Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Further, help the urban exodus out of Wellingford; create a road between Wellingford and Green. If there's sufficient traffic between the two (Live in green, commute to wellingford) make a rail line as well.

Edit: Lets also get a direct line between New Sanctum and Fairport. We don't want to wait for all those piddly little towns on the local train; lets get an express route here!

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Oct 12, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ron Pauls Friend
Jul 3, 2004
Railroad News:

In the east, the Hartshire & Fairport has fallen under the control of a group of New Cork bankers let by barons Jay Mould & James Risk. It's a profitable line but the young Mr. Mould has so far proven to be a cunning individual and utterly ruthless in his business acumen. The NSW and the B&B continue to be profitable with the NSW planning a new bridge across the Fukov and the B&B having healthy traffic shipping metals from the Balkany area to Bridgefield, though the steep grades north of Bridgefield take a heavy toll on equipment and limit speeds. Meanwhile the WN posts little to no profits, serving mostly as a bypass of more congested routes in the region and of course the local niche goods.

The biggest news in the state is not just the long time coming buyout of the NCNS&S by the GNU also the failure of the DB&O and subsequent purchase by the newly formed New Cork, New Sanctum & Hartshire Rail Road or the New Sanctum line for short. (NS) Having lost it two terminal stations, the DB&O was gobbled up for a fire sale price, establishing a dominating presence in the Fukov valley. The NS opens a new HQ in New Sanctum as well as consolidates its shops there. The Salvation owners of the NCNS&S, in a shady legal maneuver, were completely screwed over by the New Cork bankers who financed the merger, giving the NS a permanent lease on the large but underperforming Cove State Railroad north of Salvation. The new line makes amends towards the NDS and tables its plans to connect to Salvation...for now.

In the west, the NDS and its effective subsidiary the K&W, continue their monopoly on westbound traffic. They have been accused of double charging for interchange traffic by their customers, but gently caress them who are they going to complain to, its 1870, NO loving LAWS. The HWFR is a profitable line because of traffic coming in and out of Hartshire to the north. However, the Hartshire-Mutnap line is in desperate need of upgrading and suffers from constant washouts due to its mountainous terrain and poor engineering. The NCL continues its profitable industry of shuffling finished products along the Western coast. Also a new short line has opened, the Black Mountain RR.

Ron Pauls Friend fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Oct 13, 2012

Ron Pauls Friend
Jul 3, 2004

Volmarias posted:

Edit: Lets also get a direct line between New Sanctum and Fairport. We don't want to wait for all those piddly little towns on the local train; lets get an express route here!

Absolutely.

Anybody can suggest branch lines for the New Sanctum Line. It's access to the new Grand Central Depot in New Cork means its funds are ample.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I don't know where it is, but I'm so happy to simply hear my quarry even exists.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

The possibility of new Bridges is what I would focus on. Definitely a rail Bridge at Sanctum as planned but I also think an additional road bridge would not go amiss. A bridge near the first "d" of Middleport would also be an idea.

As Volmarias suggests, I also think the East Hartshire => New Hartshire line could fill a niche.

Looking forward to the result Ron Pauls Friend's shenanigans.

[e] We should probably also improve the last of the Indian roads which still remain in use. The one near Fairbrdgie could help expansion as well.

[e2] I love how our public transport initiatives are aiding urban sprawl. :v:

Munin fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Oct 12, 2012

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Is there a name for this design (besides "pedestrian hazard")?
http://goo.gl/maps/Ij79X

It's basically a sidewalk as a median.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
On the plus side, nobody in their right mind would walk there, so you don't have to worry about that.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Install Gentoo posted:

Is there a name for this design (besides "pedestrian hazard")?
http://goo.gl/maps/Ij79X

It's basically a sidewalk as a median.

I've seen those before. The one I'm thinking of, here in Oklahoma, was replaced with a concrete barrier about ten years ago.

