Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

That said, Gadgeteering's probably the "better" of the two sets, since it's had a proper review and several big additions, and its pets are generally a bit more effective. That said... if you're freeform it's not like it matters, just take whatever, and don't forget a few other sets have pets too (Ice, Supernatural, etc.)

My favorite alt's almost all gadgeteer, but with AoRProtection and the tank golem thing from Sorcery (which is kind of like a robot, right?) Between the assortment of pets and the extra durability it's basically impossible to lose a fight. :black101: I really need to respec/retool them after the stat revamp though...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Asimo posted:

That said, Gadgeteering's probably the "better" of the two sets, since it's had a proper review and several big additions, and its pets are generally a bit more effective. That said... if you're freeform it's not like it matters, just take whatever, and don't forget a few other sets have pets too (Ice, Supernatural, etc.)

My favorite alt's almost all gadgeteer, but with AoRProtection and the tank golem thing from Sorcery (which is kind of like a robot, right?) Between the assortment of pets and the extra durability it's basically impossible to lose a fight. :black101: I really need to respec/retool them after the stat revamp though...
Do you still have to stand still inside a magic circle to keep Sorcery Summons active (aside from throwing a pile of zombies at people)?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Section Z posted:

Do you still have to stand still inside a magic circle to keep Sorcery Summons active (aside from throwing a pile of zombies at people)?
Sadly yeah, though you can take a two-point advantage to remove that problem.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!
I've got what is hopefully just a silly question. I'm at the point where I've got a couple of level 25 characters that I can create a Nemesis for. However, during the creation process, when it gets to the "Choose Nemesis Minion" screen, it doesn't actually show the minion. The option is there to zoom in and out, but the buttons are grayed out. No matter what minion type (undead, soldiers, etc.) or class (ranged, melee, etc.) I pick, I never get to see what they look like before continuing on. Is it just me, or is it a bug, or did Cryptic/PWE say "gently caress it" and assume that we'll all just have an encyclopedic knowledge of all minions and their appearance? :smith:

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I've got what is hopefully just a silly question. I'm at the point where I've got a couple of level 25 characters that I can create a Nemesis for. However, during the creation process, when it gets to the "Choose Nemesis Minion" screen, it doesn't actually show the minion. The option is there to zoom in and out, but the buttons are grayed out. No matter what minion type (undead, soldiers, etc.) or class (ranged, melee, etc.) I pick, I never get to see what they look like before continuing on. Is it just me, or is it a bug, or did Cryptic/PWE say "gently caress it" and assume that we'll all just have an encyclopedic knowledge of all minions and their appearance? :smith:

This used to work properly, but it, like some other aspects of the Nemesis system, is just horribly bugged.

The enemies look about how you'd expect them to though, with the exception of some of the groups near the bottom with elemental themes, which are just generic "guys in tights" with a colorscheme reflective of whatever element it says.

Also: when you get to the Prison Breakout Nemesis mission, it has a tendency to bug out. You just have to exit and restart it until it works.

For what's supposed to be one of the flagship aspects of the game, something other games don't do at all, there's a lot of broken poo poo in the Nemesis system.

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
Standard models come in white labcoats for inexplicable reasons.

Kelp Plankton posted:

Also: when you get to the Prison Breakout Nemesis mission, it has a tendency to bug out. You just have to exit and restart it until it works.

Specifically when I did it, my Nemesis stayed in her cell like a good little girl, completely untargetable. Clearly, she didn't actually want to break out.

Worked fine the second time around, though.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Thinking of getting into this, how grindy is it? Is it good for co-op? What are some good sites to read up on how to build a decent character?

vvv Thanks!

