Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Victorkm posted:

Welp I bit the bullet and started playing LoTJ last night. Joined a clan but haven't really decided where I would take the character

I've just recently rerolled there, been playing a bit! Account name is piL of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
My account name is Zeromus on there, or for October I guess it's Zombiemus.

Anyhow, I am Zarkonian, the owner of Zarkonian Tech. My clan is good for straight up RP and learning about engineering, mostly. If you're new to the game though, I 100% recommend just joining a major clan.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
I got a question about LOTJ:

Have they eased the science requirements any for engineering in particular?

The first few times I played it was a neat mechanic, but now it's like, ugh.

And since I have a healthy amount of points banked, I can start with max science and go right to studying and theorizing if need be.

I just don't understand how they don't see it as a giant turnoff to new players doing all that pondering and studying.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

No, not really. However, there's a quest on Ord Mantell that'll let you level up science quickly and kind of teach you to explore each planet. It's near the Jazzemina's landing pad. I never, ever recommend spending points on levels. Every single class has multiple ways to level it up so if you're bored spamming a skill or whatever there's probably a quest out there unless it's diplomacy. Diplomacy quests keep getting added and removed and it's the worst class.

As far as leveling sciences goes, since we're in era 3 there's quite a few teachers out there that can just teach you up to 97% so you only need to do the last few %s in each one.

Big Bowie Bonanza fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Oct 13, 2012

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.
I also joined the LOTJ crowd for a whirl. Though this is scary with the RP and permadeath and anonymous PCs. :ohdear:

Already seeing some nice touches, though. I like that Makeclothing is a skill available to everyone. Rewards me for obsessively playing dress-up with a new character.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Don't be too scared about the whole permdeath thing. It doesn't happen that often because of the amount of rules regarding killing other players. I will say to make sure that occasionally you should check your score for the "Safe(X)" token because occasionally you can be killed by environmental hazards. Last timeline, the hidden Jedi planet had a lake that people could drown in. An Imperial tailed me there, the only person to ever do it, and accidentally drowned in the lake before he could gather any intel.

Also, if somebody comes up and tries to pick a fight with you, they are looking to perm somebody. It doesn't happen often, but occasionally does.

I'd recommend just getting used to the RP, get to know some players, as a whole we are pretty inclusive. Like I've said before, being a loner on LOTJ isn't that fun.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Yeah don't be scared about the RP just try to pick a character and stick to it is all. I've seen some amazingly dedicated RP from people even in the most mundane of situations. And people will carry you along and help pick up the slack if you're not totally comfortable, but it's more fun to jump in.

And if you RP consistently and just try to be around for the events going on, you'll eventually get sucked into some kind of intrigue or another.

EDIT:
Oh and use the "think" command to help you keep track of things. If you jump into a big clan and get going, you may meet a bunch of people, so use "think <message>" to record IC thoughts, if someone rubs you the wrong way, record it as a thought and remember it, and recapture that mood next time you interact with them.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

-Troika- posted:

Are you also the one that made parrots keep talking when billygoated? Because that owned. The only way to get rid of them was to drink bleach.

For those unfamiliar with hellmoo, billygoat was a mutation that let a player eat almost anything he could pick up.

Yes, that was me. I also made billygoat itself, which wasn't so much a mutation as it was a trolling mechanism.

tarabluh
Jun 29, 2012
So, are there people still on Hell? I haven't touched that in forever, but it was fairly fun as I remembered it. I just remember it split into two different hellmoo's, and sometime after that was where I stopped.

Thumbs Up Dude
Aug 25, 2006

tarabluh posted:

So, are there people still on Hell? I haven't touched that in forever, but it was fairly fun as I remembered it. I just remember it split into two different hellmoo's, and sometime after that was where I stopped.

Hate is pretty much dead, and hell is carebear to the max. At the first sight of doing anything that can even create some laughs or cause someone to lost some ~*PRECIOUS TEXT*~ on hell, you'll be banned outright (even walking into someone's home or HQ through their open door is bannable).

But there's always Wayfar 1444.

tarabluh
Jun 29, 2012

Thumbs Up Dude posted:

Hate is pretty much dead, and hell is carebear to the max. At the first sight of doing anything that can even create some laughs or cause someone to lost some ~*PRECIOUS TEXT*~ on hell, you'll be banned outright (even walking into someone's home or HQ through their open door is bannable).

But there's always Wayfar 1444.
That's pretty sad, actually. I had some good times on hell.

I'm looking at Wayfar 1444, it actually looks interesting, I'll give it a shot.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

LOTJ question. I rolled up a Naboo Slicer and I'm a bit disappointed with what I'm uncovering as my level maxes. In particular, it doesn't look like I can even master Slicing, which is sitting right now at 3/141. Is this a (relatively speaking) doomed character?