I don't think it's intended as a sidewalk.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Yeah, that's not a sidewalk; that's a not-landscaped median.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

heythisguyhere posted:

Let's build one from that river terminus in Merdian to run a line along the north of Middleport over to where those other lies meet and turn north (or a better place, if there's a better place). Also a road bridge across the BFR at that mid-Middleport interchange. GIMP wasn't playing nice with the .psd so instead please accept this:

Citizens for Urban Management point to this as proof that their model works!
We know. :(

This should help Middleport to expand southward.

FISHMANPET posted:

So other than the bridge connecting New Sanctum to West Sanctum, I'm not sure what else there is to build. There are a handful of city connections that have roads but not rails, but either a direct connection wouldn't save much time, and thus not be worth the money (like Boltic to New Dublin) or there just wouldn't be any demand (Boltic to Chenchester). I don't really see a lot of room for parallel tracks for competition, like there would be on a transcontinental route.

So I'm stumped, hopefully someone with more creativity can find room for profit.

C'mon, this is the Gilded Age! It's time to go nuts - build railroads wherever you please, build depots, build wyes, build spurs... it's certain to be profitable! Here, I'll even quote you a poem by Rudyard Kipling about some bizarro-world version of Nutmeg:

Without a jar, or roll, or antic,
Without a stop to Willimantic,
The New England Limited takes its way
At three o'clock each day,
Maids and Matrons, daintily dimited,
Ride everyday on the New England Limited;
Rain nor snow ne'er stops its flight,
It makes New York at nine each night,
One half the glories have not been told
Of that wonderful train of white and gold
Which leaves each day for New York at three
Over the N.Y. & N.E.

Hedera Helix posted:

The K&W would like to make another deal with the owners of the NDS and the HWFR, in order to connect tracks for a project in the works:

These planned tracks will allow faster and more frequent trips between Salvation-Hartshire, Salvation-Summerfield, and even Salvation-Wincester. It will also give the new quarry up past Hartshire a chance to ship directly to Summerfield, and will give new life to Chenchester now that silk's dried up.

Does this meet with your approval?

Volmarias posted:

East Hartshire's middle class demand quality furniture. There's no sense in shipping it all the way down to Waterbridge, where it will become smelly from chemical residue. No sir, only approved varnishes and stains on my furniture!

Requestiong an extension on my line to try to connect New Hartshire with East Hartshire directly. The existing road may be too steep to reuse, but if we swing to the west just past the mountainous area west of New Hartshire, around where Atmington is, we'll have a much quicker path.

Additionally, Atmington's mechanical exploits will provide plenty of fuel for our burgeoning bourgeois, so we should connect that as well. They'll definitely be an important part of our weapons industry, as devices get better for refining gunpowder and making weapons.

I'd like the following:

We follow the line out of East Hartshire, but once outside of the city there is a wye branching off towards Atmington. 2 miles or so outside of Atmington, we branch again; one line connects directly to Atmington, while another swings north up to New Hartshire.

Additionally, there's no point in going through Waterbridge just to go between Atmington and Farmingham. There looks to be a wee valley between the two; place a rail line between the two cities so that Atmington's trade can be more quickly brought to Farmingham, and Farmingham's weapons industry can provide protection to Atmington against "trouble" :getin:

I have a Halloween party tonight, so I can't do any more at the moment, but rest assured I'll get them done when I get home tomorrow :)

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Alright, caution to the wind!

The families of Oliver have failed in their expiriment with train travel, having the misfortune to be on the wrong side of the river. But a few brave men, pockets still lined with mill money, decide to start a new venture. The New Dublin & Boltic Company would like to build a line from New Dublin to Boltic to Chenchester, following roughly the already improved road.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

We should also build a road to the quarry. A mining/quarry town might then develop which will go to rack and ruin by the end of the century. :v:

But seriously, if it is a working of any size we really should run a road to it.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Now that the narrow-gauge railway has been built to (my pet) quarry we really do need a road too. I'm sure there's a narrow access road next to the railway but a slight upgrade might be in order. Depending on the profits and demand for the quarry's output I'd love to diversify into some logging into the area and expand the company town as needed.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Cichlidae posted:

I have a Halloween party tonight, so I can't do any more at the moment, but rest assured I'll get them done when I get home tomorrow :)

Where's the rest of my line? :gonk:

quote:

Additionally, there's no point in going through Waterbridge just to go between Atmington and Farmingham. There looks to be a wee valley between the two; place a rail line between the two cities

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Does making substantial cuts and fills through hills and valleys work yet in the game? Perhaps some railroads and normal roads could benefit from smoothing out bends that way.

