Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I swear that I couldn't find the costs in the core book, but I don't have it with me at work. Are they in the Bionics section? It's possible that I am just incompetent.

The player is intending to make his own, and he has been making plans along that arc (i.e., picking up the Armourer skill, collecting anything he believes will be useful in designing and making the parts). I am pretty happy with this as a trajectory, there's plenty of room for me to use it for a hook, and the game isn't very Mechanicus-focused so I'd prefer to avoid a big side-issue with the organization. It's all pretty prospective at the moment, but I wanted to get a handle on the basic route before making my own allowances.

I would fully expect him to look stuff off anyone they find/kill in their work. The player is a terrible packrat in all our games and he has been keenly looking for anything to help him. I'll keep the insanity (maybe even corruption?) in mind depending on how far off he goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Yeah, they are in with bionics and cybernetics. and looting people's bionics indiscriminately is a GREAT way to fall into tech heresy. give him a thing that is Best quality and gives a major bonus but is sort of weird. Welp, now you've implanted some kind of chaotic or xenos artifact into your body, idiot

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Hah, that sounds like a good plan. He is already collecting stuff while he gets the skills/equipment he needs to do the work, so it would be easy to slip it in there. He already looted some stuff from an abandoned lab they stumbled across. It would be prety harshto retroactively make that heretek stuff, but he was so eager to grab it I know he'll do it again.

The psyker is playing it pretty dangerous too. He uses his powers all the time, and so far has had ridiculously good luck on not getting Periled to death (or worse). Sooner or later though he's going to gently caress it up big time.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hello friends,

I did a Google search and looked up the appropriate entry on Lexicanum, and can't find anything about this so I figured I would go ahead and ask the thread. I am running a Dark Heresy campaign, and one of my players wants to be a Blank. She figures it would be a great defensive thing to have for the party mechanically, and is wanting to build a character story around it which explains why she was inducted into the Inquisition. I am not sure whether or not I should allow it at all, or if so how I should represent it mechanically in terms of XP cost or adjustment to starting kit and advancements.

Any thoughts? Some things that come to mind are exactly how powerful a blank she would be, what effect this would have on the rest of her party, and so on. We do not have a party psyker, so we'd not have to worry about her presence causing him to never be able to do anything, but I'm not sure how much her presence in battles would influence the party's success or detriment.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

quote:

UNTOUCHABLE

Career: Any Career, but you may not possess a Psy Rating. Special: May have no other package, talent, trait or similar that grants psychic, faith or warp-based powers or abilities, both during creation or later development.

Cost: 400 xp.

Untouchables are extraordinarily rare individuals who cast no shadow in the warp. Their mere presence acts to inhibit and disrupt psychic energy to such an extent that even humans with no psychic ability whatsoever grow uncomfortable and fractious around them. People who possess this unique nature are often marginalized and isolated, possessing few or no friends and have suffered a very troubled uprbringing. Many find themselves living on the criminal margins of the Imperium for all their lives to die alone and unmissed. Unsettling and disliked though they may be an untouchables powers are singular and as can be imagined, the Inquisition has many uses for such singular individuals in its wars against the witch and the Daemon, as do certain cults, conspiracies and worse for their own dark purposes.

Apply all of the following changes to your character.

Characteristics: The character’s starting Fellowship Characteristic is reduced by 10 (if the character’s Fellowship is 10 or less already, it is reduced to 1) but may later be increased as normal.

Unsettling Presence: An untouchable suffers a –10 penalty to all Interaction Skill Tests. Psychic Blank: The character may never gain Psychic Powers, Pure Faith, Sorcery or related Talents.

Psychic Invulnerability: An untouchable is completely immune to Psychic Powers, psychic energy and effects directed against them (as well as warp powers, possession, sorcery, Corruption from warp shock, and so forth) Also, he cannot be detected by means of Psyniscience, Sense Presence, or similar abilities—powers of this type directed at their person, even though successfully manifested, simply fail. Powers in whose wider areas he is caught simply fail to affect him—although they may affect other people normally, subject to their disruption effect.