Also, is there a way to reroll the character while keeping the name? I noticed the suicide command, but it doesn't sound like it'd let me reuse the same name.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

Conskill posted:

LOTJ question. I rolled up a Naboo Slicer and I'm a bit disappointed with what I'm uncovering as my level maxes. In particular, it doesn't look like I can even master Slicing, which is sitting right now at 3/141. Is this a (relatively speaking) doomed character?

Also, is there a way to reroll the character while keeping the name? I noticed the suicide command, but it doesn't sound like it'd let me reuse the same name.

Reroll the same, no.

Have you trained all your stats up yet? Your main stats like STR DEX etc. affect your class maxes. Also you can get implants that further boost your stats beyond their natural max.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

I made a Leadership/Combat dude in LOTJ the other day and I have 150 max for both Leadership and Diplomacy. I got powerlevelled by some dude in my clan in about 15 minutes and now I'm really not sure how to advance besides roleplaying my way to the top of some organization.

Do skill percentages mean that much? I don't expect too much combat on this guy

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I boosted most of my stats to 18 in chargen, and the teacher at the noobler station won't raise them any higher. I'm not sure what the actual maxes are for any of the races, though.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Is there a thread/goon presence for Wayfar 1444? jumped in to have a look but I'm pretty lost.

Smarmy Coworker
May 10, 2008

by XyloJW

Haephastus posted:

I know it's not a real IDE. I just like it for text editing. Some people really hate MOO's built-in editor for some reason. That said, I would also like a MOO IDE. Maybe we someone should convince 0/Grunthawg while high he wants one.

I was making a Java MUD connector w/ MOO IDE attachment but I got bored and stopped after doing the connection part :(

dang

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Argh I cannot find a dude to train smuggling skills on LOTJ. Ive been all over dumb Nal Hutta. Found 2 trainers but neither would let me practice anything smuggler.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Did you take the ferry and look near the winter palace? A lot of people forget that place exists.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

FordPRefectLL posted:

Did you take the ferry and look near the winter palace? A lot of people forget that place exists.

Yeah I found a trainer in there but he said he couldn't train smuggler skills.

temp
Nov 10, 2011

Sintor posted:

Lithmeria is finally going live it seems. More combat/conflict focused than most IRE muds (NOT an IRE mud) but kinda follows the bal/eq part. Doesn't require a CS degree for curing and was fun in combat beta. It is RP-enforced, though.

I'm certainly going to give it a try, but my expectations are very low at the moment, what with it being a "wannabe IRE" MUD and all.

Krabkolash
Dec 7, 2006

With this hand I rolled 8d20

AND GOT 160.

temp posted:

I'm certainly going to give it a try, but my expectations are very low at the moment, what with it being a "wannabe IRE" MUD and all.

Its been up for all of half an hour since the 12th. They're working on it and expect it to be up today.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

Continuing LOTJ trip report:

The space simulation is fun and simple enough to grasp. The amount of customization through the Engineering profession continues to impress. ANSI is used garishly but I can forgive that. What little roleplay I've seen has been decent.

Unfortunately the OOC channel is giving me the impression these are people I probably won't get along with. From an Imm a few days ago comparing waking a "female" to disturbing a snake, to tonight's spat of "the terrorists were correct to bomb the US," these are hard MUDders to love.

Conskill fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Oct 19, 2012

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

OOC is a cesspool of typical internet racists/misogynists, just make fun of them.

Also, which imm said that out of curiosity?

Reicere
Nov 5, 2009

Not sooo looouuud!!!
Why is it that all star wars muds are ran nonsensically bad? Last time I tried one I didn't even make it through chargen.. and LOTJ doesn't even seem to want people to play it.

Last time, I had done my reading, picked out a race and all that jazz using the official(and frequently contradictory) on-site information. So I connect and start working through the questions, get to race, and what happens. The nice scientific race I chose had somehow became an alias for one of the app only warrior races... completely unreferenceable from any commands, even the help files

So today I try and give lotj a try, head to the site and am greeted with the least informative, most broken piece of poo poo... cant even be bothered to include a beginners guide, the connection guide is a dead link, the wiki link takes you to a login-walled "bug tracker" and there is no way to register on-site in order to see it. Literally the only thing you can learn about it is a short blurb and that they expect to get $950 a month in donations.

So, what I'm actually looking for is some excuse to "give it a chance" other than star wars!

Sair
May 11, 2007

field balm posted:

Is there a thread/goon presence for Wayfar 1444? jumped in to have a look but I'm pretty lost.

Last I heard, Wayfar was still being built, so I wouldn't worry too much.