Ron Pauls Friend
Jul 3, 2004
The New Sanctum Lines has two critical upgrades. First is the Bridgefield Cutoff mentioned earlier and multi-tracking the entire line from New Cork to New Sanctum.

Trains will be able to fly down the tracks at before unthinkable speeds of 55 mph!!!

Second is the building of the Fukov River Rail bridge.

The banks in New Cork strongly suggest the New Sanctum Line wait to do any serious expansion though :( I suspect they are on to something, but the cash is flowing in so if anyone has ideas or wants to be bought out we'll see what we can do.

FISHMANPET posted:

The families of Oliver have failed in their expiriment with train travel, having the misfortune to be on the wrong side of the river. But a few brave men, pockets still lined with mill money, decide to start a new venture. The New Dublin & Boltic Company would like to build a line from New Dublin to Boltic to Chenchester, following roughly the already improved road.

The New Sanctum Lines does not wish to have an interchange with this railroad as it would duplicate our service. However you can definitely go over us. :)

Edit: Updated 1870 rail map posted

VVVVV I used the wrong color sorry

Ron Pauls Friend fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Oct 13, 2012

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Ron Pauls Friend posted:

Second is the building of the Fukov River bridge.

I thought we could also have a rail bridge over it? That looks like a road one (though we most likely should grab a second road bridge as well.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I feel like the best way to revitalize Deep Bend is to create a rail line giving it a straight shot to New Dublin.

Madox
Oct 25, 2004
Recedite, plebes!
I love following this thread, but came to notice this game going on too late and havn't participated. Nonetheless, I find Cichlidae's efforts to flesh out Nutmeg over time, and add all the details, is amazing! Are airports going to be involved eventually?

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

Nononono, don't build it there! Build it just north of the current road bridge, where the tracks on either side of the river are waiting to be joined.

Ron Pauls Friend
Jul 3, 2004

SlothfulCobra posted:

I feel like the best way to revitalize Deep Bend is to create a rail line giving it a straight shot to New Dublin.

Some change fell out of our pockets, we'll give it to you in exchange for a bit of equity in your plans and you must interchange exclusively with our road.

Congrats you own your own railroad.

mamosodiumku
Apr 1, 2012

?
Build rail from Chenchester-Boltic-New Dublin. Export those luxury goods!

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Madox posted:

Are airports going to be involved eventually?
It would be interesting to discuss why some airports become popular and others don't.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

mamosodiumku posted:

I claimed this one already.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Volmarias posted:

Further, help the urban exodus out of Wellingford; create a road between Wellingford and Green.

Volmarias posted:

If there's sufficient traffic between the two (Live in green, commute to wellingford) make a rail line as well.

Two-in-one combo!

Ron Pauls Friend posted:

Railroad News:

In the east, the Hartshire & Fairport has fallen under the control of a group of New Cork bankers let by barons Jay Mould & James Risk. It's a profitable line but the young Mr. Mould has so far proven to be a cunning individual and utterly ruthless in his business acumen. The NSW and the B&B continue to be profitable with the NSW planning a new bridge across the Fukov and the B&B having healthy traffic shipping metals from the Balkany area to Bridgefield, though the steep grades north of Bridgefield take a heavy toll on equipment and limit speeds. Meanwhile the WN posts little to no profits, serving mostly as a bypass of more congested routes in the region and of course the local niche goods.

