Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

astrollinthepork posted:

That reminds me, basic riding equipment here in central Ohio seems to consist of an Iron Pony t-shirt and a tapout drawstring back pack. Is that common?

Not around here in SE Pennsylvania, thank god. Tapout is the best signifier you're a wanna-be hard man just looking for an excuse to fight someone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I didn't even know what Tapout or Ed Hardy (?) were until this year. :raise:

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I didnt know ed hardy till I saw some parody called the ed hardy boys.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Doesn't ed hardy's son post in YOSPOS?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Xovaan posted:

I didn't even know what Tapout or Ed Hardy (?) were until this year. :raise:

Where the hell do you live? That was over and done with like... 5 years ago here. :psyduck:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Snowdens Secret posted:

Doesn't ed hardy's son post in YOSPOS?

Seriously? Who is he?

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Tapout is going strong in Queensland, I don't know what Ed Hardy is though except that he's some supermarket mogul or something?

_Dav
Dec 24, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

Seriously? Who is he?

Changes his name fairly often, but yeah he's one of the resident artists in the tattoo thread.

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

astrollinthepork posted:

That reminds me, basic riding equipment here in central Ohio seems to consist of an Iron Pony t-shirt and a tapout drawstring back pack. Is that common?

The air conditioning at QSL on polaris sucks, brah. I ain't gonna be sweatin' all night for the 6 weeks a year I ride.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

BlackMK4 posted:

Where the hell do you live? That was over and done with like... 5 years ago here. :psyduck:

I'm from Southern California, next to a marine base. :ms:

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Xovaan posted:

Is it 29 Palms?

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Camp Pendleton. I am in Carlsbad so we get the trickle down of dumb throughout our region

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Tapout/Affliction are a running joke around military bases, particularly Army/Marine bases (the joke is on the soldiers.) They're so prevalent I thought for a while they were one of the in-house brands for the PXs.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

Xovaan posted:

That's even more confusing. At least around here, the military crowd seemed to wear that poo poo exclusively.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Snowdens Secret posted:

Tapout/Affliction are a running joke around military bases, particularly Army/Marine bases (the joke is on the soldiers.) They're so prevalent I thought for a while they were one of the in-house brands for the PXs.

We have a song over here...

quote:

I'm a big douche at the Scottsdale bars, at the Scottsdale bars, at the Scottsdale bars
I'm a big douche at the Scottsdale bars, at the Scottsdale bars, at the Scottsdale bars

Look at me, look at me
Fake millionaire that makes 30 Gs
I lie to all kinds of girls and hope that they'll come home and sleep with me

I could tell you I could score some blow
I could tell you I'm a movie director
Spray on Axe 'til my eyes swell up
My skin burns but I smell much better

I drive a used BMW
Parked right in between those other two
Only 96 more payments and then I can rip up the IOU

Me and my friends have frosted tips
Me and my friends live to get ripped
'Cause if I see the picture lady I wanna look good for the pics 'cause,

Look at me, look at me
Claim I'm straight in designer jeans
High fives to all my bros who go out searching for hos with me
I go from club to club until I score
I sneak in to the VIP
I give it to cougars in the back door then tell my friends she was 18

I Spend lots of money on my hair products
So it can hold up to severe weather conditions
I keep ahead in business and thanks to them my dome looks bitchin'

Hotties, fatties, and all you cougars, me and my friends are gonna throw game to ya
I don't stalk girls it's called persistence
And yes my hair is wind resistant, 'cause,

Look at me, look at me
Pretending I'm on top
And my new tribal tattoo makes the panties go drop
My cocaine addiction, my cola is pure
My shirt is Affliction, my classes Dior
I can lie about expensive vacations
How Heather gave me oral gratification
And say I'm the Cardinals new rookie sensation
Or maybe I own this radio station
Eating six dollar burgers with Gavin Maloof
Here's my receipt that I kept as proof
And did I even mention I know all the Kama Sutra moves

Can I get to 80 with no DUI, no DUI, no DUI
Then we can park at Tempe lake and we can both get high, we can both get high, we can both get high

Read more: http://artists.letssingit.com/blobots-lyrics-scottsdale-bars-c64fnzw#ixzz29UAzrqdE
LetsSingIt - Your favorite Music Community

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

BlackMK4 posted:

We have a song over here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=zYopylSYyCQ

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
Funny you should all be talking about Phoenix. I was just at a Ride Now trying on a few helmets and had some random guy walk up to me with this whole speech about how dangerous helmets are. Apparently if you crash with your helmet on you're going to snap your neck like a twig. Also, you can't see well enough to be sure you're not changing lanes into someone because you can't twist your neck well enough to see while wearing one.

