Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
http://consumerist.com/2012/10/16/unc-denies-in-state-tuition-to-veteran-because-her-husband-was-stationed-in-texas/

I'm torn. She obviously claimed residency in Texas to avoid paying NC state income tax (a fact I haven't seen anyone mention, most laughably on Free Republic where they're climbing over themselves to mention that illegals might be able to qualify for in-state tuition), so I can see telling her to gently caress off. On the other hand, she did maintain a house in NC and was in Texas under her husband's orders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

GD_American posted:

http://consumerist.com/2012/10/16/unc-denies-in-state-tuition-to-veteran-because-her-husband-was-stationed-in-texas/

I'm torn. She obviously claimed residency in Texas to avoid paying NC state income tax (a fact I haven't seen anyone mention, most laughably on Free Republic where they're climbing over themselves to mention that illegals might be able to qualify for in-state tuition), so I can see telling her to gently caress off. On the other hand, she did maintain a house in NC and was in Texas under her husband's orders.

It's a loving mess from a university standpoint, but I agree with their denial. Regardless of her maintaining property in NC, if you declare tax residency elsewhere you sign your fate to that state.

I know several dudes that still own property in HI and the only reason they're counted as instate right now is due to the fact that my state/school has a veteran domicile rule. If you move to CT for the sake of going to school here as a veteran, the state will count you as instate if you actually live and pay taxes here. But not many states have this.

camino
Feb 23, 2006
Wow. I got paid a whopping $55 on October 1st, so I called the VA to check up on it. I attend two schools, and only one had certified me (the one I'm only taking a 3 credit hour online class from).

So I called the university to find out what was going on, and they claimed I had dropped all my classes. Turns out there's another nonveteran student who shares my name and dropped his classes. The certifying official promised me he'd fix it and apologized to me.

Today I noticed the VA had still not paid the university, so I called the VA to find out why. They still hadn't received my certification!

Called the certifying official, who confirmed that he hadn't done it yet. I bitched at him and he told me it would get done ASAP. I get off the phone and shortly thereafter receive this email:

quote:

An Enrollment certification for the period beginning on 08/27/2012 and ending on 12/07/2012 for Credit Hours: 12, Distance Hours: 0 has been submitted to the VA. This was submitted by a certifying official from the CHUCKLEFUCK UNIVERSITY on 10/17/2012. Your claim will be processed in the order it was received. Please do not respond to this message.

The question is: any idea how long the certification will take? When will I get paid?

This isn't the first time this certifying official has screwed me. Who should I complain to?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

camino posted:

Wow. I got paid a whopping $55 on October 1st, so I called the VA to check up on it. I attend two schools, and only one had certified me (the one I'm only taking a 3 credit hour online class from).

So I called the university to find out what was going on, and they claimed I had dropped all my classes. Turns out there's another nonveteran student who shares my name and dropped his classes. The certifying official promised me he'd fix it and apologized to me.

Today I noticed the VA had still not paid the university, so I called the VA to find out why. They still hadn't received my certification!

Called the certifying official, who confirmed that he hadn't done it yet. I bitched at him and he told me it would get done ASAP. I get off the phone and shortly thereafter receive this email:

The question is: any idea how long the certification will take? When will I get paid?

This isn't the first time this certifying official has screwed me. Who should I complain to?

You can complain to your school's department of student affairs. An assistant dean is usually a good stop, you could do the dean himself if he's available. Calling anyone outside of his chain isn't going to be productive, unless you wanted to go nuclear and contact a local paper.

Certs are taking a random amount of time - being the 17th of this month, you might not get paid until November. If you have it upgraded to a hardship process, you can get paid at the end of the month. Call them / email them / whatever, and make sure your certification is upgraded to a hardship.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

If I started the VR&E process last week, can I comfortably assume it will be finished by the time I start spring classes at the actual big-boy 4 year school here in town?

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

GD_American posted:

If I started the VR&E process last week, can I comfortably assume it will be finished by the time I start spring classes at the actual big-boy 4 year school here in town?

Mine took like 6 weeks total, from initial application. I think its doable.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

GD_American posted:

They operate on a different system, usually much faster and more efficient. Not always, of course, since it IS the government. But you'll have a better experience than regular GI Bill users.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I'd say you stand a fair chance. The wait for my appointment was a month, then it was just a matter of getting poo poo in order to actually start classes. Since you're already in school, they'll have you fixed up well before spring semester begins.

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

Highly trained by the US military at expedient semen processing.

GD_American posted:

I'm going through this right now. My school had information that stated they wouldn't charge me for anything above the out-of-state tuition so I didn't bother adjusting my residency. But now I have to because I don't want to pay 400 bucks.

They told me that information was wrong and should have been updated.

Same state different school (NCSU).

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Spongebob Tampax posted:

I'd say you stand a fair chance. The wait for my appointment was a month, then it was just a matter of getting poo poo in order to actually start classes. Since you're already in school, they'll have you fixed up well before spring semester begins.

I already turned in all my paperwork and met with the guy. Thanks for the info, all of this is heartening.

DoggesAndCattes
Aug 2, 2007

Maybe I missed it in the first post, but for 9/11 you get up to $17,500 per year for tuition. My school probably charges about 4 grand for 18 credit hours, and to go above that I'd have to file a waiver. Will 9/11 cover that?

