Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Yeah, if you have a week, Rome will keep you more than occupied. Sedleč and Kutná Hora are interesting (although I maintain that the ossuary specifically is somewhat underwhelming in person - but I may be influenced by having to suffer through it four times on school trips), but not exactly something that would last more than a day so wasting valuable time on traveling there and back may not be the best thing to do. That is, unless you wanted to visit some other places along the way, such as the UNESCO-listed sites such as the baroque town of Telč, the castle and gardens of Český Krumlov, Jindřichův Hradec, Tábor, the most famous Hussite stronghold, the Hluboká chateau or Třeboň, most notable for its natural sights and legacy of the once powerful House of Rosenberg. The experience would be, of course, very different from visiting a major European metropolis such as Rome.

Edit: :argh: drat you, SA, for not being able to process non-standad characters!

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Oct 8, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

Limastock posted:

I did rail from zurich->munich->prague->berlin->amsterdam->paris during december and january and it was perfectly fine. The people there know how to deal with snow, our taxi drivers were drifting in mercedes benzes like it was a daily thing in Berlin (and it was). Never had one delay the entire time on the rails too. Everything was efficient and ran like clock work.

I WILL say however, that if you plan on doing the backpacking/hostel thing, be cognizant of how far your hostel is from the train stations. My lady and I had some long walks in the snow I could have done without.

Specifically walking to Alexanderplatz from the berlin rail way station in 2 feet of fresh snow was a nightmare and one of the only times I broke down and got a taxi. Just be ready because unless you live in Minnesota here you will not be used to the cold. Just layer up and get some good gloves and you will be fine. I managed to do the whole trip in basically some thermals and a U.S. Navy p-coat fyi.

Walking from the Berlin hbf to Alex is ridiculous, almost all the sbahns running through those stops go directly between them.

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Landsknecht posted:

Walking from the Berlin hbf to Alex is ridiculous, almost all the sbahns running through those stops go directly between them.

Yeah i was mistaken actually, its been a few years. I actually meant Rosenthalplatz

It was the Circus Hostel (which I cant recommend enough btw) and it was still a nightmare of a trek though.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I'm going to Paris for a day–trip this weekend with a friend. Neither of us has been there before, and we're only going for the day, what are some fun things to do? Touristy or not, doesn't matter, we just don't want to spend the entire day in a museum (so we're probably not going to even consider the Louvre this time around). And what are some delicious places to eat that are cheap?

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

I'm going to Paris for a day–trip this weekend with a friend. Neither of us has been there before, and we're only going for the day, what are some fun things to do? Touristy or not, doesn't matter, we just don't want to spend the entire day in a museum (so we're probably not going to even consider the Louvre this time around). And what are some delicious places to eat that are cheap?

Look at:
-Arc de Triomphe
-Notre Dame
-Centre Georges Pompidou
-other things you see that are interesting (I am missing a lot)

Do:
-The Catacombs
-Eiffel Tower (use the stairs for the first "two" floors -- cheaper and shorter lines)
-Eat overpriced crepes with Nutella
-If you like Science/Science History and have time, the Musee d'Arts et Metiers is not too big and pretty fun to walk through.

I'm sure I'm missing some more easy/fast things to do in 1 day, but this is a decent start.

sleepy gary fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Oct 11, 2012

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
the Musee d'Orsay is a good one if you want one museum to spend the whole day in.

For good places to eat, just take the Metro to Montparnasse, walk a few blocks away from the real touristy parts and find somewhere to eat around there. Usually the best crepe places in Paris are around Montparnasse, I can't give more specific recommendations than that though, sorry. I also can't guarantee it'll be cheap, but the further you get from the station the better.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

Boris Galerkin posted:

I'm an American that has been living in Paris for a little over a year so I'll give you my advice. For a day you're only going to be able to see a few things. I would skip the museums as it just won't be worth your time.

The best thing about Paris is walking around and seeing all the cool buildings/monuments/etc. I would start at Notre Dame and walk around there. Check out the Hotel de Ville, Marais and Pompidou Museum (just the area around the museum is cool).

Then walk along the river toward the Eiffel Tower. On the way you'll pass the Louvre (walk around the outside and the grounds but don't go in). Continue walking by the river and you'll come across all kinds of other cool things along the way. Make little detours along the way if something seems interesting.

Some people really like Montmartre but it is away from the "center" of the city. But the Paris metro is very good so it isn't really much of a problem.

If the weather is nice I suggest having a picnic. You can get a good sandwich at a bakery but beware that bakeries become pretty scarce around the touristy areas.

Ohh and skip the Catacombs. It isn't worth your time (especially if you only have a day in the city). If you do want to go, get there 30 minutes before it opens or you're going to spend hours in line. Trust me. But I still recommend skipping it.

