Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

CloseFriend posted:

Allow me to thank you for this with a picture.

loving useful as hell. I even have eleven left over for later spices!

EDIT: In case you were wondering, yes, I put these in a drawer after taking that picture. Not stupid.

Bought from the link, it costs 13.75 with the economy slow shipping.

I found the same ones on Amazon so I could use my prime shipping for 2-day delivery, $13.44. Score!

http://www.amazon.com/Ball-Quilted-Jelly-Canning-Case/dp/B000VTSYA8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

CloseFriend posted:

Allow me to thank you for this with a picture.

loving useful as hell. I even have eleven left over for later spices!

EDIT: In case you were wondering, yes, I put these in a drawer after taking that picture. Not stupid.

That's gorgeous! The labels make it.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Shooting Blanks posted:

I'm pretty sure the general consensus is that lift bowl is superior, assuming you have enough room for it since it is substantially taller. Tilt heads tends to walk around the counter a bit more, since the joint where it tilts isn't 100% secure.

At least a couple people prefer tilt head, though, because it's easier to stop and add more items mid-mix if necessary.

Though, recently having returned one of the 600 W kitchenaid 6 qt stand mixers, you really should try it out in the store once first. It's an amazing mixer, and will destroy anything you point it at. But it is incredibly loud. It's like a cross between a plane taking off and a whiny baby. Seriously. Swing by a Macy's or Williams Sonoma or something and have them plug it in for you, and give it a whirl, even empty. If you're not bothered by the noise, go for it.

Otherwise, the thread consensus seems to be that the Cuisinart 5.5 qt mixer is awesome (though it may also be loud). My wife and I decided on the Breville mixer instead, because it's light, incredibly quiet, has a few nifty options, and we rarely do large batches of bread, so don't need the super large amounts of power we might be sacrificing. Besides, we've heard that it handles bread just fine.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
KitchenAid mixers are the best thing, right behind Hobart. And only because kitchenaid doesn't make 40 gallon mixers.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

The Third Man posted:

Before I bite this bullet, is this the best bet for a kitchenaid mixer these days?:

http://www.amazon.com/KitchenAid-KP...rofessional+600

EDIT: reasoning being the metal gearboxes on the professional series are more desirably/longer lasting. Is there a general opinion on head tilt vs bowl lift?

Yes, that is the best one. In fact, it's got a bigger bowl than the actual commercial version. I have one and it owns. As far as it being loud, I don't really notice it. Maybe mine is quieter than normal or Arcutras' is louder than normal, but if mine is running in the kitchen I only have to raise my voice a tiny bit to be heard over it.

Just make sure you don't put the beaters in the dishwasher.

Chef de Cuisinart posted:

Hobarts

I have worked in more than one restaurant where the Hobart came with the building AND was older than the owners.

Wibbleman
Apr 19, 2006

Fluffy doesn't want to be sacrificed

Arcturas posted:

Otherwise, the thread consensus seems to be that the Cuisinart 5.5 qt mixer is awesome (though it may also be loud). My wife and I decided on the Breville mixer instead, because it's light, incredibly quiet, has a few nifty options, and we rarely do large batches of bread, so don't need the super large amounts of power we might be sacrificing. Besides, we've heard that it handles bread just fine.

Depending on the Breville it may have more power, the BM800 has a 1kw motor in it.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Wroughtirony posted:

Yes, that is the best one. In fact, it's got a bigger bowl than the actual commercial version. I have one and it owns. As far as it being loud, I don't really notice it. Maybe mine is quieter than normal or Arcutras' is louder than normal, but if mine is running in the kitchen I only have to raise my voice a tiny bit to be heard over it.

I have worked in more than one restaurant where the Hobart came with the building AND was older than the owners.

The 180lb hobart in our bake shop was mfd in 1965, and cost like $4k in 1986. They're $20-30k new now.

As for the beaters, junk the ones that come with your kitchenaid, and get a scraper paddle, the whisk can go in the dishwasher, and I still haven't gotten a replacement for my dough hook. Wife washed them the day she bought me the mixer :argh:

e2: Also, got my new stick blender in today. Replaced a 10+ year old M450 robot coupe. :smug:

Chef De Cuisinart fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Oct 11, 2012

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

As for the beaters, junk the ones that come with your kitchenaid, and get a scraper paddle, the whisk can go in the dishwasher, and I still haven't gotten a replacement for my dough hook. Wife washed them the day she bought me the mixer :argh:

I was actually just about to ask about the scraper paddle. Sounds like its worth picking up, then? The KitchenAid brand beater is usually about $25-$30 here. Anyone else using it?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

ChetReckless posted:

I was actually just about to ask about the scraper paddle. Sounds like its worth picking up, then? The KitchenAid brand beater is usually about $25-$30 here. Anyone else using it?