Korak fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Oct 10, 2012

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Not very grindy at all really (beyond the usual MMO thing in general of killing thousands upon thousands of enemies on the way); it'll take you 2-4 days played tops to max a character, and less once you know what you're doing. It's decent for co-op too, though you may find outdoor world content a bit too easy in a group. If you're playing for free, you don't really need to worry about building a character since the Archetypes are mostly pre-made for you, and the few choices you do make can be tested in the powerhouse before you make a decision. If you're subscribing and working on a freeform... really, the best place to ask for build advice is probably here, honestly. Although I recommend if you're new to just take an Archetype character and play around with them for a bit so you get used to the game first, you don't even have to keep them (and getting past the tedious tutorial poo poo unlocks more costume options if you're F2P).

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Well, I wanted to play this, but I can't get a character out of the tutorial zone because of this "Cannot Transfer Character" issue.

:sigh:

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!

TalonDemonKing posted:

Well, I wanted to play this, but I can't get a character out of the tutorial zone because of this "Cannot Transfer Character" issue.

:sigh:

The game is buggy. Luckily, the one you encountered is fairly rare and usually resolves itself within about 20 minutes. Clicking the name of the zone you are in on the minimap will let you change instances of the zone, hope over to a different one and try again if that happens.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Where can I find how many hours I've put into a character? I've got a guy at 36 right now and I'm curious if he's in that 2-4 played days range.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.

McSpanky posted:

Where can I find how many hours I've put into a character? I've got a guy at 36 right now and I'm curious if he's in that 2-4 played days range.

No exact display of hours, unfortunately. The closest thing available is the login UI's featuring of what day the character was made.

Last night, Cuchlain was asking me how to make a mummy (i.e. wanted a costume file.) So here's that. Note that, to share costume files, you have to use an image upload service that preserves the file names and otherwise doesn't perform any compression on them. Otherwise, they don't work when you post them in your screenshot directory.

If there's an issue with loading the file (like the fact it uses a million part unlocks), let me know.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Hit level 11 with my champion; I'm trying to stick with a tech theme but there isn't too many powers open to you, and I was running force field for some thematic stuff.

Is there a good rule of thumb for building characters? I feel really defensive oriented right now, Upgraded Block, Personal Force Field, Bionic Healing(Which I'm thinking about dropping).

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

TalonDemonKing posted:

Hit level 11 with my champion; I'm trying to stick with a tech theme but there isn't too many powers open to you, and I was running force field for some thematic stuff.

Is there a good rule of thumb for building characters? I feel really defensive oriented right now, Upgraded Block, Personal Force Field, Bionic Healing(Which I'm thinking about dropping).

I think that most of the archetypes give a good idea of when you should take what kind of ability, and you can look them all up on the wiki.

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006

Hunter Noventa posted:

I think that most of the archetypes give a good idea of when you should take what kind of ability, and you can look them all up on the wiki.

Yeah, starting with an AT and then shifting a few things around is a good way to make a build that doesn't suck. Especially when just starting out.

In general though, and someone with more experience than me please correct me if I'm wrong, you want more or less the following in roughly this order:
- energy builder
- single target attack
- aoe attack
- slotted passive
- energy unlock, if your chosen power set has one
- toggle 'form' power
- active offense and/or defense to taste

Note that more often than not you'll need more than one single target attack as there's only a few that are really effective using only that one. One aoe is almost always sufficient, though. Also, unless you really have nothing else useful you could take (IE: never) you shouldn't take more than one slotted passive or form power, since you can't use two at once.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Sounds close enough really. Some sets have strong early AoE attacks and are better off just using those and grabbing more potent single-target stuff later, while sets with defensive passives may be better suited by grabbing the form then the passive since nothing's going to be a risk anyway, but in general this is like level 5-9 stuff and a little shuffling there won't matter since you'll be past it in an hour.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Back when I originally played this game, it looks like I created one character for each power set/archetype/whatever they used to be called. The super stats for Ice used to be Dexterity and Recovery, but now I can have three super stats; what should I be going for here? I remember Ice being kinda lame for doing damage, but I figure I'll give it a shot, especially since the firat page talks about Avalanche being new and good.