I also recommend not going up the Eiffel Tower. The view isn't that great from the top.

You're probably going to find pretty low quality (and very expensive) food near the tourist places. If you want a good yet affordable meal you're going to have to venture where the locals live. I always recommend ParisByMouth.com for some good tips on places to eat.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
So I'm in Crete at the moment and am enjoying the few last warm weeks here in the sun before going back into the rainy Alps. I've got a question that maybe someone could answer me here. Why are there so many fur shops here? From the Airport to our Hotel I must have past at least 5 of them and this was a 30 min ride.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Omits-Bagels posted:

I'm an American that has been living in Paris for a little over a year so I'll give you my advice. For a day you're only going to be able to see a few things. I would skip the museums as it just won't be worth your time.

The best thing about Paris is walking around and seeing all the cool buildings/monuments/etc. I would start at Notre Dame and walk around there. Check out the Hotel de Ville, Marais and Pompidou Museum (just the area around the museum is cool).

Then walk along the river toward the Eiffel Tower. On the way you'll pass the Louvre (walk around the outside and the grounds but don't go in). Continue walking by the river and you'll come across all kinds of other cool things along the way. Make little detours along the way if something seems interesting.

Some people really like Montmartre but it is away from the "center" of the city. But the Paris metro is very good so it isn't really much of a problem.

If the weather is nice I suggest having a picnic. You can get a good sandwich at a bakery but beware that bakeries become pretty scarce around the touristy areas.

Ohh and skip the Catacombs. It isn't worth your time (especially if you only have a day in the city). If you do want to go, get there 30 minutes before it opens or you're going to spend hours in line. Trust me. But I still recommend skipping it.

I also recommend not going up the Eiffel Tower. The view isn't that great from the top.

You're probably going to find pretty low quality (and very expensive) food near the tourist places. If you want a good yet affordable meal you're going to have to venture where the locals live. I always recommend ParisByMouth.com for some good tips on places to eat.

Has it been over a year already?

But you're out of your mind if you think the view from the Eiffel Tower isn't that good. The catacombs are fantastic, as well, but I guess not everyone would get anything out of it. When I went, the line was under 5 minutes to get in.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Thanks for the suggestions guys. Leaving tomorrow. I already said we're not going to any museums. I'd really like some suggestions on what is a "must eat" food in Paris that isn't available anywhere else.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Leaving tomorrow. I already said we're not going to any museums. I'd really like some suggestions on what is a "must eat" food in Paris that isn't available anywhere else.

I don't think there is any food in Paris you can't get elsewhere...

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

Oops, sorry, I read your original post as "we definitely want to spend the day in a museum" because I suck at reading, apparently.

Buy a baguette from a bakery, croissants (sure, they're available elsewhere, but they won't be near as good as in France) or a pain au chocolate and find a creperie. Crepes aren't just for desert, they're a fine food for lunch or dinner as well as a savoury dish. Don't get one from those stupid carts out the front of touristy places though, try and find an actual good one (as in my last post, Montparnasse does have a bunch, it's like 10-15 minutes on the Metro).

Stay away from anything touristy. If any of the signs around it are in English, stay the hell away from it. It's not hard to order "une baguette et deux croissants" from a real boulangerie.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
What do you have on mind: Fine dining, or common food? If the former, I have a recommendation for a quiet and decent restaurant saved from an earlier post: http://abri-cotier-paris.fr/menu.php

If the latter, well, see above.

Dj Vulvio
Mar 1, 2007

Good morning Mrs. Bates
Visit Tour Montparnasse if you're fond of landscapes, you can even see the Eiffel Tower, which isn't possible on the tower itself :v:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Dj Vulvio posted:

Visit Tour Montparnasse if you're fond of landscapes, you can even see the Eiffel Tower, which isn't possible on the tower itself :v:
With the added bonus of being the only Paris landscape where you can't see Tour Montparnasse :v:

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

DNova posted:

Has it been over a year already?

But you're out of your mind if you think the view from the Eiffel Tower isn't that good. The catacombs are fantastic, as well, but I guess not everyone would get anything out of it. When I went, the line was under 5 minutes to get in.

I thought the view from the Eiffel Tower was/is awesome too, but agree with Omits that the Catacombs were pretty mediocre, and definitely not worth the 90 minute line it always has unless you get there before opening. Not sure what the big deal is, it's nowhere nearly as cool as like the (tiny) Sedlec Ossuary.

Also what the poster above said.

VVVVV: I meant the 90 minute wait at the Catacombs. No shortcut there (except to cut people in line)!

Saladman fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Oct 15, 2012

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Saladman posted:

definitely not worth the 90 minute line it always has unless you get there before opening.

