Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

gariig posted:

Sublime Text 2 is my other favorite right now. It is $60 but you don't have to purchase a license it just nags you occasionally.

Also Emacs and Vim

I'm with this guy, minus Emacs. I use Sublime Text 2 at home, VIM at work. VIM did take some tinkering/tweaking/looking up stuff to get it configured how I like it, but it's good.

The only down side is that it's trained me to hit esc :w enter a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Sizzler Manager posted:

I've never tried emacs, but vim is great, and I wish I could do all of my text editing using it. The initial learning curve isn't even really that steep - you start by learning how to move around in a file and enter insert mode, and that gets you basically productive, and then you learn all the other cool poo poo it can do as you go.

Scaramouche posted:

For Linux I've joined the dark side and actually kinda like vim now.

Ok, so what is it that you like about it? What is the "other cool poo poo"?

vim has so many adherents that I keep feeling like I must be missing something, but every time I try actually asking I get responses like "you can do everything without taking your hands off the keyboard" and "it has multi-file regex-based search and replace". :(

E: that is to say, features that have been considered standard in any programmer's editor worth using for years, not just vim.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Oct 9, 2012

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

ToxicFrog posted:

vim has so many adherents that I keep feeling like I must be missing something, but every time I try actually asking I get responses like "you can do everything without taking your hands off the keyboard" and "it has multi-file regex-based search and replace". :(

It's Stockholm Syndrome. It's an rear end-backwards pain in the neck to use, but once you finally figure it out, you start liking it because you put so much effort into using the goddamn thing to begin with.

I really do enjoy being able to do everything from the keyboard, but gently caress me with a pineapple if the programmers did not have their own arbitrary and frustrating ideas for shortcuts/commands -- I guess because they worked before we standardized things like "save" as opposed to "write."

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Doing everything without taking your hands off the keyboard is pretty neat. It's hard to appreciate how much time you lose to mousing or hammering on the arrow keys unless you're actually fluent in an alternative.

The downside is that it really is a total-immersion editor, and there's not a lot of point in just dabbling in it. Go big or don't bother.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Jabor posted:

Doing everything without taking your hands off the keyboard is pretty neat. It's hard to appreciate how much time you lose to mousing or hammering on the arrow keys unless you're actually fluent in an alternative.

Oh, I totally agree; thing is, this is also something you can do in good non-vim editors. It's not that I consider this an unimportant feature, but nor is it a vim-exclusive one.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Oct 9, 2012

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

ToxicFrog posted:

E: that is to say, features that have been considered standard in any programmer's editor worth using for years, not just vim.

I don't know what it is really. Vim is really counter-intuitive in a lot of ways but I also found it easy to remember because dumbass things like ':wq' aren't done by other programs. So it was easy to remember because it didn't make sense, if that makes sense. Back in the 90s I used mostly emacs and I never really liked it. I'd use it, and I'd put it in my shell because I knew how to use it, but never really liked it.

Titan Coeus
Jul 30, 2007

check out my horn
Something I can't stress enough with Vim is to use a good .vimrc. The one you get from Googling "vimrc" is a solid starting point, and is well commented so you can make modifications if you like. At the very least, you should skim over the file and see if there is anything you don't want (e.g., I hate smartcase on searches).

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

ToxicFrog posted:

Oh, I totally agree; thing is, this is also something you can do in good non-vim editors. It's not that I consider this an unimportant feature, but nor is it a vim-exclusive one.

Well yeah, I guess emacs works too. But I think that looking for one "killer feature" that's exclusive to a single editor is a bit of a distraction - you could point to any feature of any other text editor, and I could point out that other editors have that feature as well.

The strength of vim is essentially the extensibility - you start with a bare bones editor for very quick plain text editing, and it's very easy to build that up into something optimized for what you use it for. Other editors have similar ecosystems, of course - there's a reason vi/emacs is a traditional flame war topic - but that doesn't mean that they're "better" than vim, just "different".

