Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

I've been playing FF2 lately, using a mod for the GBA version that changes the leveling formulas. I haven't noticed it that much, since it's really hard to not get overpowered at the start and steamroll the rest of the game. :v:

Camel Pimp posted:

By "attack" you do mean attack power and not strength, right? Because 43 for two weapons combined is... pretty lovely. That and defense works kind of... oddly in FF2.
When dual-wielding, the weapon power you see in the status screen is not what's actually used. In pretty much every FF game with dual-wielding, the number shown is the sum of your two weapons, even though they're calculated separately.

Dr Pepper posted:

This also means duel-wielding is a trap.

Your evasion is increased by dodging attacks, so you want your characters to be on the front line with shields.

On the other hand, if you dual-wield, you can gain weapon EXP twice as fast. Weapons might be able to give evasion, but that might be the mod I'm playing. Can someone check that?

Camel Pimp posted:

Getting agility is tied to your evasion, technically. Your base evasion is your agility plus or minus your equipment's evasion properties, so it's a little more complicated than that. But that is more or less the right idea.

It's still pretty hosed though. I'll defend FF2 to my dying day, but that bit of insanity I can't.

The first time I played FF2, the setup I ran on Guy was the worst evasion setup possible: Bare hands with heavy armor. When I beat the Emperor he had 5 agility. He never gained a single point in the entire game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Krad posted:

So, I finished FF XIII-2.

Jesus Christ SE, why couldn't you do this the first time around? I can't believe how good it is (considering it's a sequel and all). Definitely want to plat it eventually.

Could you please explain the game's plot, without referencing the Final Fantasy Wiki?

I'd like to hear how it would be summarised by someone who isn't Azure Horizon, who's clearly read the entire datalogue and Ultimatim guides, so can handwave every bullshit plot point from something you'd never experience in the game.

Also, did you encounter the problem I had, where about two hours in I had a little too much experience and just sleepwalked through the rest of the game, until the final boss? Did you ever put the game down for months because you needed more of those engine parts that Hope wanted, but every single one was behind a gate that needed a wild artefact?
Did you ever get a weird look from someone who saw the outfit Serah was wearing while you were playing?

I'm not having a go at you, and it's great you enjoyed this game even if I didn't. I'm just wondering if by some miracle you managed to get through the game without encountering any of these problems.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Krad posted:

So, I finished FF XIII-2.

Jesus Christ SE, why couldn't you do this the first time around? I can't believe how good it is (considering it's a sequel and all). Definitely want to plat it eventually.

Glad you enjoyed it! I can't wait to see what they have in store for Lightning Returns.

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'

That loving Sned posted:

Could you please explain the game's plot, without referencing the Final Fantasy Wiki?

I'd like to hear how it would be summarised by someone who isn't Azure Horizon, who's clearly read the entire datalogue and Ultimatim guides, so can handwave every bullshit plot point from something you'd never experience in the game.

I'd like to give it a try:

Etro did a bad thing which caused a knock on effect allowing a nihilistic thespian to travel back in time, absorb Etro and spend the rest of the game trying to stop Noel and Sera from saving the world. When he dies, Etro dies and all of existence comes to a standstill. Noel and Sera are told explicitly beforehand by Lightning that if Etro dies things get really bad, and also that the heart of Chaos is the life essence of etro, yet they fight and kill Caius anyway. It's retarded hero syndrome all over again like in XIII. Also Sazh gambles or something.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
As someone who enjoyed the battle system of FFXIII but found the rest of the game so uninspiring that I turned it off halfway through and never picked it up again, would I enjoy FFXIII? Is the plot separate enough that I'll understand it without finishing XIII?

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

TL posted:

As someone who enjoyed the battle system of FFXIII but found the rest of the game so uninspiring that I turned it off halfway through and never picked it up again, would I enjoy FFXIII? Is the plot separate enough that I'll understand it without finishing XIII?

