Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I think reinforcing the notion that this whole thing is really pointless is what gets my eyes rolling more than anything else. This is literally the remnants of the remnants of the remnants of Zeon. They're pathetic and/or laughable at this point and fighting for basically no reason whatsoever and any time I get reminded of that it just makes the whole situation more ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

One thing I wonder about in the coming episode 6 of unicorn:
Riddhe isn't a newtype is he? How the hell is he going to put up a fight if the Destroy Mode of the Banshee can't use him as a newtype-processing-kill-machine.
Hell, Banager now has control over the NT-D system and can do what he wants with it, making it even more unfair.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zedd posted:

One thing I wonder about in the coming episode 6 of unicorn:
Riddhe isn't a newtype is he? How the hell is he going to put up a fight if the Destroy Mode of the Banshee can't use him as a newtype-processing-kill-machine.
Hell, Banager now has control over the NT-D system and can do what he wants with it, making it even more unfair.

I'm pretty sure Riddhe is a Newtype, he just isn't a particularly great one. A lot of the reactions he has only really make sense if he's got Newtype stuff going on and just fundamentally doesn't understand it. (Which makes him an ideal pilot for the Banshee thematically.)

Also he's a Newtype in the most recent G Generation game (the first one he meaningfully shows up in) although still a crappy one. He's got the Newtype character ability and everything.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Ah Right. Due to watching AGE I got used to nothing making sense, now that you mention it he did have some of those moments where he sensed stuff.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

ImpAtom posted:

SEED was also the first Gundam show which really seriously got fansubbed widely as it was released, and so it was a lot of people's first experience with being disappointed on a weekly basis, something we're all far more used to by this point. :smith:
As a side effect, iirc there's still (or were for years after the fact, at least) a bunch of idiots running around using outdated fansub names for SEED characters.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

U.T. Raptor posted:

As a side effect, iirc there's still (or were for years after the fact, at least) a bunch of idiots running around using outdated fansub names for SEED characters.

Where did the extra W even come from? It isn't even close to a valid interpretation for those kana.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Son Ryo posted:

Where did the extra W even come from? It isn't even close to a valid interpretation for those kana.

The character merch.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
I'm pretty sure the only blonde in Gundam who isn't also a weak newtype is Cagalli.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Whizbang posted:

I'm pretty sure the only blonde in Gundam who isn't also a weak newtype is Cagalli.

Asemu Asuno.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Asemu Asuno.

Does being "SUPA PILOTOOOOH" not count?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

Does being "SUPA PILOTOOOOH" not count?

Considering his entire thing with that is being explicitly not in the slightest bit superhuman, I'd say so.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Son Ryo posted:

Bandai loving loves bad romanization. See also Hagane Kwai and Shilogwane.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power
I still can't believe that an entire page talking about seed's voodoo explosion-resistance went by and no one mentioned Mu exploding into nothing but a shattered helmet floating through space -Just kidding guys, he's totally back for the sequel! That was the precise "you can't be loving serious" moment for me in destiny.

edit: Ok, maybe this guy

Clever Spambot posted:

Explosions dont work the same way in gundam SEED as they do in real life, they are more like portals that teleport you exactly where you need to be. That or they kill you, depending on how important to the plot you are.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
I don't think you really need to put spoilers on what happened with Mu. Yeah that would easily be the most bullshit resurrection in cosmic era, but you have to remember that the Lohengrin is an anti-fortress weapon and Mu is not a fortress.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

ImpAtom posted:

Asemu Asuno.

I don't know who that is, but he certainly isn't a Gundam character. :colbert:

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Whizbang posted:

I wouldn't say that Char is a weak newtype, he just seems like it because he is always right by Amuro or Kamille. I wouldn't say he's a super strong one, more around medium level.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

Nasgate posted:

I wouldn't say that Char is a weak newtype, he just seems like it because he is always right by Amuro or Kamille. I wouldn't say he's a super strong one, more around medium level.

Nah, Char is a weak newtype and an ok pilot. He gets by on being really really good at politics and public speaking.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Whizbang posted:

Nah, Char is a weak newtype and an ok pilot. He gets by on being really really good at politics and public speaking.

See, I always thought he was supposed to be an awesome pilot. He's obviously some of the hottest poo poo around in 0079, then in Zeta he keeps up with the rediculous upgrades the titans keep churning out and eventually going head to head with the ludicrously-dangerous Haman and Scirocco in what is by then a sub-par mobile suit. And then of course in CCA Amuro seems like the only one who can touch him, though he's admittedly got a huge technical advantage there.

