Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

quote:

Tightfisted atheist wiki participants

I read this recently at a wiki inhabited by many tightfisted atheists:

"That leaves us in a bit of a conundrum. Doing nothing will mean that our community is now "capped" at what it can support and further growth can not be supported. It means relying on technical issues and slow response to drive down or drive away additional traffic. This keeps our "costs" the same but is not ideal, and may ultimately be a destructive path to take. But doing something requires some major changes." See: Atheism and uncharitableness

What to do, what to do! How about a paywall like the liberals at the New York Times are doing? That wouldn't work. Who would pay to view that website? Nobody! It doesn't even have a Wikipedia article on it despite the fact that Wikipedia has a large, liberal, atheist contingent. Conservative 03:23, 8 October 2012 (EDT)

I don't even know what he's talking about, but the :smug: is just awesome.

God drat those Lieberals at the New York Times charging for their service in a capitalistic market. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!

sicarius posted:

You do realize that raising gas prices would hurt so many lower and middle class people that's it's absurd right, while doing almost nothing to the upper-middle to upper class folks who cruise around in their gas-guzzling SUVs.

I have plenty of 20 and 30-something friends who would go straight from "doing okay" to "struggling" if fuel prices went too terribly much higher. Not everyone lives in a place where riding a bike to work is a reasonable choice. To say nothing to the impact it would have on the cost of subsistence goods.

You do realise I was joking, right? In any case, it won't be the president who whacks up the fuel prices, it'll be the Conservapedians' precious free market upping the cost in response to gas guzzlers not reducing their fuel usage. Supply and demand, bitches.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
Sorry that this is horrible, literally just (barely) learned how to use photoshop to do this, but I couldn't resist.

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

The regeneration is failing! Hooooo...
Are there any "true" conspiracy nuts on Conservapedia? Like, "The Jewish led Illuminati lizards are oppressing us." Conspiracy nuts, not just the "Liberals everywhere" ones.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

Sorry that this is horrible, literally just (barely) learned how to use photoshop to do this, but I couldn't resist.

First food stamps, now tramp stamps.

sicarius
Dec 12, 2002

In brightest day,
In blackest night,
My smugface makes,
women wet....

That's how it goes, right?

Daktar posted:

You do realise I was joking, right?

Nope. I thought you were just being ragey because you rode a bike and were feeling all :smug: about it.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Daktar posted:

You do realise I was joking, right? In any case, it won't be the president who whacks up the fuel prices, it'll be the Conservapedians' precious free market upping the cost in response to gas guzzlers not reducing their fuel usage. Supply and demand, bitches.

While you were obviously joking about the "president turning it up to 11" you did seem serious about wanting gas prices to punish SUV drivers though.

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

You know a lot of conservative Christians believe you shouldn't adopt because of the sins of the parents...

So who's going to adopt the otherwise aborted children?

sicarius
Dec 12, 2002

In brightest day,
In blackest night,
My smugface makes,
women wet....

Mind Loving Owl posted:

You know a lot of conservative Christians believe you shouldn't adopt because of the sins of the parents...

Source for this? I live in Bible-land and have never once heard this. If this is something people believe it's got to be the tiniest majority.

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

Maybe I'm confusing the "mainstream" with Quiverfull again. They're kind of hard to discern.

Mind Loving Owl fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Oct 15, 2012

sicarius
Dec 12, 2002

In brightest day,
In blackest night,
My smugface makes,
women wet....

Mind Loving Owl posted:

Maybe I'm confusing the "mainstream" with Quiverfall again. They're kind of hard to discern.

Possibly. I live in the buckle of the Bible belt and I don't think I've ever really heard people slander adoption.

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

Do know there's enough of it for Wikipedia's adoption page (last time I checked) to have a "criticism of adoption" section, with links.

sicarius
Dec 12, 2002

In brightest day,
In blackest night,
My smugface makes,
women wet....

Mind Loving Owl posted:

Do know there's enough of it for Wikipedia's adoption page (last time I checked) to have a "criticism of adoption" section, with links.

Just checked and there's nothing on the Wikipedia adoption page that indicates that any negative opinions of adoption stem from Christianity any more than they stem from "people not understanding adoption." I'm not trying to defend them here, but honestly what you said sounds like poo poo Conservapedia says about traditionally liberal groups.

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

My apologies then. Though I do know at least one sect that does.

Still sorry for generalizing.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007
I just had one of my fellow Singaporeans cite conservapedia in a facebook argument about evolution, which is making me despair. I knew slimy megachurch pastors were making huge inroads, but I didn't realize this particular bit of idiocy had spread that far.

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

thekeeshman posted:

I just had one of my fellow Singaporeans cite conservapedia in a facebook argument about evolution, which is making me despair. I knew slimy megachurch pastors were making huge inroads, but I didn't realize this particular bit of idiocy had spread that far.

Just show Conservapedia's awful opinions on women or homosexuality to show how credible it actually is (not).

Or this nice page:

http://www.conservapedia.com/Essay:_Does_Richard_Dawkins_have_machismo%3F

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!

Conservapedia posted:

Global warming ended 16 years ago. And certain people want to keep a lid on it: [6]

Conservapedia just admitted global warming was real. They are crumbling!

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Mitchicon posted:

Just show Conservapedia's awful opinions on women or homosexuality to show how credible it actually is (not).

