Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Skip the regular Four Roses and go with the small batch. Or Single Barrel, if you can find it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

MrOnBicycle posted:

Wow, I looked up Rittenhouse and it seem like it gets very good reviews everywhere and is cheap. Seems awesome.
I appreciate your offer, but I'm afraid that even through a package marked as a gift I'll be stuck with excise + VAT if the customs get hold of it. I think the cheapest way to get it would be to wait until (whenever that is) I go to the UK and visit. A bottle there is £30.

Edit:

Ah, that's interesting. I might give a bourbon a shot as well then. Thanks!
Of the goon recommended in the OP I can get Four Roses Bourbon and Four Roses Small Batch. So there's a start. Not that expensive (relative to where I'm from). Wild Turkey 81 proof is also available at a slightly higher price ($45).

Jesus man those prices are nuts.

Knucklebear
Apr 19, 2005
Just got a bottle of Kilchoman Machir Bay and wow, is it good.

This is my first taste of any Kilchoman whisky and I wasn't sure what to expect. What I got was a well balanced peated whisky with some great fruit and sweetness. It reminds me a lot of Ardbeg Uigeadail, not surprising because they're both heavily peated and finished in sherry casks.

Definitely worth the $55 I paid and would happily do so again. Like I said, very similar to Uigeadail but about $20 cheaper.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
im in ur base killin ur mans

Knucklebear posted:

Just got a bottle of Kilchoman Machir Bay and wow, is it good.

This is my first taste of any Kilchoman whisky and I wasn't sure what to expect. What I got was a well balanced peated whisky with some great fruit and sweetness. It reminds me a lot of Ardbeg Uigeadail, not surprising because they're both heavily peated and finished in sherry casks.

Definitely worth the $55 I paid and would happily do so again. Like I said, very similar to Uigeadail but about $20 cheaper.

Lucky you. The Binny's by me doesn't carry it, so if I want it I'll have to get it special order. I've heard a lot of good things about it, and for $50, that's super reasonable. I'm honestly surprised its gotten such overwhelming praise considering its realatively young age (about 5 years, I think?). I guess age isn't everything!

Knucklebear
Apr 19, 2005

NightConqueror posted:

I'm honestly surprised its gotten such overwhelming praise considering its realatively young age (about 5 years, I think?). I guess age isn't everything!

I forget where I read it but I think that the Kilchoman I got was a blend of 6 year, 5 year and 4 year whisky (some finished in sherry casks).

Looks to me like they're doing the Ardbeg thing where they don't advertise age and blend different whisky's to get what they want. I'm totally ok with this as long as the final product tastes great.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Knucklebear posted:

Looks to me like they're doing the Ardbeg thing where they don't advertise age and blend different whisky's to get what they want. I'm totally ok with this as long as the final product tastes great.
They simply do not have any whisky older than 6.5 years. Since they are a relatively unknown distillery, supply issues should not be a problem and a labeled 10-year-old bottling should become part of the core range by 2016.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
Just got this in my email today. Has anyone tried the three wood? I've heard mixed things about it.

quote:

We heard you loud and clear. I’m pleased to announce that, due to overwhelming requests, Laphroaig® Triple Wood Scotch Whisky will once again be available stateside, just in time for autumn. What better time to enjoy this unique sherry-finished whisky?

If you’re not familiar with Triple Wood, allow me to wax poetic about what makes it so special. It all comes down to how the liquid is matured. As complex as the flavour is, the idea is actually quite simple. Triple Wood is matured three times in three different casks, each imparting their own character into the spirit.

It all starts with our classic ex-bourbon casks. From there a range of aged spirit is transferred into smaller quarter casks. And finally, the spirit spends some time in the larger, Oloroso sherry casks. All this creates a taste that’s wholly unique and yet unmistakably, all Laphroaig® . It’s the perfect marriage of peat, oak and sherry.

Nose:
With a gentle mixture of raisins and creamy apricots, the initial flavour is rather sweet. At the back, a trace of dry peat smoke mingles with smoother nutty flavours for a nice syrupy whole. A touch of water will mask the fruiter notes bringing the peat smoke forward.

Palate:
The initial burst of peat is gentled on the tongue by creamier vanilla and fruit flavours with just a hint of sherry sweetness. Add a bit of water to calm the peat reek and allow the more complex citrus and spice flavours to come through.

Finish:
Extremely long and mouth-filling while nicely balanced by a sweet, smooth caramel taste.

Remember friends, Laphroaig® Triple Wood is a limited expression that’s only here once a year so be on the lookout for a bottle this holiday season. It makes the perfect gift for the single malt lover. And it never hurts to get yourself a little something every now and then.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
I've had it. I prefer Laphroaig 18; the triplewood is just too... woody :v: and it detracts from all the things I like about Laphroaig to begin with. If you're a fan of Laphroaig, though, it's probably worth a taste.

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

Ma wife bought me a celebration bottle of Old Pulteney 21 y.o. and my opinion is this liquor taste good as hell

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Mr. Glass posted:

I've had it. I prefer Laphroaig 18; the triplewood is just too... woody :v: and it detracts from all the things I like about Laphroaig to begin with. If you're a fan of Laphroaig, though, it's probably worth a taste.
If you are a fan of the Quarter Cask, then you might like the Three Wood. I actually prefer the woody character so the Three Wood loses a point or two for me by masking those flavors with sherry. There really aren't too many sherry finished peat whiskies I like. Lagavulin 16 and Ardbeg Uigedail only use a miniscule amount of sherry casks in their vattings... There are some independent Bowmores that are OK, but none that I like more than Laphroaig QC or 18yr.

There are of course some interesting ACE'd whiskies like the Caol Ila Distiller's Edition (my favorite DE), but I've yet to find an amazing full-on sherry bomb OB Islay.

Mr. Tibbs
Aug 4, 2012

They call me Mister Tibbs!
Just got back from a trip to Edinburgh where I tried many a whisky and did the Glengoyne distillery tour. For the previous posters wondering about tours, Glengoyne has an absolutely beautiful distillery and the whisky is alright. I'd recommend it if you care more about scenery than having the best whisky.

kidsafe posted:

If you are a fan of the Quarter Cask, then you might like the Three Wood. I actually prefer the woody character so the Three Wood loses a point or two for me by masking those flavors with sherry. There really aren't too many sherry finished peat whiskies I like. Lagavulin 16 and Ardbeg Uigedail only use a miniscule amount of sherry casks in their vattings...

Have you tried the Laguvulin PX Distiller's Edition? It is aged in Pedro Ximenez sherry casks and has a much sweeter sherry taste than the 16. However, I found it was balanced so well by the smokiness and intense richness that the sweet sherry notes worked really well. Laguvulin 16 used to be my favorite whisky until I tried the DE. I bought a bottle of it for my brother.

As for the discussion about Kilchoman, I was a little underwhelmed. One of the shopkeepers I was talking to was convinced that it will be the next big whisky, assuming it ages well. I found it a little uninteresting, but I'd certainly be willing to give it another try at some point.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003
Just a heads up because I'm sure the bourbon heads will be on the look out. Van Winkle is back in late October this year.

• $39.99 – Old Rip Van Winkle Handmade Bourbon 10 Year Old 107 proof
  • $54.99 – Van Winkle Special Reserve Bourbon 12 Year Old
  • $69.99 – Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye Whiskey 13 Year Old
  • $79.99 – Pappy Van Winkle’s Family Reserve Bourbon 15 Year Old
  • $129.99 – Pappy Van Winkle’s Family Reserve Bourbon 20 Year Old
  • $249.99 – Pappy Van Winkle’s Family Reserve Bourbon 23 Year Old

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Tigren posted:

Just a heads up because I'm sure the bourbon heads will be on the look out. Van Winkle is back in late October this year.

• $39.99 – Old Rip Van Winkle Handmade Bourbon 10 Year Old 107 proof
  • $54.99 – Van Winkle Special Reserve Bourbon 12 Year Old
  • $69.99 – Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye Whiskey 13 Year Old
  • $79.99 – Pappy Van Winkle’s Family Reserve Bourbon 15 Year Old
  • $129.99 – Pappy Van Winkle’s Family Reserve Bourbon 20 Year Old
  • $249.99 – Pappy Van Winkle’s Family Reserve Bourbon 23 Year Old

Thanks, I hope I can grab a bottle of the Old Rip and the 12 year.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Mr. Tibbs posted:

Have you tried the Laguvulin PX Distiller's Edition? It is aged in Pedro Ximenez sherry casks and has a much sweeter sherry taste than the 16. However, I found it was balanced so well by the smokiness and intense richness that the sweet sherry notes worked really well. Laguvulin 16 used to be my favorite whisky until I tried the DE. I bought a bottle of it for my brother.

As for the discussion about Kilchoman, I was a little underwhelmed. One of the shopkeepers I was talking to was convinced that it will be the next big whisky, assuming it ages well. I found it a little uninteresting, but I'd certainly be willing to give it another try at some point.

I have a bottle of Lagavulin DE and it's very tough for me to make out significant differences from that and the normal 16-year-old. In stark contrast, Caol Ila DE and Talisker DE are complemented quite well by their wine finishes. That's saying a lot since I am not really a fan of Talisker 10-year-old.

Kilchoman is quite good for how young it is. I've had a ton of young single malts lately and they don't hold up to the 10+ year-old stuff. Kilchoman comes very close, as does Laphroaig Quarter Cask. Stuff like Bunnahabhain Toiteach would be an example of an exceedingly poor NAS Islay.