Psychic Disruption: All Psychic Powers and abilities manifested in the character’s immediate area (a radius equal to the Untouchable’s Willpower Bonus in metres) have their Threshold increased by 10, plus any associated Test by the psyker (such as Willpower Tests) have their Difficulty increased by –20. Additionally, entities subject to Warp Instability will suffer double Damage from its effects while in this area. Note: It may still be possible to indirectly affect an untouchable with a Psychic Power—for example, a boulder telekinetically dropped from a great height on an untouchable will still flatten them. This is left entirely left to the discretion of the GM.

it's quite good, but rather all-or-nothing when it comes to psyker opponents. The other problem is that it limits your abilities as a GM to have weird and spooky warp phenomena mess with the party's perceptions and actions, as the blank will be all :spergin: 'what? I don't see anything'.

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

In my Deathwatch game I gave the party a choice of two missions, with the Watch Captain letting them know the other mission would be covered by other assets.

Is it a dick move to just have the mission they didn't do fail or think I should roll and give it a reasonable chance of success?

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

Karandras posted:

In my Deathwatch game I gave the party a choice of two missions, with the Watch Captain letting them know the other mission would be covered by other assets.

Is it a dick move to just have the mission they didn't do fail or think I should roll and give it a reasonable chance of success?

Have it succeed, but with a cool complication or new fact that makes the results of the mission interesting and relevant for them. The other kill team completed their mission, but oh no, they're trapped, or, while they're on their own mission, oh no, they found something that suggests the other mission is an ambush, do they break off their current assignment to help their battle brothers, or maybe the other assets come back having completed their mission perfectly well, but act suspiciously and might have been corrupted and turned during the mission. Don't penalise them if they don't want to do/be involved in a mission, but make it so that it's still relevant if they want it to be.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WINNERSH TRIANGLE posted:

it's quite good, but rather all-or-nothing when it comes to psyker opponents. The other problem is that it limits your abilities as a GM to have weird and spooky warp phenomena mess with the party's perceptions and actions, as the blank will be all :spergin: 'what? I don't see anything'.

Thanks for that, buddy. I didn't see that in the book! Is it from a supplement?

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

Nietzschean posted:

Thanks for that, buddy. I didn't see that in the book! Is it from a supplement?

Radical's Handbook. I think there's some stuff on blanks elsewhere - Disciples of the Dark Gods, maybe, plus some Rogue Trader stuff - but that's the most recent Dark Heresy material.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

WINNERSH TRIANGLE posted:

Have it succeed, but with a cool complication or new fact that makes the results of the mission interesting and relevant for them. The other kill team completed their mission, but oh no, they're trapped, or, while they're on their own mission, oh no, they found something that suggests the other mission is an ambush, do they break off their current assignment to help their battle brothers, or maybe the other assets come back having completed their mission perfectly well, but act suspiciously and might have been corrupted and turned during the mission. Don't penalise them if they don't want to do/be involved in a mission, but make it so that it's still relevant if they want it to be.

Let's steal idea from other games ! In Apocalypse World/Dungeon World there is a GM tool called Fronts. They're used for tracking the progress of adventure- and campaign- scale threats. The short version is, each Front is a four step sequence of escalating threats from a particular force in the campaign. Let's say you've got Tyranids, Dark Eldar and a particular group of Chaos cultists active in your game. Figure out each group's objective, then the intermediate steps. Thwarting each step is about a mission worth of gaming. When the PCs fail, or otherwise allow a Front to advance its objectives, then something bad happens and the players' next mission writes itself. Fronts that aren't active in a particular mission can be represented by rumors or dark tidings from elsewhere in the sector.

It's a simple mechanic and it means the GM never has to wonder what happens while the PCs screw around with secondary objectives. Try it.

There's a Rogue Trader hack for Apocalypse world here:
https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0B...GMhqlnyU92P8dMk

KSAF Staff Report
Dec 5, 2011

#acolyte faggot Hall of Fame
Ask me about trying to get published by The Black Library in between the minutes of Traffic Court reporting. Also ask me about having a game survival rate worse than the Infant Mortality Rate of Afghanistan
Hey all you artsy 40k types. Imma making a fan made adventure and would like to use some fanart in it. Absolutely no money in it, but you'd get credit. It'd be a way to get your art off DeviantArt and maybe something FFG will notice.

