Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Is it normal to record those phone calls?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

9axle
Sep 6, 2009

Brother Jonathan posted:

Ah, CSX. The biggest collection of brilliant people who can't run a railroad.

CSX is a beautiful example of how Theory X can bring everything to a screeching halt while making management think they are doing a good job. No, we didn't manage to move much freight today, but we did write up a bunch of guys for trivial rule violations and handed in a lot of reports and had lots of meetings and conference calls, so all in all it was a very good day from managements standpoint.

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008

Veins McGee posted:

Wait...I thought CSX was the good east coast Class 1 and NS was the bad one.

I am maybe biased by where I live. Here in the Carolinas among railfans I've chatted with, CSX has a reputation for management clusterfucks and NS has a reputation for bad labor relations. (The NS "dry hopper" toilets were infamous.)

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012

ijustam posted:

So wait, do F40s just stay at max rpm all the time?
When EMD designed the F40, they designed it so that the shaft that turns the HEP generator is directly and constantly linked in to the same shaft that turns the alternator to provide electric current to the traction motors. The HEP generator is only really useful if the alternator for it is turning at the full RPM of the prime mover, forcing the thing to stay at full RPM constantly, and making the traction motors lose about 300 HP. Many railroads later modified the F40 to have an independent, stand alone HEP generator powered by an auxiliary engine. The Grand Canyon Railway spent something like $1.3 million dollars to extend the carbody of one of their F40s, put in a 12 cylinder Caterpillar engine, and a smaller, more efficient alternator. It works quite well, and it's still entirely controllable from the cab of the locomotive.

ijustam posted:

Is that why Amtrak seems to always have 2 locomotives on long-distance routes? One for moving power and another for HEP?
No, that's usually just a safety to keep things moving. If I recall correctly, the P40s and the P42s (Amtrak's main long distance power) were all built with factory standard independent HEP generators.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Brother Jonathan posted:

I am maybe biased by where I live. Here in the Carolinas among railfans I've chatted with, CSX has a reputation for management clusterfucks and NS has a reputation for bad labor relations. (The NS "dry hopper" toilets were infamous.)

They don't call it the Nazi Southern or the Chicken poo poo Express for nothing! Of course, we have nicknames for them all... Cant spell stupid with UP or Big Now, Still hosed.

Oddly enough, KCS doesn't have any nicknames. But I hear out of all class 1's to work for, the KCS is about the best to work for, next to the CN, which just pays ridiculously well.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

When I was a kid and rode MBTA commuter rail more often I used to love to go down and stand by the locomotives at North Station. Something about a locomotive just sitting there "idling" at run 8 was fascinating. At least until my eardrums started to hurt.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Around here the usual nickname is Chemical Spill Express.

Apparently they own the tracks from Boston to Worcester, I used to ride those on the MBTA purple line twice a week and recall some hair raising rides - like the time I accidentally ended up on a disabled/broken car that was being dragged back to Boston for repairs and nearly had my teeth knocked out by the constant pounding from a cracked or badly flat spotted wheel.

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

When I was a kid and rode MBTA commuter rail more often I used to love to go down and stand by the locomotives at North Station. Something about a locomotive just sitting there "idling" at run 8 was fascinating. At least until my eardrums started to hurt.

About two hours of that and -15F temperatures (only 5F in the cab!) are enough to make any person question their career choice.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Alaska Railroad completely solved the problem with F40s. They ONLY have a HEP generator, the prime mover is gone. They make a perfectly fine control car that way.

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008
Some random fun images:

Bailey Yard, North Platte, Nebraska:

(click for friggin' huge)

Buster Keaton in The General:

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

kastein posted:

Around here the usual nickname is Chemical Spill Express.

Apparently they own the tracks from Boston to Worcester,

This was correct up until last week; http://www.mass.gov/governor/pressoffice/pressreleases/2012/20121004-csx-agreement-finalized.html

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Shifty Pony posted:

Some long distance routes like the Texas Eagle run a single locomotive but it is a pretty darn flat route.

I rode Texas Eagle about 2 1/2 years ago. I seem to remember it having 2 engines for at least one major segment of the trip. I'm not 100% positive on this though - I rode it from Dallas to El Paso, then back a week later.

