Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IndieRockLance
Jan 29, 2003

The devourer of worlds demands a Moon Pie to satiate his hunger!
Anybody use offal cuts of meat for chili often? Which ones? The cheapness is enticing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

IndieRockLance posted:

Anybody use offal cuts of meat for chili often? Which ones? The cheapness is enticing.

Oxtails and cheeks. Not really offal but cheap cuts with serious flavour.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
when using chipotle in adobo sauce, do you normally drain them and discard the sauce or do you throw the sauce in too?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

The Lord Bude posted:

when using chipotle in adobo sauce, do you normally drain them and discard the sauce or do you throw the sauce in too?

Taste the sauce and you tell me if you want it in there

Seriously chili is like the finger painting of stews, do you like it? Put it in. Keep swirling ingredients around until it's a color you like. In my case it's drat near purple from all the dried peppers

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

signalnoise posted:

Taste the sauce and you tell me if you want it in there

Seriously chili is like the finger painting of stews, do you like it? Put it in. Keep swirling ingredients around until it's a color you like. In my case it's drat near purple from all the dried peppers

I've never bought one, I was considering importing the stuff, since It's the only way I'll manage to find chipotle here and the stuff keeps getting mentioned.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
In my opinion the sauce is delicious, but depending on what brand you buy, it could be sort of spicy or be careful with it spicy. If I'm dealing with San Marcos brand, I'll chop up 2 or 3 peppers and add a tiny bit of sauce to a gallon or so of chili. If I'm dealing with La Costena, I mulch the entire can and put it in.

Now of course it's delicious, but ultimately you should be tasting it and seeing if its something you want to use. It keeps pretty well too, so if you like the idea of having a hot sauce to put on things, you could do worse than leftover adobo sauce. Use your judgment.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

signalnoise posted:

In my opinion the sauce is delicious, but depending on what brand you buy, it could be sort of spicy or be careful with it spicy. If I'm dealing with San Marcos brand, I'll chop up 2 or 3 peppers and add a tiny bit of sauce to a gallon or so of chili. If I'm dealing with La Costena, I mulch the entire can and put it in.

Now of course it's delicious, but ultimately you should be tasting it and seeing if its something you want to use. It keeps pretty well too, so if you like the idea of having a hot sauce to put on things, you could do worse than leftover adobo sauce. Use your judgment.

Thanks. It's really hard to get decent chilli making ingredients in Australia, I've never managed to find a mexican/latin american grocer anywhere. There are a couple of websites that sell dried/bottled stuff like the chipotle in adobo sauce though, that I plan to investigate.

The only commonly available fresh chillies are the cayenne, jalapeno, birdseye (I'm referring to the short thin red Thai/Malaysian chilli) and a ball shaped mild red chilli I haven't been able to identify. (Australian supermarkets don't identify them by anything resembling a proper name, instead we get long red chilli, long green chilli, small red chilli, etc.)

My goal is to pick up some interesting dried stuff on the Internet and combine with whatever fresh chillies I can get.

Zedlic
Mar 10, 2005

Ask me about being too much of a sperging idiot to understand what resisting arrest means.

IndieRockLance posted:

I'm very interested in this too. Hearts are incredibly cheap, healthy and seem like a good cut to use in chili. Anyone tried it?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Zedlic posted:

I'm very interested in this too. Hearts are incredibly cheap, healthy and seem like a good cut to use in chili. Anyone tried it?

Wouldn't hearts be too lean and lacking in connective tissue?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

dis astranagant posted:

Wouldn't hearts be too lean and lacking in connective tissue?

Whilst I wouldn't make it purely from hearts, heart does stew well and throwing some in a chilli would be good I think.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Aramoro posted:

Whilst I wouldn't make it purely from hearts, heart does stew well and throwing some in a chilli would be good I think.

The perfect chili is 90% hearts.

Meniscus
May 28, 2010
I've used heart in chili. I really liked it, but it did need more cook time than I had so it was still a bit chewy. It's really beefy tasting.

Actually it was this recipe, which I found in the last thread--I put the heart in place for the steak. Someone mentioned using goat and I really want to try it. Would this be a good recipe for goat if I subbed it in for the sirloin? If it's not a good fit for goat, what would be better?