I'm not kidding. FFG hired the guy who runs Dark Reign to work on some of their products.

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Never ever make give people commercial art for free. it devalues your art, teaches them that they dont have to pay for art, and takes money from artists everywhere when that attitude spreads. Credit is not worth anything on its own,

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

For serious artists, requests for unpaid work are almost always ignored. If you can find an illustrator with an interest in 40k who doesn't completely suck, an offer of $50/piece would be looked on as charity work but may be considered if they do that kind of thing anyway.

Don't ask for free work. It's a very common request made of artists and most just find it insulting.

KSAF Staff Report
Dec 5, 2011

#acolyte faggot Hall of Fame
Ask me about trying to get published by The Black Library in between the minutes of Traffic Court reporting. Also ask me about having a game survival rate worse than the Infant Mortality Rate of Afghanistan

Liesmith posted:

Never ever make give people commercial art for free. it devalues your art, teaches them that they dont have to pay for art, and takes money from artists everywhere when that attitude spreads. Credit is not worth anything on its own,
I am well aware of this. My adventure is worth no money. And I really don't need a lecture on why free art is bad, thanks. I am well aware. But I am not asking for new content, I am asking for existing content. That's a pretty severe division.

Clanpot Shake posted:

For serious artists, requests for unpaid work are almost always ignored. If you can find an illustrator with an interest in 40k who doesn't completely suck, an offer of $50/piece would be looked on as charity work but may be considered if they do that kind of thing anyway.

Don't ask for free work. It's a very common request made of artists and most just find it insulting.

I'm not actually looking for people to create any work here. Nor do I expect anything professional. But I do know there is plenty of fanart out there that could easily be wrapped into this.

So, to reclarify: I don't expect new art. I don't expect anything. But it would be a way for existing art to gain additional notice.

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

KSAF Staff Report posted:

I am well aware of this. My adventure is worth no money. And I really don't need a lecture on why free art is bad, thanks. I am well aware. But I am not asking for new content, I am asking for existing content. That's a pretty severe division.

I'm not actually looking for people to create any work here. Nor do I expect anything professional. But I do know there is plenty of fanart out there that could easily be wrapped into this.

So, to reclarify: I don't expect new art. I don't expect anything. But it would be a way for existing art to gain additional notice.

I wasnt lecturing you on why you shouldnt ask for free art, I was lecturing everyone else on why they shouldnt help you. Hth

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 211 days!
There's another version of the Untouchable trait in the new Navis Primer for RT. It has some granularity so you can have more or less powerful Untouchables, all the way up to Pariahs.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
Announcing the First Adventure Supplement for Only War, Final Testament. Looks to be about pacifying a rebellion, and includes Ordinatus.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Wait, wait, wait- the Horn of Mars? As in the Ordinatus Mars itself :stare: ? Man, you guys don't think small, do you?

Dedhed
Feb 27, 2005

Asehujiko posted:

I liked his re-imagining as being mainly about politics and controlling the wills of mortals and less about tentacle sex.

I've always liked Slannesh's pursuit of perfection and obsession aspects more. One of the pictures that got me into WH40k was that picture of the Slaneeshi space marine, with chalk white skin and every sense organ replaced with an implant. Every time he upgrades his eyes, every time he turns the volume up or the drug-dosage up, it never lasts. Soon it all becomes stale and grey. Then he starts the process over again, and again and again until his body is nothing more then a twisted vehicle, optimized for a ultimately hollow pleasure.

I also liked what they did with stuff like the Eris Transform in "Disciples of the Dark Gods", which was a formula / ontological model that showed you the inner perfection of whatever you used it on.

Dedhed fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Oct 30, 2012

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

I'll be running a horror themed adventure this week for my acolytes and I'm looking for some last minute ideas.

