Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

grover posted:

Little duct tape'll fix that!

Actually, I wonder how long a duct tape repair would last?

Maybe until the engine got up to operating temp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I doubt it would even hold the oil in the pan once you fill it.

Looks like we have an opportunity to find out though :v:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

grover posted:

I don't know, but I over traveled the front axle of my 97 Land Cruiser into the oil pan by catching the lip of a dirt berm wrong at 40-50mph and cracked the oil pan. JB Welded it back together and it held for the next two or three years I had the truck.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Godholio posted:

Maybe until the engine got up to operating temp.
If Mythbusters has taught me one thing, it's to never underestimate the power of duct tape!

Edit: This may be more of a "stupid poo poo" photo, but I think it fits here, too:

quote:

The submitter wrote: “customer states: check for oil leak… and this truck is owned by a company that cleans up chemical spills from car accidents!”

grover fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Oct 12, 2012

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Well, the glue melts at a fairly low temperature, which is one reason duct tape is pretty lousy for actual HVAC ducts. I can't imagine it'll hold onto an oil pan for very long.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

grover posted:

I believe the oil eats the sticky residue so combined with operating temperatures and the oil making it not sticky I would guess not very long

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Reminds me of this article on Jalopnik recently where the writer patched it with jb weld (magic stuff) and permatex. Sounds like the jb weld just slowed down the oil contamination though and he ended up just permatexing around it.

http://jalopnik.com/5935258/the-super-hacky-oil-pan-emergency-repair-fix

Some guy in the comments used a wax crayon to slow down the contamination enough to jb weld it.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Oct 12, 2012

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!
This was in the gif thread.

I don't think it counts as leaching to steal it from there right?

Edit: just noticed the honda logo bouncing off the roof

tobu fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Oct 12, 2012

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

tobu posted:

I don't think it counts as leaching to steal it from there right?

No, it's on Minus which is a large image site. So it's not leeching.

Also: Knockoff airbags are loving scary.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Reminds me of this article on Jalopnik recently where the writer patched it with jb weld (magic stuff) and permatex. Sounds like the jb weld just slowed down the oil contamination though and he ended up just permatexing around it.

Some guy in the comments used a wax crayon to slow down the contamination enough to jb weld it.

It could work actually, both are "greasy" substances and could repulse each other until there's enough oil buildup.

That's actually pretty freakin brilliant.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?

How much of a horrible idea would it be to flux core MIG weld a piece of patch metal in place without taking the pan off? (proper metals and proper wire, nothing like a piece of a tin can onto an aluminum pan with mild steel wire with a DC welder)

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Fire Storm posted:

How much of a horrible idea would it be to flux core MIG weld a piece of patch metal in place without taking the pan off? (proper metals and proper wire, nothing like a piece of a tin can onto an aluminum pan with mild steel wire with a DC welder)

Oil pans are so saturated with oil, they absolutely suck to weld. It's drat near impossible to get the oil out of the metal. If you do it without cleaning out the inside of the pan (because it's still on the engine), as you weld it'll suck oil into the bead making for a terrible weld that will leak.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Loose cam chain you say?

Tis but a scratch!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

What the gently caress happened here :stare:

Jeece posted:

Not horrible but it happened to me, and it sucked:

The one time I did that, it wasn't with a rock. It was with a connecting rod (and park of the crank) :v:

Apparently water doesn't compress. Who knew? :downs:

the_worm_ posted:

The diff in this STI six speed wanted to be set free. (young driver, didn't understand clutch drops with wide sticky tires)

At first I thought "that's a really cool cutaway". Then I noticed the broken teeth.

So how many clutch drops does it take to do that?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

some texas redneck posted:

What the gently caress happened here :stare:
Counterfeit Chinese airbags.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Well that's nice to know, especially since my car's previous owner played a bit of bumper cars before I got it. :v:

.. and it's on the list, of course. :suicide:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Just don't hit anything, or get hit.

Pretend you live in China and the airbag will kill you anyway.

Seriously though I can't really see a shop skimping on the airbag of all things. They're expensive, but so are lawsuits, so if anything they'd buy a stolen one.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

The dashcam videos I've seen from China terrify me. I'll pass.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Just don't hit anything, or get hit.

Pretend you live in China and the airbag will kill you anyway.

Seriously though I can't really see a shop skimping on the airbag of all things. They're expensive, but so are lawsuits, so if anything they'd buy a stolen one.
My guess is that the middleman made all the money. They sold them for drat near retail, if not retail to bodyshops. Apparently on the outside, they're all OEM, so even a bodyshop might not be able to tell.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Fire Storm posted:

The only time I would even entertain the idea of doing this would be a situation where it was otherwise impossible to recover the vehicle but you could somehow get a portable welder close enough to make the fix. And even then it would just be a band-aid fix until you could get the vehicle into a garage and replace the pan.

