Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ravarek
Apr 25, 2004

Solid gold dipes:
E'ry day I'm hustlin'.
Does anyone know where else I can find Enterprise Value numbers for companies besides Yahoo! Finance? I like to have multiple sources for data so I can ensure at least some level of accuracy in the numbers I'm using for valuation purposes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.
What can I expect to happen to Sprint stock tomorrow morning?

http://www.cnbc.com/id/49408877

Should I set up a limit sell price right now? I bought in initially around $4.75 to hold long but wouldn't mind getting out on a spike.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

What can I expect to happen to Sprint stock tomorrow morning?

http://www.cnbc.com/id/49408877

Should I set up a limit sell price right now? I bought in initially around $4.75 to hold long but wouldn't mind getting out on a spike.

You can expect it to go up to $7.30 a share? Is this a trick question.

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

@dcurban1: #FlyersTalk @28CGiroux and @Hartsy19 What do the C and A mean to you? We as fans expect more.Are you leaders or do you just make funny vids

@dcurban1: #flyerstalk @28CGiroux @Hartsy19 The A and the C are supposed to mean something. Leadership not stock quotes to reporters. Time to lead.
It may be short lived since the Softbank is buying new shares so your holdings are being diluted.

Since the new shares are valued at $5.25 I am thinking you might have a decent opportunity to sell at $7.30 and then buy the shares back at $5.25.

nebby
Dec 21, 2000
resident mog

Ravarek posted:

Does anyone know where else I can find Enterprise Value numbers for companies besides Yahoo! Finance? I like to have multiple sources for data so I can ensure at least some level of accuracy in the numbers I'm using for valuation purposes.
ycharts has it, don't think you need to subscribe to see it.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
I would probably sell and take the profits. Would it be a decent idea to buy some SoftBank stock as their price tanked pretty hard due to the news, more than it probably should have.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

Elephanthead posted:

You can expect it to go up to $7.30 a share? Is this a trick question.

It was my understanding that a simple retail investor like me wouldn't be able to get out at the $7.30 a share price that they're buying from shareholders at. I always thought any good news like that would be eaten up in milliseconds by major corporate traders and banks and stuff.

Ravarek
Apr 25, 2004

Solid gold dipes:
E'ry day I'm hustlin'.

nebby posted:

ycharts has it, don't think you need to subscribe to see it.

Thanks man. I think I have a new favorite site.

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

@dcurban1: #FlyersTalk @28CGiroux and @Hartsy19 What do the C and A mean to you? We as fans expect more.Are you leaders or do you just make funny vids

@dcurban1: #flyerstalk @28CGiroux @Hartsy19 The A and the C are supposed to mean something. Leadership not stock quotes to reporters. Time to lead.

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

It was my understanding that a simple retail investor like me wouldn't be able to get out at the $7.30 a share price that they're buying from shareholders at. I always thought any good news like that would be eaten up in milliseconds by major corporate traders and banks and stuff.

Put in a day order to sell at $7.3 and see what happens.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/softbank-nears-20-billion-deal-023105818.html

Welp, congratulations on your 65% pop Sprint shareholders.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
Sprint is only up about 3% in pre-market trading this morning.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

FlashBangBob posted:

Sprint is only up about 3% in pre-market trading this morning.

I doubled my position this morning, was shocked to see pre-market only up 2% as opposed to 10-15%. Could be a bad sign I think with the dilution, but I am still confident long term in Sprint. I thought for sure there'd be a short squeeze as well.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
So what does it mean that Sprint just got bought?

I mean, is there anything in their business model that's changing or something? Are they putting in new management or merging or selling patents or anything?

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

COUNTIN THE BILLIES posted:

And yet the stock price has done nothing in 10 years. http://tinyurl.com/8hzexsw

I don't like entwining narratives with investing but I think the best thing Balmer has done was help develop .Net and that's it.

Would love to see an Icahn or Akman, an activist investor, get involved with MSFT...

Gates, Allen and Co. control too much of the company for an activist investor to get any traction.

I think someone hit it on the head when they said MSFT still to afraid of a big lawsuit due to their overwhelming market share to really bundle things.

They have of course also been busy patient trolling the crap out of everyone (and winning)to the point where Google is now on their list.

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
The fact that Gates and Balmer don't give a gently caress what shareholders think is the best thing about the company, not the worst.

Medikit
Dec 31, 2002

que lástima
I purchased TXN (Texas Instruments) a few weeks ago with the intention to go long on it. Today the stock is up due to the news that Amazon may purchase Texas Instruments. Any advice on how to ride out a potential acquisition? I wasn't really looking for very much action, I mainly just wanted a nice place to keep my money and earn some dividends while quantitative easing takes place. It's only up 3% today by anticipate this may increase and could also drop significantly if it is called off.

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

Sell. Amazon buying TI is a bad rumor and makes no sense.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
I'm getting a little antsy on these mreits.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

TI is quite a good company without involving Amazon. I can't say if it is a good investment opportunity, but I respect the company, products and support staff very much.

I have no idea why Amazon would want to buy TI (or why TI would want to be bought, considering they have been doing acquisitions of their own).

nebby
Dec 21, 2000
resident mog
amazon is just looking to buy their mobile chip unit, not sure how much of the company that is.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet
I would sell TXN. Don't think they're especially great or anything.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
What the hell ARR?