The setup is they've unexpectedly crash-landed on a planet and due to adverse weather conditions will be holed up in a Imperial Guard communications station staffed by a skeleton crew (pun not intended), then poo poo gets all spooky. Per all the usual horror tropes, I'm going to limit their resources, isolate them even further, and have them encounter all manner of spooky stuff (they might be reading this so I don't want to get too specific).

I've got some ideas for messing with them, but this is my first time doing a horror thing and I'd like to hear what other people have used successfully.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Ideas. Can be mixed and matched, they are not exclusive of each other.

1) Disappearing NPCs. PCs can be given choices of areas to focus on or defend, which will slow down disappearances (NPCs only "die off" if they are alone in a scary situation). This encourages the PCs to split up, which makes for Alone in the Dark situations.

2) PCs have to nut up and basically console the terrified guardsmen. Social skill checks to keep their morale up.

3) Make essentially a map of the station, room by room (roughly, not used for combat). Each room gets a number. At each subsequent step (could be literally per encounter, but you may want to tweak how often) roll dice to see what room something happens in. Then make and consult a table of possible scary encounters. Leave little "after-effects" if it is in a room they could not observe, so they can try and figure it out later.

4)Trope-y but the boogieman Lictor. Ork-enstein. Eldar-cula. Were-kroot. etc. etc.

5) The skeleton crew has one person who is infested with a parasite, slowly losing his sanity and becoming a conduit for the scary things. Players get little clues if they're really observant, and can eliminate him for a bonus objective and potentially slow down the scary effects (esp. if you are using other instances above).

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
So I'm beginning a writeup for a game. As far as the general setup goes, the people I'm playing with have 0 experience with 40k lore and I am pretty well versed. Because of this my first campaign is going to be probably more 'Call of Cthulu with laserguns' style low power Dark Heresy, since everyone I am playing with has relatable knowledge as to what a game like CoC that would entail.

Story premise is that the player group is part of a group of heresy scouters. Their patron Inquisitor, unable to follow every lead and rumor he finds, sends these groups of people out to chase rumors of sorcery and heresy. Most of the time the issues wind up being mundane or criminal instead of heretical and acted upon the players accordingly. Sometimes the scouts find something truly actionable and heretical...

The current lead the players are following takes them to an Agri world. Due to a drought on a worldwide level, grain output has not been good save for the lands belonging to one particular noble. He has no particular advantage over other land owners in the area that could account for the significantly larger yield he's been getting, and there are rumors that he has turned to witchcraft to get his returns.

The players will pose as administratum inspectors, looking at his setup to see if there is any excuse as to why things are the way they are here. During the investigation, they will spend probably most of their time in a psuedo-Innsmoth style shanty town for the thousands of indentured servants and sanctioned mutants that work on the farm. After a few encounters there, they are lead back to the Noble's son, whom is a unsanctioned psyker-turned-sorceror that the father hid away from the Imperium. There is a cult of mutants on the farm worship him like a god, leading to an encounter wherein the players interrupt some sort of sacrificial ritual and either kill and/or capture the son.

Bonus points if I can work in my bonus encounter: The father so stricken with grief over the loss of his son, attempts to run down the players in a Leman Russ that has been purposed as a grain thresher (see: no weapons on it)

This is going to be an introduction to the 40k universe for pretty much all of my players, so I'm wondering how directed (railroad-y?) I should be with them. Especially so if one of the players decides he wants to blow his cover and just announce that they are inquisitorial agents or what have you. I want to impress upon them the idea of discretion and following their gut on what they should be doing and who they should and should not be picking fights with, but I'm also afraid that if I don't spend enough time massaging them on what's going on or what they should be doing that they will fall back to the D&D trope of 'going to the inn and asking the locals about quests' or just picking fights with people because the player character hasn't rolled dice in a while. Can anyone share their thoughts with me regarding a more directed story vs a more free form player driven one for new players? What would be the ideal balance between the two be?