Yeah, there are a few references to things that happened (you can probably pick it up from context/flashbacks, or if not there's a recap you can scan through) but it's mostly doing its own thing.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Miracon posted:

On the other hand, if you dual-wield, you can gain weapon EXP twice as fast. Weapons might be able to give evasion, but that might be the mod I'm playing. Can someone check that?

Ok, here we go. This is for GBA FF2:

quote:

Stat Leveling Mechanics

These are the mechanics for how stats raise. The more rounds a battle
lasts, the more likely you are to get a stat boost. HP and MP are the only
stats that are a total exception to this rule. Your chances for those
range from 1-in-2 to 1-in-64, depending on how much damage is taken or MP
is used during a round of combat; the more damage taken or MP used,
the better.

HP: Lose HP in battle; 1-in-2 to 1-in-64 chance, depends on HP lost
[Editors note: in FF2GBA characters automatically gain HP after a certain number of battles to help the numbers keep pace better]
MP: Lose MP in battle; 1-in-2 to 1-in-64 chance, depends on MP lost
Strength: Select Attack; 1-in-16 chance
Intelligence: Use a black magic spell; 1-in-16 chance
Spirit: Use a white magic spell; 1-in-16 chance
Magic: Use any spell; 1-in-16 chance
Stamina: Get hit by physical attacks; 1-in-16 chance
Agility: Be targeted by and evade enemies' attacks; 1-in-16 chance
Evasion: Be targeted by enemies' physical attacks; goes up every 64
Magic Evasion: Be targeted by enemies' magical attacks; goes up every 64

Note here that your 'Evasion' is a small number that represents how many of the a single number of attacks can be avoided. Remember that FF 1 & 2 use the 'X hits for X*Y damage' formula for physical attacks.

You have a separate Evasion Percentage that represents the likelihood of evading each attack. The formula for this is
code:
EVA = (Agility + Weapon Evasion + (Weapon Evasion * Weapon Level) + 
       Shield Evasion + (Shield Evasion * Shield Level)) - Armor Evasion Penalty
So, let's assume you have an Evasion of 5, and a calculated Evasion Percentage of 63. An enemy attacks you with a 7 hit attack with perfect accuracy.

You will immediately get hit by and take damage from the first two attacks. Each of the next five will have a 63% chance of missing. Because some of the attacks hit, you can not gain agility from this.

The end section of this guide goes into detail about all the mechanics people keep asking about.

The short story about shields is: you can dual-wield to level weapons, but always wear a shield in actual combat because without one your evasion percentage sucks and without the ability to avoid attacks you will never gain agility.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

That loving Sned posted:

I only watched the LP, but the plot didn't really seem that confusing. It might've been stupid (I thought it was at least alright, to be honest) and some parts were pointless (like say, anything with Lightning) but it wasn't anywhere near the previous game in terms of confusion.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
FF4DS: Should I give any fucks about min/maxing augments or should I lobotomize myself and play like they don't matter?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Toshimo posted:

FF4DS: Should I give any fucks about min/maxing augments or should I lobotomize myself and play like they don't matter?

Give Augments you don't want to characters that you know will leave the party. That aside, who gets what Augment is usually pretty clearcut.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Toshimo posted:

You need to give temporary party members at least 2 augments in order to get the ones for their useful skills. For Palom and Polom, they need to have a combined three equipped to them in order to get DoubleCast.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

That loving Sned posted:

I'll admit beforehand that I didn't get half of the stuff they were throwing at me, but here it goes:

At the end of XIII, Lightning and crew were supposed to be turned into Cieth, but the goddess intervened and saved them in the end. This, for some reason, broke the timeline, creating endless paradoxes at every point in time. Lightning got sucked into Valhalla, which I guess is the equivalent of the End of Time from CT, except that the goddess is supposed to live there. She finds out that Caius wants to destroy the timeline/the goddess/bring down Cocoon, so she sends Noel to find Serah so they can both stop him. Fastforward to the end of the game, Caius wanted to destroy everything so that Yeul would stop dying for five minutes. Or maybe because he wanted Noel to finally kill him and take his place. But that also meant that the goddess would die because... yeah. I don't know. All I know is that half of the game's plot would be solved in two minutes if people would stop insisting on keeping Cocoon afloat and just lived on the ground.

