Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
She's got a wedding ring - well, two, as the original platinum one gave her eczema so she stopped wearing it, and I then bought her a beautiful vintage Danish silver ring, but she's stopped wearing that for the same reason. Having babby means much hand washing. At least, I think that's the reason... :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Just buy her a copper one those are good for sensitive skin.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Just tattoo one on.

Also I am going to be back in Chicago tomorrow for a day or so. I have decided that while I don't care for the pizza, the hotdogs are great and I am going to see how many different places I can eat one from.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Fat kid plans itt.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

bunnielab posted:

Just tattoo one on.

Also I am going to be back in Chicago tomorrow for a day or so. I have decided that while I don't care for the pizza, the hotdogs are great and I am going to see how many different places I can eat one from.

Hot. Doug's.

:colbert:

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

therattle posted:

My wife didn't want an engagement ring. :smug:

Mine didn't either. :smug:

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea
Got some red beans & rice going, about to add in andouille. Delicious, cheap, filling food :toot:

e: soooo fullllllllll

An observer fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Oct 11, 2012

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

mindphlux posted:

the ring I was having designed is finished. they appraised it and HOLY gently caress I won the lottery

Just so you know ring and diamond appraisal is almost totally horseshit.

I bought my ring from a jewelry store which came with an appraisal for three times its value.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

bunnielab posted:

Just tattoo one on.

Have you had Italian Beef yet? It's like a cheesesteak that actually tastes good.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

No Wave posted:

Have you had Italian Beef yet? It's like a cheesesteak that actually tastes good.

Also on the list, that will be lunch on Friday if I can take one. I usually get all tweeked out and work through.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Chemmy posted:

Just so you know ring and diamond appraisal is almost totally horseshit.

I bought my ring from a jewelry store which came with an appraisal for three times its value.

yeah I sort of feel like this must be the case, thanks for the reality check. still though, just using pricescope.com, I think I got a decent deal, and do plan to at least have it appraised by one other person.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Who cares how much it's worth though it's not like you're going to pawn it.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Insurance. Also, holy hell at that price tag.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

My wife chose her own engagement ring, and as far as I remember, it was less than £100. As if I needed further reminder that she was the woman for me.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
Really nice ring!

Also: I wouldn't expect there to be any arbitrage possibilities in the business of purchasing jewels from retailers???

Dear E/N,
I have been in a battle of escalations through the last 24 hours - holy poo poo office politics can be tiresome!

Then on the other hand, having the appology meeting today was as awkward as finding out that you prematurely ejaculated while grinding at a school dance... A pleasure mixed with a profound shame!

The right way to handle that isn't by asking on the way out the door "Was it as good for you as it was for me?" by the way...

Also - I have new employees, cultureshocking them like gently caress right now - they're fun, they have absolutely no idea what the hell is going on! My old guys are watching them bemusedly with an overbearing smile!

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Wiggles posted:

One of my fondest memories was going with my friend to pawn the rings from his failed marriage. They lasted maybe 3-4 months. We bought a poo poo ton of beer and had a awesome party.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
So I just got invited to a wedding with 12 hours notice. They got hitched at city hall, we had dim sum, now cocktails and everybody has to go to work. Good times.

Roxy Rouge
Oct 27, 2009

Happy Hat posted:

Really nice ring!

Also: I wouldn't expect there to be any arbitrage possibilities in the business of purchasing jewels from retailers???

Dear E/N,
I have been in a battle of escalations through the last 24 hours - holy poo poo office politics can be tiresome!

Then on the other hand, having the appology meeting today was as awkward as finding out that you prematurely ejaculated while grinding at a school dance... A pleasure mixed with a profound shame!

The right way to handle that isn't by asking on the way out the door "Was it as good for you as it was for me?" by the way...

Also - I have new employees, cultureshocking them like gently caress right now - they're fun, they have absolutely no idea what the hell is going on! My old guys are watching them bemusedly with an overbearing smile!
Wait, I thought you just laid off employees??

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Anyone wanna come to a wedding?

Last minute droppers are the worst kind of people.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Insurance. Also, holy hell at that price tag.

Yes, insurance companies just pay out twice the market rate for things all the time.

Your insurance company is absolutely not giving you the appraised value.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??

GrAviTy84 posted:

Yes, but we laid off more managers than people and changed organization. I got kinda promoted.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

GrAviTy84 posted:

whats the bridesmaid situation like

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Happy Hat posted:

Yes, but we laid off more managers than people and changed organization. I got kinda promoted.
That's...unusual. Do you think this is a good thing for the company or a bad thing? Also, congratulations, assuming a kinda-promotion comes with a kinda-raise and won't require you to change your inspiring style of human resource management.

Apparently there was an Anthony Bourdain roast last night. Andrew Zimmern tweeted a few of the more devastating zingers. Rachel Ray got her chance to hit back, no idea what she said yet. I'm hoping they'll put it on Food Network at some point, but from the sound of it there might not be much besides extended bleeping and commercial breaks.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

GrAviTy84 posted:

I'll totally go, I facebooked you :o: Where are you registered?