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DeathSandwich posted:

This is going to be an introduction to the 40k universe for pretty much all of my players, so I'm wondering how directed (railroad-y?) I should be with them. Especially so if one of the players decides he wants to blow his cover and just announce that they are inquisitorial agents or what have you. I want to impress upon them the idea of discretion and following their gut on what they should be doing and who they should and should not be picking fights with, but I'm also afraid that if I don't spend enough time massaging them on what's going on or what they should be doing that they will fall back to the D&D trope of 'going to the inn and asking the locals about quests' or just picking fights with people because the player character hasn't rolled dice in a while. Can anyone share their thoughts with me regarding a more directed story vs a more free form player driven one for new players? What would be the ideal balance between the two be?

I'm also very interested in this sort of advice, as in my own group there are a few folks who despite getting into the lore of 40k upon being introduced to it are still very direct, overt, and action-oriented in a game that seems like it's supposed to be about intrigue and infiltration. I wouldn't mind playing it that way except that there are others among the group who are actually trying to play it straight, and there ends up being intra-party dissonance among the two types of player.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Going off the DM Advice Thread, it seems like a good way would be to allow them to do what they want and then tie it back to the main story. If they ask for things to do they'll be given things to do but it should be hinted that they've been led on a wild goose chase (random mutant drops a reverent item related to said rogue psyker) and that could motivate them to search for the matter at hand, or they find out REALLY WEIRD poo poo HAPPENS while doing a fake quest given to them by the father with an agenda to hide what's going on.

If they announce they are the inquisition make consequences play out but make the adventure still completable - they may be incapable of using certain infrastructure planetside but since their cover is blown they can requisition offplanet support, rally non-heretics, etc. Plus they are probably less likely to be ambushed while 'searching vaguely' as their opposition becomes direct.

In essence I think it's important to encourage investigation, but if they want action deal it out (although with in-universe appropriate means). I think a dogged pursuit from a large horde of mutants and heretics should teach them the value of discreet investigation. And really, it's also about player expectations. If the players do want action, make the fights/action scenes memorable, give them their chance to shine.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Nov 5, 2012

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Also, while they do have some measure of their boss's authority, only the least subtle Inquisitors aren't going to get upset if their name is constantly being dropped.

While Inquisitors are sort of a law unto themselves, their acolytes are more like conventional undercover cops. Eventually they do get to pull out their badge and go "YUP I WAS AN AGENT OF THE IMPERIUM ALL ALONG!" and get into a shootout or set cultists on fire or whatever, but doing that too early is more like than not to send your quarry scattering like cockroaches; and it's too big a universe to be optimistic about finding people who know they're being hunted.

The Leman Russ thresher sounds awesome. Hell, it can chase them through buildings.

If your players turn out to be total action junkies, consider setting future games in a warzone. One of my favorite DH games had the PCs start as Guardsmen who were tapped to kill specific targets/recover artifacts/investigate mysteries/weed out traitors in whatever war their regiment was currently involved in, so it pretty much turned into Three Kings 40k. Everyone thought they were complete flaky shitheads or cowards for never being around for the horrible meatgrinder battles, and only Inquisitorial intervention like unit transfers kept them from being executed by commissars once or twice.

Pharmaskittle fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Nov 6, 2012

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

DeathSandwich posted:

This is going to be an introduction to the 40k universe for pretty much all of my players, so I'm wondering how directed (railroad-y?)

I am strongly against any sort of railroading. I know that its frustrating as a DM to have all this stuff ready and have the players go off track, but if you drag them along by the nose they will get grouchy and start loving around for the sake of it (at least mine do). I find it's much better to have a larger concept and let the players rattle around in the world. So there is this psyker and rituals and poo poo going on. If the players decide they would rather pick up a local 'quest' from the innkeeper, then the next time they're in town have people mourning the gruesome deaths of the sacrifices they failed to stop, or have the weirdness slowly amp up until they have to notice it. Ultimately you can have them fail their mission, and when they have to report to the Inquisitor that they failed to investigate anything because they were loving around earning thrones they can end up in deep poo poo.