So maybe I understood way less than I thought I did at first. Still, it was good to have a proper RPG with XIII's battle system, that's why I mainly liked the game, honestly.

Serah's outfit is no worse than most JRPG heroine's, unless you bought some of her DLC ones. I never felt overpowered, and I did run out of wild artifacts when I needed those cores. I just used a guide at that point because I couldn't even find the cores once I could open enough gates.

My only complain would be that every "alternate" zone is virtually the same. They could've tried to make them way more different from each other, like the three Academia's. Other than that, it's fun. :)

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.

Momomo posted:

You need to give temporary party members at least 2 augments in order to get the ones for their useful skills. For Palom and Polom, they need to have a combined three equipped to them in order to get DoubleCast.

However, you only have a pool of four augments at the time, and one of those really aught to go on Cecil. Furthermore, two of those augments have to be found, and while they're not missable, if you don't find them before it's too late, you miss out. It's really annoying.

Really, the most important augments you get is Draw Attacks, and that's gotten through the course of the story. Put it on Cecil (along with Counter if you still have it) and the game gets a lot easier.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
The real trick is not to give Edward any augments because Salve and Hide are useless. Give Auto-Potion, Item Lore, and Curse to the twins, get Dualcast for Rydia/Rosa, win game.

And yeah, Cecil with Draw Attacks, Counter, and (later) Brace puts the game into easy mode for a considerable portion of the story.

E: Started my 2nd playthrough of FF4DS the other day and I still love it because you have to treat each battle like a puzzle to solve with full knowledge of the game mechanics. I cannot imagine beating Scarmiglione's 2nd form in this game without knowing to switch party rows beforehand. Even fully decked out in augments and with two pairs of adamant armor he (and Mom Bomb!) nearly killed me.

But Rocks Hurt Head fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Oct 13, 2012

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?

That loving Sned posted:

I think I have this problem where I just never really care about the specifics of rpg plots. Maybe it is because they are usually terrible anyway or maybe it's because you will never be able to accurately explain the feel of something that took 30-50 hours to play with what was summed up before the last boss. If someone asked me to explain the plot of FF-13-2 I would probably never even mention Etro because to me the plot was about a girl trying to save her sister who fell into a time vortex and a guy trying not to be the last human being who ever existed and they are doing this by traveling through time and solving problems and helping out dudes. That was the feel of it while I was playing for 90 percent of the game and it was why it was fun.

I mean, I know I should hate Chrono Cross too because it is a dumb dumb plot, but to me the plot had nothing to with the text dumps right at the end, the main thrust of the plot was actually about a boy trying to get back to his correct timeline and then try to get his body back. That was the feel of the story while playing it and a text dump at the end doesn't change it for me. I just think these games are so drat long that the real plot is the adventure, not the ending. I fully admit I am dumb and like dumb things though.

ParliamentOfDogs fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Oct 14, 2012

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I agree, but I think that's mostly because Etro wasn't an active player in the plot, it was simply what technically got it started through retconning. After that, it's less of a person and more of an item that needs to be destroyed.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

The real trick is not to give Edward any augments because Salve and Hide are useless. Give Auto-Potion, Item Lore, and Curse to the twins, get Dualcast for Rydia/Rosa, win game.

What? Don't give Curse away. Curse works on pretty every boss in the game. It's like the best debuff ever.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Momomo posted:

I agree, but I think that's mostly because Etro wasn't an active player in the plot, it was simply what technically got it started through retconning. After that, it's less of a person and more of an item that needs to be destroyed.