I have an off brand one, because kitchenaid does not have one for my model (pro 500) But yeah, it's pretty awesome, and I use it at least once a week.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ChetReckless posted:

I have a different brand, but by all means get one. Makes a huge difference in bringing batters and doughs together.

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

It's like people only do things because they get paid, and that's just really sad
There's a "less than 3 years old" Kitchenaid 600 series on my local craigslist for $250 and it looks to be in good shape. I'm thinking I'm pretty safe on purchasing it because if something broke it looks like replacements can be had for a reasonable price: http://www.mendingshed.com/k6map.html
Anyone have any cautions on buying a used Kitchenaid?

Hellfire99
Sep 16, 2012
Hello, Fellow Kitchen-Goers:

I have discovered the most wonderous of devices! It is a CO2 powered wine bottle opener/corkscrew. A family member of mine used it on thanksgiving and I've never seen something so easy to use. All you basically do, is stab the spike down into the cork, and push the CO2 canister at the top, and poof!; out comes the cork. Afterwards, you twist the opener, and remove the cork from it. I think this is a well thought of device, considering it ease-of-use. My Mother, with semi-severe arthritis has no problem using it. The image below is the exact brand I seen, and I will provide a link below to a website where you can purchase it. There is also a mediocre, two sentence review there.

http://www.napageneralstore.com/corkpopslegacywineopener-co2wineopener.aspx

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I can't imagine buying something like that unless I had arthiritis.

Same goes for electric pepper grinders.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
wait a second, what's wrong with putting kitchenaid attachments through the dishwasher? I've put both the whisk and doughhook (and meat grinder, and paddle, to lesser degrees) through a heavy wash cycle probably 30-40 times. they seem fine?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I guess because they're aluminum, and aluminum typically gets nasty looking black oxidation in the machine washer?

I'm reading around, some people machine wash their paddles and they're fine, some machine wash them and they get ruined...

Whisks are usually stainless steel, not aluminum/

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

mindphlux posted:

wait a second, what's wrong with putting kitchenaid attachments through the dishwasher? I've put both the whisk and doughhook (and meat grinder, and paddle, to lesser degrees) through a heavy wash cycle probably 30-40 times. they seem fine?

Newer attachments, save for the whisk, are aluminum and oxidize. You can put them in there, they just don't look as good.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

EVG posted:

Bought from the link, it costs 13.75 with the economy slow shipping.

I found the same ones on Amazon so I could use my prime shipping for 2-day delivery, $13.44. Score!

http://www.amazon.com/Ball-Quilted-Jelly-Canning-Case/dp/B000VTSYA8

Now I feel like a moron because they arrived, and they are canning jars, with bands and circle lids, not normal screw on lids. Bah. Anyone know if I can buy normal lids for these?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
http://www.amazon.com/Ball-Wide-Mou...on+plastic+lids

I think the canning lids are superior for air-tightness, but here you go

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Oct 13, 2012

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Doom Rooster posted:

I have this rice cooker, and it has been amazing: http://www.amazon.com/Aroma-ARC-101...oma+rice+cooker

20 cups is obviously pretty huge, but I cook for a pretty hefty number of people occasionally. Overall, the brand has treated me really well, so I would recommend it if all you are looking for is a "Press button, cook rice" machine without all the bells and whistles. Rice turns out great every time.

The costco version of this (I've only seen the particular SKU at costco) is a loving steal: $25 and it's also a really good slow cooker.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?
I feel like I am the only one that thinks crock pots are a waste of money. Mine seem to take more than an hour to get to a good temperature. Now my electric water kettle, THAT gets used every day.

Do rice cookers use steam to cook the rice? I pretty much use nothing but brown rice and toast the rice in a pan before adding boiling water (and it's just a slightly energetic reaction) and let simmer for half an hour.

Arcturas posted:

Though, recently having returned one of the 600 W kitchenaid 6 qt stand mixers, you really should try it out in the store once first. It's an amazing mixer, and will destroy anything you point it at. But it is incredibly loud. It's like a cross between a plane taking off and a whiny baby. Seriously.
This is what I have and holy hell it is loud, as in leave the room or grab ear protection loud. BUT it is one of the best things for mixing drat near anything. Just don't wash the mixing heads in the dishwasher.

Wroughtirony posted:

Is there a good food safe way to return the shine to the aluminum?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Fire Storm posted:

Is there a good food safe way to return the shine to the aluminum?

steel wool and barkeepers. Wear gloves. It's foodsafe. I'm 99% sure the paddle and hook aren't coated with anything when you get them, they're just well polished.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
I have a 30% off coupon from Le Creuset and I'm trying to figure out what I should get with it. I inherited two Le Creuset french ovens, a small saucepan, and a braiser; and I just got a skillet at the Le Creuset outlet store I just discovered. I would like to expand my set now that I can actually afford to buy some nice stuff, and I no longer have roommates I have to give the "if you ruin my pots I will kill you, but not before you buy me a new one" speech to. What would you lovely goons suggest I should get? I'm trying not to fill my kitchen with tons of one use only pieces of equipment, so things that can be used for multiple purposes would be preferable.

