Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
javascript, like the rest of the web, is always decades behind the rest of computing. they'll have multithreading in about 20 years and claim it to be revolutionary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

They'll get green threads and tell everyone it's the best thing since nonblocking io

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
green threads are a thing that exists tho

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

For JS even? Then they'll be the next big thing once JS devs realize that callbacks have shortcomings

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
One thread, Two thread, Red thread, Blue thread,
Black thread, Blue thread, Old thread, New thread.
This one has a little car.
This one has a little star.
Say! What a lot of threads there are.
Yes. Some are red, and some are blue.
Some are old and some are new.
Some are sad, and some are glad,
And some are very, very bad.
Why are they sad and glad and bad?
I do not know, go ask your dad.
Some are thin, and some are fat.
The fat one has a yellow hat.
From there to here,
From here to there,
Funny things are everywhere.
Here are some who like to run.
They run for fun in the hot, hot sun.
Oh me! Oh my! Oh me! oh my!
What a lot of funny things go by.
Some have two feet and some have four.
Some have six feet and some have more.
Where do they come from? I can't say.
But I bet they have come a long, long way.
we see them come, we see them go.
Some are fast. Some are slow.
Some are high. Some are low.
Not one of them is like another.
Don't ask us why, go ask your mother.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zY-IueSMAPc

this is the bestest :3:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Nomnom Cookie posted:

For JS even? Then they'll be the next big thing once JS devs realize that callbacks have shortcomings
no i mean green threads are an actual thing that exists in the world somewhere. non-blocking io is an oxymoron

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
nio it's not

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

lol

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

tef posted:

nio it's not

the only time you can have non-blocking io is when you dont care what the result of the io operation is. this means it doesnt matter what any of the rest of your code does.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
theres a difference between a particular task blocking (which drat sure happens in node.js) and the whole multi-task system blocking, not that nodefans know the difference or care

salted hash browns
Mar 26, 2007
ykrop
What is going to happen to Django with python 3.0?

Meiwaku
Jan 10, 2011

Fun for the whole family!

salted hash browns posted:

What is going to happen to Django with python 3.0?

It's deprecated, it's all just deprecated to hell god drat it.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
what should I know about django

I have this interview and I already said I don't know much about django and it's not a requirement to be django proficient but anyway what should I say about it other than I like the original movie but I'm not sure about quentin tarantino's...

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I mean the dude already made kung fu, horror and war movies. is he really cut for western? I don't know man

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008

Shaggar posted:

the only time you can have non-blocking io is when you dont care what the result of the io operation is. this means it doesnt matter what any of the rest of your code does.

lol

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008
~shaggar~

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Shaggar posted:

no i mean green threads are an actual thing that exists in the world somewhere. non-blocking io is an oxymoron

You're an oxymoron.

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008
i mean you're going to have to wait on the result of the io at some point if you care about the result, but that doesn't mean you can't do other stuff before that

i guess shaggar is technically right in a really weird and borderline wrong way

X-BUM-RAIDER-X fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Oct 16, 2012

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
shaggar is the best poster in yospos lmao

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
and to think, i once had him on ignore :(

im sorry shags
truly

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

OBAMA BIN LOADIN posted:

i mean you're going to have to wait on the result of the io at some point if you care about the result, but that doesn't mean you can't do other stuff before that

i guess shaggar is technically right in a really weird and borderline wrong way

you cant do anything that depends on the result of the io. and anything thats not dependant on the io is happening in another thread anyway so you're still blocked on the return of the io thread.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the only time i think io results dont matter ever are any kind of udp streaming stuff. games/video/voice. where even if you could detect the failure its too late to fix it because the game state/video/conversation is already past where that data mattered.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

shaggar is the best poster in yospos lmao

;-*

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008

Shaggar posted:

you cant do anything that depends on the result of the io. and anything thats not dependant on the io is happening in another thread anyway so you're still blocked on the return of the io thread.

yeah that's why i said you were technically right. it's good, for example, if you want to kick off multiple IOs in parallel and have them block on a semaphore or something. it's the non-blocking nature of the io that allows this but yeah it's still blocks until the return of all of the IO essentially.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
In the world of green threads you run your io on its own thread anyway when you dont want it to block non-io dependant processing (ex: ui). So the idea that node.js provides some major improvement by hiding the blocking io is even more retarded because its users dont understand how they own poo poo works.

or even worse, they actually believe its magical and because they use a web-scale "database" they dont need to handle an io result event before moving on with their workflow. "transactional data???? pffft that takes too long. just do a dirty write and we'll delete all the bad records before it goes to reporting"

there are no situations where node.js is a good thing. javascript and web "development" are the worst and promote the worst habits + developers.

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008
node.js is garbage and i'm disappointed that ted dziuba took down his post about it since it owned node.js developers pretty badly

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Shaggar posted:

or even worse, they actually believe its magical and because they use a web-scale "database" they dont need to handle an io result event before moving on with their workflow. "transactional data???? pffft that takes too long. just do a dirty write and we'll delete all the bad records before it goes to reporting"

You seem to be confusing write cacheing with nonblocking IO. They are not the same. You are dumb.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
can you even do transactions w/ scrub-tier fake (non-relational) databases?

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Shaggar posted:

Yup, you just put a global lock server in your deployment. :suicide:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
lmao, for real?

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

Shaggar posted:

not sure what the purpose of transactions would be in a k-v store

do you mean to avoid r-w/w-w conflicts or what

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
to guarantee data integrity, but i guess you dont (cant) really care about that if its a fake db.

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

p. much

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
so its not so much "non-blocking" io as it is "doesnt matter if it works" io

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Milkie Galore posted:

not sure what the purpose of transactions would be in a k-v store

do you mean to avoid r-w/w-w conflicts or what

code:
db.write(person_record);
db.write(fact_about_person_record);
Transactions avoid you ending up with nonsense in your db when one of those fails.

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

Zombywuf posted:

code:
db.write(person_record);
db.write(fact_about_person_record);
Transactions avoid you ending up with nonsense in your db when one of those fails.

also traditional race-conditions when updating any sort of sum over values

code:
db.put(key, value)
db.put(sumKey, db.get(sumKey) + value);

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Win8 Hetro Experie posted:

code:
db.put(key, value)
db.put(sumKey, db.get(sumKey) + value);

:barf:

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

well when your data doesn't conform to a strict schema and you need to write a distributed map-reduce query just to figure out your schema so you can write a distributed map-reduce query to calculate a sum,

updating a simple sum-value with every little addition doesn't sound so bad anymore :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i dont have any problems that could use mapreduce so i've never used it