2 tablespoons olive oil
2 pounds sirloin steak, cut into 1-inch cubes
1/2 pound ground beef
12 ounces chorizo sausage, casing removed, cut into 1/2 cubes
1 large yellow onion, coarsely chopped
1/4 cup chili powder
1 tablespoon garlic salt
2 teaspoons cumin
1 teaspoon dried basil
2 (14.5 oz) cans beef broth
2 (14.5 oz) cans whole tomatoes, drained
1/2 (12 oz) can Coca-Cola
1/2 (12 oz) can beer (your choice here, doesn't have a huge impact what you use, just make sure it's not too lovely)
1 cup cilantro, chopped
1 cinnamon stick
3 bay leaves
2-4 green jalapenos, slit lengthwise 3 times each (alternately, 1 habanero and 1 jalapeno)
1 tablespoon yellow cornmeal
Salt and pepper, to taste

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?

Zedlic posted:

SYFY HYPHY posted:

aspichili

for reference, smoked ham hocks, ox tails, beef heart and such

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax
I have been using the smoker like crazy the last two weeks, and was starting to get a backlog of leftovers, so I did the right thing and made it into chili.

It is pretty good, but I honestly don't notice much of a difference over just browning meat, other than the pulled pork leavings give it a nice thickness. I normally use cubed top sirloin and then add a bit of ground meat as a filler. The pork was definitely better.

Ended up using about 1-2 lbs of chopped brisket, 1 lb of unsauced pulled pork, some cubed chuck, and 1 lb of anchos, rehydrated and processed.

(pre-seasoning)

While I don't think the smoke really adds much, it is a nice change of pace for the leftovers when you get sick of sandwiches.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
I apologise for the cross-post, but I didn't get any clues in the small questions thread.

Bollock Monkey posted:

I bought a pack of mixed chillies, but I don't know what kinds they are. According to the packet, there may be any mixture of bishop's hat, Scotch bonnet, finger, jalapeņo and Hungarian hot wax chillies. I assume that's a Scotch bonnet I have there on the left, and that the three purple/green ones are the same type and that the small green one is a finger chilli... But honestly that's just speculation. Could I get a little bit of help in identifying which are which?

I want to put some of these in a chilli and the others in something else, probably a stir fry or something. Which are best for chilli? How much does it matter?

P_T_S
Aug 28, 2009

Bollock Monkey posted:

I apologise for the cross-post, but I didn't get any clues in the small questions thread.

I want to put some of these in a chilli and the others in something else, probably a stir fry or something. Which are best for chilli? How much does it matter?

From the right: hungarian, jalepeņo, finger (looks like a thai bird chili to me though), no idea 3x and bishop's hat

The best chilies for chili are whichever ones you like the taste of best. No rules in chili (there are lots of rules in chili).

found a guide

P_T_S fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Oct 24, 2012

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
Wonderful, just what I was after. Thank you!

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Bollock Monkey posted:

from the post right below yours in the small questions thread:

Appl posted:

I don't know if you'll have all the ingredients for it, but one of the best crockpot recipes involving chorizo and fresh chilies is Irish Pepper stew. It's a light summery dish. But first, lets discuss your peppers. Going from top to bottom, the first one is a banana pepper - it is called that because of the yellowish tint to it and its elongated, banana-looking shape. It also has a flavor that tastes similar to a banana dusted with white pepper with a mild vinegary background flavor, so you'll want to only use about 1/3 of it.

You're green one is your common jalapeno. Before using it, slice it in half and look at the juice and seeds. If the juices are fairly clear and the seeds are a nice shade of white, your jalapeno was domestically grown in the US and will have a milder taste (use the whole pepper). If the seeds are a bit brownish and the juices are cloudy, the pepper was imported from South America and will be a bit more spicy and pungent (use about 3/4s of it).

The red is a Spanish variety known as Rojo perro-verga or just perro verga. You should be careful when handling it because if you rub it too much, the hot juices can seep from the tip of it. This variety is a bit hot, but if you workout, they are great for you since the inside is full of protein. I would use about 1/2 of it.

That orange one may look like a pepper but it really isn't. The French call it du faux poivron. It is actually from the carrot family and is just an example of nature impersonating another object to protect itself. It has very little taste and no heat, but you probably wouldn't eat it because it look hot (use the whole "pepper"). You can tell the difference from a domestic Orange Pepper because it's dirtier than a normal pepper (grows underground), the stem curves the opposite direction than the curve on the pepper, and you see that hair coming off the tip? Thats the end of the root.

