Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007
On behalf of the Serbs, we're very sorry for the Hillary Clinton sniper incident. Next time, we'll aim better.

Holy poo poo it looks like the "alien attack" part of The Watchmen.

Edit: Oh man new page, uh...my brother is pretty good at the Xbox Trial bike games, and he likes to let his opponents get a pretty good lead before absolutely destroying them. He's gotten some people screaming at him over this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
Normally I wouldn't call the server hacking incident a grief (since there's nothing really funny involved in it, wow he killed everyone inconveniencing them for roughly a minute) but the response is pretty hilarious... People are basically calling for the hacker to be murdered :v:

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

robodex posted:

Normally I wouldn't call the server hacking incident a grief (since there's nothing really funny involved in it, wow he killed everyone inconveniencing them for roughly a minute) but the response is pretty hilarious... People are basically calling for the hacker to be murdered :v:

I've never played WOW, what is the penalty for dying?

Oppenheimer
Dec 26, 2011

by Smythe
When I played it was just durability, so the price of getting your stuff repaired. It's not that bad.

Trivial Fursuit
Dec 18, 2009
I got hit by the "WoW-nuke" when I was just idling in one of the cities, didn't even get a repair bill. Literally just cost me the 20-30 seconds it took to run back to my corpse.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

robodex posted:

That's what's great. You inconvenience these people for a minute and they want to kill you. People are more friendly on the road.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It's the internet. The second there's no real consequences for calling someone a bunch of bigoted names in one sentence, people are free to literally call for someone to die for mildly inconveniencing other people.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

It's the internet. The second there's no real consequences for calling someone a bunch of bigoted names in one sentence, people are free to literally call for someone to die for mildly inconveniencing other people.

You've clearly never driven on the highway in new jersey

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Cojawfee posted:

This is why Blizzard's short-lived idea of making people use their real names on the Battle.net forums last year or the year before was such a loving stupid plan.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

That is quite an amazing screenshot there.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

I've never played WOW, what is the penalty for dying?

If it's a PvP action, there's no penalty other than the inconvenience of having to run back to your dead body. You are in no danger of losing any items. If it's a non-PvP effect that kills you, your gear takes durability damage and you may at some point need to pay a few pennies to have it instantly repaired.

The biggest source of rage will probably be that people in the capital city pictured expect to be nigh-unkillable thanks to NPC guards that attack any potential threats to citizens. Essentially people want to be able to sit in their cities typing "WTS 1000 golden pandaren bear asses 500k" without any interruptions or gently caress you blizz im canceling my sub!

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?
YOU DON'T KNOW SHIT ABOUT BEING HIP!
Speaking of death threats: http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/113g9v/there_is_no_such_thing_as_easy_money_stop/
A Goon in Guild Wars 2 has some now because of a market scam he pulled.

What he did was make a shoddy, low-res video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9VHImqIMYQ) showing off a way to supposedly have a very high chance of obtaining an exotic staff that's needed to forge a Legendary staff. Essentially there's a item blender in GW2 where you put 4 things in and 1 different thing comes out, eg. you put in 4 exotic staves, and a different exotic staff will come out. There are some items that can only be obtained this way (like the staff needed to make the Legendary staff).

He picked 4 cheap exotic staves, bought them out on the Trading Post (Auction House) then made the video above saying how this certain combination of staves has a much much greater chance of getting the pre-Legendary out of the item blender. He put the video onto Reddit and got as many people in the combined Goon guilds as possible to go there and upvote his stuff while downvoting anyone calling him out on his sham.

A ton of hype was created, he put the staves back into the Trading post at 3-4x the original cost and walked away with an extra 150 gold or so "meanwhile they lose all the gold putting the 20g recipe in the forge and destroying the items", leaving Redditors broke and crying for vengance.

(for reference, I've been playing a lot, no market manipulation though just regular questing etc, and I have about 7 gold and 220+ hrs of playtime)

on the computer
Jan 4, 2012

The original thread is hilarious. So many Redditor tears mixed with "you deserve it for being so stupid."

:qqsay: posted:

I'm sorry people. I really can't take this poo poo anymore.

I pretty much used all my gold in an attempt to try out this absolute bullshit scam by these assholes. I'm out, I'm dry, seriously.