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Jabor posted:

Well yeah, I guess emacs works too. But I think that looking for one "killer feature" that's exclusive to a single editor is a bit of a distraction - you could point to any feature of any other text editor, and I could point out that other editors have that feature as well.

The strength of vim is essentially the extensibility - you start with a bare bones editor for very quick plain text editing, and it's very easy to build that up into something optimized for what you use it for. Other editors have similar ecosystems, of course - there's a reason vi/emacs is a traditional flame war topic - but that doesn't mean that they're "better" than vim, just "different".

It's not just emacs, but any other programmer's editor made in the last five years, if not the last ten.

The bit that I keep returning to, and that keeps confusing me, is that both vim and emacs (vim more so, it seems) have a huge number of adherents that do say vim/emacs is better - not just better than emacs/vim, but better than all of the other editors, unquestionably the best programmer's editor that exists. But when I try to pin down why vim/emacs users think this, I always end up going in circles.

MacGowans Teeth
Aug 13, 2003

ToxicFrog posted:

It's not just emacs, but any other programmer's editor made in the last five years, if not the last ten.

The bit that I keep returning to, and that keeps confusing me, is that both vim and emacs (vim more so, it seems) have a huge number of adherents that do say vim/emacs is better - not just better than emacs/vim, but better than all of the other editors, unquestionably the best programmer's editor that exists. But when I try to pin down why vim/emacs users think this, I always end up going in circles.
I'm not saying it's better. I just like using it more than I have liked the other editors I've tried. The modes and the simple commands appeal to me, too. It makes a lot of things that I do frequently very easy, to the point where if I have to do it in a text field or another editor, I'm annoyed, because I know I can do this same thing by, say, hitting ;j. a few times and instead I'm having to gently caress with the mouse and the arrow keys. Also, for the languages I use, there aren't a lot of killer editors. For XSLT, there's Oxygen, but the only two things it has over Vim are the xpath completion from a transformation scenario, which I haven't figured out how to do, or if it's possible to do, in Vim, and the XSLT debugger, which is convenient as hell. If I don't need one of those two things, I'm using Vim instead. Other than that I mainly use Perl or Ruby, and neither of those has an IDE I like, or, really, needs one. I know Java culture has a lot of crazy IDEs with a bunch of features, but I avoid using Java wherever possible, so that stuff isn't relevant.

Basically, if Sublime or emacs or textmate or whatever else floats your boat, then use that, but I recommend Vim because I like using it and I am productive with it. Really, choosing a programmer's editor is pretty subjective.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Vi does have the advantage of being usable over SSH and also being preinstalled literally just about everywhere you'd ever want to SSH to.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
From someone who has used both and likes both equally and has issues with both:

vim is a language, emacs is an operating system

And I mean that in the most endearing way possible.

vim has a vocabulary full of verbs like "append", "insert", "change", and nouns like "end of word", "start of buffer", "the next appearance of the regex 'foo'", "register A", and more. You phrase your editing in terms of these sentences:

"change everything up until the end of the word to 'eggs'" => c e eggs<esc>
"change everything up until the nearest appearance of the regex 'foo' to 'bar'" => c /foo<ret> bar<esc>

My gripes with it are minor UI inconsistencies, like not having a story for whether the "default" mode is "insert" and "append": "insert" seems to be implemented as "move left", "append", as evidenced by it moving back if you do nothing but exit insert mode after you enter it. But all anchors for things like "change" are taken from the "insert" position.

emacs, on the other hand, is a LISP environment, with an editor too. emacs implements a lot of things that you wouldn't think an editor would (should?) have, like sockets, an HTTP client, and more. emacs as an editor is pretty powerful. I like emacs more for its multi-buffer control, which I've always thought was secondary. The ability to define complex operations and custom functions and keybindings in full lisp is nice, and allows you do things like templates that are smart and introspect from the environment.

Or things like auto-complete that's implemented by talking over a pipe to another process that's running the host language (python, ruby, javascript), or marking text up based on the output of jslint. These things are probably possible in vimscript, but vim isn't an operating system (yet), so it can't talk over sockets.

