helmet off thread. :cheeky:

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.
I have a zebra striped DRZ that I can offer as a dowry. :v:
You'll have to teach my GF how to ride, though.

Wait.

Nevermind. I live in Colorado. We have something that passes for "winter" here.

Wait.

Nevermind. That's an excuse to buy a Ural GearUp.

You'll still have to teach Audrey how to ride, though.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Becktastic posted:

The two aren't necessarily mutually exclusive, go cruise the ultimate transformation thread in YLLS :swoon: It's hard to tell who's hot in CA, we need a post yourself with your helmet off thread. :cheeky:

Okay I just checked out the YLLS thread you mentioned and drat. Im a married man but your did one amazing transformation there. I need to get off my rear end and hit the gym again.

Also make the helmets off thread, I will participate.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Okay I just checked out the YLLS thread you mentioned and drat. Im a married man but your did one amazing transformation there. I need to get off my rear end and hit the gym again.

Also make the helmets off thread, I will participate.

It is done.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3511574

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible

Kenny Rogers posted:

I have a zebra striped DRZ that I can offer as a dowry. :v:
You'll have to teach my GF how to ride, though.

Wait.

Nevermind. I live in Colorado. We have something that passes for "winter" here.

Wait.

Nevermind. That's an excuse to buy a Ural GearUp.

You'll still have to teach Audrey how to ride, though.

I'm not sure your Colorado citizenship will solve my problem. :cheeky:

I would still teach your gf to ride though. Chickfest (a big event for girl dirt bikers) is held up there near Salida. Unfortunately they didn't have it this year and I'm not sure it will happen again since the Forest Service deciding to harass everyone last time.

The cool news is I'll be in Denver Nov 1st, the bad news is it's for arm surgery and I'm not sure I'll be in any shape to teach anyone anything before I head to San Diego.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Becktastic posted:

Sup baby. My state gonna get single payer health insurance soon.

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Sup baby. My state gonna get single payer health insurance soon.

:wtf:

What's up 80's?

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
If by that you mean what's up with the 80's being so goddamn cool

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

schreibs posted:

:wtf:

What's up 80's?

I've got old leathers for the track too. z customs that are tough as hell and only cost me $100 on ebay. Bargain.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
Мутмут?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xl-B1NmdGMw

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Передняя панель рычаг

How do you grab that much front brake anyway, are they just never told an instant handful is bad or do they forget it in the moment?

Bondematt fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Oct 21, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

Was riding in the rain the other day. Tried to pull into a parking lot but turned way too suddenly. The bike started wobbling and I did the rational thing and panic grabbed the front brake and the bike tipped over.

Considering I was only going about 5 mph I'd hesitate to call it a crash, and the only problem with the bike is that the front wheel is out of alignment. Took it to the shop yesterday so I'll be hearing back on Monday if there's any other problems. I'm pissed now because it's a beautiful day outside and I'm missing out because I was riding like an idiot.

• Locked thread