Where do people come up with this poo poo?

Also, one of the motorcycle salesmen was talking about how he was "out carving the canyons every weekend." but had somehow never heard of Yarnell, Prescott, Jerome, Salt River Canyon, or the 191.

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
I didn't like the others, they were all too flat.

aventari posted:

So I don't get much grief from cagers about riding, but I do get the "BUT IT'S SO DANGEROUS" thing once in a while. I just smile and say something lame about how I usually wear gear and ride safely.

What's a good response to that? My mindset is that it's a calculated risk that's worth it to me but I don't have a way to cleverly or succinctly put that

I just shrug and say that I make my own safety. Or if I'm feeling snarky, I point out that I'm the only one I'm putting at risk. Crash a bike, I die alone. Crash an Escalade, whatever I hit is maimed or killed. Unless it's another Escalade.

What I usually get is called nuts. Because everyone around here is afraid of 395. Or because I ride in rain and winter cold and whatnot.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Back when 103.9 wasn't poo poo :(

KodiakRS posted:

Also, one of the motorcycle salesmen was talking about how he was "out carving the canyons every weekend." but had somehow never heard of Yarnell, Prescott, Jerome, Salt River Canyon, or the 191.

I17 looks kinda like a canyon in parts :v:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

aventari posted:

So I don't get much grief from cagers about riding, but I do get the "BUT IT'S SO DANGEROUS" thing once in a while. I just smile and say something lame about how I usually wear gear and ride safely.

What's a good response to that? My mindset is that it's a calculated risk that's worth it to me but I don't have a way to cleverly or succinctly put that

I've said it about biking and I've said it about smoking*: "I don't tell you how to commit suicide."

*I no longer smoke.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Safety Dance posted:

I've said it about biking and I've said it about smoking*:

"Yeah, that's the plan." :emo:

Safety Dance posted:

*I no longer smoke.

2-1/2 months :hfive:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Bucephalus posted:

2-1/2 months :hfive:

It gets easier. I'm at >2 years. It helps that I decided to quit just before I met my current girlfriend, who is anti-smoking.

If it weren't for that and the fact that I used to wake up with my lungs hurting, though, I'd still do it.

Wulframn
Jul 6, 2012

sexy fast velociraptor

KodiakRS posted:

Funny you should all be talking about Phoenix. I was just at a Ride Now trying on a few helmets and had some random guy walk up to me with this whole speech about how dangerous helmets are. Apparently if you crash with your helmet on you're going to snap your neck like a twig. Also, you can't see well enough to be sure you're not changing lanes into someone because you can't twist your neck well enough to see while wearing one.

Where do people come up with this poo poo?

Oh please, we get this kind of poo poo all the time. Go look back through the thread and you'll see numerous posts of "But helmets are loving more dangerous than wearing a giant spike pointed at your face!" and other stupid poo poo.

I had someone point out to me, one day, that helmets aren't effective at real world speeds. I politely pointed out that racers ride the asphalt on their face at 100mph with their full-face helmet on regularly and they seem to be OK when they get back up. How is 100mph+ not "real world speeds"?

Next time they comment on your wearing a helmet you just point back out to them that when you crash you're going to get right back up and walk away.

Mr. Eric Praline posted:

I just shrug and say that I make my own safety. Or if I'm feeling snarky, I point out that I'm the only one I'm putting at risk. Crash a bike, I die alone. Crash an Escalade, whatever I hit is maimed or killed. Unless it's another Escalade.

What I usually get is called nuts. Because everyone around here is afraid of 395. Or because I ride in rain and winter cold and whatnot.

drat straight - I used to drive a Dodge Ram 1500 with the full quad-cab. 5.9l of V8 fury; if i go down I'm taking everyone else around me with me! :v:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Wulframn posted:

I had someone point out to me, one day, that helmets aren't effective at real world speeds. I politely pointed out that racers ride the asphalt on their face at 100mph with their full-face helmet on regularly and they seem to be OK when they get back up. How is 100mph+ not "real world speeds"?

"I ain't ridin' mah Harley at a hunnert miles an' hour! Bar's only two miles down th' road, an' I wanna enjoy the ride. 'Born to ride,' that's what mah tattoo says here."

Wulframn
Jul 6, 2012

sexy fast velociraptor

Safety Dance posted:

"I ain't ridin' mah Harley at a hunnert miles an' hour! Bar's only two miles down th' road, an' I wanna enjoy the ride. 'Born to ride,' that's what mah tattoo says here."