Thanks.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

prefect posted:

Back when I originally played this game, it looks like I created one character for each power set/archetype/whatever they used to be called. The super stats for Ice used to be Dexterity and Recovery, but now I can have three super stats; what should I be going for here? I remember Ice being kinda lame for doing damage, but I figure I'll give it a shot, especially since the firat page talks about Avalanche being new and good.

Thanks.

It depends how you want to build it. Ice still has that crit stuff with Shatter, so you might still want Dex. It's also a ranged move, so you want Ego.

Of course you might just rain Avalanche all day, in which case maybe you don't need to crit.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

prefect posted:

Thanks.

My preference is EGO primary, with Dex and End secondaries. Extremely high critical chance if you choose the "Sixth Sense" specialization and equip yourself heavily with Dex gear, not to mention your innately higher base damage from Ego, and good energy management thanks to End and "Insight" specialization. Even if frequent criticals aren't your fancy, you can re-gear the build to use higher Ego, which does higher base damage and will result in greater energy efficiency.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Bluhman posted:

My preference is EGO primary, with Dex and End secondaries. Extremely high critical chance if you choose the "Sixth Sense" specialization and equip yourself heavily with Dex gear, not to mention your innately higher base damage from Ego, and good energy management thanks to End and "Insight" specialization. Even if frequent criticals aren't your fancy, you can re-gear the build to use higher Ego, which does higher base damage and will result in greater energy efficiency.
So it's a safe bet that even with crap gear/too lazy to look after gear, no secondary superstat Recovery means the Returns for Shatter will still be decent? Or that Endurance Secondary Stat means that won't even matter?

I can also never remember what the heck 'fighting attack' means specifically. "Recovery buffs energy builder gains, endurance buffs fighting attack gains... wait what?" But then, it's been forever since I've played much past the tutorial, let alone used a Melee guy.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Oct 14, 2012

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Section Z posted:

So it's a safe bet that even with crap gear/too lazy to look after gear, no secondary superstat Recovery means the Returns for Shatter will still be decent? Or that Endurance Secondary Stat means that won't even matter?

I can also never remember what the heck 'fighting attack' means specifically. "Recovery buffs energy builder gains, endurance buffs fighting attack gains... wait what?" But then, it's been forever since I've played much past the tutorial, let alone used a Melee guy.

The energy return on Shatter has always been crap as far as I'm concerned, largely because the energy cost to use Shatter is already quite high. What Ice really needs is just a proper energy unlock for placing Chill on people or something. In any case, I'd recommend taking something like MSA or maybe even Overdrive if you plan on using Avalanche and Ice Breath for extended periods of time, though Overdrive seems to scale more strongly with REC than END.

I, too, have no idea what a Fighting Attack is, and I've played this game for around 3 years now.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah, who the gently caress really knows. :iiam:

It's kind of amazing that we've had a big tooltip revision a while back to make them clearer and at least, what, two or three different revisions to the tutorial now, and there's still all sorts of obscure and poorly-explained mechanics.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

It doesn't help that they keep changing those mechanics :(

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

LordSaturn posted:

It doesn't help that they keep changing those mechanics :(

And that most of them are just the same ones under different names, none of which get explained.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Alright goons, help me out

Trying to get something abit more sleek and light weight compared to the heavy suit in her other costume slot, but I can't really find a way to make the bottom half look good. Any suggestions?

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Leather tights, combat braces and combat techie knee high boots that look like they connect to the boots.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The full plate leg accessory and the Combat Tech boots look like a single piece when used together.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

:toot: Hoveround takes me where I wanna go...

where will it send me... :toot:

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Well okay then. Took the Goon suggestions -- It looks good. But first: A story.

Logged into the game into the greenroom inside the power house. Flew out into one of the dressing rooms, opened up tailor, found out I forgot to save my costume slot, started to work on it. Finished it, so I exited it out of the tailor.