Of course, this needs to be balanced so that you aren't just punishing the characters for not doing things your way. I have had the players miss my prompts and go way off track because they put together a bunch of incidental stuff into a whole conspiracy. In that situation, where they are trying earnestly but striking out, try to wind them back to the real deal - maybe the street preacher they have decided is part of the cult actually knows something, maybe the psyker is putting things in the water.

quote:

I should be with them. Especially so if one of the players decides he wants to blow his cover and just announce that they are inquisitorial agents or what have you. I want to impress upon them the idea of discretion and following their gut on what they should be doing and who they should and should not be picking fights with, but I'm also afraid that if I don't spend enough time massaging them on what's going on or what they should be doing that they will fall back to the D&D trope of 'going to the inn and asking the locals about quests' or just picking fights with people because the player character hasn't rolled dice in a while. Can anyone share their thoughts with me regarding a more directed story vs a more free form player driven one for new players? What would be the ideal balance between the two be?

I try to impress the following things on my players:

1) The Inquisition is a very shadowy, elusive organization. For most Imperial citizens - for many Imperial worlds - it is a group they will never encounter and only hear about in stories. Unless the Acolytes are dealing with particularly powerful or connected groups, it's more like a myth than anything else. So claiming to be a member of the Inquisition without any backing isn't like claiming to be part of the CIA - it's like claiming to be part of the Illuminati. Regular people will think you are lying or crazy, and even people in the know might be skeptical. Now, this depends on how you set stuff up - how deep their cover goes, does anyone know who they really are, do they have identification? I make my players earn the right to carry an Inquisitorial rosette, so until they prove themselves they have no way of proving their affiliation - they have a contact with the local authorities who knows who they are, helps enforce their cover, and can be their go-to to messages back to the Inquisition, but otherwise they have to get along on their own.

2) Inquisitors have the authority to kill planets. If they feel like its necessary, they can scour an entire planet of life, killing billions, or have it literally blown to pieces. So he's not relying on your four dudes with autoguns for muscle or heavy lifting. You're there to do what the might of the Imperium cannot - get in close to the issues and work out the truth. Shooting cultists is fine, but it's not your job to mop up the world, just work out what needs killing.

3) You are not important. The reason you are on this mission is because you are expendable to your master, and he is willing to trade your life for any information gained. This means that no, he is not going to haul your rear end out of the fire and risk anything for you without a good reason. If you gently caress up and get yourself killed, he'll find some more mooks to set on the trail. If you want backup and the cavalry coming in for you, it'll only be when/if you have something worth saving or have shown you are worth the effort. You do not have the full might of the Inquisition backing you, only what they think you're worth.

One thing that I would recommend with players that aren't too familiar with the world is that you can use character knowledge to inform players when they are heading down a bad road. So if one of your players wants to declare their Inquisitorial agents, you can say something like 'Ok, Steve, as a Scum you've dabbled in outlaw communities and you know that they'll very likely panic if they think you're Inquisition - the Inquisition has no reputation for clemency, so they may think that killing you immediately is their best chance of getting away.' or if they get on the wrong track with a cult you can tell someone 'Hey, as a Cleric you know that there are many variations of the Imperial Creed, but they have common elements and this ritual seems divergent to you'.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ashcans makes some good points, and I'd like to add my own. The average Imperial citizen knows little to nothing of sorcery, chaos or the gods. They might not even know the Inquisition exists. Generally, acolytes don't know who they're working for straight away, and may not even meet their Inquisitor for years (if ever). If it were me, I'd have your players going in knowing little more than what their cover story is.

Perhaps they need to report back any activity every night (which might give some added tension if they get held up and are running out of time to make their report). This would give you the opportunity to introduce further information and guide them.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

That's a good point, if you are worried about players going off on a power trip, you can always set them up so that they don't even know they are under cover. If they legitimately think they are actually working for the administratum, etc, then they'll be much better about staying in bounds. And then you can spring 'YOU WERE INQUISITION ALL ALONG' on them!