Rakugoon
Jul 30, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
In Char's Counterattack Char and Amuro are firing at each other's beams. They're on a completely different level than everyone else.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I have no idea how anyone could say char is an "ok" pilot. His insane skill is the only reason he can keep up with Amuro, because Amuro is a more powerful newtype.

Edit: Actually, speaking of Char, are there any side stories of what he is doing between Zeta and CCA?

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer
The only times he keeps up with Amuro are when he has a tech advantage. When it's a level playing field like Amuro in the Nu, Amuro kicks his poo poo in like it's no big deal. Same with the whole "Red Comet" thing, he was in a Zaku versus battleships and space fighers.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
It's outright canon that Char is the superior technical pilot

I mean, let's not forget how loving well he did in Zeta when using largely inferior weaponry as well.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
Meh, I don't buy the whole, "better technical pilot," line since Amuro is a top-notch technical pilot as well, he just gets the added advantage of being a stronger Newtype. It's not like you can really separate the two out, though, since one really feeds into the other.

Besides, technically speaking outside of the fin funnels (which were a non-issue by the time Char and Amuro met up in the final battle in CCA), the Sazabi actually outclassed the Nu Gundam in terms of speed, strength, and firepower. Amuro still busted that sucker up while sustaining only cosmetic damage.

I'm not saying Char wasn't a kickass pilot. I'm just saying give Amuro more credit.

Edit: Char is way more interesting of a character, though.

Mecha Gojira fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Oct 16, 2012

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
It doesn't matter if you "buy into it" or not, Zorak was referencing the fact that Char being a better pilot is the Word of God and isn't really up for debate.

The Sazabi being better than the Nu isn't entirely correct. It has superior performance in purely technical terms, but the Nu had an entire cockpit made of psycoframe with an extremely powerful newtype sitting inside it.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Popehoist posted:

It doesn't matter if you "buy into it" or not, Zorak was referencing the fact that Char being a better pilot is the Word of God and isn't really up for debate.

The Sazabi being better than the Nu isn't entirely correct. It has superior performance in purely technical terms, but the Nu had an entire cockpit made of psycoframe with an extremely powerful newtype sitting inside it.

To be fair, so did the Sazabi. That's why Amuro took his cockpit/escape pod and jammed it against the asteroid, to take full advantage of BOTH suit's psycoframes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The thing about being the better technical pilot is that you're still at a massive disadvantage when your opponent is psychic. It's one of the things first Gundam drove home when Amuro kept beating far more skilled opponents while still a fledgling himself.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Mecha Gojira posted:

Besides, technically speaking outside of the fin funnels (which were a non-issue by the time Char and Amuro met up in the final battle in CCA), the Sazabi actually outclassed the Nu Gundam in terms of speed, strength, and firepower. Amuro still busted that sucker up while sustaining only cosmetic damage.

To be fair, cosmetic damage to a mobile suit in space is often just a few feet away from a death blow.

Plus, you have to admit Char to be at least "above average" just from seeing normal pilots being a complete non-issue to him.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

On the topic of blondes who aren't weak newtypes, Yazan was pure old type.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

TTBF posted:

On the topic of blondes who aren't weak newtypes, Yazan was pure old type.

Yazan was mostly just a murdertype.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

ActionZero posted:

I don't think you really need to put spoilers on what happened with Mu. Yeah that would easily be the most bullshit resurrection in cosmic era, but you have to remember that the Lohengrin is an anti-fortress weapon and Mu is not a fortress.

It's also an antimatter beam weapon, so not even his helmet should be left :pwn:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

ImpAtom posted:

The thing about being the better technical pilot is that you're still at a massive disadvantage when your opponent is psychic. It's one of the things first Gundam drove home when Amuro kept beating far more skilled opponents while still a fledgling himself.

These arguments just make Yazan even more amazing, and I'm thankful for it.:tipshat:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Popehoist posted:

Plus, whilst it was powerful, the Sazabi was actually quite poorly-designed. Its funnels couldn't re-dock with the suit once Char launched them, its beam sabres were overlarge and inefficient (the Nu's had more cutting power), and its waist-mounted cannon was absurdly underpowered for something that big. It says a lot that when they went back to the drawing-board and started figuring out ways to improve the Sazabi, they spent most of their time trimming off unnecessary extras.

