Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

_firehawk posted:

debunked.

Mercury Montego HID Reflectors. Also see Gen 1 GMC Envoy and Lincoln Mark VIII's. rinse repeat

Learn something new everyday. So how's that work in terms of aftermarket applications like that Monte? They are HID appropriate reflectors? What is the difference between non-HID and HID reflectors?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

_firehawk
Sep 12, 2004
Phillips makes them directly in sealed beam and sealed beam (with projectors inside)

http://site.mawebcenters.com/xsighting/products.html

Granted the projectors seem to be all the rage, but some people prefer the full look of a light and thats why they make HID reflectors.

Hell look at a Gen II Prius, HID reflectors. And Toyota even threw HID reflectors on their mini van (a few years ago). I will shut up now. I know you get my point.

_firehawk fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Oct 13, 2012

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

_firehawk posted:

Phillips makes them directly in sealed beam and sealed beam (with projectors inside)

http://site.mawebcenters.com/xsighting/products.html

Granted the projectors seem to be all the rage, but some people prefer the full look of a light and thats why they make HID reflectors.

Hell look at a Gen II Prius, HID reflectors. And Toyota even threw HID reflectors on their mini van (a few years ago). I will shut up now. I know you get my point.

Hmmm...I researched HID projectors when changing out my headlights but have never heard of HID reflectors until now (or if I did I don't remember). I thought he just wanted an updated look and got new clear headlights. Anyway; thanks for calling me out or I wouldn't have known. Sorry for the derail folks.

_firehawk
Sep 12, 2004
Reflectors are generally only done by OEM's as your average shade tree mechanic can't fab up injection molded parts. But they can cobble together a glass lens and a beer can.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

ExecuDork posted:

This is what I do almost every week - my Sunday Drives. Drive around the back roads, explore, take pictures.

I hope you had fun, at least.

I don't have to push my car to to enjoy it - a narrow 2 lane road in the middle of nowhere with a lot of turns is awesome, even with a Metro. Just cruise and enjoy the view, stopping for some photos now and then. I have about 40-50 photos I still need to run through Lightroom from that trip, though none are really car oriented.

Gas is loving expensive when you're that far off the beaten path. I found out during one such drive that I can actually drive for 80 miles with the low fuel light on, only sputtering around turns :v:

Due to that, my next post in the "what'd you do today" thread will probably be "gently caress my fuel pump died and I had to drop the tank gently caress!"

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

travisray2004 posted:

Hmmm...I researched HID projectors when changing out my headlights but have never heard of HID reflectors until now (or if I did I don't remember).

They aren't terribly common but they do exist. If you look at HID bulbs in addition to D1S, D2S and D4S (projector bulbs) there are also D1R, D2R and D4R. The "R" bulbs have black ceramic coating on the bulb to eliminate glare being thrown directly from the arc.

Gordon Bombay
Nov 3, 2010

I'd love to do a character with a wife, a nice little house, a couple of kids, a dog, maybe a bit of singing, and no guns and no killing, but nobody offers me those kind of parts.
Enough about lights, here's my 94 540i that I picked up earlier this year

And here's one my gf took at my old place with her cell phone while I was washing it

Gordon Bombay fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Oct 14, 2012

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Just picked up this motherfucker:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

gently caress yes.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I hope you also bought a Kevlar vest, because you're going to be endlessly bombarded by pussy shrapnel.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Dat Is Rad As gently caress.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Powershift posted:

I hope you also bought a Kevlar vest, because you're going to be endlessly bombarded by pussy shrapnel.

I hope he's got a good lawyer, otherwise he's going to Guantanamo Bay for possession of a weapon of mass pussy destruction.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

And I wonder, I still wonder, who'll stop the rain.

mutata posted:

Nice!
Heres mine

Not on the road yet, needs the bottom end rebuilt.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

eberbs posted:

Nice!
Heres mine

Not on the road yet, needs the bottom end rebuilt.
Why are you posting on the internet instead of fixing it right now?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Why are you posting on the internet instead of fixing it right now?

Pussy shrapnel leaves some serious shell shock.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

What you can't see in my pictures are the police barriers keeping people away.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

GramCracker posted:

Here's my Avant as of 3:30 am last night

Hot loving drat. That is hot as poo poo.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

mutata posted:

That's one goddamned nice motherfucker.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

meatpimp posted:

That's one goddamned nice motherfucker.

that's pretty much all that needs to be said, that car owns so loving hard

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

mutata posted:

Adopt me. :allears:

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

mutata posted:

Do those not come in a manual? I just checked my local Craigslist for Eagles and they were all automatic.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Do those not come in a manual? I just checked my local Craigslist for Eagles and they were all automatic.

Wikipedia says there were plenty of year with manuals. Probably like 928s where people hold onto the manuals a lot harder.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

You guys are all invited to go cruisin'! I live in Utah, so it's only a few hours to Moab.