The overnight layover in San Antonio in the middle of winter kinda sucked, though it did give me several hours to get dinner, drinks, and drunkenly wander around downtown SA.

auzdark
Aug 29, 2005

Mercy is the cry of the soul that stirred,
Mercy is the cry and it's never heard.

Brother Jonathan posted:

This just makes me wanna play OpenTTD again.

In other depressing news, the Melbourne railway museum still appears to be closed... I've been waiting over two years to go. Perhaps I should just offer to lend a hand, but some of these communities are rather... creepy...

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Brother Jonathan posted:

Some random fun images:

For any one who really cares, the one to the left is called the "west" yard and right lower one is the "east yard". The reason the east yard is larger is due to the fact of more east bound traffic heading to points east, also a large majority of traffic. Or that is what the north platte guys tell me.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

I figure this is the best thread for it and sorry if it's been discussed ad nauseum (I only went through a few pages) but I'm finally in the market for a quality Christmas train set. I loved my old G scale Lionel set from when I was little and looked forward to the day when I'd have a family of my own and could get a set to use every year around our Christmas tree.

I've spent quite a bit of time in hobby shops over the years due to being involved in R/C cars but I really don't know jack about trains other than they are cool as hell. I don't necessarily need a "Christmas Train" but I'd like to have it be modeled after an older style steam engine and my initial budget is somewhere around $200. I'm really looking for a set that I can add to each year so that when my kids are in high school I will have a train set that would make an old engineer weep with joy.

Anyone here have some advice on where to start? Thanks!

ColonelJohnMatrix fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Oct 13, 2012

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

You can probably get a decent train set for that price. I do remember LGB sets kind of went for that price range, not sure if they still go for that much or not. Lionel is still around too, last I heard.

Marklin went bankrupt a while back, though. I don't recall if they shut down or not.

e: Nope, Marklin bounced back in 2010. Their stuff might be a bit expensive though. I've always wanted one of their Z scale briefcase train sets :allears:

I have a Lionel G scale train myself that a family friend gave to me, along with a ton of O scale trains. The G scale train is a Christmas themed one with a gondola that had ornaments in it (which are not in the set) and a Santa figurine. They did other G scale trains too if I recall (there was a Thomas The Tank Engine set) but I don't remember the line being as well noticed as LGB or Lehmann trains.

Zeether fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Oct 13, 2012

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
Lionel O gauge for life!

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

G scale best scale. My collection is missing a large steam engine, though. On the other hand, I have 2 of the Whitepass diesels LGB used to make.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

DL535 or GE shovelnose?

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

The DL535.

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012
Does anybody else here work or have previously worked for a railway?

As I mentioned earlier, I worked for Grand Canyon Railway for a year and a half. I was a carman, conductor, brakeman, dispatcher, switchman, and hostler helper all rolled into one lanky package. The last few months I was there, I was conductor on almost every work train the railway ran, which worked out to about two days a week for 3 months straight. Most of the time I was dumping ballast, walking alongside the train at 3 miles an hour as the MoW guys opened up the doors on the ballast hoppers. These trains always consisted of a beat up, old, and very trustworthy GP7, five ballast hoppers, and a caboose. Sometimes we'd drop new sticks of rail along the right of way to be replaced later (which meant I got to venture into BNSF territory a bit to pick up the cars loaded with rail!). On the night of Halloween 2011, I helped rebuild a bridge. It was a pretty drat cool job, but the management sucked.

Moving on, I took some cool photos while I was there (but never while on duty - the FRA would fine the poo poo out of me), and I'd like to share them with you. All of these were taken with my lovely little camera phone, so I do apologize for the quality.

First up is me in the cab of the GP7 I mentioned. I never officially operated this locomotive as far as anyone important is concerned, but I did have to pose for this photo of me in the engineer's seat.

Next is the control stand. This little engine has a LOT of character.

Next is my side of the cab. Yes, it was a bit of a mess, but it worked.

Here's the only complaint I ever had about that little engine: the bathroom door. In order to get through this door, which was only two and a half feet tall or so, you had to squat down real low and scooch your way in. Then, when you got in the nose to take a piss, you can't stand up straight because the ceiling is too low.

One day I Somebody decided to mark the emergency brake valve on the conductor's side with this little bit that I really enjoy.