Char actually put up a pretty impressive showing in that thing.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Oct 16, 2012

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

-Troika- posted:

It's also an antimatter beam weapon, so not even his helmet should be left :pwn:

Good thing they retconned that IN THE RECAP EPISODE THEY AIRED RIGHT AFTER THE FINALE so that his helmet was gone.

We really need a :psyduck: that's a big headed chibi Kira in his helmet or something because god drat

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

These arguments just make Yazan even more amazing, and I'm thankful for it.:tipshat:

Yazan tries to use his coat as a parachute.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Yazan tries to use his coat as a parachute.

Ahem - succeeds in using his coat as a parachute. :colbert:

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

ImpAtom posted:

Considering his entire thing with that is being explicitly not in the slightest bit superhuman, I'd say so.

That might have been the intention, but the execution says it's possibly not true. How else do you explain Decil's "Why can't I read him?" line? When your opponents power is to read movements and you're blocking him that's pretty much a super power in and of itself.

Mecha Gojira posted:

I'm not saying Char wasn't a kickass pilot. I'm just saying give Amuro more credit.

I don't think this is really accurate. Amuro and Char both made each other use up all of their weapons. Missiles, funnels, beam sabers, rifles, cannons, the works, all gone by the end of their fight. The only difference in suit damage is that Amuro lopped off one of the Sazabi's arms, and that's after several minutes of sustained fighting. At that point it turns in to a simple brawl, which Amuro obviously has the advantage in because he has two arms to Char's one, but even then Char is able to escape from the beating Amuro starts to put on him and continue fighting. The main reason the fight ends is because he let's himself be distracted by Mirai rather than concentrating on the fight he's in and Amuro punches him so hard that the impact with Axis blows up most of the Sazabi.

If you can last in an all out fight against a much more powerful psychic than you and make him use up all his weapons and still keep going I think it's a sign you're a pretty drat good pilot.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

boom boom boom fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Oct 5, 2014

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

boom boom boom posted:

X-Rounders are special because they're able to access a primitive part of the brain that's dormant in most people right? I think there was even a line early on about that being bad in someway that was never expanded on, like, because they were thinking in a more primitive, instinctual manner. So maybe X-Rounders can't read Super Pilots because Super Pilots rely on high-level critical thinking more than instinct?

I think that we should just use Occam's razor here and just assume that there isn't any reason for why X-Rounders can't read Super Pilots other than the writers being lazy.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

tsob posted:

That might have been the intention, but the execution says it's possibly not true. How else do you explain Decil's "Why can't I read him?" line? When your opponents power is to read movements and you're blocking him that's pretty much a super power in and of itself.

I always thought that was kind of like the fight between Suzaku and the knight of one in code geass. When Suzaku let the live geass he had placed on him come into play it made him so skilled that even though Bismarck could use his geass to see the future he couldn't actually do anything to stop Suzaku from killing him. Asemu just managed to get so mundanely good that an X-Rounder's ability wasn't any use against him forcing them to rely on their mundane skills, which given how he was good enough to force them to do that meant that most X-Rounders were pretty hosed at that point.

I daresay that right there I've probably put more thought into the matter than the writers did.

How that applies to Woolf's super pilotness given how his "oh my god he just took down an x-rounder" scene involved him kind of just floating there shooting while she flew around him ineffectively I have no idea.

edit: VVVV I would have loved a training montage where Woolf plays chess with Asemu and makes references to how it will help him fight.

ActionZero fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Oct 16, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I suspect that deal with Super Pilots is that they're not very good at animating them. The way they appear to be dealing with them is "they're so good pilots that they fight three steps ahead." What we've seen of X-Rounder bullshit is that it sees the next moment, not necessarily a few moments ahead. So it's theoretically supposed to be a case where the pilot's are so naturally skilled that they're effectively fighting ahead of where the psychics can view and react to. Thus the reason Desil can't read him is because Asemu's already two steps ahead. (IIRC, they used something similar to this to justify why Max Jenius is a nine times more talented pilot than anyone else in Macross, which is probably where AGE stole the idea got the inspiration.)

Mind you, this isn't well-represented in the show. The entire thing with Woolf firing randomly and hitting the X-Rounder only really makes sense if you're supposed to read it as "Woolf is tricking the X-Rounder into flying into his shots,' but they don't have the talent in choreography to actually make that look good. So instead it just looks like he's randomly firing and hitting. A better show would have basically animated it so that the Super Pilots are moving in ways that lure the enemies into traps or exploiting the weaknesses of their robots or so-on, but AGE is a lovely-rear end show.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Oct 16, 2012

• Locked thread