I'm not sure if it was retconning since what directly caused XIII-2 is right in the ending of the original XIII, and it was never explained.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Why in gods name would ff3 ds use Vancian magic :gonk:

Or whatever lovely system the NES games used. Seriously, what the gently caress.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Thanks guys! While the story is still both badly written and poorly told, at least I now have some context for the tedious poo poo I did for those 20 hours.

Was Etro foreshadowed in FFXIII in any way, or is she just a massive retcon? Of course, that's impossible, considering that everything Toriyama has written has been meticulously planned out for the next 5 entries in the FFXIII septilogy.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Pollyanna posted:

Or whatever lovely system the NES games used. Seriously, what the gently caress.

Because the original did, and 3DS was meant to preserve the original intent of III as much as possible, as far as I remember.

I dunno, the only time I found it to be problematic was Nepto's Shrine, but that's more because Nepto's Shrine was a piece of poo poo.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Kyrosiris posted:

Because the original did, and 3DS was meant to preserve the original intent of III as much as possible, as far as I remember.

I dunno, the only time I found it to be problematic was Nepto's Shrine, but that's more because Nepto's Shrine was a piece of poo poo.

I only barely escaped that place with my life after destroying the Giant Rat with like 53 HP on Arc left.

Now I'm stuck on that lovely tower, if that's even where I'm supposed to be now. I went to the Argo castle or whatever and there was no one there, am I doing this right?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

That loving Sned posted:

Was Etro foreshadowed in FFXIII in any way, or is she just a massive retcon?

Nope.

She is retroactively added in to explain poo poo. It's on that hazy line between an outright "retcon", and "poo poo we left blank because we had no loving idea".

Pollyanna posted:

Now I'm stuck on that lovely tower, if that's even where I'm supposed to be now. I went to the Argo castle or whatever and there was no one there, am I doing this right?

Is it Hein's Castle? Because that's where you're meant to be if so. You've got to make your way to the top to kill Hein.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Pesky Splinter posted:

Nope.

She is retroactively added in to explain poo poo. It's on that hazy line between an outright "retcon", and "poo poo we left blank because we had no loving idea".

Is it Hein's Castle? Because that's where you're meant to be if so. You've got to make your way to the top to kill Hein.

Tower of Owen I mean. I:

Got the ship (i accidentally typed poo poo and considered leaving it there god it is so loving slow)
Went to the invaded place
Trekked across the desert
Met the descendents of Ancients
Rode a Chocobo around the world
Got on ship towards castle
Explored castle
Met Gulgian Crevasse people or whatever the gently caress they're blind
Went to tower
Died in tower
Went back to get weapons and equipment because my team's classes suck mondo cock (why do thieves always suck :()
Now: ???

edit: Is there any point to swapping classes around occasionally or should I just stick to one for a while? Do I get bonuses for getting JL in other jobs?

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

That loving Sned posted:

Thanks guys! While the story is still both badly written and poorly told, at least I now have some context for the tedious poo poo I did for those 20 hours.

Was Etro foreshadowed in FFXIII in any way, or is she just a massive retcon? Of course, that's impossible, considering that everything Toriyama has written has been meticulously planned out for the next 5 entries in the FFXIII septilogy.

She's all up in the datalog but never mentioned in the narrative. There are Yeul quotes in there as well.

Tempo 119 fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Oct 16, 2012

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Also, about FF3, should I be playing the DS or Android version?

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
Neither, get a NES emulator and download the Famicom version. The DS remake (and the ports based on it) absolutely miss the point of what made the original version fun.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Bonaventure posted:

Neither, get a NES emulator and download the Famicom version. The DS remake (and the ports based on it) absolutely miss the point of what made the original version fun.

I'm scared to ask what that was.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pesky Splinter posted:

Nope.

This isn't correct actually. She is foreshadowed, but primarily in unlockable material earned from completing the side/post-game content.

That doesn't make FFXIII-2's plot any less mind-blisteringly stupid.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Pollyanna posted:

I'm scared to ask what that was.

