Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

I finally got a field kit for my stackshot, as well as a stable tripod. It was pretty cold today but I managed to find some interesting stuff to shoot. Sadly I screwed up most of it because I have little experience using a flash with macro.

This came out pretty neat though (it's a roughly 1cm x 1cm piece of old tree):

There's a ghost bug in the right side of the picture that must have shown up in a few of the 30 stacked shots taken to make this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

InternetJunky posted:

I finally got a field kit for my stackshot, as well as a stable tripod. It was pretty cold today but I managed to find some interesting stuff to shoot. Sadly I screwed up most of it because I have little experience using a flash with macro.

This came out pretty neat though (it's a roughly 1cm x 1cm piece of old tree):

There's a ghost bug in the right side of the picture that must have shown up in a few of the 30 stacked shots taken to make this.

That is really cool. Any way you can make the bug show up all the way or get rid of it all together? It is kind of distracting now that I see it. The only other critique I have is that it seems kind of flat.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Atticus_1354 posted:

That is really cool. Any way you can make the bug show up all the way or get rid of it all together? It is kind of distracting now that I see it. The only other critique I have is that it seems kind of flat.
Unfortunately I deleted my original shots after performing the focus stacking so the bug is there to stay. Post-processing is problematic for these types of shots because you can't focus stack RAWs (at least I haven't found a way) so I shoot JPGs and there's only so much I can change in post.

Here's one more shot from yesterday, the underside of a tree fungus:

Here's my setup:

Rovasti
Aug 20, 2004
Wild boar weights two hundred kilometers and eats boiled potatoes

InternetJunky posted:

Unfortunately I deleted my original shots after performing the focus stacking so the bug is there to stay. Post-processing is problematic for these types of shots because you can't focus stack RAWs (at least I haven't found a way) so I shoot JPGs and there's only so much I can change in post.

At least with Helicon Focus you can use RAWs.

And why do you delete originals :confused:

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Rovasti posted:

At least with Helicon Focus you can use RAWs.

And why do you delete originals :confused:
Thanks for the link. I'll give this software a try.

If I don't delete originals I end up with unmanageable photo folders. Yesterday I ended up with about 25 final shots, but that was nearly 1000 source images.

Rovasti
Aug 20, 2004
Wild boar weights two hundred kilometers and eats boiled potatoes
Probably one of the last bugs for this year. Winter is coming, so I have to come up with something else to shoot.

Kärpänen 12 by Sami Kaukolinna, on Flickr

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

InternetJunky posted:

Here's my setup:

That looks like fun, but also looks like a huge pain in the rear end to haul around.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

InternetJunky posted:

Thanks for the link. I'll give this software a try.

If I don't delete originals I end up with unmanageable photo folders. Yesterday I ended up with about 25 final shots, but that was nearly 1000 source images.

Harddrive space is cheap.

Your setup is very cool, thanks for showing.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
Tell me about macro focusing rails.

Is it an exercise in frustration to buy a cheapish eBay one? If not, which one(s) should I be looking at? I use a 1D, sometimes with a 70-200, so I'd have a decent amount of weight on it. I have a good tripod and ball head already.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

dakana posted:

Tell me about macro focusing rails.

Is it an exercise in frustration to buy a cheapish eBay one? If not, which one(s) should I be looking at? I use a 1D, sometimes with a 70-200, so I'd have a decent amount of weight on it. I have a good tripod and ball head already.

The Velbon Super Mag Slider is the one slider that I saw recommended most often when I was doing my research for a slider.

The other options I considered were the Manfrotto 454 slider and the Kirk focusing rail.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

alkanphel posted:

The other options I considered were the Manfrotto 454 slider

I like the price on that Manfrotto. That puts it in the realm of possibilities for me. Anyone have hands on with it?

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Atticus_1354 posted:

I like the price on that Manfrotto. That puts it in the realm of possibilities for me. Anyone have hands on with it?

I actually tried it out for a macro session, didn't like it because it had too much play if you didn't screw down the locking nut tightly. That got tedious fast for me because when you do 1:1 or 2:1 macro, even a small shift in the entire sliding plate cause by screwing the locking nut will move your focus to somewhere else, so there was way too much fiddling. A geardrive like the Velbon was much better.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

I went out for a walk again today with my mobile setup. I found some sluggish bugs that I thought were cooperating, but when I tried to stack the images it was clear they had moved a bit.

Oh well, still got some fun shots out of the attempts:

Is there an easy to way to modify a series of images so that the exposures match on all of them? I shot a whole series of shots in Av mode without realising it and each exposure came out slightly different. This is making my stacking software go nuts.

fartmanteau
Mar 15, 2007

I was playing with some old glass today. Sharpness was never to be expected, but I'm quite happy with the results.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I've been playing around with an old 50mm lens and a reversing ring. Trying to capture moving fish in focus is challenging! I could definitely use some better lighting, and macro really captures all the scratches and imperfections in my 15 year old tank.

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Wool Carder Bee

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

New favorite macro setup. 75mm f/4.5 pentax 67 lens reverse mounted via a stack of step down rings. Seems to give a real nice magnification ratio while still having a good ~6 " focus distance.

Some quick test shots using some unwilling subjects (all uncropped).

e. just shot a ruler, it's almost exactly 1:1 magnification.

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Nov 3, 2012

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I've got to figure out a lighting solution. Bright, direct sun is absolutely necessary for me and macro at the moment.

Queens Domain 41 by Execudork, on Flickr

Queens Domain 58 by Execudork, on Flickr

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

ExecuDork posted:

I've got to figure out a lighting solution. Bright, direct sun is absolutely necessary for me and macro at the moment.
18 pages of ideas

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

DSC_0307.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
That's not pi...