If you get used to macros, and get used to emacs, I've found it perfectly adequate for editing. It's nowhere near the cleanliness and beauty of vim, but it works. My issues with it are more about the various functions it's installed with, and the lack of simple documentation (it has over-comprehensive, useless to newbies documentation). It also isn't coherent as a project, as there's lots of people touching different subsystems: it doesn't have a clear goal or mission statement, so it's impossible to get a cohesive vision in there, too. There's also the bad scrolling by default, and a big lack of debugability if something goes wrong. The infrastructure for distributing emacs files isn't the greatest right now, although that's changing with things like package.el and marmalade (it used to be the de facto "emacs wiki", which had no version control, or even loving authentication. You could rootkit someone's emacs installation by secretly changing a file on the wiki that you didn't own, as a lot of scripts simply wget'd from that)

Suspicious Dish fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Oct 9, 2012

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Right then you lot, riddle me this....

I am writing a software sampler Audio Unit/VST for my final university project, and I am stuck.

My research has led me to this paper about an algorithm to find the greatest common divisor between two integers called the Eucledean Algorithm and how it can be used to generate rhythms.

I have the algorithm working correctly, but I am having trouble seeing how the results relate to the Binary representations depicted in section 2 of this paper;

http://www-cgrl.cs.mcgill.ca/~godfried/publications/banff.pdf

In other words how the numbers;

8 = (1)(5) + 3
5 = (1)(3) + 2
3 = (1)(2) + 1
2 = (1)(2) + 0

transform 1 1 1 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 into 1 0 0 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 0 0

If anyone can explain to me how the integer output represents the binary sequence, you get a point. Well done! I am stumped.

Here is the algorithm as a C++ class -

code:
//
//  main.cpp
//  buildTarget
//
//  Created by Jerome on 05/10/2012.
//
//

#include <iostream>

int Euclid(int m, int k);

int main()
{
    int m, k, z = 0;
    m = k = z;

m = 3;
    k = 8;

Euclid(m, k);

return 0;
}

/*
 -----The Euclid Algorithm as a Function in C++---

As Psudo Code

EUCLID(m, k) 1. if k = 0
 2. then return m
 3. else return EUCLID(k,m mod k)

-------------------------------------------------
 */
int Euclid(int m, int k)
{

std::cout << "Euclid("<< m <<","<< k << ")"<<std::endl;

if (k == 0){
        return m;
    }
    else{
        return Euclid(k, m % k);
    }

}

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

As I understand it at first glance. For E(5, 8):

8 = (1)(5) + 3
-> 5 ones and 3 zeroes:
[1 1 1 1 1 0 0 0]

5 = (1)(3) + 2
-> take from the zeroes and apply them to the ones, resulting in 5 sequences containing 3 [10]s and 2 untouched [1]s :
[10] [10] [10] [1] [1]

no more zeroes so we stop here.

[1 1 1 1 1 0 0 0] => [1 0 1 0 1 0 1 1]

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Oct 9, 2012

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

jiggerypokery posted:

Right then you lot, riddle me this....

I am writing a software sampler Audio Unit/VST for my final university project, and I am stuck.

My research has led me to this paper about an algorithm to find the greatest common divisor between two integers called the Eucledean Algorithm and how it can be used to generate rhythms.

I have the algorithm working correctly, but I am having trouble seeing how the results relate to the Binary representations depicted in section 2 of this paper;

http://www-cgrl.cs.mcgill.ca/~godfried/publications/banff.pdf

In other words how the numbers;

8 = (1)(5) + 3
5 = (1)(3) + 2
3 = (1)(2) + 1
2 = (1)(2) + 0

transform 1 1 1 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 into 1 0 0 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 0 0

If anyone can explain to me how the integer output represents the binary sequence, you get a point. Well done! I am stumped.

The observation appears simply to be that the numbers involved in the steps of the algorithm correspond to the numbers appearing in the Euclidean Algorithm calculations.