I found myself staring at closed doors to the dressing room (Pretty nifty that they close), but at the same time, some super hero was behind me. Kinda weird, but whatever. Moved out of the dressing room, flew around that section real quick, noticed that I forgot a back detail, moved back into one of the dressing rooms, opened up the tailor. In the time it took me to get the back detail on and exit the tailor, that same hero was in the same dressing room, with the dressing room doors closed.

loving creeper

sansmasher
Oct 24, 2004

It's Smashtime!
I have some questions if any of you dont mind answering.

I've been looking for a new MMO to play since COH is going kaput, was going to give up, but saw this thread and heard about this game. I had quit playing COH before because lack of people, is there always goons I can come on with and wreck stuff with?

How newbie freindly is this game? Will I be lost and frustrated off the bat? or will I ease into it and have fun?

thanks for anyone that answers in advance.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Join the channel listed at the top of the OP and that'll be a good start. There's almost always folks on, even if the chatter comes and goes (especially since the chat system and channels are shared with STO) so it's a matter of speaking up and going "hey anyone out there!?" to start up conversation if need be. A new account may have limited chatting ability (since spammers) but that goes away after a few hours, I forget the exact timing.

The game's really pretty simple and newbie friendly... with a few caveats. The first is that freeform character building is probably a bit overwhelming if you don't know what you're doing, but fortunately free players are (generally) limited to archetypes which are mostly pre-made for you and fairly balanced, so you don't need to worry heavily about builds and stuff. The second is that the tutorial is poo poo and you really shouldn't judge the game by it; fortunately, once you've done it once you can skip it on any later alts. Finishing the tutorial once unlocks some costume pieces too, since they intentionally tried to make it simple for a new player with mixed success.

Beyond that the game's easy to get into. Characters tend to have a small number of attacks with different effects, and it's fueled by a pool of energy that's refilled when you autoattack. You can also often move around while you attack, though some powers lock you down during the animation, and you can block to cut incoming damage quite a bit, and accordingly big enemies telegraph their heavy attacks. It's not quite as active as something like Guild Wars 2, but thankfully it's a lot closer to that than a WoW-style game. Questing is the usual open-world style stuff you're used to in a thousand other MMOs, for better or worse, though there's a lot of quests that lead to indoor instanced areas too.

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
The complete lack of commentary in here on the lockboxes they added today amuses me.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

There is just absolutely nothing interesting in them. I guess maybe it's noteworthy that they exist? Kinda? STO's done it for so long it's not really a big deal by now.

Later on when they have exclusive costume bits or vehicles or whatever inside them, then people might care and there might be opportunity to do some exploitative economy stuff.

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
You probably have a point there, yeah. Not that it stops pubbies paying enormous amounts of resources for them on the auction house.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!

General Maximus posted:

The complete lack of commentary in here on the lockboxes they added today amuses me.

I might have if It were possible to log into the game. :v:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

General Maximus posted:

They're just dedicated to screwing the Questionite:Zen exchange, aren't they? They add the Becomes to the Q-Store which would have been sure to even the exchange rate a little, and then at the same time they go TF2 Keys on us.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The exchange isn't supposed to be even. Economies don't work that way.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Yeah, I knew 'even' was a horrible word to pick there. I just mean ever since they introduced Questionite, pretty much every further addition to the game has worked to devalue it as a currency.

Did the same thing happen with the Dilithium trade on STO? gradually depreciating in value because nothing much of interest is made available through it?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

No, dilithium is heavily integrated into the high level stuff of STO. You can use it to buy gear and stuff.

It also has a lot more ways to get it, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
So I log in this morning and both the alert mission for questionite and the daily UNITY missions aren't there. I'm guessing something broke and they haven't reset from yesterday, that ever happen before?

And yeah, questionite is pretty much worthless once you have the costume parts you can buy with it. And the gear if you want that I suppose. After that it becomes solely something you trade for zen and/or manipulate the exchange with.

Edit: Now with less racial and/or religious insensitivity.

General Maximus fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Oct 22, 2012