Now that you know a little about peppers, lets make some Irish Pepper Stew. First you want to saute off about 1/2 diced onion until it starts getting a bit of color. Add your 4 oz chorizo, and cook it until it is crisp. Strain the excess grease and add in 3 cloves of garlic and your diced peppers (1/3 banana, 3/4 Jalapeno, 1/2 Perro verga, and a whole du faux poivron). I like to count the peppers off as I add each seperate one to the crockpot - it makes cooking fun:). Cook until peppers are soft and deglaze with a 1/2 cup white wine. Reduce by 1/2. Now here comes the Irish part---------> Add 3 cups of Baileys Irish Cream and bring to a simmer (this will remove the harshness of the alcohol). Add 2 diced potatoes. Season with salt, thyme, a 3 bay leaves. You don't need cracked pepper because the diced pepper will take care of that flavor. If you want a zestier stew add the juice of 3 lemons to it, if you want a lighter stew, add 1/2 cup of tonic water to it. This helps aerate the stew and give it a unique texture. Finally close your crockpot and let simmer for 4 hours or until it thickens up slightly. Check your final seasoning and enjoy. :hfive:

:effort:

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
That post started talking about some of the chillies being orange, which they clearly aren't, plus a 'root hair' that certainly doesn't exist, so I wrote it off. When I questioned that person about this, they didn't respond.

Bollock Monkey fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Oct 24, 2012

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Bollock Monkey posted:

That post started talking about some of the chillies being orange, which they clearly aren't, plus a 'root hair' that certainly doesn't exist, so I wrote it off. When I questioned that person about this, they didn't respond.

I think appl's colourblind, he has made that mistake before a couple times.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

I think appl's colourblind, he has made that mistake before a couple times.

Ah, that makes the mystery much less so! I was somewhat confused.

Anyway, now I know and tonight it is time for delicious autumn chilli.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

cornface posted:

I have been using the smoker like crazy the last two weeks, and was starting to get a backlog of leftovers, so I did the right thing and made it into chili.

It is pretty good, but I honestly don't notice much of a difference over just browning meat, other than the pulled pork leavings give it a nice thickness. I normally use cubed top sirloin and then add a bit of ground meat as a filler. The pork was definitely better.

Ended up using about 1-2 lbs of chopped brisket, 1 lb of unsauced pulled pork, some cubed chuck, and 1 lb of anchos, rehydrated and processed.

(pre-seasoning)

While I don't think the smoke really adds much, it is a nice change of pace for the leftovers when you get sick of sandwiches.

If it makes you feel better, I want to eat that chili like a crazy person.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Yeah that chili looks boss as gently caress.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

angerbrat posted:

If it makes you feel better, I want to eat that chili like a crazy person.

Thanks!

So what do you guys do with your dried peppers? I've seen a lot of people saying that they grind them into powders, but I usually just put a big pot of water on high heat, rip the stems out, and throw them in the pot. When the water boils I turn off the heat and throw them all in the food processor. It makes a nice thick base.

I usually do one part mild processed peppers to three parts meat, and then mix that up with a chipotle spice blend (chipotle/garlic/onion/salt/cumin/sugar/mex oregano) and sauteed hot peppers and onion.

I'm thinking about cutting back on the chipotle powder in the seasoning next time and replacing it with fresh habeneros or maybe smoking some other fresh peppers to blend in. The last time I did this I way overshot the heat runway, though. By a lot. Good lord.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Personally I really like fire roasted fresh peppers (great for flavor but not heat) but toasted and ground dried peppers works well too.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
So, which one of you goons owns a place in the research triangle area? The menu offered "Chili (YES, WITH BEANS! NO EXCEPTIONS!)".

It made me think of this thread. Out yourself and be a proud goontrepaneur.

ForestHobo
Sep 19, 2004
Roses are red, violets are blue, omgwtf, I love you.

cornface posted:

So what do you guys do with your dried peppers?

An immersion blender is the way to go if you own one. Throw your stemmed/seeded dried peppers in a separate pot with your stock (toast before hand if you prefer). Once they're rehydrated, give the pot the stick until the peppers are broken up. Use your pepper/stock mixture as usual.