The first step is to go from [(1) (1) (1) (1) (1) (0) (0) (0) (0) (0) (0) (0) (0)] to [(10) (10) (10) (10) (10) (0) (0) (0)]. You start with 5 (1)s and 8 (0)s. I haven't read far into the paper so I don't know if they introduce terminology for these, but I am going to call the left-hand part of the sequence at each step the primary part of the sequence, and the right-hand part the remainder part. Here the primary part is the 5 (1)s and the remainder part is the 8 (0)s. At each step, the remainder part is divided up among the subsequences in the primary part, with the remaining bits being left as the new remainder.

So you divide up the 8 (0)s of the remainder part among the 5 (1)s of the primary part as evenly as you can. This leads you to the new sequence: [(10) (10) (10) (10) (10) (0) (0) (0)]. You now have a primary part consisting of 5 (10)s and 3 (0)s. This corresponds to the calculation

8 = 1 x 5 + 3

because whereas before you had the problem of finding the highest common factor of 8 and 5, now you have the problem of finding the highest common factor of 5 and 3. This is mirrored in the sizes of the primary and remainder parts of the before and after sequences. Do you see what I am getting at?

MacGowans Teeth
Aug 13, 2003

Suspicious Dish posted:

My gripes with it are minor UI inconsistencies, like not having a story for whether the "default" mode is "insert" and "append": "insert" seems to be implemented as "move left", "append", as evidenced by it moving back if you do nothing but exit insert mode after you enter it. But all anchors for things like "change" are taken from the "insert" position.
Yes, this is sort of weird and confusing. It seems like you're meant to hit "a" if you're already in something and need to insert text, but the mode itself is called "insert" and so you're encouraged from the beginning to use "i". I tend to get movements starting with c and d wrong, so I've taken to using the text objects just to be safe, and that has the added advantage of you not needing to have the cursor right at the beginning of the word and remember whether it's going to start from the cursor position or right after it.

Suspicious Dish posted:

If you get used to macros, and get used to emacs, I've found it perfectly adequate for editing. It's nowhere near the cleanliness and beauty of vim, but it works. My issues with it are more about the various functions it's installed with, and the lack of simple documentation (it has over-comprehensive, useless to newbies documentation).
Yes, this. I tried emacs once and it confused the hell out of me. It seems like a potentially powerful programming environment, but I tried it for a couple of hours, got confused, messed something up, couldn't figure out how to revert it, and ended up giving up. Although when I tried it, it was on Windows, and it was some build of emacs specifically for ... something, I don't remember what. So maybe trying it again on Linux would be a different experience.

Cat Plus Plus
Apr 8, 2011

:frogc00l:

ToxicFrog posted:

I think for me it's modality and Normal commands, mostly. It makes the editing just feel better than in non-modal editor. Most editors I've seen are relying on complex multi-modifier shortcuts to provide features like that, and I hate those.

Plus the little gems, like the undo tree. That's really neat.

Suspicious Dish posted:

Cursor moving back is some compatibility crap, I use inoremap <Esc> <Esc>g`^ to get rid of that.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

PiotrLegnica posted:

Cursor moving back is some compatibility crap, I use inoremap <Esc> <Esc>g`^ to get rid of that.

My understanding is that a big pro of vim is that it works everywhere without your special keybindings and customizations. So I tried hard to work within the constraints of vim, because I can't install my random remapped keybindings on everybody's machine.

Titan Coeus
Jul 30, 2007

check out my horn

Suspicious Dish posted:

My understanding is that a big pro of vim is that it works everywhere without your special keybindings and customizations. So I tried hard to work within the constraints of vim, because I can't install my random remapped keybindings on everybody's machine.

I really disagree with this. The stock vim would drive me nuts if I had to use it for anything sizable. I just download a copy of my vimrc (that I host) whenever I use a new computer and it has worked great. The one I linked a few posts ago is solid and easy to find.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Suspicious Dish posted:

code:
function myvim() {
  rsync -aq me@myserver:.vimrc ~/.vimrc
  vim "$@"
  rsync -aq ~/.vimrc me@myserver:.vimrc
}
Paste that into the terminal when you log in (or add it to your .bashrc) and there you go. There's probably even a more elegant way to do this (does vim have a command to load a .vimrc over ssh or something?)

mmm11105
Apr 27, 2010
This may sound like an odd question, but does anyone know of an open source library for chess AI in C#?

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

mmm11105 posted:

This may sound like an odd question, but does anyone know of an open source library for chess AI in C#?

You could try asking the .NET thread.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

mmm11105 posted:

Are you looking to write your own chess playing AI leveraging a toolkit library or do you want to embed a complete chess AI? Would wrapping something like Crafty or another open source chess program that is written in C work?

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Hammerite posted:

Do you see what I am getting at?

Yeah I think so! Most helpful, Thanks!

mmm11105
Apr 27, 2010

taqueso posted:

Are you looking to write your own chess playing AI leveraging a toolkit library or do you want to embed a complete chess AI? Would wrapping something like Crafty or another open source chess program that is written in C work?

Preferably a whole chess AI I could embed. It's for a small bit of a very low time allowance project. Also it's in Unity, so I'm not sure about wrapping C

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

mmm11105 posted:

Preferably a whole chess AI I could embed. It's for a small bit of a very low time allowance project. Also it's in Unity, so I'm not sure about wrapping C

http://chessforeva.blogspot.com/2012/01/c-chess-engines.html
http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/290931/My-Csharp-chess-engine-on-BitBucket
http://archive.msdn.microsoft.com/cshuochess
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/759664/anyone-know-of-a-good-net-chess-engine

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

I didn't see a MongoDB thread anywhere and was curious if anyone has any real experience with optimizing it?

In my use case we store a JSON object that can vary widly per user. Each user can customize the fields of their "survey" and this collection stores a result of that survey. Example insert:

{ _id: ObjectId(), owner_id: ObjectId, survey_id: ObjectId, survey_results: { key1: 'Friendly', key2: 'Not Friendly', key3: 'Likes Cats' } }

The keys change because the surveys can also vary wildly. Now adding searching on to this survey has been painful. Without a proper index it is EXTREMELY slow. Even with queries like (unindexed, this is indexed now but its just an example):

{ owner_id: ObjectID(), survey_id: ObjectId() }

The default searching is sortAndScan. The collection of these documents just hit over 600k and it is insanely slow when the nsscanned objects is over 10k. Anyone with way more experience with Mongo have any ideas of how to optimize this?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

flare posted:

{ _id: ObjectId(), owner_id: ObjectId, survey_id: ObjectId, survey_results: { key1: 'Friendly', key2: 'Not Friendly', key3: 'Likes Cats' } }

The keys change because the surveys can also vary wildly. Now adding searching on to this survey has been painful. Without a proper index it is EXTREMELY slow.

Anyone with way more experience with Mongo have any ideas of how to optimize this?

I can't say I have any real experience, but depending on the number of surveys you have active at a time, maybe consider doing some sort of clustering based on whether surveys are active or archived. Put results from active surveys into their own collections (one collection per survey) and add survey-appropriate keys to each of those collections.
After a period of inactivity, a survey then gets moved into archive, which is a basic collection like you have now, indexed only on the id's of survey and responder. If you need to do analysis on an archived survey later again, you could pull the results back out to the indexed storage.

One more idea, if some surveys are small and gets a low number of responses, you may want to cluster all of those together as well. Then you'd have two basic classes of response collections: Specially indexed and generally indexed. There would then only ever be two generally indexed collections, the archive and the "small surveys" one.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Somewhere I remember someone linking to a method which was more like:

survey_results:[{key:"key1", value:"Friendly"}, {key:"key2", value:"Not Friendly"}, {key:"key3", value:"Likes Cats"}]

A key on survey_results would be over the pairs, which I guess would work so long as you're looking for exact matches. Also for shits and grins you could try using self organizing maps to classify large groups of questions into two dimensional vector spaces then use a geographic index. :q:

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Also since this thread reminded me, what's the canonical way to decorate a deserialized JSON object with methods and whatnot? Setting __prototype__ seems the most straightforward but I didn't know if people have settled on something else like using it as a constructor parameter, some sort of reviver or what. It seems like the sort of idiom that should be common enough for people to settle on 'the right way'.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
__prototype__ is non-standard. You can just use Object.create() instead.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

I looked at that but the fields of the object that you pass to Object.create() are treated as property descriptors. Is there something I'm missing about it?

