Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Rocket Salad
Sep 1, 2004

lol what

some texas redneck posted:

If I flog the poo poo out of my Altima with the a/c on it'll dip to about 17 mpg. And that's winding it out to redline in every gear, WOT or foot off the gas.

It has a 2.4 instead of a 1.4, with slightly more hp/torque (150 hp/154 tq), only 5 gears, and isn't much lighter than a Cruze. Don't forget the 80s engine design, and it's closer to 200k than 100k.

Which is why I'm a bit shocked at 19 mpg from a 1.4. Laggy turbo or not.
Your goddamn Altima isn't a benchmark for anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I will never get tired of looking at those wacky Corvair turbocharger inlets.

Also I never noticed before now that wacky accessory belt. I don't think I've seen many cars that twist the belt by design.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
Time for 25 shots from my visit to the Porsche facilities in Leipzig.

Two GT3s with NFS:MW liveries.

Car elevator! Also people elvator!

Aerial shot of the facilities.

Wall of memorabilia.

Huge frosted glass design.

Muddin' in a Cayenne Turbo GTS

ARTISTIC 2/3 SHOT

lookit dat goon

Clock in the cabin? Luxury time.

911 Carrera GTS, after a drive.

I was unhealthfully excited to see this tractor.

I've seen this livery before, awesome to see it in person (it's still ugly)

Carrera GT sans clothes

Carrera GT, with clothes. Contrasting color wheel denotation, to make sure they go on the correct sides.

Cutaway Porsche!

I half expected this to sidle up to the podium and start speaking in William Daniels' voice.

Leaving the building

Couple shots from a dude I met there:

Probably the most iconic view from the Test Track.

Lotta people have gone wide on this

RC Cola, baby

And finally:

Where I spun out

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

If you said you could show me an intake that looks like a towel rack, I would have called you a dirty filthy liar.

Also that open mesh ground wire is hilarious.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Matlock posted:

Awesome Porsche stuff

Cool pictures, looks like a great way to spend a day. I was just looking at an older Porsche design, actually. :haw:

Behold the Panzer VIII Maus, the largest tank ever made, designed by none other than Ferdinand Porsche.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Took me a minute to realise that's the manifold, not just a fancy-dandy strut brace :v:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

rcman50166 posted:

If you said you could show me an intake that looks like a towel rack, I would have called you a dirty filthy liar.

Also that open mesh ground wire is hilarious.

It looks like and aircraft bonding strap.

Terrible Robot posted:

Cool pictures, looks like a great way to spend a day. I was just looking at an older Porsche design, actually. :haw:

Behold the Panzer VIII Maus, the largest tank ever made, designed by none other than Ferdinand Porsche.

quick, dirty, and I don't even know why.

omgitstheinternet
Apr 28, 2005

Money, Clothes, and Hoes;
All a Nigga Knows

Linedance posted:

It looks like and aircraft bonding strap.

quick, dirty, and I don't even know why.

Still looks better than the cayenne.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Quantrill posted:

68 Chevelle

Thank you. :)

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

The monkey is NOT impressed...

Is it me, or are the Do Not Touch signs seem to have a finger missing from the hand?

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Fermunky posted:

Is it me, or are the Do Not Touch signs seem to have a finger missing from the hand?

Ve told you not to touch the car.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

It makes me sad to know that I can go and buy a turbo'd corvair for less than a turbo'd engine for my bug would cost :(

Herr FLSH
Feb 10, 2006

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
It was kind of a bummer seeing some of those art cars didn't have any running gear in them at all. That E36 was one example, you get up close and you can see it's just empty in the engine bay.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

Das Volk posted:

It was kind of a bummer seeing some of those art cars didn't have any running gear in them at all. That E36 was one example, you get up close and you can see it's just empty in the engine bay.

They probably used them in other cars at some point down the road. It's not like they're ever going to drive them again.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I wouldn't be surprised if some of them never had any running gear in them. "Here, it's a body we used to test something out, we don't want it on the road. Make an art."