The biggest news in the state is not just the long time coming buyout of the NCNS&S by the GNU also the failure of the DB&O and subsequent purchase by the newly formed New Cork, New Sanctum & Hartshire Rail Road or the New Sanctum line for short. (NS) Having lost it two terminal stations, the DB&O was gobbled up for a fire sale price, establishing a dominating presence in the Fukov valley. The NS opens a new HQ in New Sanctum as well as consolidates its shops there. The Salvation owners of the NCNS&S, in a shady legal maneuver, were completely screwed over by the New Cork bankers who financed the merger, giving the NS a permanent lease on the large but underperforming Cove State Railroad north of Salvation. The new line makes amends towards the NDS and tables its plans to connect to Salvation...for now.

In the west, the NDS and its effective subsidiary the K&W, continue their monopoly on westbound traffic. They have been accused of double charging for interchange traffic by their customers, but gently caress them who are they going to complain to, its 1870, NO loving LAWS. The HWFR is a profitable line because of traffic coming in and out of Hartshire to the north. However, the Hartshire-Mutnap line is in desperate need of upgrading and suffers from constant washouts due to its mountainous terrain and poor engineering. The NCL continues its profitable industry of shuffling finished products along the Western coast. Also a new short line has opened, the Black Mountain RR.

That's a great summary. I think I'm going to have you guys choose which railroads are going to go bankrupt in 1880 :)

Munin posted:

The possibility of new Bridges is what I would focus on. Definitely a rail Bridge at Sanctum as planned but I also think an additional road bridge would not go amiss. A bridge near the first "d" of Middleport would also be an idea.

Rail bridge in New Sanctum added - too small a change to make a .gif for, but it's been included. Another road bridge is now available as well, viewable on the city map when next I choose to update it. The bridge in Middleport is already built.

FISHMANPET posted:

That's the spirit!

Munin posted:

We should also build a road to the quarry. A mining/quarry town might then develop which will go to rack and ruin by the end of the century. :v:

But seriously, if it is a working of any size we really should run a road to it.

Volmarias posted:

Where's the rest of my line? :gonk:

Ah, I missed that part! To be fair, a drawing would have helped immensely :)

Install Gentoo posted:

Does making substantial cuts and fills through hills and valleys work yet in the game? Perhaps some railroads and normal roads could benefit from smoothing out bends that way.

Yes, but if you're doing it anywhere near an active rail line, that line will have to be shut down for months (or years) during construction.

Ron Pauls Friend posted:

The New Sanctum Lines has two critical upgrades. First is the Bridgefield Cutoff mentioned earlier and multi-tracking the entire line from New Cork to New Sanctum.

Trains will be able to fly down the tracks at before unthinkable speeds of 55 mph!!!

Second is the building of the Fukov River Rail bridge.

The banks in New Cork strongly suggest the New Sanctum Line wait to do any serious expansion though :( I suspect they are on to something, but the cash is flowing in so if anyone has ideas or wants to be bought out we'll see what we can do.

The New Sanctum Lines does not wish to have an interchange with this railroad as it would duplicate our service. However you can definitely go over us. :)

Edit: Updated 1870 rail map posted

VVVVV I used the wrong color sorry

SlothfulCobra posted:

Sure, it may be a bit redundant with the line to Boltic, but what the hell? Railroad is the future!

Madox posted:

I love following this thread, but came to notice this game going on too late and havn't participated. Nonetheless, I find Cichlidae's efforts to flesh out Nutmeg over time, and add all the details, is amazing! Are airports going to be involved eventually?

Oh, absolutely. I think Connecticut had ~100 airports at some point, so Nutmeg will need at least thirty.

Hedera Helix posted:

Nononono, don't build it there! Build it just north of the current road bridge, where the tracks on either side of the river are waiting to be joined.

You got both! Now there are two bridges.

mamosodiumku posted:

Boltic - New Dublin was already built, but you build a Chenchester branch, in the hopes that you'll be able to sell it at a high price to FISHMANPET when Chenchester expands.

I will post an UPDATED STATE MAP momentarily, since this is a lot to take in piecemeal.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD
1871, and all is well. Look at this beautiful mess you guys have made! 1880 is going to be awesome :)

Any last additions before we move to 1880?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Dunno, could anyone be crazy enough to build a new shipping port south of New Sanctum and a railroad to it?