All that gold, instead of being saved for things I wanted, like the abyss dye and charrzooka just went to the gutters all because of my stupidity. I really should have noticed the edited video.

In hindsight, the perspective and blurriness of the video should have tipped me off. I'm sorry people, I'm off this game I guess. I've met some good people over at the Crystal Desert homeworld and all, but it just takes one damned rear end in a top hat one day to just ruin my will to continue sloughing on in this game.

To the people who've also been scammed, I'm sorry I couldn't post earlier after I realized the discrepancies in the video, I was just dumbfounded after I realized how obvious it was. The moment my 4 staffs hit the combine button, they disappeared and out came a pearl staff. Alarms rang in my head and I rewatched the video only to realize I've been totally scammed.

I'm sick of this all, and tired of being poor while scammers and exploiters walk around with items I can only dream of. I tried contributing to this reddit community with guides once, silly comments and all. This is just too toxic for me to bear and endure, though.

Thanks for reading, if any make it this far. Have a good time in Tyria, still.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

My favorite part of that is he said he realized something was up "the moment the 4 staffs disappeared and out came a pearl staff". That's what set off alarms in his head.

After the third or fourth time a Nigerian Prince offered me millions of dollars for sending him a few thousand dollars, I started to think they might not be wholly on the level. It's a good thing I caught on so quickly!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Trivial Fursuit posted:

I got hit by the "WoW-nuke" when I was just idling in one of the cities, didn't even get a repair bill. Literally just cost me the 20-30 seconds it took to run back to my corpse.
If you get killed once.
If you are killed repeatedly you start incurring a time penalty to picking up your corpse that caps out at two minutes after like 3-4 deaths. I imagine most of the resulting rage is from people who did exactly what you did, picked up their body, and then got killed again - repeating that over and over until they were waiting two minutes for the privilege of getting killed because they just were too stupid not to.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I'm not familiar with WoW's history on hacks, has there been apocalyptic events like this before? I know there were game exploits like paladin bombs, and that plague that wiped out entire servers.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

A bigger problem with the hacking death cities is that, if the hackers are doing it on every major city, there's literally no way to accomplish basic tasks.

Though I doubt anyone on earth cares enough to nuke the Draenai capital.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Node posted:

I'm not familiar with WoW's history on hacks, has there been apocalyptic events like this before? I know there were game exploits like paladin bombs, and that plague that wiped out entire servers.

The plague was some kind of Blizzard event, not a grief. Some kind of zombie themed thing.

Edit: vvv Apparently I am both wrong and right!

Taciturn Tactician fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Oct 9, 2012

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Node posted:

Yep! :eng101:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corrupted_Blood_incident

edit: Oh you mention that at the end of your post. Well anyone who hasn't read abou tit should anyway.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Taciturn Tactician posted:

The plague was some kind of Blizzard event, not a grief. Some kind of zombie themed thing.
Actually, the plague spreading to cities was a glitch. The intentional use of it was for a raid boss to cast on your party when you got to low enough health, but some enterprising young fellows discovered a way to get it cast on their pet, then desummon it. This would keep the plague active on the pet without killing it, and once they summoned it in cities, it spread to all the people around the pet.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

I think they're talking about the glitch that spawned an acutal virtual plague.

e. beaten

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

That players took to deliberating infecting cities and crazy poo poo like that. Blizzard had the event and other people used, that is, exploited it to grief other people to the extent that blizzard was turning off servers to clear the infection out. Supposedly people use it as a case study kinda thing for the epidemics and poo poo like that.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Endorph posted:

A bigger problem with the hacking death cities is that, if the hackers are doing it on every major city, there's literally no way to accomplish basic tasks.
Basic tasks like questing, running dungeons or otherwise exploring the other 99% of the game's landscape that isn't fart-assing around in a major city.

trescoole
Sep 24, 2012

Edit: vvv Apparently I am both wrong and right!

If I recall correctly, the blizz plague was a bug missed by the devs, and when players who got infected with the disease left the dungeon they infected the general population.