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
It's getting cold out again and that means it's time for Inner Warmth Peanut Stew. Making this tonight with acorn squash because the store was out of butternut. I hope it's as good with the substitution.

For anyone who hasn't tried it, here is a link to the thread - I highly recommend it. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3445761

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
I'm making a pumpkin cheesecake for a family dinner, and I stumbled upon Paula Dean's recipe for one. The filling is pretty much one of the many variations of cheesecake recipes (even though it seems a little egg heavy). Then I got to the crust recipe. Graham crackers, sugar, and

:byodame:ONE WHOLE STICK OF BUTTER, Y'ALL.

A FULL stick of butter for the crust? The most I've ever seen before is 3 or 4 tablespoons. How would the crust even hold together? Wouldn't the cheesecake be floating on a pond of butter?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

her recipe may have more graham than normal. But really, as long as it holds together tightly, you're good. Just start at 4T and work up until it's firm.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
Nope, normal amount of graham crackers, just extra butter because Paula Dean. I ended up using my usual graham crust recipe instead.

Didion
Mar 16, 2009
Paula Deen's Vanilla Milkshake consists of 2t vanilla extract, 2 cups milk, 4 cups ice-cream and 8 goddamn tablespoons of sugar.

It's goddamn delicious. But also shameful in the way I imagine how eating ortolan feels like.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Amykinz posted:

I'm making a pumpkin cheesecake for a family dinner, and I stumbled upon Paula Dean's recipe for one. The filling is pretty much one of the many variations of cheesecake recipes (even though it seems a little egg heavy). Then I got to the crust recipe. Graham crackers, sugar, and

:byodame:ONE WHOLE STICK OF BUTTER, Y'ALL.

A FULL stick of butter for the crust? The most I've ever seen before is 3 or 4 tablespoons. How would the crust even hold together? Wouldn't the cheesecake be floating on a pond of butter?

I'm not one to defend Paula, but in this particular case, what's wrong with the extra butter? It's appropriate in this application, and would taste good.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

I was lucky enough to work with Nathan Myrhvold and the Modernist Cuisine team tonight. Here are some authentic "Myrhvold Moments"

Myrhvold Moment 1: (upon noticing that the pilot light on a gas burner is heating a dish) "Now we're cooking with gas!!......I wish we weren't"

Myrhvold Moment 2: (nathan myhrvold faces the kitchen wall, eating handfulls of 72 hr pastrami shortrib while staring blankly at nothing) "....Pastrami."

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I'm not one to defend Paula, but in this particular case, what's wrong with the extra butter? It's appropriate in this application, and would taste good.

I like Graham crust to be a bit crisp. That much butter would saturate it and make it too soggy for me. I used 4-5 tbl of butter and it was plenty for the amount of crust I needed. I'm not on the warpath about it, I just found it funny that she would sneak extra butter into every recipe possible.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Kids wanted to learn how to hunt small game, so I took them to the range today to get used to using .22s.

They shoot better than I do. :ughh:

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Casu Marzu posted:

Kids wanted to learn how to hunt small game, so I took them to the range today to get used to using .22s.

If it's any consolation, I don't have any kids, and all kids shoot better than me. Be proud :patriot:

I'm listening to some Iowa hymns, and I invite you to join me. It's harvest time!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAuK_ZjtJdU

e: got out the clutter

Eat This Glob fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Oct 13, 2012

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Casu Marzu posted:

Ahaha, excellent!

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Casu Marzu posted:

Often this is because new shooters dont have any bad habits or a flinch.

Also, totally inlove with Chicago style hotdogs, where do I get the correct bright green relish and what are the peppers?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

the black husserl posted:

Myrhvold Moment 2: (nathan myhrvold faces the kitchen wall, eating handfulls of 72 hr pastrami shortrib while staring blankly at nothing) "....Pastrami."
This is just the best mental image.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

bunnielab posted:

Often this is because new shooters dont have any bad habits or a flinch.

Also, totally inlove with Chicago style hotdogs, where do I get the correct bright green relish and what are the peppers?

Sport peppers and dill pickle relish. Vienna makes the bright green kind, they put dye in it I believe. They also sell sport peppers but any brand of those and dill relish will work fine. Don't forget the tomatoes and celery salt!

Oh, and choped onions, yellow mustard, pickle spear and gotta use a steamed poppy-seed bun. Some places put lettuce on it but they are Wrong.

Edit: http://www.hotdogchicagostyle.com/makeyourown.php

EVG fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Oct 13, 2012

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I saw a commercial for avocados the other day during some sport event where the premise was that the sports referee jumped out of the tv to yell at the dude because he didn't bring home avocados to put on the hot dogs. who the gently caress puts avocado on hot dogs?

edit: I'm not saying i think it would be super bad or disgusting but is that a common thing somewhere? that is not an intuitive use of an avocado for me

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Oct 13, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

avocado on a hot dog with some pico is goddamn amazing.