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

Das Volk posted:

Yeah, but the description of the E36 was "a prototype for a 3 series racing car". It didn't have brakes, some of the suspension was just rigged and there were no real instrumentation or controls installed. The interior was spotless as it is in a car that has never been used. I think it was just a look-a-like prototype never meant to be used for anything else.

On the other hand, the M1, CSLs and E30s have been raced (with some success) and as far as I could see they seemed like complete cars. They had all the switches for lights, fuel pumps, brake balance adjusters, pneumatic lifts and a connector for them that had been used. Scratched windows etc. The interiors looked like they had been used.

It is a pity that racecars are so low, it is difficult see underneath them.

DoLittle fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Oct 15, 2012

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

They should put them on a giant rotisserie so you can spin them around.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

Das Volk posted:

I was kind of thinking the opposite, assuming they did have engines, that it was a shame they just sit there not being used.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
At the museum I was thinking glass floors and mirrors. Actually, even just for the art, it would be important to have a top view of the cars. Be it with mirrors or from an upper floor.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I thought they actually did race all those art cars?

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I thought they actually did race all those art cars?

Not all of them. Of those pictured, only the E36 has not raced. However there are many art cars that are not race cars, although the most famous ones are.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I look forward to the Studie M GT300 Z4 to be added to the art car gallery.

http://www.studie.jp/information/detail.html?id=37

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Best thing

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Look at how ecstatic that Abarth is. Look at me! Top of the world, ma!

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Matlock posted:

Time for 25 shots from my visit to the Porsche facilities in Leipzig.

Two GT3s with NFS:MW liveries.

Those aren't GT3s.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Don't see one of these every day:

(edit: bigger)

Steve French fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Oct 16, 2012

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.jpg

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Even the mirrors look like it's flinging its arms up in the air in pure delight.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

angryhampster posted:

Even the mirrors look like it's flinging its arms up in the air in pure delight.

It's too bad they make a pathetic little sound when you romp on them.

VCR 2.0
Oct 5, 2007

EightBit posted:

It's too bad they make a pathetic little sound when you romp on them.

The north american version sounds pretty awesome, from youtube videos anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8Fd47g1PPU

VCR 2.0 fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Oct 17, 2012

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:
http://www.wired.com/autopia/2012/10/gibbs-quadski/

Only registered members can see post attachments!

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Actually, cool toys for rich people is a pretty decent business model so I bet those actually sell. Amphicars on the other hand dont really have too many uses for the average person.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I've seen this guy around a few times and talked to him but I finally felt like taking a couple of phone pictures.

(lol my white E46 way back there)

To curb the 'RICE!' posts...
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-turbo-gt2/117969-very-custom-996-gt2-rsr.html

quote:

It is fully customized using ERP suspension components, RSR custom cross members and custom RSR uprights and includes 997 RSR centerlocks and monoblock BBS racing wheels, 11 x 18 and 13 x 18 with 295/30-18 and 345/30-18 Cup tires, and full lightweight racing Brembos custom built by Charlie at Wrightwood Racing. Includes custom individual throttle body TT 3.8L engine with 840 REAR WHEEL HORSEPOWER. All body parts including hood, roof, and decklid are carbon kevlar. Transmission is regeared for track and is purposely set at 190MPH at 6th gear. We have also installed a very trick electronically actuated sequential shift unit.

Basically, the car is loving insane.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Oct 17, 2012

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Huh, so as terrible as that looks, it's probably all fully functional. 190mph is the sort of speed where you'd need a wing like that, yep. What's the thing in the middle of the frunk lid?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Fuel cell.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

Huh, so as terrible as that looks, it's probably all fully functional. 190mph is the sort of speed where you'd need a wing like that, yep. What's the thing in the middle of the frunk lid?

Porsche is not known for making functional aero that always looks good.

Also, I wonder what the ratio of people who get the Cardinals plate "because it's black" is when compared to "because I like the Cards"... and I wonder how many of them know about the even more black 4H plate :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I believe it's functional, but holy gently caress its ugly.

Any idea about the louvers on the fenders?