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/07/03/motorcyclist-killed-while-riding-without-helmet-to-protest-new-york-helmet-law/

Yeah, I know it is that liberal propaganda coming from Fox News and all, but... you know...

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Wulframn posted:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/07/03/motorcyclist-killed-while-riding-without-helmet-to-protest-new-york-helmet-law/

Yeah, I know it is that liberal propaganda coming from Fox News and all, but... you know...

He probably accidentally hit his front brake. That will kill a rider every time.

Wulframn
Jul 6, 2012

sexy fast velociraptor

Errant Gin Monks posted:

He probably accidentally hit his front brake. That will kill a rider every time.

God drat that loving death switch! Why won't Harley loving remove that piece of poo poo?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Wulframn posted:

God drat that loving death switch! Why won't Harley loving remove that piece of poo poo?

The commits who make the law say that lever must be there. They want riders to die because the don't believe in freedom. :patriot:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Errant Gin Monks posted:

The commits who make the law say that lever must be there. They want riders to die because the don't believe in freedom. :patriot:

Posting from your phone? Why don't ya get yerself a real computer, son? Post th' way yer daddy did, back in The WELL.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Safety Dance posted:

Posting from your phone? Why don't ya get yerself a real computer, son? Post th' way yer daddy did, back in The WELL.

It's my loving iPad. I hate this things autocorrect.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Safety Dance posted:

If it weren't for that and the fact that I used to wake up with my lungs hurting, though, I'd still do it.

This. I quit because I couldn't run a hundred meters, not because I didn't like cigarettes. Tobacco, I loved you, why did you have to hurt me so? :(

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Wife smoking for 26 years = COPD. I quit alongside her because I'm allegedly a decent person.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

According to my girlfriend who reads reads scientific literature like it's her job (it isn't, but it's close), there's a gene that affects the elasticity of connective tissue in the lungs. If you have it, you can smoke without the emphysema and COPD effects (I think you're still at risk for lung cancer, though). Her dad is a construction worker and he smokes while performing physically intense activity all day long, which indicates he probably has that gene, which means it's likely she has the gene as well.

Of course she'll never smoke though, so she'll never get to take advantage of this wonderful trait.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
There's a pretty good article on Jalopnik right now.

Oh wait, I meant there's an absolute poo poo article on Jalopnik right now: http://m.jalopnik.com/5952473/my-severely-busted-rear end-is-why-you-dont-wear-jeans-on-a-motorcycle

I have no idea how he came to that conclusion. Warning: bloody butt pic inside.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Phone posted:

I have no idea how he came to that conclusion. Warning: bloody butt pic inside.

I think this is the line right here:

"A couple weeks in bed every now and then is better than a a couple hours a day spent sitting in traffic...there's no substitute for turning up at a restaurant or a meeting or whatever in the same clothes I can wear inside. It's about finding the balance between the two. Jacket and jeans when I need to look good immediately"

I mean, you could skip the hours sitting in traffic and also the couple of weeks in bed by wearing more armor, but hey, who wants to look like a NERD, right?

VVVVV or if he wanted to avoid the loving hole in his kneecap while still wearing his precious 511s, a simple pair of $30 knee guards under his jeans.

Not sure there's anything he could have done about the broken arm, though. That's just bad luck.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Oct 17, 2012

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
The conclusion is silly. What about (good) riding jeans or kevlar undies? Either one would have prevented half a butt cheek getting grated off.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

clutchpuck posted:

The conclusion is silly. What about (good) riding jeans or kevlar undies? Either one would have prevented half a butt cheek getting grated off.

Yeah, that's the HellforLeather guy, and I was pretty confused about not having a pair of kevlar jeans either. They're just a little bit heavier than regular and you can get 'em not too baggy nowadays too. Whatever. He has to know they're out there.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
That article is fantastic because Wes Siler is a giant douche.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Maybe needing to look "fresh" means:

1. He's a terrible racist
2. Refers to the changing of gauze
3. Idk... The airflow of his jeans and boxers when rips through them

I read his justification, but it doesn't mean I understand it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

Yeah, that's the HellforLeather guy, and I was pretty confused about not having a pair of kevlar jeans either. They're just a little bit heavier than regular and you can get 'em not too baggy nowadays too. Whatever. He has to know they're out there.

He definitely knows they're out there. One of the other HFL guys crashed a long time ago (and got pretty hosed up, actually) but was wearing Alpinestars Axiom jeans with armor and they helped a lot. And they post about Deth Killers (heavyweight denim with kevlar woven in throughout) and other protective-ish jeans all the time.

e: http://hellforleathermagazine.com/2012/02/this-is-the-city-gear-that-saved-my-life/

• Locked thread