Now, I absolutely hate Xanterra Parks and Resorts and the Grand Canyon Railway company, but I still really enjoy the history behind the railroad, the day to day operations, a lot of my former coworkers who are still there, and the cool equipment they have. As such, I still enjoy taking pictures of the train and my friends because I still live in town and it was a very big part of my life. When the ATSF 3751 visited Williams and Grand Canyon in May of 2012, I had to follow the train and see it for myself. I really wish I had a decent camera at that point, but the memories of two live steam locomotives sitting side by side next to the only log railway depot still in use will always stay with me.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

CharlesM posted:

Is it normal to record those phone calls?
Absolutely. It is a requirement. In order to permanently terminate someone for job abandonment, insubordination, or refusal to protect their job assignment, you need some proof of their behavior.

Brother Jonathan posted:

Some random fun images:

Buster Keaton in The General:

Awesome everything. When someone takes a train west out of the NP yard there, here in Cheyenne we are the next engineers in line to take them west.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

I went to the hobby shop this weekend and looks like I'm just going to spend the extra $ and pickup a Lionel Polar Express set! I'll post pics/impressions of it when I get everything setup.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

I start railway museum volunteer orientation on Saturday :toot:

bytebark
Sep 26, 2004

I hate Illinois Nazis

ijustam posted:

I start railway museum volunteer orientation on Saturday :toot:

Neat. Which museum?

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

http://itm.org/

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
Employed train people: I have an interview on Wednesday for a Mechanical Manager Trainee job at CSX. Any interview tips? I know safety is huge but what else? What can I expect to get asked?

edit: Don't mention any interest in trains whatsoever. I know that's big thing, too.

vains fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Oct 15, 2012

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
If it involves the word "manager", they may ask you the usual "Dealing with problematic (in)subordinates" guff. Remember, people are like pens: If they don't work, you shake them. If they still don't work, you throw them away. :hitler:

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Veins McGee posted:

Employed train people: I have an interview on Wednesday for a Mechanical Manager Trainee job at CSX. Any interview tips? I know safety is huge but what else? What can I expect to get asked?

edit: Don't mention any interest in trains whatsoever. I know that's big thing, too.

Actually the mechanical side of the railroad is pretty chill and relaxed. They are not nearly the Nazis that the transportation side is.

Just stress safety and dealing with people, maybe your mechanical knowledge. Just tell them that you want to work for a company that has a strong foundation and a good future.

In reality though, this is one of the few "life time employment" jobs left in this country. We really are blue collar workers with white collar wages, and that is pretty rare these days.

vains
May 26, 2004

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Actually the mechanical side of the railroad is pretty chill and relaxed. They are not nearly the Nazis that the transportation side is.

Just stress safety and dealing with people, maybe your mechanical knowledge. Just tell them that you want to work for a company that has a strong foundation and a good future.

In reality though, this is one of the few "life time employment" jobs left in this country. We really are blue collar workers with white collar wages, and that is pretty rare these days.

What do you even do on the mechanical side? Just repair and maintenance on cars and engines?

bytebark
Sep 26, 2004

I hate Illinois Nazis
Lots of times railroads will tell you to bring certain things to interviews. They'll phrase it like this: "Please bring the following things with you to your interview: A scientific calculator, three sheets of college-ruled notebook paper, and two sharpened #2 pencils." Do not disregard these instructions, and bring whatever they ask you to bring exactly as the instructions specify. The first thing they'll ask you is if you have these things, and if you don't, the interview won't happen and they'll throw out your application. The requirement for you to bring those things to the interview is a test of your ability to follow instructions.

Also I worked in freight car mechanical for almost three years and was thoroughly miserable for most of it, although I was with leasing firms and not a class 1, so your experience may be different than mine (hopefully better). Because you're interviewing for a management trainee position, I'm assuming you have a college degree; as a result, expect a lot of the old heads you'll be working with to not trust you because you're a "college boy" and didn't work your way up from being a carman right out of high school. Eventually you'll earn "street cred" with some of these guys, but others you won't. Railroads are full of stubborn individuals and it's something you'll just have to deal with.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

bytebark posted:

I'm assuming you have a college degree; as a result, expect a lot of the old heads you'll be working with to not trust you because you're a "college boy" and didn't work your way up from being a carman right out of high school. Eventually you'll earn "street cred" with some of these guys, but others you won't. Railroads are full of stubborn individuals and it's something you'll just have to deal with.
This is just engineering and mechanical jobs in general. Some blood and grease on your hands works wonders.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Mechanical is fixing cars and locomotives.