My players have yet to actually contact or speak with the Inquisitor controlling them, although they know he exists and a few other pieces of information. Basically they start out taking orders from one of his lesser flunkies, and as they advance and succeed they get passed to more senior contacts. Eventually they would get the opportunity to meet members of his inner circle and finally him, if they survive that long (and keep playing). Keeping your Inquisitor as a remote and shadowy figure who commands all these other people also helps create the proper aura or power and remoteness that I think is appropriate.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Ashcans posted:

Keeping your Inquisitor as a remote and shadowy figure who commands all these other people also helps create the proper aura or power and remoteness that I think is appropriate.

It also gives them plenty of opportunities to commit heresy themselves :devil:

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Thanks for the info guys, that gives me a good leg up on structuring the story for this.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

So, I have a problem with spaceship combat in RT.

In my previous game I had a smaller group, and they were all into the tactical mindset, so we used a board and tokens to represent positions and all that.

Right now I have six players, and not all of them really enjoy the maneuvering. I can't really blame them as there isn't something for everyone to do during most turns, even with extended actions. I moved back to the abstract method for positions to speed things up, but I'm still unsatisfied, no one has complained so far, but it does bother me not to have players engaged in the action, even if they're okay with browsing Facebook or playing their DS while their character twingle their thumbs.

Last battle I had some of the PCs roleplay their fight against an extended hit'n'run from the enemey and jumping between that and the actions at the command bridge, and it sort of worked, I had 'roughly' half an hour of actions for each command turn and the players left at the bridge were playing the boarders or NPC crew, so everyone was engaged, but it really isn't something I can do all the time.

Any suggestions? I reckon I could manipulate events for them to get a second ship, but a lot of the group would need elite advances to command one. For reference our group is composed of an Astropath, an Ork Freebootha (who steers the ship), the Navigator, a Magos Biologus, a Void-Master (who holds the warrant, as no one wanted the RT career) and the Seneschal (whose family controls the captain's debts).

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

:rolleyes:
I'm brand new to 40k Roleplay, though I've played the Dawn of War games so the setting isn't brand new. My GM just recently picked up the Deathwatch Corebook and the Black Crusade Corebook and we've been reading through them and trying to figure out how we want to house rule some things. In that light, I have a few quick questions regarding how experience costs for Psychic Powers work.

I'm pretty sure I understand how it works in Deathwatch, but let me know if I'm wrong. You can only purchase a number of powers equal to the number of Psychic Power talents there are in each Rank you possess (baring Elite Advances that is) and each power costs the listed amount of experience in the Psychic Powers chapter.

The thing I'm confused about is how Black Crusade's experience costs work. Psychic Powers are listed as Tier One Talents, so does each power cost the listed amount in the Psychic Powers chapter plus the cost of a Tier One Talent (whatever that may be depending on the alignment of the power and the character's alignment)? Or does it only cost the listed amount in the Psychic Powers chapter? If it's the latter, then what caused the severe decrease in the cost of most powers compared to mostly equivalent powers in Deathwatch?

Also, why is there such a disparity in the cost of increasing Psy Rating between Deathwatch and Black Crusade (with Deathwatch being an ever increasing cost [9200xp to get to PR10] versus Black Crusade's persistent cost [5250xp to get to PR10])? Is it just because they are aligned with Chaoes or am I missing something here as well?

Also, could anyone tell me how experience cost of Psychic Powers works in Dark Heresy and Rogue Trader (if it's note too :filez: that is)?

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
psychic powers in Dark Heresy work extremely badly, or extremely well, depending on your perspective. they are broken as all hell

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

kthegreat posted:

The thing I'm confused about is how Black Crusade's experience costs work. Psychic Powers are listed as Tier One Talents, so does each power cost the listed amount in the Psychic Powers chapter plus the cost of a Tier One Talent (whatever that may be depending on the alignment of the power and the character's alignment)? Or does it only cost the listed amount in the Psychic Powers chapter? If it's the latter, then what caused the severe decrease in the cost of most powers compared to mostly equivalent powers in Deathwatch?

The cost of powers purely what is listed under the power itself, theres no extra cost. The reason for this is that each of the powers is designed to cap you based upon your psy rating and infamy not by how much xp you can drop into things.

kthegreat posted:

Also, why is there such a disparity in the cost of increasing Psy Rating between Deathwatch and Black Crusade (with Deathwatch being an ever increasing cost [9200xp to get to PR10] versus Black Crusade's persistent cost [5250xp to get to PR10])? Is it just because they are aligned with Chaoes or am I missing something here as well?