LESS grinding, believe it or not :v: You get CP after battle to change jobs, none of that "job sickness" bullshit.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

That loving Sned posted:

Etro is mentioned in the Datalogs and Analects along with Yeul, and straight up creates the ending of FFXIII. Etro's Gate is seen behind Orphan in the final battle.

The XIII-2 twist was planned, if not all that well thought out.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Bellmaker posted:

LESS grinding, believe it or not :v: You get CP after battle to change jobs, none of that "job sickness" bullshit.

I dunno, it helps if you don't know exactly what kind of team you want and you end up switching around a lot. The UI improvement helps a whole lot, too...

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
Yes FF3 is actually best on the NES I think.

It was released fairly late into the NES's lifespan, it's actually held up reasonably well in terms of playability unlike say FF1 which was fun when you were 10 or whatever but is kind of a chore to play in its original form today.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Pollyanna posted:

Honestly Vancian is actually more generous than MP once you hit higher levels (45+). You might not be able to cast Ultima 9*Elixir times, but you bet your rear end you'll be able to cast your most powerful spell more times than you'll actually need to.

I dunno why, I've always rather liked Vancian.

Ross posted:

Yes FF3 is actually best on the NES I think.

It was released fairly late into the NES's lifespan, it's actually held up reasonably well in terms of playability unlike say FF1 which was fun when you were 10 or whatever but is kind of a chore to play in its original form today.
Yeah, unfortunately, FF1 suffers from "lovely interface" syndrome. Kinda wish they'd make an "original mode" remake with the same old damage:HP numbers but with bugfixes. Vancian wizards, 1/256 chance of instant-death spells passing Protect equipment, no Phoenix Downs, Life only works outside of battle, all that except this time Temper works and you can buy 99 Potions at once.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Oct 16, 2012

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Pollyanna posted:

Also, about FF3, should I be playing the DS or Android version?

The PSP version apparently has a fast-forward feature, so there's that.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

ImpAtom posted:

This isn't correct actually. She is foreshadowed, but primarily in unlockable material earned from completing the side/post-game content.

That doesn't make FFXIII-2's plot any less mind-blisteringly stupid.

You're right;

"The Goddess pitied mortals, destined as they were to die, and so She deigned to intervene in the hour of their greatest peril. She averted cataclysm that was to be, and put to rest the ones who would have robbed so many of what time fate had ordained."

I stand corrected then.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Azure_Horizon posted:

Etro is mentioned in the Datalogs and Analects along with Yeul, and straight up creates the ending of FFXIII. Etro's Gate is seen behind Orphan in the final battle.

The XIII-2 twist was planned, if not all that well thought out.

OK. I'll have to check out the final battle again.

It's odd, because I assumed that the Fal'Cie were the gods of Pulse and Cocoon, but now there's some actual gods running around and ruining things. At this point, I kinda wish the reason the party survived at the end of the game was due to their unbreakable bond of trust and friendship, not because of some deity feeling sorry for them and using a 'get out of jail free' card.

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

Think of Final Fantasy 13 as a God Feudal system where power is granted to lower and lower levels for favors with humans being the lowest point.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Azure_Horizon posted:

I'm not sure if it was retconning since what directly caused XIII-2 is right in the ending of the original XIII, and it was never explained.

Serah's memory being different from reality is retconning, at least. I actually kind of like it, but there's no way that was planned from the start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That loving Sned posted:

OK. I'll have to check out the final battle again.

It's odd, because I assumed that the Fal'Cie were the gods of Pulse and Cocoon, but now there's some actual gods running around and ruining things. At this point, I kinda wish the reason the party survived at the end of the game was due to their unbreakable bond of trust and friendship, not because of some deity feeling sorry for them and using a 'get out of jail free' card.

The entire point of the Fal'cie in the original game was that they weren't the almighty Gods and were effectively trapped in a giant Focus of their own that they wanted to get out of. Which should have been a lot more interesting than they pulled off.