Right now I'm considering getting a roaster and maybe one of those neat pasta inserts.

Sidenote: Le Creuset's warranty is AWESOME. The original cookware I had inherited was older than me and in pretty rough shape, so I called up Le Creuset and they had me mail in the old cookware and sent me a brand new set for free, no questions asked. I am grateful for the USPS flatrate boxes, or else it would've cost a zillion dollars to mail all that cast iron.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Newer attachments, save for the whisk, are aluminum and oxidize. You can put them in there, they just don't look as good.

oh - well, the attachments I have are like white - they look basically like they're ceramic - and feel pretty weighty. the whisk itself is stainless, and I guess has an aluminum top/attachment thing, but it has never really changed color... I think I got this kitchenaid like 3-4 years ago, so not that old...

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

mindphlux posted:

oh - well, the attachments I have are like white - they look basically like they're ceramic - and feel pretty weighty. the whisk itself is stainless, and I guess has an aluminum top/attachment thing, but it has never really changed color... I think I got this kitchenaid like 3-4 years ago, so not that old...
got mine 2 years ago. Your attachments are the ceramic coated aluminum. What I'd really like are the stainless steel food service attachments, but they're 30+ each.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
Looking for advice on converting a cooler as the vessel for my tepid puddle machine. Good idea/bad idea?

granpa yum
Jul 15, 2004

Happy Hat posted:

Looking for advice on converting a cooler as the vessel for my tepid puddle machine. Good idea/bad idea?

Thats what I use for my home built setup, works pretty well. I have an insulated cooler and it seems to be more efficient then the plastic tub.

Drive By
Feb 26, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Happy Hat posted:

Good idea. Watch out for the type of plastic it's made of, some might not take to higher temperatures.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Happy Hat posted:

Probably a really good idea. If the lid won't close you can cover the surface of the water in ping pong balls to keep heat in.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I got an iSi whipping siphon for my birthday. I see the OEM NOSSSSS canisters on Amazon, but will any of these food CO2 canisters work for carbonation?

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Steve Yun posted:

I can't imagine buying something like that unless I had arthiritis.

Same goes for electric pepper grinders.
You'll pry my battery-powered pepper mill from my cold, dead hands.

Unless it breaks first.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Done the conversion (cut a hole in the top of it with my dremel), it has quartered my power consumption! Also - there's not as much water loss anymore.

Would do again, rather than spend twice on a special container.

Only drawback is that it's only 20l - but I'll manage.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Hed posted:

I got an iSi whipping siphon for my birthday. I see the OEM NOSSSSS canisters on Amazon, but will any of these food CO2 canisters work for carbonation?

Yeah the standard co2 cartridges will fit also. I've used mine for carbonating fruit. Really sweet watermelon works great.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

nmfree posted:

You'll pry my battery-powered pepper mill from my cold, dead hands.

Unless it breaks first.

I have horrible memories of my father spending $150 on ridiculous battery powered pepper grinders out of lovely mail order catalogs and they were so inefficient he'd sit there with a giant loving WHURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR grinding noise for like 2 minutes at the family dinner table while we all just sat there and stared at him in disbelief.

particularly when guests were over for dinner.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

mindphlux posted:

I have horrible memories of my father spending $150 on ridiculous battery powered pepper grinders out of lovely mail order catalogs and they were so inefficient he'd sit there with a giant loving WHURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR grinding noise for like 2 minutes at the family dinner table while we all just sat there and stared at him in disbelief.

particularly when guests were over for dinner.
This was very funny to me - thank you!

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

mindphlux posted:

I have horrible memories of my father spending $150 on ridiculous battery powered pepper grinders out of lovely mail order catalogs

Since when is SkyMall considered lovely? Just check out this motion-activated paper towel dispenser for $59.99!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

J Greedy posted:

Since when is SkyMall considered lovely? Just check out this motion-activated paper towel dispenser for $59.99!
That's actually a legit product, though overpriced as expected.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Would these do as kitchen towels or should I get towels that specifically say kitchen towel

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Steve Yun posted:

Would these do as kitchen towels or should I get towels that specifically say kitchen towel

Those are the ones I use. They're cheap, thick enough to use as pot holders in a pinch, wipe up spills quite handily, and plentiful/cheap enough that you don't feel bad throwing one away occasionally if it just gets destroyed. I go through about a pack every 2 years.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
This 11 cup Cuisinart food processor is on sale: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004S9EJ...ASIN=B00004S9EJ

Will I regret being 3 cups short of the magical 14 cup food processor? (Currently own a Kitchen Aid 3 cup that is way too small)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Phone posted:

Will I regret being 3 cups short of the magical 14 cup food processor?

No.

• Locked thread