If you go, take the stairs and you won't have this problem. It is 700 steps, yes, but they're really well designed, you won't feel like it's 700 steps at all, they're actually really easy to go up, and the wait is almost never more than 30 minutes.

We waited 40 minutes last time, and that was because one of the elevators was broken, so the line to take the elevators was longer than usual.

My grandpa used to take me up the stairs when he was 70 years old, you shouldn't have a problem if you're even reasonably fit.

bionictom
Mar 17, 2009

Boris Galerkin posted:

In boulangeries you can also get flan and different kinds of quiches, which they will heat for you if you want. Both of these things were my favourite foods in paris.

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Amsterdam goons: can anyone confirm/deny recent changes in the cannabis law for tourists? Ive already been to Amsterdam a few years ago and had a blast but I have some friends who havent been and they really want to see the city. Not being able to enjoy the coffee shops would definitely take away from the experience imo but ive heard alot of conflicting stories about the new law proposals. So I dont know what to tell them. When I went coffee shops/weed for tourists was A-OK while mushrooms were "legal" and, well, your laws seem a bit gray.

Anyone have any recent experience?

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
My two cents: if you're doing weed tourism, go to Spain instead. Better weather.

Amsterdam is great in its own right, though, but going there primarily for the weed factor is a mistake in my opinion.

Ajaxify
May 6, 2009
I was just there this weekend. Weed is legal for non-citizens in Amsterdam but not in the provinces bordering Germany. As of January 1st 2013, weed will no longer be available for purchase by non-citizens in Amsterdam.

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Xibanya posted:

My two cents: if you're doing weed tourism, go to Spain instead. Better weather.

Amsterdam is great in its own right, though, but going there primarily for the weed factor is a mistake in my opinion.

Like I said, ive been there before and i was just asking for some friends of mine. I agree that going someplace to just do "drugs" is silly but I also think it is equally ridiculous to completely ignore such a large and defining aspect of the city.

Ajaxify posted:

I was just there this weekend. Weed is legal for non-citizens in Amsterdam but not in the provinces bordering Germany. As of January 1st 2013, weed will no longer be available for purchase by non-citizens in Amsterdam.

Awesome, ill pass this along.

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

WARNING:I AM A FASCIST PIECE OF SHIT.
Police beatings get me hard

Ajaxify posted:

As of January 1st 2013, weed will no longer be available for purchase by non-citizens in Amsterdam.

I live in Amsterdam, the chance that this will actually go through is quite low. The experience with the "wietpas" (weedpass) in the border provinces has been quite problematic and rolling out the system in the rest of the country is now under intens debate.

I wouldn't bet on it when booking my plane ticket, but I'd say there's an 75% chance that the weedpass will not happen. We will know more in a couple of weeks.

Mr.AARP
Apr 20, 2010

I was born after Kurt Cobain died. Now you feel old.

Okay guys, I'm in the beginning stages of planning my trip from June 17 when I arrive in London to July 6 when I depart Berlin. As some of you might have seen in my abortion of a thread (sorry, didn't see the megathread :frogout:), I have a rough idea of what I'm doing but no idea on the specifics.

Here are the cities I would like to see
London (arrival)
Paris
Brussels? (worth it to see Belgium?)
Amsterdam
---I have no idea what to put here. Cologne?---
Berlin (departure)

What would you all recommend as far as number of days for each of those? I'm 18 year old guy and I'll be traveling with my 25 year old sister. We'll be hosteling. I have no idea at which hostels yet but I've heard good things about the Flying Pig in Amsterdam. I'd consider my interests normal, as in I like to party but also like to see museums and culture.

Also, what rail pass would work best for us? I'm assuming the Eurostar from London to Paris should be booked in advance as well.

Thanks!

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

You might want to check out buses from London to Paris... Megabus has that route I think sometimes for as little as 1 pound. It takes a lot longer than the Eurostar though and it involves taking a ferry across the channel.

I don't have much to say about the rest. It's really a personal decision how long you need in each. Absorb everything relevant on Wikitravel and decide.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

DNova posted:

You might want to check out buses from London to Paris... Megabus has that route I think sometimes for as little as 1 pound. It takes a lot longer than the Eurostar though and it involves taking a ferry across the channel.

I don't have much to say about the rest. It's really a personal decision how long you need in each. Absorb everything relevant on Wikitravel and decide.

Megabus is always good for checking in advance. I got from Paris to Amsterdam for 5 euro.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Depending on how much you like history, if you take a tour of the church in Aachen (Aachen Dom) you can see Charlemagne's throne. The old city itself is also very nice to walk around in. The downside is there's only one tour a day in English, so if you want to see the throne and your schedule won't allow you to be there at the right time, then I hope you enjoy taking an entire tour in German.

