Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

ComradeCosmobot posted:

What the hell is Pb & J? Please clue me into this stupid shipping lingo.

If you have to ask, you're safe. Don't descend into the darkness, man.

Tavro's agression is weird to read. It's like, he WANTS to be angry and assertive and make John back off, but his entire manner is counterporductive to that. The long scentences, the explainations, the roundabout metaphors... He's a lot better than he used to be (although, like people have pointed out, he might be copying Vriska's illusion of confidence), but his entire personality is basically stopping him being a 100% grade A rear end in a top hat. If only he'd tried being calm and polite to John! Then again, John might not be in the mood to listen.

Adding Vriska to this mix can only be amazingly awkward and hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jorenko
Jun 6, 2004

I think you're just mad 'cause you're single.

ComradeCosmobot posted:

It's true. (I have no earthly idea how someone could come to a Tavros/Gamzee ship considering that I don't think they've ever even been in the same panel, but then again, shippers are weird.)

Maybe it was the time when Gamzee came onto Tavros? It was pretty unsubtle.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
As if John isn't going to wake up right before or right after she gets there.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

Jorenko posted:

That chat is actually where the name comes from, though I don't doubt someone was using it beforehand.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Jorenko posted:

It must not have been a big deal in the long run, because I have forgotten that such a thing happened. Ah, to be blissfully unaware of the shipping universe... :allears:

Robo-Slap
Jun 5, 2011
Judging by how Tavros's personality changed so much, and how the alpha troll's personalities changed practically nil, I willing to bet this is a beta-timeline Tavros. Vriska never made him walk off a cliff, and he never had the thing with playing it safe so much, and he ended up more assertive.

Since we already saw Vriska go on a date with beta-John, it seems fitting that we should see John go on a not-date with beta-Vriska.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Robo-Slap posted:

Judging by how Tavros's personality changed so much, and how the alpha troll's personalities changed practically nil, I willing to bet this is a beta-timeline Tavros. Vriska never made him walk off a cliff, and he never had the thing with playing it safe so much, and he ended up more assertive.

Since we already saw Vriska go on a date with beta-John, it seems fitting that we should see John go on a not-date with beta-Vriska.

Except it's pretty obvious that this the same Tavros that talked with Vriska earlier. And both were part of Tavrisprite, who were made with the bodies of their dead alpha timeline bodies.

I mean it's possible but really unlikely.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Robo-Slap posted:

I don't see why that would be the case. We know that alpha Tavros and alpha Vriska were in the desert before, and we can be fairly confident that alpha Vriska was the one Hussie tried to give the ring to, which would imply that this is indeed alpha Tavros and alpha Vriska.

I mean, it's not like alpha Tavros hasn't had a weirdly placed sense of self-confidence before, and even he admitted that he changed more (and felt more confidence) from having been Tavrisprite than Vriska did the opposite.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
It's fascinating watching all the theories pour out of the woodwork to preserve John hooking up with Vriska. People are really invested.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

WAR FOOT posted:

It's fascinating watching all the theories pour out of the woodwork to preserve John hooking up with Vriska. People are really invested.

Well, to be fair, we only have Tavros's word that she's a matesprit. And it's not like Tavros is exactly an unbiased observer in the issue.

But yeah, John's gotta keep spiraling into Karkat-like hate, and the best way to do that is to make Tavros/Vriska a thing. Or at least to make it look like one. I'm not sure what the point of this aside would be if it wasn't.

EDIT: I mean, he's already felt pretty impotent about how things are going with the whole Davesprite/Jade thing, the Bec Noir thing was inconclusive at best, and of course a "even the girl who I may have had a secret candle for has, just as I suspected, forgotten me" would be the icing on the "I can't do poo poo and am completely rudderless" cake that is John's teenager experience.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Oct 13, 2012

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

ComradeCosmobot posted:

But yeah, John's gotta keep spiraling into Karkat-like hate, and the best way to do that is to make Tavros/Vriska a thing. Or at least to make it look like one. I'm not sure what the point of this aside would be if it wasn't.
An opportunity to have Vriska make the face in Warfoots avatar. That's a pretty good excuse.

Realtalk tho, there's a kinda grody tone to a lot of Vriska and Tavros's relationship. I'm not entirely sure how to feel about stuff at the moment.

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

I just want to say I'm constantly thankful this thread exists. It's quite literally the only place on the internet for rational semi-mature discussion of the comic. The recent explosion of unbridled insanity in tumblr due to this update just got me thinking. So thanks you guys.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Weird request, I know, but can anyone help me out? Does anyone have the picture with every troll labeled as "Vriska?" from John's point of view? I feel its especially poignant now.