Alternately, as of late, I've been moving the rehydrated peppers into a tall container just wide enough to accommodate the immersion blender. Pulse with a ladle or two of stock until you get a paste, use as you would chili powder. This method seems to break the peppers up a little more than the aforementioned approach, and thanks to my cavalier approach to cooking, the lady of the house is cleaning less bright orange water off of the counter/walls/ceiling.

ForestHobo fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Oct 26, 2012

Admiral Snuggles
Dec 12, 2008

:qq: Freedom :qq:
Admiral Snuggles Cheap Fartblaster Chili

1 lb hamburger
1 small can kidney beans
1 small can navy beans
1 small can black beans
1 big can diced tomatoes
1 tiny can tomato paste
2 fresh roma tomatoes
1 onion
4 cloves garlic
2 teaspoons cumin (this is probably the most expensive ingredient if you don't have on hand but get some it will last a while)
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 1/2 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon chili powder
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 big can of sliced down the middle jalepenos (sometimes these come with carrots, that's ok, carrots are allowed in this chili)
1 big pot
1 big spoon

1. Put the pot on the stove on medium high heat. Put the hamburger in there and break it apart with the big spoon.

2. While the hamburger is cooking: Dice the onion. Mince the garlic. Cut the tomatoes in half and squish out the seeds (seeds be bitter son). Dice the tomatoes.

3. When the hamburger is 3/4 done. Add the diced onion, garlic, tomatoes. I don't drain the grease from the hamburger, I use it as oil to sautee the veges. Also add your spices: the paprika, cumin, onion powder, chili powder, salt, and pepper.

4. When the hamburger is just about done (you don't want to overcook it because you'll be doing some stewing), and the garlic is turning slightly golden, add everything in the cans. Drain everything, especially the beans, them bean juice add odd flavors to your chili.

5. Stir it up good, turn the heat to medium low heat. Let stew for 45 minutes, stirring the pot every 10 minutes or so.

This chili keeps really well, tastes even better the day after. Makes about 20 servings. If you already got the spices it costs about 13 dollars so this is well under a buck a serving. Great for bachelors or college students trying to eat well on a budget. It's relatively low calorie and high protein/fiber too, so good for someone trying to shed a few pounds and still feel full. Although it will make you fart like a momma grizzly. Leave out the jalepenos if you don't like spicy, it's still pretty drat good stuff.

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007
I can almost hear GWS collectively inhale sharply in anticipation of the response to this one...

Death Pits of Crap
Nov 6, 2007
Rather than simmering chili on a stovetop, I want to try cooking it in the oven. I've had bad experiences with things boiling over (I am a bad cook). What temperature should I set the oven to? 300?
Also, when browning ground meat, should I be stirring continuously? I figure I should try to cook it evenly.

Death Pits of Crap fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Oct 26, 2012

Admiral Snuggles
Dec 12, 2008

Death Pits of Crap posted:

Rather than simmering chili on a stovetop, I want to try cooking it in the oven. I've had bad experiences with things boiling over (I am a bad cook). What temperature should I set the oven to? 300?
Also, when browning ground meat, should I be stirring continuously? I figure I should try to cook it evenly.

You don't have to stir continuously per se. You want to let it all brown. So chop the meat up with a spoon and when the bottom side I'd brown, stir occasionally trying to get anything pink facing the pan.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

rj54x posted:

I can almost hear GWS collectively inhale sharply in anticipation of the response to this one...

If you have a need to make something "cheap" it is well worth the time to find a grocery store with a good bulk section. The money you save not paying 10X cost for pre-packaged spices, dry goods, and peppers can go towards buying more meat and fresh vegetables.

If you look around you can find chuck roasts or top sirloin on sale for <$3.00/lb which puts it in hamburger range and makes better chili.

Either that or go all in and use cocktail onions to keep the theme going.

edit:

Death Pits of Crap posted:

I let mine simmer on the stove until I get all the ingredients in and finish it in the oven at 300 for about 3 hours until all the meat has started falling apart.

cornface fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Oct 26, 2012

Admiral Snuggles
Dec 12, 2008

I like my chili the way it is. :smith:

Death Pits of Crap
Nov 6, 2007
Just try buying and soaking the beans yourself dude. Also you already are cutting up tomatoes, sub more fresh ones for the cans of tomato product in saline solution. Nothing is really worth paying for the "convenience," except maybe those huge bags of factory-separated garlic.