I also hope you have very thick skin. This job is worse than gossiping women.... we do have a saying

Telephone, Telegraph, Tell a Rail, and find out who spreads the rumor quicker.

We are skittish, distrusting and stubborn as all get out. But there are some great individuals that work here. And some are quite intelligent, of course we have our select dumb asses. But for the most part, every one is here to make a good paycheck and go home.

bytebark posted:

I was with leasing firms and not a class 1, so your experience may be different than mine (hopefully better).

This would most likely be true. Leasing companies are hell, I worked with a guy who got a job here after leaving a leasing company. He said its way better in all aspects.

vains
May 26, 2004

bytebark posted:

Lots of times railroads will tell you to bring certain things to interviews. They'll phrase it like this: "Please bring the following things with you to your interview: A scientific calculator, three sheets of college-ruled notebook paper, and two sharpened #2 pencils." Do not disregard these instructions, and bring whatever they ask you to bring exactly as the instructions specify. The first thing they'll ask you is if you have these things, and if you don't, the interview won't happen and they'll throw out your application. The requirement for you to bring those things to the interview is a test of your ability to follow instructions.

Also I worked in freight car mechanical for almost three years and was thoroughly miserable for most of it, although I was with leasing firms and not a class 1, so your experience may be different than mine (hopefully better). Because you're interviewing for a management trainee position, I'm assuming you have a college degree; as a result, expect a lot of the old heads you'll be working with to not trust you because you're a "college boy" and didn't work your way up from being a carman right out of high school. Eventually you'll earn "street cred" with some of these guys, but others you won't. Railroads are full of stubborn individuals and it's something you'll just have to deal with.

I've read this advice about bringing random stuff elsewhere. This is an online interview but I imagine the next one(assuming I get one) will be like "bring a brandy glass full of brown m&ms."

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Mechanical is fixing cars and locomotives.

I also hope you have very thick skin. This job is worse than gossiping women....

I was a Marine so I think I can handle it but who knows.

Is the pay comparable to NS?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Veins McGee posted:

I've read this advice about bringing random stuff elsewhere. This is an online interview but I imagine the next one(assuming I get one) will be like "bring a brandy glass full of brown m&ms."

I was a Marine so I think I can handle it but who knows.

Is the pay comparable to NS?

I am not sure. I know I hear people say NS is the worst paying railroad but who knows. I work in a territory that is one of the highest paid next to the Canadian National (we have a kick rear end agreement), but I imagine it would be pretty similar.

bytebark
Sep 26, 2004

I hate Illinois Nazis

BrokenKnucklez posted:

This would most likely be true. Leasing companies are hell, I worked with a guy who got a job here after leaving a leasing company. He said its way better in all aspects.

Leasing companies are filled with guys who've put in their time on a class 1, got vested in RRB retirement and got lured away from the railroad on the promise of a good 401K and no traveling.

Lots of leasing companies stay in business in spite of themselves, but the formula for starting one up is pretty standard; get together some Wall Street "venture capitalists" to fund it and sit at the top, buy some old-rear end cars no one else wants, recruit ex-railroad guys to serve as your middle management, and outsource any actual work (billing, customer service, fleet management) to other companies. Congratulations, you're now in the freight car leasing business. Now you just have to find some schmuck dumb enough to lease your ratty, 30+ year old cars (which you can do by lowballing the rate), and once that happens you have a "sustainable business model" and hopefully soon you'll get bought out by another leasing company. Profit!

bytebark fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Oct 16, 2012

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Log082 posted:

G scale best scale. My collection is missing a large steam engine, though. On the other hand, I have 2 of the Whitepass diesels LGB used to make.
No HO love?

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Nope. If the engine isn't larger than my cat, it's not really a train set. And if the layout doesn't take up two separate rooms, it's not really Christmas.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Hah, I prefer N scale myself because it always seems to me you can actually have proper lines and geometry in a reasonable amount space.

An uncle in law has a fancy new HO scale layout and even though it takes up most of the room there's only enough space for an elongated oval more and the engine with a few carriages takes up slightly less than half of the total length of the line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005

God drat truck drivers. I swear to god, half of them are mentally retarded and the other half seriously have me wondering...