The devs however, took this and spun it into an event of some sort. Again, if I recall correctly.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ghostlight posted:

Basic tasks like questing, running dungeons or otherwise exploring the other 99% of the game's landscape that isn't fart-assing around in a major city.
Yeah but there's poo poo you can only do in a city, like auction house stuff. If they had the cities locked down for hours, that'd be a huge pain.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

trescoole posted:

If I recall correctly, the blizz plague was a bug missed by the devs, and when players who got infected with the disease left the dungeon they infected the general population.

The devs however, took this and spun it into an event of some sort. Again, if I recall correctly.

Sort of

http://www.wowwiki.com/Scourge_Invasion

It was the best event that ever happened in WoW and whine dumb idiots have made it so we'll never get one like it again :smith:

Scroll down to "Zombie Infestation"

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

We're all talking about two completely separate events.

Corrupted Blood was a boss debuff that people found a way to take back to town, and it mass killed everyone there. This was an exploit that was pretty quickly fixed.

Zombie Plague was the promotional event for an expansion, which was all intended, and disrupted cities and was tons of fun. And everyone raged about it because they couldn't idle in the auction house.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Endorph posted:

Yeah but there's poo poo you can only do in a city, like auction house stuff. If they had the cities locked down for hours, that'd be a huge pain.
There's dozens of trainers in alternative locations, mailboxes in every shanty town, and you can access the auction house from virtually any smart phone without even being logged in. On top of all that you can go "well poo poo" and take a break from the game without missing the action of being killed over and over in a place that does nothing but serve as a convenient hub for all the above.

vvv speaking of the current hack, not the previous events which weren't hacks

Ghostlight fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Oct 9, 2012

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Ghostlight posted:

There's dozens of trainers in alternative locations, mailboxes in every shanty town, and you can access the auction house from virtually any smart phone without even being logged in. On top of all that you can go "well poo poo" and take a break from the game without missing the action of being killed over and over in a place that does nothing but serve as a convenient hub for all the above.

To be fair, those options weren't available when these events were happening. That being said, any of these events were super limted time so it's not like waiting a few days to go back to standing around in the auction house in Stormwind cause you're too lazy to go to the Exodar is that big of a deal.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

Macaluso posted:

Sort of

http://www.wowwiki.com/Scourge_Invasion

It was the best event that ever happened in WoW and whine dumb idiots have made it so we'll never get one like it again :smith:

Scroll down to "Zombie Infestation"

That really was the best event. I got to take my Pally out and smite me some zombies and drink pubbie tears (though in reality I was the pubbie at the time, but that's not the point). You have never seen such bitching as when you kill a zombie and cleanse a guy that was trying to get infected on purpose.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
A lot of the rage also stemmed from the fact that servers were having issues that day, including the login servers basically making GBS threads themselves around the time this happened. I don't believe the servers were ever taken down (they hotfixed the exploit, which didn't require any restarts) but people started blaming the hacker for servers being down which lead to a lot of the rage.

Essentially, they "griefed" people by having extremely good timing.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

robodex posted:

A lot of the rage also stemmed from the fact that servers were having issues that day, including the login servers basically making GBS threads themselves around the time this happened. I don't believe the servers were ever taken down (they hotfixed the exploit, which didn't require any restarts) but people started blaming the hacker for servers being down which lead to a lot of the rage.

Essentially, they "griefed" people by having extremely good timing.

The hack kind of, in a roundabout way, led to the login servers being down.

After the hack became public, Blizzard took down the servers for maintenance in order to fix it. This sort of short server maintenance isn't uncommon. However, in the process, they somehow messed up the authenticator server.

Blizzard has this authentication system where you can sign up to have your account go through an extra step when you log in to ensure security. About once a week and whenever you try to log in from a different computer, Blizzard sends a code to either an app or a little receiver device that you have to type in in order to access your account. I think most players use this, since WoW accounts are really big targets for hackers.

Anyway, after the maintenance to fix the hack, the authenticator server wasn't working, so anyone with an authenticator attached to their account couldn't log in, and this persisted for about 2 hours during peak playing time for Americans and Europeans.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

The scourge invasion was the most (Blizzard-sanctioned) fun I ever had in the game.