Robo-Slap
Jun 5, 2011

ComradeCosmobot posted:

I don't see why that would be the case. We know that alpha Tavros and alpha Vriska were in the desert before, and we can be fairly confident that alpha Vriska was the one Hussie tried to give the ring to, which would imply that this is indeed alpha Tavros and alpha Vriska.

I mean, it's not like alpha Tavros hasn't had a weirdly placed sense of self-confidence before, and even he admitted that he changed more (and felt more confidence) from having been Tavrisprite than Vriska did the opposite.

I forgot that Vriska had Hussie's ring. It would require a dumb set of coincidences for it to wind up with a beta-Vriska somehow.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm literally crying IRL about my fictional candy corn alien romance.

Indie Rocktopus
Feb 20, 2012

In the aeroplane
over the sea

Jorenko posted:

For my money, this is one of the most amusing/horrifying images in the entire comic:

The conversation leading up to it is also gold.

Dr Strangepants
Nov 26, 2003

Mein Führer! I can dance!

Someone on tumblr pointed this out. A little bit of a stretch but Nice.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Dr Strangepants posted:

Someone on tumblr pointed this out. A little bit of a stretch but Nice.

With Hussie, there are no coincidences.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

John doesn't even know that Vriska's dead yet.

This is going to be such a trainwreck that I can't watch. And yet I can't look away.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Gonna post this poo poo right now before anything happens. Vriska made John fall asleep so she could make Tavros jealous enough to propose to her.
I am throwing my literal hat into the metaphorical ring of plot guesses here.

senseinobu
Jul 28, 2008

Grapplejack posted:

Gonna post this poo poo right now before anything happens. Vriska made John fall asleep so she could make Tavros jealous enough to propose to her.
I am throwing my literal hat into the metaphorical ring of plot guesses here.
That might work, since it would also explain why Tavros inexplicably fell asleep right in front of the ring.

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

come back here
man i don't even loving care who makes out with who here, i just want to see more of tavros's new spine, he's using it to straight pole vault up the ladder of mspaint characters i dig the dialogue of.

seriously, seeing tavros speak up was not something i expected to see happen anytime soon, much less before the last walkaround introduces his ancestor. but tavros having lines that made me want to hear him keep talking was not something i expected to happen ever.

really digging this update.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Speaking of "spine", I just noticed that his legs are back and working again. Huh.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
To me the more interesting thing is how much of a dick John is being, though given what he just went through it's understandable that he'd be a bit testy. Really hoping the "Karkat and John swap personalities by the time they meet" more or less pans out.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
John's always been this testy when dealing with the trolls when he's just getting to know them, though!

Edit: I don't think John is really being that much of a jerk compared to how he was. I think most of the built-up frustration evaporated after his encounter with Jack, when he held his own, got to see Rose outside of her throes, and clonked his murderer upside the head with his hammer, putting a hilarious Sassacre Bunny Hat on Jack's head. It's just that kind of dream, and I think John is just rolling with it.

Bell_ fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Oct 13, 2012

Strongylocentrotus
Jan 24, 2007

Nab him, jab him, tab him, grab him - stop that pigeon NOW!
Could it really be? Are we right on the cusp of Vriskatime?!

And yeah, seriously, both Tavros and John have climbed up their jerk echeladders since the last time we saw them. They have decent reasons, at least. John's dealing with a lot of stuff in his life (teen angst and tragedy), and Tavros has spent too much time around Vriska (Vriska).

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

pumpinglemma posted:

John doesn't even know that Vriska's dead yet.

This is going to be such a trainwreck that I can't watch. And yet I can't look away.

Has John ever seen a living troll? He might not know that the white eyes means dead.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Nate RFB posted:

To me the more interesting thing is how much of a dick John is being, though given what he just went through it's understandable that he'd be a bit testy. Really hoping the "Karkat and John swap personalities by the time they meet" more or less pans out.

Look man, if you find a gold ring on the ground and a pathetic troll-like creature demands it back, you just loving take and don't ask questions.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Hey, at the very least, John's willing to give him the ring if it's in the name of love.

It's just that he'll probably change his mind in about, oh, 5 seconds :v:

Mystic Mongol posted:

Has John ever seen a living troll? He might not know that the white eyes means dead.