Also chili with some firmer textures is really nice (as long as you don't go overboard browning it like I just did :emo:).

Death Pits of Crap fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Oct 26, 2012

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Admiral Snuggles posted:

Admiral Snuggles Cheap Fartblaster Chili

1 lb hamburger
1 small can kidney beans
1 small can navy beans
1 small can black beans
1 big can diced tomatoes
1 tiny can tomato paste
2 fresh roma tomatoes
1 onion
4 cloves garlic
2 teaspoons cumin (this is probably the most expensive ingredient if you don't have on hand but get some it will last a while)
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 1/2 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon chili powder
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 big can of sliced down the middle jalepenos (sometimes these come with carrots, that's ok, carrots are allowed in this chili)
1 big pot
1 big spoon

1. Put the pot on the stove on medium high heat. Put the hamburger in there and break it apart with the big spoon.

2. While the hamburger is cooking: Dice the onion. Mince the garlic. Cut the tomatoes in half and squish out the seeds (seeds be bitter son). Dice the tomatoes.

3. When the hamburger is 3/4 done. Add the diced onion, garlic, tomatoes. I don't drain the grease from the hamburger, I use it as oil to sautee the veges. Also add your spices: the paprika, cumin, onion powder, chili powder, salt, and pepper.

4. When the hamburger is just about done (you don't want to overcook it because you'll be doing some stewing), and the garlic is turning slightly golden, add everything in the cans. Drain everything, especially the beans, them bean juice add odd flavors to your chili.

5. Stir it up good, turn the heat to medium low heat. Let stew for 45 minutes, stirring the pot every 10 minutes or so.

This chili keeps really well, tastes even better the day after. Makes about 20 servings. If you already got the spices it costs about 13 dollars so this is well under a buck a serving. Great for bachelors or college students trying to eat well on a budget. It's relatively low calorie and high protein/fiber too, so good for someone trying to shed a few pounds and still feel full. Although it will make you fart like a momma grizzly. Leave out the jalepenos if you don't like spicy, it's still pretty drat good stuff.
how do you overcook ground meat? even if you're burning it slightly, that's not really bad.
also, canned tomatoes are fine(if you like that kind of thing in your chili) but I'd recommend avoiding canned tomatoes that contain calcium chloride as an ingredient; as a firming agent, it takes much longer for tomatoes treated with it to break down.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I whipped up another batch of thick brown sludge this week :v:

8 lbs of pork shoulder
2 quarts beef stock
1 lb poblanos
1 lb anaheims
.5 lbs caribes
.5 lbs serranos
7 oz can of chipotles in adobo
2 bulbs of garlic
5 oz unsweetened chocolate
1/4 cup chili powder
a few tablespoons each of cumin, cayenne, paprika and cinnamon
A light dusting of flour
maybe tablespoon of salt

Might have used a little too much chocolate but it turned out alright. Very, very intense. No habs because I was sharing it with some people who might not appreciate them (it was too intense for them even without them).

Admiral Snuggles
Dec 12, 2008

Convenience is extraordinarily important to some people. Also I like bigger chunks of fresh tomatoes in with the diced ones. If I used lots of fresh ones I'd have to de-skin them which is a huge pain in the rear end. So is soaking beans. Just leave my recipe alone. :( it's nummy, cheap, easy to make, time spent by the chopping board or the stove is little.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
Soaking beans is literally taking the pot you were gonna use for your chili, dumping all the beans in there with water the night before, and then dumping them out the following day and using them in said pot?

I mean I can see the take it or leave it with the powder, but it really is super easy to do that and you get a lot less sodium and other crap than you do using canned beans.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Admiral Snuggles posted:

Just leave my recipe alone. :( it's nummy, cheap, easy to make, time spent by the chopping board or the stove is little.
Why post your recipe if you just :cry: when someone posts a suggestion/mild criticism?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Snuggles
Dec 12, 2008

MasterFugu posted:

Why post your recipe if you just :cry: when someone posts a suggestion/mild criticism?

Are you really criticizing the criticism of my criticism? :wtc: Goodbye goons with spoons I tried. :smith: