Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VG9wZ73YWGk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forums Influencer
Jul 4, 2010
That was the best thing I've seen on HIGNFY in... ever, really. Hope there's more of that section in the extended version!

Whitefish
May 31, 2005

After the old god has been assassinated, I am ready to rule the waves.
Yeah, wow, a serious discussion on politics on HIGNFY that didn't make me cringe...everyone was saying sensible things. I couldn't believe it.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Is it this one?

"Clare Balding hosts, with guest panellists Graham Linehan and Ken Livingstone."

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Seaside Loafer posted:

Is it this one?

"Clare Balding hosts, with guest panellists Graham Linehan and Ken Livingstone."

Thats the bunny.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I have to say, that was one of the best episodes of HIGNFY I've seen in some years

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
It was really nice to see a common sense addressing of the topic, and then nicer to see them put the Mail's creepiness and hypocrisy in the spotlight.

That should be the standard BBC model for response to tabloid attacks on the beeb.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

goatface posted:

I have to say, that was one of the best episodes of HIGNFY I've seen in some years
Yeah agreed, the guest host Clare Balding was really good as well. And its nice to finally have some resolution on the Jimmy Saville houx straight out of the guys mouths!

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!
It's great to have HIGNFY back, Clare Balding's a great host.
Might rewatch it just before next week's when Jo Brand is the host to offset her shite presentation style.

e: that Abu Hamza joke :stonk: Yowza

lets go swimming fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Oct 13, 2012

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
Holy poo poo, they really tore into the Daily mail. Brilliant. I can't wait to see the Mails response and angry articles attacking every possible BBC story.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Jesus that was the bleakest episode I've ever seen. When she was fumbling with the board you could see her thinking "Do some slapstick, do some loving slapstick"

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
It was brilliant. And Balding is ace. Linehan is probably going to be the focus of a Daily Mail smear campaign now, I bet

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I never watch HIGNFY but I watched it from the recommendations here. It was aces, Claire Balding is still wonderful. Someone give her a talk show :allears:

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Can't post for 2,400,000 hours!
And right on cue as Linehan said a group of people who claim they were abused are now suing the NHS and the BBC over it. Look forward to another few weeks of people falling over themselves to get a piece of that then.

The DM is also trying desperately to make the BBC rename a John Peel tribute wing.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

I have to agree with the comments saying how that is easily one of the best Have I Got News For You episodes in a long time. Rather looking forward to the extended version.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Watching it now. Hislop, Balding and Linehan handled the Saville issue amazingly tastefully.

(e) Owwwwww that Abu Hamza joke. I think I just flipped inside out from cringing so hard. You could almost hear the producer just screaming "I THOUGHT WE loving REMOVED THAT" down her earpiece.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Oct 13, 2012

Noreaus
May 22, 2008

HEY, WHAT'S HAPPENING? :)
Everybody there was a class act. A very good episode indeed.

Edit: Ha, that Abu Hamza joke going down like a lead balloon :stare:

Noreaus fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Oct 13, 2012

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

That Hamza joke certainly bombed :v:

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Ooh, Andrew Maxwell has done one of those Conspiracy Road Trips with fundamentalists based on creationism.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01n8ls6/Conspiracy_Road_Trip_Creationism/

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Adam is returning to 6Music. But no Joe. He gets Edith "I have no opinion, everything is marvellous" Bowman.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Junkenstein posted:

Ooh, Andrew Maxwell has done one of those Conspiracy Road Trips with fundamentalists based on creationism.

I watched it when it was first aired. There's one guy in it, be prepared to utterly hate his guts for being such a total oval office, and totally missing the point of the whole exercise.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

He's done one on UFOs too, that's going out soon. He got into a spot of bother because of it.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Junkenstein posted:

On the subject of this...

Andrew Maxwell held at gunpoint at Area 51.

Surprised that's all that happened to them, tbh. What an utterly stupid thing to do.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

Junkenstein posted:

I have a feeling the hipster guy wearing the R&S records t-shirt was only there to try and be ironic or something, I laughed at his German techno analogy.

The show basically boiled down to "well these guys are experts with tons of evidence proving us wrong and making us feel stupid so...we don't like feeling stupid so gently caress them and their 'facts'."

Also Maxwell is pretty serious throughout weirdly.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Leon with a Zero posted:

I have a feeling the hipster guy wearing the R&S records t-shirt was only there to try and be ironic or something, I laughed at his German techno analogy.

The show basically boiled down to "well these guys are experts with tons of evidence proving us wrong and making us feel stupid so...we don't like feeling stupid so gently caress them and their 'facts'."

Also Maxwell is pretty serious throughout weirdly.