The two systems are radically different. Deathwatch requires you to work up a tree, so that your capped at the amount of power you can get in one field which is then unlocked after reaching a certain threshold. This contains your power while Black Crusade allows you to take anything at any point in time if you have the xp. The danger is that all that xp is dumped into one skill and the game breaks. With Psy Rating you are required to purchase it based on your willpower bonus + corruption bonus. Capping out on willpower comes in the 60-70 range at best. So in order to get psy rating to 10 you need to be gaining corruption which has its own set of problems. Additionally you need to consider that both chaos space marines and regular heretics need to be buying from the same pool of talents and the 'Psyker' archetype requires easy enough access to the skillset without being capped off particularly when regards to being in a group with a chaos space marine who could be buy psy rating and powers too.

The psychic powers stuff is pretty powerful but relative to everything else in that book, it being a little cheaper than Deathwatch allows it to work.

kthegreat posted:

Also, could anyone tell me how experience cost of Psychic Powers works in Dark Heresy and Rogue Trader (if it's note too :filez: that is)?

Rogue Trader is similiar to Deathwatch while Dark Heresy (perhaps my favourite of the systems) us psykers like time bombs. When using a power you decide how many points your going to put into the casting of the power. The more points them more dice you get to roll to see if the power goes off but every dice has a chance to cause a perils of the warp. The bigger powers require more dice so you get a system where the psyker is left to last to solve a problem as it either solves it without issue and speeds the party along causes all kinds of problems.

Arguements are made to show Dark Heresy psykers as being broken but mostly its as a result of certain mechanics that are in place rather than the system itself (certain powers, though all systems have the crazy super powers come to think of it) and the ability for the psyker to easily get access to a lot of different fields.

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

The main cost of Dark Heresy powers is you use them to heal and then your GM hates you.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
With the rather significant secondary cost of turning into an unbound demonhost and killing the party.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Waci posted:

With the rather significant secondary cost of turning into an unbound demonhost and killing the party.

Which, because of its unlikelihood and fate points, basically never happens unless you let it. Psychic stuff needs some kind of revamp.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

The GM should add the cost of Psykers being hated and reviled by the majority of humans, because they usually are.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 211 days!
That sort of cost rarely works as a balance mechanism.

Most of the problems with Psykers in DH have to do with the powers being poorly balanced. The guy who wrote that section admitted this publicly, and also pointed out that he had made adjustments to several of the powers to address this which were not included in the final product. The biggest problem is actually healing, however- Biomancy Psykers poo poo all over the system's healing mechanics at whim.

Later products added to this, at least in my opinion, by adding Minor Powers (easily acquired powers that belong to no specific discipline) that would be questionable even as Major Powers with their target numbers increased two to three times over.

Some of the problems are related to scaling that shows up in Ascension as well. Having a ranged power that cannot be dodged derive it's number of hits, chance to hit, and damage bonus from Willpower makes some sense when a PC is going to have a Willpower bonus of 7 tops (which is still broken but no less than a well min-maxed Assassin). No so much when they can get Unnatural Willpower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Temascos
Sep 3, 2011

Just ran my first session of Dark Heresy, using the Shattered Hope adventure, it went pretty well and it was good enough for the players to want to carry on :)

That being said, there were points where I put in easy challenges like jumping a small gap that held up the party for ages due to botched rolls. We were using Roll 20 so I'm not sure if that had something to do with it, and the Tech Priest didn't get too much opportunities to do stuff (I'm writing the next session to give him a bit more use). An interesting thing the players did was take a straight-jacketed soldier in with them to use as bait...the guy survived somehow whilst the mutants were gangpiling him, I didn't get a single hit on him (gently caress knows how that happened!)

I suppose we gotta try more of the checks and rolls, adding a bit more flavour text to help things proceed and learn more of how the game plays through actually playing it.