If it were me I would go Amsterdam -> Aachen/Cologne in a day or two -> either Frankfurt or Prague -> Berlin

Also I would skip Brussels, unless you want to go just for the waffles. There's nothing to do and it sucks.

Personally, I would do:

June 17 - 20: London
June 20 - 26: Paris
June 26 - 29: Amsterdam
June 29/30: Aachen, Cologne
June 30 - July 3: Prague
July 3 - July 6: Berlin

I'd also take the Eurostar, and the high speed trains wherever possible because yeah, they're more expensive, but they do save you so much time that you can spend looking at things. Book 3 months before you want to go and you'll get the cheapest tickets.

Mr.AARP
Apr 20, 2010

I was born after Kurt Cobain died. Now you feel old.

Wow, so Prague is do-able? I thought the trip from Cologne would just take too much time by train. I'll definitely look into it since that's one of the cities I've always wanted to see.

Also, I'd definitely like to see Charlemagne's throne as I'm a bit of a history buff and am considering a minor in history.

Mr.AARP fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Oct 19, 2012

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Mr.AARP posted:

Wow, so Prague is do-able? I thought the trip from Cologne would just take too much time by train. I'll definitely look into it since that's one of the cities I've always wanted to see.

Also, I'd definitely like to see Charlemagne's throne as I'm a bit of a history buff and am considering a minor in history.

It's a longish train ride, about 7 hours on ICE, including connections in (I'm assuming) either Frankfurt or Nuremburg, but honestly Germany is one of the nicer cities to go through by train in Europe, I think.

If you really don't want to do it during the day I'm pretty sure there's a night bus that does it too, if you're a good sleeper.

Avarice7
Sep 7, 2004
I'm planning my winter wonderland trip to Europe in December and I plan on checking out some concerts while I'm over there. What's the stubhub equivalent of Europe where I can purchase tickets without fear of getting ripped off?

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

Mr.AARP posted:

---I have no idea what to put here. Cologne?---

Try Trier. When I did my European tour last year it was by far my favorite spot. Lots of interesting old buildings (including some UNESCO Roman sites), fun town center to walk through, and some cool museums.

Y2J
Aug 18, 2000

The Ayatollah of Rock and Rollah
I bought tickets to see Iron Maiden at Bercy in Paris next June 5, and in Festhalle Frankfurt in Frankfurt on June 11th. I hear there isnt too much going on in Frankfurt, so I will spend time after the 11th either in Zurich or Berlin. I know Zurich well (been numerous times) and want to take some day trips around the country but have never done Berlin. How are the prices in Berlin compared to the exorbitant ones in Switzerland?

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Y2J posted:

I bought tickets to see Iron Maiden at Bercy in Paris next June 5, and in Festhalle Frankfurt in Frankfurt on June 11th. I hear there isnt too much going on in Frankfurt, so I will spend time after the 11th either in Zurich or Berlin. I know Zurich well (been numerous times) and want to take some day trips around the country but have never done Berlin. How are the prices in Berlin compared to the exorbitant ones in Switzerland?

From what I hear (I live in Bern), many things in Berlin are 50% of Swiss prices... certainly hotels, food and drink.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

greazeball posted:

From what I hear (I live in Bern), many things in Berlin are 50% of Swiss prices... certainly hotels, food and drink.

Berlin is pretty dirt cheap even for Germany, let alone Switzerland.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001
Is Berlin in Mid-November a dumb idea? My wife and I are wanting to plan a 4-5 day vacation that is (fairly) near to Paris. It looks like an interesting city and we've both never been.

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

Omits-Bagels posted:

Is Berlin in Mid-November a dumb idea? My wife and I are wanting to plan a 4-5 day vacation that is (fairly) near to Paris. It looks like an interesting city and we've both never been.

It will be cold, grey and a bit rainy, but unless that's a problem, there's nothing wrong with that time.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

Omits-Bagels posted:

it's a good time, as there's no longer the summer tourists so you can actually go to clubs. Also all the museums are less crowded and still good, so highly worth it.

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I enjoyed berlin so much in the winter im going back again this year.

Its a great city and those people really know how to deal with snow. You wont have any problems unless your wife cant deal with cold temps/weather.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

Landsknecht posted:

it's a good time, as there's no longer the summer tourists so you can actually go to clubs. Also all the museums are less crowded and still good, so highly worth it.

We're not into clubs. Can we still have a good time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Omits-Bagels posted:

We're not into clubs. Can we still have a good time?

There's no "Shut down due to Winter" period. It's a metropolis that never goes to sleep. So yeah, you'll be able to enjoy yourselves.