Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Cuboidal 64
Sep 29, 2010

Green dick is better than blue dick
Lack of 1080p for NSMBU is kinda disappointing, but I don't think it matters much. Looking at it, it doesn't seem it'd benefit THAT much from it. I'll be pretty disappointed if they don't get that on the next 3D Mario though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

I won't notice any difference between 720p and 1080p in a game like NSMBU considering the art style. That sort of thing matters more to me with games that are trying to look as realistic as possible.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Apparently Nintendo is bad at both Internet AND HD.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Louisgod posted:

To be fair this is the first time they have a console that's actually capable of doing both of these features.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Louisgod posted:

What did they do bad with the internet?

In terms of HD. The "last gen" of consoles showed me that the 720p v 1080p was not the deciding factor as to how good a game looked. Textures and poly's dont get affected the same wa as a movie or tv show is when with reguards to that resolution difference. I stoped looking at what resolution the games were at very early on.

Still stupid of Nintendo to advertise something that they couldnt deliver, I hope that its just a launch rush and they want to get the game out so its cut in this case.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

japtor posted:

Wouldn't a nunchuck+remote scheme be better for aiming?

Well, in a traditional FPS, yeah, totally. But the way HAWKEN felt as I tried it out felt heavier; you are controlling a mech, after all. Plus HAWKEN's trying to implement all the HUD stuff into the viewmodels but is having trouble; using the Gamepad's screen for extra stuff while keeping the main screen HUD minimalistic might be useful. Overall I felt the Gamepad would be a better fit.

Also good Wiimote FPSes have that thing where you have "wiggle room" for aiming before the camera starts moving and the HAWKEN devs are ABSOLUTELY against having "wiggle room" in the aiming system because, well, you're driving a mech.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Bombadilillo posted:

What did they do bad with the internet?

You have got to be loving kidding. Did you never own a Wii?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

If the game is actually rendered in 720p, they would just be upscaling it to 1080p and it wouldn't really look that much better.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

TaurusOxford posted:

You have got to be loving kidding. Did you never own a Wii?

I never went online other then kids doing mii stuff/ youvote whatever and netflix. All those worked great. Never tried to game online.

(Not trying to troll)

scottus
Jul 31, 2012

DoctorWhat posted:

Plus HAWKEN's trying to implement all the HUD stuff into the viewmodels but is having trouble; using the Gamepad's screen for extra stuff while keeping the main screen HUD minimalistic might be useful.

Y'know, having the controller vibrate when you're starting to overheat could be pretty cool

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

scottus posted:

Y'know, having the controller vibrate when you're starting to overheat could be pretty cool

I'll suggest this today! Any other suggestions for Wii U stuff for HAWKEN?

... Does the Gamepad have rumble?

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Xavier434 posted:

I won't notice any difference between 720p and 1080p in a game like NSMBU considering the art style. That sort of thing matters more to me with games that are trying to look as realistic as possible.

Nintendo just wanted to make it difficult for the kids behind "Digital Foundry" or "The Lens of Truth" trying to benchmark frame by frame NSMBU against a supposed PS3 version by recreating their levels in Little Big Planet. I think it's a sensible decision.

scottus
Jul 31, 2012

DoctorWhat posted:

I'll suggest this today! Any other suggestions for Wii U stuff for HAWKEN?

Oh geeze, it better. Though now that I think about it, general rumbling would really enhance the feeling of scale and power of the mechs..

I can't really think of anything else :shrug:

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

Quest For Glory II posted:

Can this be sourced? We don't even know a single thing about the Wii U's OS yet. If what you said was true, Nintendo would have to make two separate Virtual Console stores so that future releases would work on the gamepad.

Nintendo's said outright that Wii games, WiiWare, and Wii VC stuff runs inside "Wii Mode", which doesn't allow for things like transferring the TV feed to the gamepad.