This one's a 1985 Wagon automatic with 155k on it. I don't know if the 85s came in manual, but I'd be surprised if they didn't, there are plenty of stick Eagles out there. She's got some hiccups, but it's small time stuff like belt squealing, a dirty carb, and a broken heater core. Also, there's no cat. converter because our county doesn't require emissions tests. Some rust pitting here and there, but yeah, it's pretty driveable and the ladies who throw themselves at me just bounce right off because it's made of metal.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

_firehawk posted:

You supposed experts suck at trolling. If you think that HIDZ only come in projectors you need to learn up on your history. Those appear to be a proper HID sealed beam conversion. With most modern cars you have fixed reflectors or projectors for halogen bulbs. With this awesome 80's ride he has sealed beams. Meaning he can pull the entire bulb, fixture and reflector out as one unit. They do make "proper" sealed beam hid conversion kits (which rely on reflectors and not projectors). Which I am guessing is what he has as the glass looks totally different. Therefore if this is what it appears to be, there would be no blinding glare and would be totally legit.

This is correct. Thanks for having the patience to explain this in my place.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

AdmiralViscen posted:

This is correct. Thanks for having the patience to explain this in my place.

Add Acura RLs to the list of cars that have factory reflector HIDs.

Sorry for assuming you went the redneck route, they really do look good in the car.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

meatpimp posted:

Sorry for assuming you went the redneck route, they really do look good in the car.

Something...positive to say? Hell has clearly frozen over :v:

Part of me wants a 80s Amer-a-barge, but the other half knows I couldn't handle the vague steering, rattling plastics, and shades of brown interior. The rumbly V8 would definitely mitigate some of those problems.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Sockington posted:

Something...positive to say? Hell has clearly frozen over :v:

Part of me wants a 80s Amer-a-barge, but the other half knows I couldn't handle the vague steering, rattling plastics, and shades of brown interior. The rumbly V8 would definitely mitigate some of those problems.

The car handles pretty well, much better than stereotypical Crown Vics or base models. I find the steering feel a refreshing change of pace.

No rattles in my car, and the interior is oxblood :)

edit - before I get a flood of bashing, the pic is old. I swapped the dash panel out to get rid of the hideous Chevy logo glued on and I bought new floormats and headliner.

Last on the list is a replacement radio, I'd really like to find one of those original factory look ones that have AUX/USB inputs grafted into them but I have had difficulty finding one for my year. I can only find older model year ones or El Caminos and stuff, which are not identical. I have an original radio and a bluetooth speaker with an FM transmitter in the meantime. Does anyone know of a good place to find factory reproduction radios with 3.5mm input jacks?

AdmiralViscen fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Oct 14, 2012

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

AdmiralViscen posted:

The car handles pretty well, much better than stereotypical Crown Vics or base models. I find the steering feel a refreshing change of pace.

It'd be hard to agree after daily driving a NB Miata for two years.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Sockington posted:

It'd be hard to agree after daily driving a NB Miata for two years.

You just have to rub it in, Sock! ;-*

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

AdmiralViscen posted:

Modern Crown Vics? I drove a decent 2003 for a while, and the steering tightness and feedback was shocking. I test drove a not great Monte, and it was pretty much "yep, I'm driving a car and that's all I can tell you."

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Curious to see the output pattern of those beams you installed

_firehawk
Sep 12, 2004

meatpimp posted:

Add Acura RLs to the list of cars that have factory reflector HIDs.

In the spirit of beating this dead horse, the Cadillac Escalade and DTS also came with HID Reflectors.

Unreal Fantasy
Oct 18, 2004

2013 estoril blue s4

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Unreal Fantasy posted:

2013 estoril blue s4

And that's a nice change of topic. (but the LED DRL thing is getting out of hand, what's next, stringing the front with LEDs like a suburban house at Christmas time?)

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

meatpimp posted:

And that's a nice change of topic. (but the LED DRL thing is getting out of hand, what's next, stringing the front with LEDs like a suburban house at Christmas time?)

Didn't Audi originate it with the R8 though?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

angryhampster posted:

Didn't Audi originate it with the R8 though?

Oh probably, I like the car... I was just wondering if the overblown LED DRLs were going to continue to get more pronounced/overblown. I've also noticed that Lexus has really cranked up the output of theirs.

Four Banger
Oct 29, 2008

Crustashio posted:

A coworker just bought a 2005 (B6?) manual A4 V6 avant and I'm super loving jealous. She got it for 5k and it's in pretty good shape aside from a little front subframe rust.

I do actually need to replace my super-rusty 328 next year, would I hate myself if I got an A4 1.8T?

Hey is there an email I can reach you at? (I'm a fellow hali goon, and I have a question for you)

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Unreal Fantasy posted:

2013 estoril blue s4

Very nice, that and Volcano Red are the best colors for the B8.5. I'm about to trade my 2011 S4, but will definitely miss its power.

Hermansen
Sep 2, 2006

Breaker, Breaker,
High Ball, Ten Ten,
Till We Do It Again,
Captain Slow.

Unreal Fantasy posted:

2013 estoril blue s4

It really looks a much darker shade of blue than estoril to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unreal Fantasy
Oct 18, 2004

Hermansen posted:

It really looks a much darker shade of blue than estoril to me.

it is much darker then BMW's estoril. but with the "pearl" effect audi's blue seems to be lighter in certain lights and darker in others. i will post a couple more that were taking with a DSLR not just an iphone once i get them on the computer.