Or this nice page:

How about a page about how women don't like to date men who are homosexuals. That might convince em.

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

RagnarokAngel posted:

How about a page about how women don't like to date men who are homosexuals. That might convince em.

Wait, does this actually exist?

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

colonelslime posted:

I don't even know what he's talking about, but the :smug: is just awesome.

RationalWiki, I think.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Mitchicon posted:

Or this nice page:

That might make them agree even more. Just show them how much conservapedia hates China.

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

I pity the son of one of these guys who likes playing with dolls or whatever.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

You have a gift.

Mind Loving Owl posted:

I pity the son of one of these guys who likes playing with dolls or whatever.

The only way I could see that ending is severe identity and mental issues for life. It's a depressing thought that there are kids who've had to put up with it :smith:

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

Anyone renember that kid Andy "teaches" that got shot down for suggesting his generation isn't mentally retarded compared to the Godly Christians (and Jews, but only until Jesus) Of Yore?

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Mind Loving Owl posted:

Anyone renember that kid Andy "teaches" that got shot down for suggesting his generation isn't mentally retarded compared to the Godly Christians (and Jews, but only until Jesus) Of Yore?

This?

quote:

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

Andy says language "devolves" rather than improves, and he'll probably cite something like rap lyrics as evidence, while at the same time arguing that language is becoming more conservative with his bullshit list of "new conservative words." There is no :psyduck: big enough.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Binowru posted:

Andy says language "devolves" rather than improves, and he'll probably cite something like rap lyrics as evidence, while at the same time arguing that language is becoming more conservative with his bullshit list of "new conservative words." There is no :psyduck: big enough.

Only liberal words follow the Second Law of Thermodynamics!

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

:tizzy: The kid did what was instructed for H4 you loving rear end in a top hat! He wrote something about the lecture.

In a normal class, those type of questions get marked right if you can support your argument; it doesn't matter if the teacher disagrees with it, as long as you can answer the question and make a sound argument you've done what was asked. Why even loving ask those questions of only one answer is "right"?

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.
I like how he asks a question about people's IQs in different time periods as though that were in some way a coherent question.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

fade5 posted:

:tizzy: The kid did what was instructed for H4 you loving rear end in a top hat! He wrote something about the lecture.

In a normal class, those type of questions get marked right if you can support your argument; it doesn't matter if the teacher disagrees with it, as long as you can answer the question and make a sound argument you've done what was asked. Why even loving ask those questions of only one answer is "right"?
Logic = Agreeing with Andy.

If you don't agree with him (agreeing with him may or may not involve reading his mind), you are talking incoherent nonsense. Just another part of his inability to grasp evidence or anything close to reasonable argument. Remember, this is a guy whose idea of reality begins and ends with "IF I LIKE IT, IT'S CONSERVATIVE; OTHERWISE, IT'S LIBERAL."

Ghost of Reagan Past fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Oct 16, 2012

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
My favorite part of that test snippet is how much of a snide jackass he comes off as. "How much of 'modern science' did you develop, or do you even understand?" Who the gently caress says something like that to a kid trying to answer a test question?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

fade5 posted:

Reminder that he and who he represents are considered respected figures in the homeschooling, as if you needed more reason to know that poo poo is nothing but trash.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.
I think Conservapedia is really ramping up the crazy as the election nears. I was just on their Barack Obama page, and the top image has changed from his presidential portrait to the picture of him wearing a turban in Indonesia.

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

How are people allowed to teach kids like this? Bet that kid has a major self esteem problem now "I can never be as smart as my parents..."

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I think most kids think they're smarter than their parents until they're about 20something and then they start thinking they are again eventually.

It's inescapable, really.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mind Loving Owl posted:

How are people allowed to teach kids like this? Bet that kid has a major self esteem problem now "I can never be as smart as my parents..."

Homeschoolers are people who take kids away from professionals to teach them everything themselves with no qualifications but a packet from the internet, usually because they think the schools will turn them gay or teach them that blacks are human.

These are not people who care about the well-being of children.

sicarius
Dec 12, 2002

In brightest day,
In blackest night,
My smugface makes,
women wet....

Glitterbomber posted:

Homeschoolers are people who take kids away from professionals to teach them everything themselves with no qualifications but a packet from the internet, usually because they think the schools will turn them gay or teach them that blacks are human.

These are not people who care about the well-being of children.

There are a handful of homeschoolers who aren't this. They're the minority though. My second cousin is homeschooled because he's autistic and his mother (my cousin) prefers to do it this way than send him to an expensive, specialized school.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 41 minutes!

sicarius posted:

There are a handful of homeschoolers who aren't this. They're the minority though. My second cousin is homeschooled because he's autistic and his mother (my cousin) prefers to do it this way than send him to an expensive, specialized school.

I know some young adults that were home schooled, but they were home schooled using a professional tutor who used materials beyond what the classroom had available, which was the whole point.

I wonder if there are any parents who go "i don't want to send my kid to public school, I'm going to home school them" and then not intending to do it, end up falling down Andy's rabbit hole of crazy.

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

Does school by correspondence count? I do it because the High School here is dire. Not religiously based or anything (though my family is Catholic, but that didn't factor in).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Guilty Spork posted:

I like how he asks a question about people's IQs in different time periods as though that were in some way a coherent question.

It's also kinda funny because IQ has been increasing since testing has been done.

• Locked thread