Well, Tavros just said he was a ghost, so I'm pretty sure he can make a few steps of logic.

senseinobu
Jul 28, 2008

Mystic Mongol posted:

He saw Karkat and the meteor trolls when he looked into Jade to send them the bucket message.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Seoinin posted:

Realtalk tho, there's a kinda grody tone to a lot of Vriska and Tavros's relationship. I'm not entirely sure how to feel about stuff at the moment.

Even if one ignores the somewhat unfortunate implications which could come to mind if one analyzes it, at the very least Vriska and Tavros have been established to pretty much bring out the worst in each other. Enabling and encouraging each other's bad habits, even if they don't mean to. Unless those two really grow up, which they might not be able to do if they hang around each other exclusively, it's not exactly looking like it'd be a healthy relationship.

If it even is one, anyway. So far all we know is that Tavros thinks they're matesprits, and given his flights of whim and goofy, socially awkward imagination, who knows if Vriska thinks this yet. :v: (I'm almost surprised Hussie didn't delay Vriska's verbal evisceration of Tavros after his conversation about killing Jade's grandpa a bit longer, just so he could give Tavros a chance to brag to someone about his new Internet Girlfriend.)

I'll be laughing if tumblr is exploding over nothing, which they're prone to do pretty much religiously.

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

come back here
if john and tavros get into a fight over vriska, i hope it goes pretty much like this.

http://www.mspaintadventures.com/sweetbroandhellajeff/archive/044.jpg

brainSnakes fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Oct 13, 2012

Saradiart
Dec 13, 2009

OPENING MY TAI CHI IS ABOUT AS APPEALING AS THE GOATMAN OPENING HIS ANUS

ComradeCosmobot posted:

It must not have been a big deal in the long run, because I have forgotten that such a thing happened. Ah, to be blissfully unaware of the shipping universe... :allears:

Gamzee literally kisses Tavros's severed head. It was terrifying.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I've F5'd MSPA an embarrassing amount of times in the past few days. You're killing me Huss.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Wrist Watch posted:

I can't wait until all these breaks are done and Hussie gets back to his normal updating schedule. I don't even bother turning on the notifier when I start my computer anymore, I just check to see if the thread is on the first page of my bookmarks with 40+ new posts.

Well poo poo. Time to turn the notifier back on. :stare:

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

This is great and will continue to get great for the foreseeable future. I always figured if Tavros and Vriska were to get together it'd be at the end of their respective development arcs when they'd both finally overcome their respective issues, it's kind of neat to see it now in the midst of their evolution. The next update is gonna be nuts.

Or Tavros'll punch John in the face sending him back to the land of the waking and he'll just have to stew on that for a year.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
I've always figured the best ending between those two kooky kids would be something along the lines of a mutual acknowledgment of "I understand and respect you, I just don't like your rear end very much."

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
I don't think John's being really malicious here, he's not really trying to actually hurt Tavros, he's pranking him. You know, just being kind of silly and trickstery? Honestly I think he's sort of trying to be Tav's friend? Like, pretty much everything he says is either asking Tavros about himself/why he wants the ring, or a light-hearted joke (at one point he even self-depreciates!). John's just trying to get some back and forth going, get to know this crazy knocked out troll, but Tavros is too high strung, at least at the moment for it.

Like this bit

quote:

TAVROS: yOU'RE AN AWFUL HUMAN, bY THE WAY,
JOHN: yeah right, dude. would an awful guy be wearing such a sweet, priceless ring? i don't think so!
TAVROS: oH MY GOD, tHAT'S SUCH BAD LOGIC, tHAT YOU'RE KNOWINGLY USING TO BE A WORSE ENEMY,
JOHN: yeah...
JOHN: you sure did explain that, i guess.

John's joking around, then Tavros kind of... I dunno, and John doesn't know how to react.

Or how quickly he agreed to give it back when he found out what Tavros wanted the ring for. I think he fully intended to give it back the entire time, he was just holding on to it I guess to make Tavros talk to him? Which is pretty understandable, the only people he's had to talk to are Jade, Davesprite and Nannasprite so it makes sense he'd want new friends, and maybe he thinks that if Tavros has no reason to talk to him he'd just leave?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Worth noting that Tavros didn't stutter in that conversation.

And yeah, John is totally going to leave now, whether by choice or Tavros doing something dumb.

Edit: " JOHN: no offense, but you seem like kind of a lame troll."
...I just got the pun :v:

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Oct 13, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

Color Printer posted:

Tavros (PB, peanut butter, brown blood) and Gamzee (J, Jelly, Purple blood).

I hate that I know this, even if it is a tiny bit clever.

I'm not sure why you should be ashamed of remembering lines of dialogue from the comic you came into this thread to discuss!

because, I mean,