The note about the gamepad/pro controller not working for Wii titles is probably an extrapolation from how the WiiU is set up to handle Wii software in a similar fashion to how the Wii was set up to handle GC software, in that the unit just contains the hardware for the last console and, for GC on Wii, all the next-gen stuff shuts down as soon as you enter GC Mode and you had to drop the Wii controllers in favor of GC controllers.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Bombadilillo posted:

I never went online other then kids doing mii stuff/ youvote whatever and netflix. All those worked great. Never tried to game online.

(Not trying to troll)

That's the problem right there. To put it in short for you, online gaming on Wii was mediocre at best and a joke at worst. Third party developers generally had to work their rear end off to make their online work decently, and most of Nintendo's attempts at online play were a laughable trainwreck(see 4-player Smash Bros. Brawl).

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

TaurusOxford posted:

That's the problem right there. To put it in short for you, online gaming on Wii was mediocre at best and a joke at worst. Third party developers generally had to work their rear end off to make their online work decently, and most of Nintendo's attempts at online play were a laughable trainwreck(see 4-player Smash Bros. Brawl).

Ok, I was aware of friend codes being a thing, but not that games were just unplayable online.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Cuboidal 64 posted:

Lack of 1080p for NSMBU is kinda disappointing, but I don't think it matters much. Looking at it, it doesn't seem it'd benefit THAT much from it. I'll be pretty disappointed if they don't get that on the next 3D Mario though.

Doesn't pretty much every game on PS3/360 only run at 720 anyway except for God of War 3 and like two other games? I know many of them say 1080 on the box but don't they just upscale to that?

Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

Lack of electricity... is my destiny...

DoctorWhat posted:

Yes.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Neo Rasa posted:

Doesn't pretty much every game on PS3/360 only run at 720 anyway except for God of War 3 and like two other games? I know many of them say 1080 on the box but don't they just upscale to that?

MSG4 was 1080p but that just Otacons stuble even more jarring. Games look good or the dont, you shouldnt worry about the resolution with games.

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here

Neo Rasa posted:

Right but Nintendo is saying the Wii U is a next gen console so it should be superior to the 360 and ps3. Here's hoping between 720 and no online that nsmbu is just a rush job and not a sign of things to come.

Amcoti fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Oct 12, 2012

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Atomicated posted:

Right but Nintendo is saying the Wii U is a next gen console so it should be superior to the 360 and ps3.

It was a next gen console six years ago. Nintendo hasn't quite realized that yet.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

TaurusOxford posted:

It was a next gen console six years ago. Nintendo hasn't quite realized that yet.

Substantially stronger GPU and way more RAM will disagree with you.

Diminishing returns, all that. This is the song that never ends.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Add to OP, please:

You EUs are getting the best possible bundle.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Oh my god, why didn't North America get that?! I would have gladly paid more for that! drat it, Japan gets Monster Hunter and Europe gets ZombiU. What does North America get?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Policenaut posted:

Oh my god, why didn't North America get that?! I would have gladly paid more for that! drat it, Japan gets Monster Hunter and Europe gets ZombiU. What does North America get?

First dibs.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Policenaut posted:

Senran Kagura U.

Jumbled_Johnsons
Jul 2, 2011

by T. Finninho

TaurusOxford posted:

Or you haven't realized that Wii U couldn't have been done 6 years ago unless it cost some thousands of dollars?
Look at its' size, power usage, very modern GPU, the fact that it renders to two screens, one of which is on a wireless controller displaying with very low latency...or you mean that since the 360 launched in 2005, then the Wii U would have had to be considered 'next-gen' six years ago, in 2006...in which case, of course, you're correct in a way.

Unless, of course, the Wii hadn't existed and the Wii U had, in 2006, which would have put it in the same generation of consoles as the PS3 and the 360...

So which is it? Or are you just being negative and obtuse concerning what the Wii U does bring to the table, while ignoring the fact that it is the successor to the Wii, thereby making it 'next-gen' regardless?

Like others have said, I'm pretty glad that Nintendo is not just following the more power path, why would we need 4 platforms all playing the same games with similar control options?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

TaurusOxford still hasn't realized Sword & Shield is superior to Switch Axe so I wouldn't worry too much about this.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Chronojam posted:

TaurusOxford still hasn't realized Sword & Shield is superior to Switch Axe so I wouldn't worry too much about this.