Well that's nice to know, especially since my car's previous owner played a bit of bumper cars before I got it. :v:

.. and it's on the list, of course. :suicide:

Are you sure the airbag has been replaced in the past three years?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I have no idea if it's ever been replaced. I just know I've owned it for less than 3 years, and it has a very questionable history prior to my running across it. It's certainly been in a couple of small mishaps.

I was being a bit sarcastic with the "welp disconnect airbags!" line, however.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I could go for airbags that shoot confetti and glitter. Fireworks, not so much.

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012

Goober Peas posted:

I could go for airbags that shoot confetti and glitter. Fireworks, not so much.

SURPRISE!! YOU TORE YOUR AORTA!!! :dance: :stoke: :nyan: :biotruths: :rory:

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

I'm surprised injury lawyers haven't started putting ads on the airbag itself. Talk about a targeted audience!

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

I have no idea if it's ever been replaced. I just know I've owned it for less than 3 years, and it has a very questionable history prior to my running across it. It's certainly been in a couple of small mishaps.

Still waiting for you to drive it for a stretch long enough to have a mishap.. like, out of the car park? :w00t:

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
Someone was kind enough to leave the entire tread of a Semi truck tire in the middle of the left lane on I-10 in a spot where I have concrete on one side and a SUV on the other. Of course I end up running over the goddamned thing at about 85 MPH, resulting in having to buy a $120 housing and a new bulb, because gently caress me that's why.

I'm still pissed about it. I guess I should be thankful that I didn't lose one of those thousand dollar HID headlamps.. but gently caress truckers and their hosed up retreaded tires that fail all over the place.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
It's not just retreads that separate. Any tire that's not correctly inflated and overloaded will.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Yeah consider yourself lucky you only have to change a light bulb...

I had one of those bastards explode rubber and steel all over my car, smashing the windshield and A-pillar, ruining the hood, roof and fenders.

Also my seat turned brown too. :(

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
I don't even bother dodging them in my Jeep any more. It's certainly safer, for me. gently caress tailgaters, though.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009
Yeah, I got a substantial part of a truck tire flung at me on the freeway. I slowed down enough that it didn't smash my windshield, but I had no choice but to run over it. Smashed up the bumper pretty fiercely, and cracked the radiator.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Also, those headlights aren't HIDs.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!

Krakkles posted:

Also, those headlights aren't HIDs.

Actually, they are.

e: the low beams, not the highs 2003 linc LS8 luxury sport

Farking Bastage fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Oct 14, 2012

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Oh boy :allears:

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...
How about a near Horrible Failure? My neighbor came over to talk to me this morning while I was working in the garage. While standing in the driveway chatting with him about how I sold my Defender, I noticed my Range Rover Classic had some weird crazy camber going on the passenger front wheel.

On closer inspection.

Holy poo poo! I was driving this down the freeway at 80MPH just last night. I have no idea how those bolts backed out. I've never had them out in the 4 years I've had the truck. Pulled them all and Loctited them back in. Good as new. I'm still scratching my head on that one. I heard no strange bangs or clunks. I did notice some tire squealing in the garage at work the day before but thought it was because I was in a hurry.

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer

Came that way apparently, reflector HIDs, who knew?

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Kill-9 posted:

How about a near Horrible Failure? My neighbor came over to talk to me this morning while I was working in the garage. While standing in the driveway chatting with him about how I sold my Defender, I noticed my Range Rover Classic had some weird crazy camber going on the passenger front wheel.

On closer inspection.

Holy poo poo! I was driving this down the freeway at 80MPH just last night. I have no idea how those bolts backed out. I've never had them out in the 4 years I've had the truck. Pulled them all and Loctited them back in. Good as new. I'm still scratching my head on that one. I heard no strange bangs or clunks. I did notice some tire squealing in the garage at work the day before but thought it was because I was in a hurry.

I have never ever seen a spindle like that, is that a Range Rover thing or is that common to a lot of heavy duty 4x4 front ends?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

the poi posted:

Nothing surprising about this, particularly on cars that offered an HID option with a halogen base model.

Toyota took the same approach with the Prius before ditching HIDs for LEDs.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

the poi posted:

Lincoln did the first USDM HID in the 1996 MKVIII LSC. It was a reflector. Lots of early HIDs were reflectors.
There's nothing wrong with it as long as it is designed for it. A 1992 Honda Civic halogen headlight is not. The Lincoln is.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Beach Bum posted:

I have never ever seen a spindle like that, is that a Range Rover thing or is that common to a lot of heavy duty 4x4 front ends?

Go look at a few 4x4 tractors. ancient live axle Toyotas employ the same axle design.

I was at a fuel island at a truck stop several years ago when a driver ran a trailer into a concrete pilar and blew a tire, I was 10 feet from the explosion. My left ear still does not work right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...

cursedshitbox posted:

Go look at a few 4x4 tractors. ancient live axle Toyotas employ the same axle design.

Still used to this day on Defenders. Not fancy but can take a beating.