A Misandrist Duck
Jun 13, 2005

by Fistgrrl

Reicere posted:

Last time, I had done my reading, picked out a race and all that jazz using the official(and frequently contradictory) on-site information. So I connect and start working through the questions, get to race, and what happens. The nice scientific race I chose had somehow became an alias for one of the app only warrior races... completely unreferenceable from any commands, even the help files

So today I try and give lotj a try, head to the site and am greeted with the least informative, most broken piece of poo poo... cant even be bothered to include a beginners guide, the connection guide is a dead link, the wiki link takes you to a login-walled "bug tracker" and there is no way to register on-site in order to see it. Literally the only thing you can learn about it is a short blurb and that they expect to get $950 a month in donations.

So, what I'm actually looking for is some excuse to "give it a chance" other than star wars!

I know exactly what you mean W/R/T that choosing a race/getting a wrong help file. Long story short, we removed it because it was a broken piece of poo poo, as you pointed out.

I had no idea the 'how to connect' page is dead, I will get that up and running tomorrow. It's actually a dual how to connect/how to play guide so two birds with one stone, at least.

The terrible 'have to log in' to read the wiki thing is a terrible attempt at a stopgag because we've had consistently terrible wiki spamming and I'm not good enough at wiki poo poo to fix it. I'll bug our webmaster when he's back from his business trip about a better solution.

And just as a side note, there is no way to register on-site. Website account is the same as your mud-side account which is made when you reach level 2.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I am super pro-newbie help so once the wiki for LOTJ does get fixed I am going to go on an updating spree. Hopefully it can be made public so we can get some decent documentation out there.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
How does time work in LotJ? I'm kind of curious because I was HUGELY into the expanded universe for a while, but I fell out of love when they started doing batty stupid poo poo with the Vong.

A Misandrist Duck
Jun 13, 2005

by Fistgrrl

tarepanda posted:

How does time work in LotJ? I'm kind of curious because I was HUGELY into the expanded universe for a while, but I fell out of love when they started doing batty stupid poo poo with the Vong.

If you're talking about where we're set in Star Wars time, we follow a rotating system of timelines and eras. Each timeline is made up up 3 eras (Old Republic, Galactic Empire, New Republic) that we cycle through, so we get to cover pretty much every area of Star Wars. A typical timeline lasts around two years.

I despise Vong and they will never be on LOTJ.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
What the heck is up with the login prompt styling? Why is it (E)nter a new character and (P)lease etc. That's just confusing because it was a text-based standard for hotkeys and I feel obligated to type E or P.

Edit: And it continues...

Also, no spaces after prompts?

Edit 2: No helpfile exists for twi'lek, Twi'lek, twilek, or Twilek... and there's no line break after the notice saying that no helpfile exists.

Edit 3: I'm really confused about creation. I got my stats, 20 points to allocate... maxed everything and I still have points left. What was the point.

Edit 4: The newbie motd says to look at the ACCOUNTS helpfile... which doesn't exist. However, there is a HELP ACCOUNT.

Edit 5: HELP RPC refers to Legend of the Jedi, which I feel like I've seen elsewhere... but other text refers to Legends of the Jedi.

Edit 6: HELP RULES: "players should't be afraid"

Sorry for being so nitpicky... but honestly, if a MUD's been around this long, these should not be issues.

tarepanda fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Oct 19, 2012

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

1: Can't really tell you about (most of) the decisions made regarding chargen, not full on staff member, more of a volunteer.

2: "Twilek" and "Twileks" work fine for me, not case sensitive.

3: That's broken. It was functional when the baseline for stats was 20, but at the beginning of this timeline it was changed to 18. The excess stat points are a result of that. There's not really any reason to ever used advanced char creation unless you're spending account points on levels or purchasing force. I've been lobbying to get that part removed for a while now, but the coder responsible for the stat changeover had a kid recently and hasn't been on at all.

4, 5, 6: If you've registered an account, please go to legendsofthejedi.com, log in, and report this stuff on the bug tracker. Walldo (A Misandrist Duck) is the only imm who sees this and I don't have the authority to edit help files.

The reason a lot of this exists is that stuff is constantly changing. The MUD has seen 15+ different coders so a lot of the codebase is assembled piecemeal. I'd love to get a lot of the help files straightened out, but I'd like to do it via the wiki so things can be immediately corrected by anyone who notices an error. I'd really like to see some kind of integration there, but that would be super open to abuse.

EDIT: Also, all the default prompts are incredibly horrible. Try this out:

prompt &zO&wOC &z[%B&z] &z<&w%g&z>%_&GH&gealth &G%h&z/&g%H &BM&bove &B%v&z/&b%V%_&zTone &w[&W%D&w] &zTime &w[&W%W&w] &zAmbience &w[&W%J&w] &zComlink &w[&W%k&w:&W%K&w]%_&z<&w%A&z>%_

VVVVVVVVVV Some of these problems were solved by switching off of lovely GMUD.