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

big scary monsters posted:

That's not pi...

it's close enough for most things

goattrails
Nov 27, 2009

Ride the frog, baby!
My entry to the November photo contest is a macro, which means I'm also posting it here:

Bubble saturation by br.leach, on Flickr

Eeek
Mar 1, 2003

Untitled by Eeek5127, on Flickr

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Flowers and bees.

Backyard Macro after walk 1 by Execudork, on Flickr

Backyard Macro after walk 2 by Execudork, on Flickr

Backyard Macro after walk 7 by Execudork, on Flickr

doodle_duck_dandy
Sep 20, 2006

DSC_0642 by HelloWorldEp1, on Flickr

1859 6d Chalon,

macro captured in a single shot with D800 f/8 105mm AF-D, compressed between two 0.1mm optical glass plates, lit from 4 sides through diffusion sheets with desk lamps.

no extension tubes so nearly full frame, detail on the original is very revealing.

new thing I am working on.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

you ever look at a flame and go "man, i should macro that poo poo"

DSC_0686.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

DSC_0688.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

DSC_0675.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ha, that's pretty sweet. Very otherworldly—especially since the flames themselves aren't super noticeable.

doodle_duck_dandy
Sep 20, 2006
Film:

Richmond05 by HelloWorldEp1, on Flickr

Richmond04 by HelloWorldEp1, on Flickr

Digital:

Ice on Bark by HelloWorldEp1, on Flickr

Fern by HelloWorldEp1, on Flickr

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

I am become Dwarf, the destroyer of cats.

Mr. Despair posted:

you ever look at a flame and go "man, i should macro that poo poo"

DSC_0688.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

They look like mini mushroom clouds, really interesting macro!

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Deadly Australian Hymenoptera!

SD 109 Southernmost 80 by Execudork, on Flickr

Bugfight!

SD 109 Southernmost 86 by Execudork, on Flickr

Another Bugfight!

SD 109 Southernmost 97 by Execudork, on Flickr

Mosquito

SD 109 Southernmost 107 by Execudork, on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Shameless promotion of some gear for sale, including:

the Canon 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro

RPS macro ring flash for Canon.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Reading those this thread again has motivated me to bust out my C/Y Zeiss 60mm macro lens and get crackin'!

Here's an oldy:

Eeek
Mar 1, 2003

Untitled by Eeek5127, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

BG 12-08 by alkanphel, on Flickr

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

SD 110 Tasmanian Highlands 43 by Execudork, on Flickr

SD 110 Tasmanian Highlands 46 by Execudork, on Flickr

SD 110 Tasmanian Highlands 47 by Execudork, on Flickr

Begby
Apr 7, 2005

Light saber? Check. Black boots? Check. Codpiece? Check. He's more machine than kid now.
Ok, so I have a 50mm f1.4 camera lens, an t1a, and a 270ex flash. My buddy gave me some extension tubes and this canon flash shoe thing that makes it so the flash is not mounted on the camera.

I would like to setup some sort of quick and dirty hack rig to mount my flash and then maybe make a diffuser out of a milk jug or something? Any ideas?

Cheap as hell is key as I had to really put the charm on to my wife to get the money for this lens and I don't think she would be keen on my dropping a few bills on crap for "spider portraits".

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Begby posted:

Ok, so I have a 50mm f1.4 camera lens, an t1a, and a 270ex flash. My buddy gave me some extension tubes and this canon flash shoe thing that makes it so the flash is not mounted on the camera.

I would like to setup some sort of quick and dirty hack rig to mount my flash and then maybe make a diffuser out of a milk jug or something? Any ideas?

Cheap as hell is key as I had to really put the charm on to my wife to get the money for this lens and I don't think she would be keen on my dropping a few bills on crap for "spider portraits".

I made a diffuser out of drawer liner and velcro, and it's worked pretty well I think. Not sure if it would have the surface area of a milk jug but the advantage is you can fold it up and put it in your gear bag more easily.

If your "flash shoe thing" doesn't include a ttl flash cord to connect the flash to the hotshoe, you'll need to get that, but they are pretty cheap.

Begby
Apr 7, 2005

Light saber? Check. Black boots? Check. Codpiece? Check. He's more machine than kid now.

BetterLekNextTime posted:

I made a diffuser out of drawer liner and velcro, and it's worked pretty well I think. Not sure if it would have the surface area of a milk jug but the advantage is you can fold it up and put it in your gear bag more easily.

If your "flash shoe thing" doesn't include a ttl flash cord to connect the flash to the hotshoe, you'll need to get that, but they are pretty cheap.

Oh sweet, thats pretty cool, I have lots of velcro I can use. I'll give that a try

It does have a cord that goes from the shoe to the flash, it flashes when it is connected if thats what you mean (is that what you mean?) This is what I have

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Canon+-+OC-E3+Off-Camera+Shoe+Cord+for+Most+Canon+EOS+Digital+Cameras/8815473.p?id=1206749661286&skuId=8815473

The other problem I have is trying to mount the flash onto the camera somehow so that it is closer to the subject (as the shoe cord doesn't have any sort of mount or stand). All the aftermarket doodads appear to be pretty pricy. I would be happy with something built out of popsicle sticks as long as it was stable and I didn't have to glue something onto my lens or what not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I have this

It's not home-made but not too expensive. You could probably rig something up like this with a trip to the hardware store.

I usually use it with just one arm for the flash. I've done a little bit of playing with clipping a sheet of white paper to the second arm like a little reflector, but haven't spent the time to make this worthwhile yet.

edit- yeah- that cord is what I mean.

BetterLekNextTime fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Dec 20, 2012