Sound Mr. Brown
Feb 21, 2005

The love of learning, the sequestered nooks,
And all the sweet serenity of books.
Apologies if this has been posted before! I just came across it and am loving it: Brian Cox pronounces 40 Scotches.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006

Tigren posted:

Any idea when we'll be seeing Buffalo Trace's Antique Collection again? I really want to get a bottle of George T. Stagg sometime, but it's basically impossible to find.

EDIT: I'm a retard, I guess it was released in September. Guess I just need to look harder.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

NightConqueror posted:

Any idea when we'll be seeing Buffalo Trace's Antique Collection again? I really want to get a bottle of George T. Stagg sometime, but it's basically impossible to find.

EDIT: I'm a retard, I guess it was released in September. Guess I just need to look harder.
George T. Stagg may have been released on paper, but I don't think it has actually made its way through the typical channels yet. It will however be just as rare, if not moreso than the Van Winkle stuff, so keep an eye out.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Do you guys have any idea why a bottle of Laphroig 10 is going for $50 right now (BevMo, California)? I bought one around this time last year for like $35. That seems like a crazy jump in price.

I wanted some peat :(

Jahoodie
Jun 27, 2005
Wooo.... college!

NightConqueror posted:

Doesn't the Antique collection usually not hit stores until the holidays time frame?

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Jahoodie posted:

Doesn't the Antique collection usually not hit stores until the holidays time frame?

Ya, they usually drop in October-ish, just announced around now.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Kenning posted:

Do you guys have any idea why a bottle of Laphroig 10 is going for $50 right now (BevMo, California)? I bought one around this time last year for like $35. That seems like a crazy jump in price.

Because BevMo is such a large mover of booze, their price adjustments can be glacial. I'm guessing their distributor temporarily raised prices around $10 briefly due to supply issues right when they made their last bulk order for Laphroaig.

It's still $38 at K&L, a specialty shop with locations in the SFBA and LA.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Oct 13, 2012

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006

Kenning posted:

Get Black Bottle (~$15) if you want peat cheap. $50 bucks for Laphroaig 10 is a rip-off though. Ardbeg goes for almost that much here in Illinois.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

kidsafe posted:

It's still $38 at K&L, a specialty shop with locations in the SFBA and LA.

"specialty store" viz. not a literal hole in the world with a bit of liquor in.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

NightConqueror posted:

Get Black Bottle (~$15) if you want peat cheap. $50 bucks for Laphroaig 10 is a rip-off though. Ardbeg goes for almost that much here in Illinois.

A fifth of Black Bottle is running $30 at BevMo right now, which is also retarded. And yeah, I'm not about to buy either of those at those prices. They must have had some weird distributor voodoo kick in. Maybe when CostCo gets their Christmas whisk(e)y stocks in I'll get something cheaper there. In the mean time I got some Old Pulteney, which is a pretty tasty malt.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Picked up two bottles of Green Label today on sale. One I've just opened and am drinking now, sad this stuff will be discontinued as it's arguably the best of the JW series.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006

spankmeister posted:

Picked up two bottles of Green Label today on sale. One I've just opened and am drinking now, sad this stuff will be discontinued as it's arguably the best of the JW series.

It boggles my mind why they want to dump Green Label. I'll definitely agree with you that its probably their best (I haven't tried Blue) and the price is reasonable enough to make it buy. I'm guessing the upward trend on single malts is making them want to stop doing all-malt vattings.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

NightConqueror posted:

It boggles my mind why they want to dump Green Label. I'll definitely agree with you that its probably their best (I haven't tried Blue) and the price is reasonable enough to make it buy. I'm guessing the upward trend on single malts is making them want to stop doing all-malt vattings.

Blue isn't bad, it's just bad at its price point. In particular, it's not better than Green which is a fraction of the price.

But I think that's probably it too. It's still at a price point where most people shopping today will go right to the single malt rack without looking its way.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I think it's a cost thing mainly. The general public doesn't know what a pure/blended/vatted malt is, they just think it's the third up in the line.

For JW to have to use all-malt and all of those malts at least 15YO would increase production cost significantly over the blends that have grain whisky in them and have no age statement.

With the retirement of the green line, and the replacement of the gold label (18YO) with the gold label reserve (no age statement) it's clear that they want to cut costs. Granted the new gold will cost less than the old one but still...

Hell Blue doesn't have an age statement, they can put 3YO Invergordon in there and still be able to legally sell it. (I don't imagine they do, but still)

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!
I have a friend whose birthday is coming up, and I'd like to get him a bottle of Scotch.