Big Bowie Bonanza fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Oct 19, 2012

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
WuFei Cenvax, Espionage Extraordinaire slily asks you 'Any luck with that
battery?'

Espionage? slily?

I'm... not impressed so far. Part of that is because I spent 5 minutes fighting with the MUD to figure out how the hell to go into the entrance I found by opening a curtain... which I couldn't look at or examine.

Edit: Tips have color leaks! Aggh.

And none of the mobs I've looked at have descriptions other than the mobs made to demonstrate descriptions.

tarepanda fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Oct 19, 2012

Conskill
May 7, 2007

FordPRefectLL posted:

OOC is a cesspool of typical internet racists/misogynists, just make fun of them.

Also, which imm said that out of curiosity?

Unfortunately I haven't been keeping logs (I guess I should start, if only to have more concrete things to share with the thread). I just remember that the misogynist comment came with an (IMM) tag in front, since that was what got my attention.

Edit:

quote:

EDIT: Also, all the default prompts are incredibly horrible. Try this out:

prompt &zO&wOC &z[%B&z] &z<&w%g&z>%_&GH&gealth &G%h&z/&g%H &BM&bove &B%v&z/&b%V%_&zTone &w[&W%D&w] &zTime &w[&W%W&w] &zAmbience &w[&W%J&w] &zComlink &w[&W%k&w:&W%K&w]%_&z<&w%A&z>%_

Oooh, I did not know about this command. After playing with it for a bit I think I have a good one to show as well. Based off the prompt above, rejiggered for slightly different colors and to only use one linebreak (because I prefer prompts to have as little vertical space as possible).

prompt &GH&gealth &G%h&z/&g%H &CM&cove &C%v&z/&c%V% &z<&w%A&z>%_&zOOC &w[%B&w] &z<&w%g&z> &zTone &w[&W%D&w] &zTime &w[&W%W&w] &zAmbience &w[&W%J&w] &zComlink &w[&W%k&w:&W%K&w]

Conskill fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Oct 19, 2012

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
FordPRefectLL, thanks for taking the time to show me around and listen to my gripes.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

tarepanda posted:

WuFei Cenvax, Espionage Extraordinaire slily asks you 'Any luck with that
battery?'

Espionage? slily?

I'm... not impressed so far. Part of that is because I spent 5 minutes fighting with the MUD to figure out how the hell to go into the entrance I found by opening a curtain... which I couldn't look at or examine.

Edit: Tips have color leaks! Aggh.

And none of the mobs I've looked at have descriptions other than the mobs made to demonstrate descriptions.

Yeah just about everything has color leaks I've noticed.

For mob descriptions you can write and submit them for extra points!

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

tarepanda posted:

FordPRefectLL, thanks for taking the time to show me around and listen to my gripes.

No problem. I know that the newbie school is a little rough on LOTJ, so I'm always happy to hop in and help people out.

Conskill posted:

Oooh, I did not know about this command. After playing with it for a bit I think I have a good one to show as well. Based off the prompt above, rejiggered for slightly different colors and to only use one linebreak (because I prefer prompts to have as little vertical space as possible).

prompt &GH&gealth &G%h&z/&g%H &CM&cove &C%v&z/&c%V% &z<&w%A&z>%_&zOOC &w[%B&w] &z<&w%g&z> &zTone &w[&W%D&w] &zTime &w[&W%W&w] &zAmbience &w[&W%J&w] &zComlink &w[&W%k&w:&W%K&w]

It's a nice edit, it just looks like you moved or took out the approached list, which will either make it look really awkward when you're in a room with 5-6 people or you just won't know who's trying to steal from you or backstab you.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

FordPRefectLL posted:

It's a nice edit, it just looks like you moved or took out the approached list, which will either make it look really awkward when you're in a room with 5-6 people or you just won't know who's trying to steal from you or backstab you.

Approached was put on the first line just after Movement. This, granted, gives it a bit less room than having a line to itself, which I might revert to your style if it becomes an issue.

A Misandrist Duck
Jun 13, 2005

by Fistgrrl

I went ahead and fixed those typos you found. You're spot-on about the letters in brackets at the login screen, I'll clean that up this weekend.

Thanks for helping us clean up, lemme know your account name here or on the mud and I'll sling you some points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

A Misandrist Duck posted:

I went ahead and fixed those typos you found. You're spot-on about the letters in brackets at the login screen, I'll clean that up this weekend.

Thanks for helping us clean up, lemme know your account name here or on the mud and I'll sling you some points.

@atgm

I started a slicer and went to Carida, but it was empty... some rooms without descriptions, no mobs, and me with a spaceport I didn't know how to use, heh. If I hadn't had help, that would have been the end of me.

Some MUDs have immortals that do nothing but greet new characters and act as personal buddies for the newbie period -- zombiemus did a great job of that for me and he was really essential to me not just quitting.

• Locked thread