Last week we were pushing $7.6x and today 6.90.

News of dividend cut was known last month and even then, it was producing a 14% payout. I just dont get it.

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

I think this is someone trying to dump their Amazon stock.

Eco RI
Nov 5, 2008

NOM NOM NOM OM NOM

Baddog posted:

I'm getting a little antsy on these mreits.

I just got stopped out of IVR today after it rose ~15% on the year, not including dividends. I'm staying out.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
Ouch. Well I would say people (or computers) are making major dumps of merits... duh, right? Well, where is this money going to?

Eco RI
Nov 5, 2008

NOM NOM NOM OM NOM

Turkeybone posted:

Ouch. Well I would say people (or computers) are making major dumps of merits... duh, right? Well, where is this money going to?

I was hoping you guys had an answer for that...

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
Guys, the rumor isn't that AMZN is going to purchase TXN, it's that they might purchase TXN's mobile chip arm which is UP FOR SALE and makes perfect sense for an AMZN acquisition as they use TXN chips in all their devices. TXN isn't going anywhere and AMZN won't be buying the entire company, nor is anyone suggesting that.

Ravarek
Apr 25, 2004

Solid gold dipes:
E'ry day I'm hustlin'.
What do you guys think of DELL? It looks attractively priced to me (based on P/E, P/FCF, and EV/EBITDA). Additionally, it looks like Dell is strategically moving more and more to the higher margin realm of Enterprise solutions. I don't really see the decline of the home PC really impacting Dell if they can manage this shift in good order. What other risks do you guys see here?

Ravarek fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Oct 16, 2012

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

Buying TI's mobile chip division because you use the chips is a horrible waste of resources unless you actually plan on plowing a lot of money into R&D.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

Ravarek posted:

I don't really see the decline of the home PC really impacting Dell if they can manage this shift in good order. What other risks do you guys see here?

There's the risk, and it's a pretty big one.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet
I'm reading Hedge Fund Wizards right now and it's really really good. I tried reading Alpha Masters and it was just okay. Highly recommended.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

evilwaldo posted:

Buying TI's mobile chip division because you use the chips is a horrible waste of resources unless you actually plan on plowing a lot of money into R&D.

They are pretty clearly pushing aggressively into the mobile/tablet space and want to carve out their own niche as opposed to being a commodity android tablet player, so I'm not sure how their intention to spend a lot on R&D would come as a surprise or ever be called into doubt. Not to mention the potential of high performing ARM chips in Amazon's cloud moving forward (it's not just about tablets). The rumor makes a lot of sense for a lot of reasons, though I don't necessarily see it happening.

I mean, Bezos delivered this letter like a year ago

http://www.businessinsider.com/why-i-jeff-bezos-keep-spending-billions-on-amazon-rd-2011-4

greasyhands fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Oct 16, 2012

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!

COUNTIN THE BILLIES posted:

I'm reading Hedge Fund Wizards right now and it's really really good. I tried reading Alpha Masters and it was just okay. Highly recommended.

Would I understand it? I'm a relatively smart guy who follows financial news in a shallow way. Not any kind of expert at all, but I know roughly what a credit default swap is, etc.

nebby
Dec 21, 2000
resident mog
I just finished working through Expected Returns. It's a beast, but is prob the most comprehensive book (by a long measure) I've read on modern financial theory wrt risk and return. For a lighter treatment of the same subject I suggest Jackass Investing.

edit: also best contrarian book I've read all year is The Missing Risk Premium

nebby fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Oct 16, 2012

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

nebby posted:

I just finished working through Expected Returns. It's a beast, but is prob the most comprehensive book (by a long measure) I've read on modern financial theory wrt risk and return. For a lighter treatment of the same subject I suggest Jackass Investing.

edit: also best contrarian book I've read all year is The Missing Risk Premium
From what I've read in the Amazon description, he's basically saying that momentum and value investing works. :confused:

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet

DancingMachine posted:

Would I understand it? I'm a relatively smart guy who follows financial news in a shallow way. Not any kind of expert at all, but I know roughly what a credit default swap is, etc.

Absolutely, most obscure terms are explained so you can follow along. But there is just a wealth of information in it that I could see learning something new each time you read it.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Can someone tell me wtf is happening to REITs?

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
I have no drat clue. AGNC is also down.

Someone in a chat forum I hang in speculated that because mortgage rates are even lower then that is killing the spread in much the same way if the feds were to raise interest rates from the bottom end it is now, of which they have stated they wont adjust until what, 2014/2015?

The spread just isn't as profitable now or something?

barbudo
Nov 8, 2010
WHO VOLUNTARILY GOES DAYS WITHOUT A SHOWER FOR NO REASON? DIS GUY

PLEASE SHOWER YOU GROSS FUCK
So, I temped for a company involved in pending litigation recently, and learned in the process it is probably a good idea to buy their stock. I have done some digging on the internet and found posts on message boards and in the comments sections on articles about the case, advising that the firm is likely to win their case. Is it still illegal or unethical for me to purchase their stock if that advice is available elsewhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KaiserBen
Aug 11, 2007
Not sure about the REITs, but the oil trusts (BPT in particular) are getting hammered too. Not sure why, can't find anything on the news.