His go-to is Glenlivet, I was wondering if anyone had some recommendations of a similar type of Scotch which I would be able to get him that he would be able to appreciate equally.

I could always just get him a bottle of Glenlivet, but I'd like to expand his horizons a bit. I'd like to stay around or under $70, and I live in OH.

I'm sorry if this question has been asked before, I tried to look around a little bit for an answer to this question, but it seems like I'll get the best answer if I ask myself!

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006

Kudosx posted:

I have a friend whose birthday is coming up, and I'd like to get him a bottle of Scotch.

Glenmorangie Original is about $40 and has a lot of the similar flavors of Glenlivet: slightly citrusy, green apple notes, a clean mild finish. It's a little more interesting than Glenlivet but still mild enough for a person who likes Speyside whisky.

You could also try Glenfiddich 15 Solera Reserve, but I haven't tried it. I've heard good things though. Maybe some of the other guys here can be more creative than me.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Green Label was pretty much not selling at all anywhere outside Taiwan. It had no sales presence at all in Europe and only slightly better popularity in the rest of Asia and the US. It's definitely one of my favorite scotches of any sort and it smells so good it could almost be used as a cologne. Anyone with a bottle should try rubbing a couple of drops between their palms... Smells like cedar or sandal wood, dried fruits, etc.

Sound Mr. Brown
Feb 21, 2005

The love of learning, the sequestered nooks,
And all the sweet serenity of books.

NightConqueror posted:

You could also try Glenfiddich 15 Solera Reserve, but I haven't tried it. I've heard good things though. Maybe some of the other guys here can be more creative than me.

Solera Reserve is outstanding! Notes of honey, amber, other sweet, warm things. I can't compare it directly to Glenlivet, but it is definitely milder than the peat-bombs I usually go for. A great bottle.

Jahoodie
Jun 27, 2005
Wooo.... college!
I owe a friend a bottle, and he's on a kick of trying to recreate Irish Coffees he had in Italy. He's using a double shot of espresso plus whiskey.

Normally I'd go with Jameson for the sweetness, but I was thinking of going with Redbreast 12 as I'm trying to get him into better whiskey. I'm not a fan of Irish Coffee, so I don't know if that's a poor idea.

Bolocko
Oct 19, 2007

Was looking to try another cheap whiskey to add to Wild Turkey as an inexpensive stand-by favorite, and as I was reaching for some Evan Williams Single Barrel I noticed there was a bottle of Elmer T. Lee in the back.

It was a good choice, and now I wish only more stores in my area would stock this. An excellent counterexample to offer anyone arguing that price and quality whiskey share a direct relationship.

Bolocko fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Oct 16, 2012

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

we respect the antelope; for the antelope is not a mere antelope

NightConqueror posted:

Glenmorangie Original is about $40 and has a lot of the similar flavors of Glenlivet: slightly citrusy, green apple notes, a clean mild finish. It's a little more interesting than Glenlivet but still mild enough for a person who likes Speyside whisky.

The Glenfiddich 15 is, nosed and tasted next to any other quality scotch, a rather bland and boring experience. It's not bad or undrinkable, just completely lacking of character, which I assume to be an effect of the vatting process. For something in the same vein but with actual taste and no overpowering smoke or tarriness, Bowmore would most likely serve much better.

Deleuzionist fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Oct 16, 2012

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!
I really appreciate all the suggestions so far! I'll keep you all updated on what I end up picking up, I'm going to go buy him a bottle on Thursday when I get paid.

logical fallacy
Mar 16, 2001

Dynamic Symmetry
I'd go with Highland Park 12 or Talisker 10, or you could just buy him a Glenlivet 15 yr. I actually preferred the 15 to their 18yr, though it's been a long time since I've tried either. But the HP or Talisker should be similar enough in style, but much more interesting Scotches, especially for their price point (HP 12yr ~$35, Talisker ~$40, at least around Minneapolis).

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Talisker is quite peppery compared to Glenlivet, it's a good intro to the more flavorful whiskies but HP might be a better stepping stone.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Jahoodie posted:

I owe a friend a bottle, and he's on a kick of trying to recreate Irish Coffees he had in Italy. He's using a double shot of espresso plus whiskey.

Normally I'd go with Jameson for the sweetness, but I was thinking of going with Redbreast 12 as I'm trying to get him into better whiskey. I'm not a fan of Irish Coffee, so I don't know if that's a poor idea.

If he's going to just be making Irish Coffees don't bother with Redbreast. Redbreast is a fine sipping whiskey. Jameson is a perfectly good middling Irish, and is probably the most common pour for Irish Coffee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006
I recently splurged on some Pig's Nose and was wondering what would be a good food match with it. I'm not a whisky drinker, but when I've had it in the past I've had Japanese whiskies with Japanese food, but I can't just having whisky only with Japanese food.