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
In Excel, how do you search for all cells with errors (#VALUE!) within a workbook?

mister_gosh
May 24, 2002

Why is everything suddenly being pushed to "the cloud"?

I understand storing media such as mp3's in a cloud so your devices can access them from anywhere. That makes sense.

But I've seen managers asking or pushing this buzzword in areas it perhaps doesn't belong. I've seen technologies rebrand their already existing data colocation/rollover as now Cloud enabled (such as Apache Solr sharding which is now SolrCloud).

Hardware is cheaper these days and the majority of companies tend to like their data onsite rather than at some storage cloud company...and the companies that like that type of service already use such a service before it was called a cloud.

Will this poo poo die down or is there some grand thing I'm not understanding?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Buzzword compliance.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
"Cloud computing" is essentially a meaningless term and can be used to refer to almost anything that involves a network connection. Consider your paradigm rightsized.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Internet Janitor posted:

"Cloud computing" is essentially a meaningless term and can be used to refer to almost anything that involves a network connection. Consider your paradigm rightsized.

Or not. There's this thing called "ownCloud", which is a giant PHP script that emulates Dropbox. It's designed to run on your local machine, so there is software out there that has cloudwords that doesn't run over the network.

So yeah, cloud computing is nothing more than vaporware. I don't know why it's picking up steam.

Out of all this, the thing that I'm most surprised about is that more people haven't come up with more weather related puns.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

mister_gosh posted:

Hardware is cheaper these days and the majority of companies tend to like their data onsite rather than at some storage cloud company...and the companies that like that type of service already use such a service before it was called a cloud.

Maybe if you already have the infrastructure in place, but a lot of services like Amazon's EC2 and Heroku didn't become popular IMO until the cloud buzzword took off.

Also there is no end of web 2.0 startups hosting their poo poo in the cloud to cut capex costs. At least not until this second bubble bursts :(

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

mister_gosh posted:

Why is everything suddenly being pushed to "the cloud"?

-snip-

It won't die down. The cloud is a rehash of everything that came before it with one major difference: elasticity (hence the E in EC2). It can be used to:

• Outsource over-provisioning, i.e. handle bursty loads - that is, temporarily inflating your computing power when you need it, and paying less when you don't.
  • Outsource the datacenter operations. Having to go to a datacenter, replace hard drives, configure, troubleshoot, etc. physically can be a time and personnel drain for a company just starting out that has yet to validate their idea.
  • Outsource the platform. i.e. Heroku - so you can just code and deploy.

Nothing you couldn't do before is impossible without a cloud; it just costs money up front and has setup costs and upkeep. As mentioned by Hard NOP Life, it cuts capital expenditures. Imagine if everyone originally shopped at Costco, then grocery stores and bodegas were invented.

---

There is one thing, though, that the cloud sucks at - video encoding. Virtualization fucks with the CPU and I/O dramatically, so if you need the latency you are either going to provision physical servers for it or pay out the nose for a VM which approaches the specs of a full physical server (and will still be slower).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

There is one thing, though, that the cloud sucks at - video encoding. Virtualization fucks with the CPU and I/O dramatically, so if you need the latency you are either going to provision physical servers for it or pay out the nose for a VM which approaches the specs of a full physical server (and will still be slower).

You could conceivably do GPU encoding on Amazon's service if you can find the special snowflake of a GPU encoder that actually works and handles the format(s) you target. Still, probably less cost/effort to buy a Xeon server with 32 cores and spend an hour configuring it.