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

Cichlidae posted:

Any last additions before we move to 1880?

Isn't there a wye in New Sanctum, just east of the first rail bridge? I recall seeing one in the detailed view of the city, but not in the state map.

Also, Fairport could probably use a rail bridge across the creek, connecting its lines. And if you're feeling really generous, a north-south connection of the lines already there. :allears:

Cichlidae posted:

That's a great summary. I think I'm going to have you guys choose which railroads are going to go bankrupt in 1880 :)

Uh oh.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Hedera Helix posted:

Isn't there a wye in New Sanctum, just east of the first rail bridge? I recall seeing one in the detailed view of the city, but not in the state map.

Also, Fairport could probably use a rail bridge across the creek, connecting its lines. And if you're feeling really generous, a north-south connection of the lines already there. :allears:

Yeah, the wye is in there, just not shown in enough detail on this map.

Fairport has two terminal stations, so there's really no way to build a bridge and track between them, at least not until we go fix up the city. How about we do that in 1880?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

nielsm posted:

Dunno, could anyone be crazy enough to build a new shipping port south of New Sanctum and a railroad to it?

Does the Fukov lead to any major industrial cities? Could have something like the Maasvlakte.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Jeoh posted:

Does the Fukov lead to any major industrial cities? Could have something like the Maasvlakte.

Middleport, Hartshire, Winton, and Summerfield are really it. The coast has plenty of natural harbors, so the value of building a big artificial one isn't very good, especially with Salvation Harbor and New Cork Harbor on either side of the state.

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:
I want to propose a merger between NDS, HWFR, K&W and H&F so that we may strangle the interlopers to the south to death :black101: Also, so we don't get gobbled up since NS is getting worryingly large. In this way, we can control nearly all rail traffic going into or out of Nutmeg, making us stupidly rich at the same time. If you are agreeable, we can discuss names or just use something functional, like NDHF or Nutmeg Import/Export Company or somesuch.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Cichlidae posted:

Middleport, Hartshire, Winton, and Summerfield are really it. The coast has plenty of natural harbors, so the value of building a big artificial one isn't very good, especially with Salvation Harbor and New Cork Harbor on either side of the state.

Plus, the river is not navigable beyond Summerfield due to dams. :v:

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy
And I'd like to propose a merger between the NS, B&B, and NSW. Access to the east will be critical as the country continues to expand.

Can I also propose fixing either Meridian/Middleport or Waterbridge for 1880?

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

i barely GNU her! posted:

And I'd like to propose a merger between the NS, B&B, and NSW. Access to the east will be critical as the country continues to expand.

Can I also propose fixing either Meridian/Middleport or Waterbridge for 1880?

We can even do both if everyone's up to the challenge.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

ZombieApostate posted:

I want to propose a merger between NDS, HWFR, K&W and H&F so that we may strangle the interlopers to the south to death :black101: Also, so we don't get gobbled up since NS is getting worryingly large. In this way, we can control nearly all rail traffic going into or out of Nutmeg, making us stupidly rich at the same time. If you are agreeable, we can discuss names or just use something functional, like NDHF or Nutmeg Import/Export Company or somesuch.

The K&W agrees to this merger. I presume that the NCL will remain independent?

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
I'm surprised that no new towns have been founded in the last half century. We should found some new big industrial towns.

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:
NCL is free to join if they wish, as far as I'm concerned. B&B also, if they would rather join us than NS. Original railroads need to stick together against those who would build parallel lines and try to force us out!

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Would it be at all feasible to build a bridge to either of those coastal islands? We need more unspoiled picturesque wilderness to ruin with our tourism industry!

Edit: I'm worried that if I merged B&B up with the NDHF, my Deep Bend/New Dublin line could get strangled by the NS, since they surround it entirely.

SlothfulCobra fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Oct 13, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

ZombieApostate posted:

NCL is free to join if they wish, as far as I'm concerned. B&B also, if they would rather join us than NS. Original railroads need to stick together against those who would build parallel lines and try to force us out!

The NCL thanks you for the offer, but will be remaining independent, for now. :)