The Irish guy was loving infuriating. Like asking "why aren't we speaking to any creationist scientists". Maxwell looks like he was about to haul off on him any minute while he explained they're not doing this to have their beliefs REINFORCED.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Pablo Bluth posted:

Adam is returning to 6Music. But no Joe. He gets Edith "I have no opinion, everything is marvellous" Bowman.

Hopefully that will get her off the review show on Radio 1, which was really good when Nihal was presenting it. Now it seems to consist of her, some blogger who's apparently a big deal and some sort of musician and it's loving bilge. I swear, if it wasn't for their Friday night output, I'd give up on that station forever. I am, after all, completely out of the Radio 1 demographic.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Hopefully that will get her off the review show on Radio 1, which was really good when Nihal was presenting it. Now it seems to consist of her, some blogger who's apparently a big deal and some sort of musician and it's loving bilge. I swear, if it wasn't for their Friday night output, I'd give up on that station forever. I am, after all, completely out of the Radio 1 demographic.

The gently caress ever happened to Nihal? He was all over Radio 1, then just kinda vanished overnight. And he was actually good.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Klanty posted:

That was the best thing I've seen on HIGNFY in... ever, really. Hope there's more of that section in the extended version!

Me and my dad loving despise Livingstone, but both of us also agree this was the best on all levels in ages.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

VogeGandire posted:

The gently caress ever happened to Nihal? He was all over Radio 1, then just kinda vanished overnight. And he was actually good.

He's a big cheese on the Asian Network now isn't he?

7seven7
May 19, 2006

I barfed because you looked in my eyes!

Pablo Bluth posted:

This is the worst news I have ever received.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

7seven7 posted:

This is the worst news I have ever received.

"Let's take two guys who have great chemistry working together...and break them up and replace it with someone who shouldn't be on radio at all."

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

VogeGandire posted:

goatface posted:

He's a big cheese on the Asian Network now isn't he?

Yeah, he does a week day lunchtime phone in show by the looks of his twitter feed, and also has a 2am-4am asian beats show on Radio One. Shame he got kicked off weekend afternoons, as he's got a shade more personality than Huw Stephens, but then again Stephens is seemingly the heir apparent to when Ben Cooper gets sick of Zane Lowe taking every other week off and needs a new music DJ for the early evening slot. I also fear for Scott Mills future on the station if the ouster of Moyles is anything to go by.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Jesus that was the bleakest episode I've ever seen. When she was fumbling with the board you could see her thinking "Do some slapstick, do some loving slapstick"

Yeah, the Saville thing was bleak, but the best part of the show in how they handled it.

Rarity posted:

I never watch HIGNFY but I watched it from the recommendations here. It was aces, Claire Balding is still wonderful. Someone give her a talk show :allears:

To take off the rather grim feel of that one, watch perhaps one of the best HIGNFY that they made.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Just listen to 6Music, it's the best.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Pesky Splinter posted:

To take off the rather grim feel of that one, watch perhaps one of the best HIGNFY that they made.

The exact thought was "If it's not one with Brian Blessed he's entirely wro-ahhhh."

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

I still think the Angus Deighton massacre is the best episode.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

Yeah, he does a week day lunchtime phone in show by the looks of his twitter feed, and also has a 2am-4am asian beats show on Radio One. Shame he got kicked off weekend afternoons, as he's got a shade more personality than Huw Stephens, but then again Stephens is seemingly the heir apparent to when Ben Cooper gets sick of Zane Lowe taking every other week off and needs a new music DJ for the early evening slot. I also fear for Scott Mills future on the station if the ouster of Moyles is anything to go by.

Huw Stevens is a poo poo presenter and I hate how everything on Radio 1 needs to be interactive including new entries in the chart show on Sunday (and Reggie Yates is a poo poo host). Ben Cooper's a terrible controller. It really pissed me off when Scott Mills was switched with Greg James, Scott Mills is the only reason I'd listen to Radio 1 if I'm driving.

Flatscan posted:

I love that episode, I've got a "the best of" HIGNFY CD that came out just after that mess and a good chunk of it is just Deayton bashing. I used to listen to it to get me to sleep, it was fantastic.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Flatscan posted:

It's just when Paul exposes his shirt. Every loving time.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

This was a pain in the arse to find, but it's very worth the watch

It's fantastic when Ian brings out the paper, then Paul one ups him, it's just marvellous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Patron
Jul 9, 2011

Philly Philly
Enjoyed HIGNFY last night, it's good to see it back as it's easily the best panel show on tv for me.

Not a fan of Balding though they did handle the Savile thing well. It was strange how the whole atmosphere of the show just changed during that part and it never really recovered as there was a sort of tense feel for the rest of the show and the jokes were falling a bit flat.

Think that's were a better host could have broke the ice or something as Balding doesn't suit or really get into reading out some writers sick jokes, Frankie Boyle or Jimmy Carr would have excelled there.

Definitely a one of a kind episode though.