Don't worry. I'll beat the monsters for you while you hide behind your shield in fear. :smugbert:

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Which reminds me, one of my never-a-Wii coworkers is thinking about picking up a WiiU because of the new Monster Hunter release. Nintendo really needs to cling to that brand, and Capcom really needs to stop beating around the bush with English releases.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
Speaking of English releases, I really hope Monolith's Wii U title goes with a British voice cast like Xenoblade.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Chaltab posted:

Speaking of English releases, I really hope Monolith's Wii U title goes with a British voice cast like Xenoblade.

That depends on if NOE bankrolls the localization before NOA gets their hands on it.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother
http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/42908/amazing-tekken-tag-tournament-2-wii-u-trailer-shows-f-zero-and-zelda-costumes/

New Tekken Trailer. Honestly don't know what I'd do if I had the option between bear Mario and Panda Peach.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I hope it's voices by all Germans who learned english as a third language.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

thefncrow posted:

Nintendo's said outright that Wii games, WiiWare, and Wii VC stuff runs inside "Wii Mode", which doesn't allow for things like transferring the TV feed to the gamepad.
So are they discontinuing Virtual Console then? Or are they literally going to have two separate Virtual Console stores (one for Wii one for Wii U)?

Not that it would shock me that Nintendo would want people to rebuy everything. But Nintendo of America considers that kind of effort poisonous to them. If the way the eShop has been updated is any indication, the Wii U VC will end up only having 20 titles by the time the next Wii is released. They're loving lazy as poo poo.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Oct 12, 2012

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

Quest For Glory II posted:

So are they discontinuing Virtual Console then? Or are they literally going to have two separate Virtual Console stores (one for Wii one for Wii U)?

Not that it would shock me that Nintendo would want people to rebuy everything. But Nintendo of America considers that kind of effort poisonous to them. If the way the eShop has been updated is any indication, the Wii U VC will end up only having 20 titles by the time the next Wii is released. They're loving lazy as poo poo.

From the sound of it, they're going to have Wii VC titles and WiiU VC titles. I believe they've made comments about using the gamepad screen to play VC titles, and they've said up front that it's not possible for Wii VC titles.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Yeah the Wii VC didn't exactly have a huge library, but it also had pretty much every best-seller on the systems it offered.

There's no reason to buy the licenses and get it to work on the Wii's emulator etc. for obscure games when anyone who wants those has likely acquired them through other means.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

All I'm saying is they'd better uh do a better job with Wii U VC than they've done with 3DS VC, because. Yikes.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Another reason why they'd use a new set of Virtual Console emulators would be to get rid of the 40 MB limit of downloadable Wii games. That prevents them from selling the largest Nintendo 64 games (Conker's Bad Fur Day, etc), PC-Engine CD games or a lot of the Neo-Geo library.

On the subject of incompatible controllers, it's ridiculous that the WiiU can't interpret inputs from the GamePad or Pro controller for Wii software. Unlike Gamecube support, which required controllers and memory cards to be physically inserted into the ports, the Wii and WiiU controllers all use bluetooth. At the very least they could get the Pro controller to emulate a Classic controller, so I won't need to keep all these obsolete controllers around.

I don't need to plug in an old Dualshock 2 controller to play PS1/PS2 games on a PS3, I can just use the new wireless controller. I can even create virtual memory cards on the hard drive. Backwards compatibility should be one of Nintendo's biggest selling points, but they put the minimum amount of effort into it every time. Why do the Wii and 3DS have separate Virtual Console catalogues? Why does the button mapping of the Gamecube controller in SNES games match up to the button names (A, B, X, Y) rather than their locations? Why does the European store still have the horrible PAL conversions, when everyone now has a TV that supports NTSC?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Neo Rasa posted:

Many 360/PS3 games actually upscale to 720p, let alone 1080p. Call of Duty's games since COD3 for example are actually rendered at 1024x600 - even if the WiiU version of Bops2 is just 720p it will already be quite a bit higher res than the 360/PS3 versions.

• Locked thread