While a scourge zombie I was able to talk to some alliance kid and I gave him ice cream on behalf of the horde :3:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Pakled posted:

After the hack became public, Blizzard took down the servers for maintenance in order to fix it. This sort of short server maintenance isn't uncommon. However, in the process, they somehow messed up the authenticator server.

Blizzard has this authentication system where you can sign up to have your account go through an extra step when you log in to ensure security. About once a week and whenever you try to log in from a different computer, Blizzard sends a code to either an app or a little receiver device that you have to type in in order to access your account. I think most players use this, since WoW accounts are really big targets for hackers.

Anyway, after the maintenance to fix the hack, the authenticator server wasn't working, so anyone with an authenticator attached to their account couldn't log in, and this persisted for about 2 hours during peak playing time for Americans and Europeans.
I think what they messed up was the authentication server(s).

The thing which checks "Yes, this is an account which has World of Warcraft attached and is in good standing", rather than specifically the authenticators.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

Pakled posted:

Not exactly related to griefing but I just want to clarify that this code is not sent by Blizzard to an app or a device. It is generated from a seed or private key and the current time on the device or app that Blizzard provided when you got it setup with Blizzard and if it matches what Blizzard thinks the code (because they have the public key or the seed) is then you are authenticated. The app and receiver are totally offline and are not connected to anything. You can set these kinds of things up for many banks, your Google account, or more.

More info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Security_token

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

I'd like to think that it was done on a in house scenario.

"Bob. This game is dead. We should really putting time and efforts into a world of Starcraft or something."

"YOU SHOW ME THAT THE GAME IS DEAD FIRST! PROOOVE IT!"

* enters key strokes*

"Bob, Azeroth is dyin. Right now :smug:

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
Speaking of dead games, Chromehounds was an amazing game to grief in. For those who never tried it, it was Armored Core on steroids - you could jam robot parts together like legos and force a number of mechanical abominations to stagger around the battlefield with immersive physics. I joined late in the game's life, and had none of the expensive parts required to make one of the 'standard' builds, so I decided to make SmokeBot.

In Chromehounds, you could play missions for persistent territories against AI or other teams, or join quick one-off multiplayer deathmatches. In deathmatch you would rarely see any of the more specialized builds like artillery, mobile radar or scouts, rather a procession of generic bipedal or tank-tracked builds using what were considered to be the best parts. Among the impressive array of weaponry available in Chromehounds were mortars, which launched shells at medium range at a very high ballistic angle, and mine dispensers. Mines were extremely difficult to notice (moreso because they were rarely used, so no one looked out for them) and dealt heavy damage to your Hound's chassis. Lose your chassis and you are slowed to a crawl and any further leg damage goes to your cockpit, leaving you extremely vulnerable.

Now, the reason that mortars weren't popular was that they were hard to get the hang of aiming. However, a few specialty types fired smoke rounds rather than explosive. I chose the fastest wheeled chassis in the game, attached a lightweight cockpit and placed a pair layers on either side. I then used the remainder of my chassis' weight allowance to bolt on as many smoke launchers as I could, facing outwards in all directions. The last piece was a thermal sensor mounted on top of the cockpit. This was SmokeBot.

Remember how most players used the same bipedal legs for their Hounds? These legs were fairly balanced, but didn't have the quickest turn radius in the game. SmokeBot was fragile, but its high speed let it circle enemy Hounds faster than they could spin to fire back. Once behind, I would deploy a smoke screen the size of a football field and leave several patches of mines around the enemy. Since I had a thermal sensor and almost no other players did, it left them blind while I merrily drove away. This left the enemy blind, crippled and immobilized for fear of hitting more mines and destroying their cockpit. Even better, since the smoke mortars had a good amount of ammunition and decent fire rate I could leave smoke over large parts of the map, causing massive lag and making it even harder to spot mines. The amount of rage SmokeBot received in multiplayer lobbies was hysterical.

Wild T fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Oct 14, 2012

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Man, Chromehounds was hella fun. I sometimes miss it. :(

Oppenheimer
Dec 26, 2011

by Smythe
I got it after the servers shutdown. Now I feel like I missed out, a full team of smokebots would be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Oppenheimer posted:

I got it after the servers shutdown. Now I feel like I missed out, a full team of smokebots would be great.
How's the single-player as the sole component?

• Locked thread