Also, I'm taking Algebra and Trigonometry II, and I'm not doing so hot. I'm going to meet my minimum requirement to go to the next math class, but a weak foundation in math doesn't help when going to the next level. I'd like to take that class again, but am I right in thinking 9/11 won't pay for it since I've already taken it? What if I took a combination of Algebra and Trigonometry I and II that is one class instead of two, would they pay for that?

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.
For them to pay, it has to be part of your degree plan. Your school's certifying official will decide if it is part of your plan or not. Some schools don't care and let you take fencing classes or whatever. Some schools go over your plan with a fine-toothed comb and stab you in the back.

Remedial classes and do-overs don't count, to the best of my knowledge.

As far as math: Going to class every day, asking the teacher to work example problems, and doing 100% of the homework is how you succeed.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Mad Pino Rage posted:

Maybe I missed it in the first post, but for 9/11 you get up to $17,500 per year for tuition. My school probably charges about 4 grand for 18 credit hours, and to go above that I'd have to file a waiver. Will 9/11 cover that?

If it's a state school, they cover it. If it's private, that's the 17.5 limit.

Pinuyasha
Jun 16, 2009
I'm attending a service academy right now but I already have the Montgomery GI Bill. School is already paid for now but I'm wondering if I should switch over to the Post 9/11 GI Bill anyway. I don't ever intend to transfer my bill to dependents so my main thing is which one will pay out the best.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

You don't have to do anything to switch over.

DoggesAndCattes
Aug 2, 2007

KetTarma posted:

For them to pay, it has to be part of your degree plan. Your school's certifying official will decide if it is part of your plan or not. Some schools don't care and let you take fencing classes or whatever. Some schools go over your plan with a fine-toothed comb and stab you in the back.

Remedial classes and do-overs don't count, to the best of my knowledge.

As far as math: Going to class every day, asking the teacher to work example problems, and doing 100% of the homework is how you succeed.

So far nobody has said anything about me taking classes not on my degree plan. I think that is a terribly policy. Military veterans should be able to take whatever class they want, but if they don't work on getting a degree then the fault is on them.

Godholio posted:

If it's a state school, they cover it. If it's private, that's the 17.5 limit.

State school. $$$$

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
I've declared a few second majors in different languages so I could take a class to brush up on my proficiency. Different universities might not allow this but you could try it.

Pinuyasha
Jun 16, 2009

Godholio posted:

You don't have to do anything to switch over.

So the switch over is automatic now? Last I checked was 2010 so I'm not familiar with how it works anymore.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
You still have to switch over, it takes ~5 weeks currently. If your school is already paid for, what will happen is the VA will pay them again (probably 9 weeks from now, assuming you apply for Post 9/11) and that balance will be refunded back.

Also good news is that the 17,500 cap is now 18,300.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Vasudus posted:

You still have to switch over, it takes ~5 weeks currently. If your school is already paid for, what will happen is the VA will pay them again (probably 9 weeks from now, assuming you apply for Post 9/11) and that balance will be refunded back.

Also good news is that the 17,500 cap is now 18,300.

What form is it to "switch over?" All you have to do is select the right chapter when you apply for benefits.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Godholio posted:

What form is it to "switch over?" All you have to do is select the right chapter when you apply for benefits.

Pinuyasha posted:

I already have the Montgomery GI Bill

I'm taking that as he already has applied for it, in which case he needs to relinquish his MGIB to get Post 9/11. It's still super easy, but he needs to tick off a few extra boxes.

Pinuyasha
Jun 16, 2009

Vasudus posted:

I'm taking that as he already has applied for it, in which case he needs to relinquish his MGIB to get Post 9/11. It's still super easy, but he needs to tick off a few extra boxes.

I've served 3+ years already as enlisted and I paid the $100 for 12 months part of it. I haven't tapped into it yet. I still haven't given up the MGI Bill since then.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Vasudus posted:

If he's in a service academy, he's not spending GIB money.

JoaoLangston
Jul 24, 2006
Edit: Received guidance, thanks GiP for the help in #militarygoons.

JoaoLangston fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Oct 23, 2012

Beria
Nov 13, 2011
I started my pts this month, my eaos is a year and am considering leaving the navy because gently caress bitches get money. I have a bachelors with a lovely gpa. I understand I may have to be under some kind of academic review if/when I get accepted to a grad school. Will this effect the amount of post 9/11 g.i. Bill money available, or Fafsa grants I am able to receive?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

No Pell grants for grad school. Your undergrad GPA will only hurt you in your applications for schools, not for your benefits. If you get into a program, you have to keep your grades up though.

NAPALM STICKS TO
Jun 22, 2005

I can't find my Certificate of Eligibility, is it a huge pain to get a new one?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Our Gay Apparel posted:

I can't find my Certificate of Eligibility, is it a huge pain to get a new one?

No, it's pretty quick if you just need a new one. Maybe 7-10 business days. Call or use 'Ask a Question' on their website. The VA rep will probably sigh in relief when they find out you just need a new one.

NAPALM STICKS TO
Jun 22, 2005

Vasudus posted:

No, it's pretty quick if you just need a new one. Maybe 7-10 business days. Call or use 'Ask a Question' on their website. The VA rep will probably sigh in relief when they find out you just need a new one.

Awesome. I'm quitting the contracting stuff and going to school full time. I'm so scared :(

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Our Gay Apparel posted:

Awesome. I'm quitting the contracting stuff and going to school full time. I'm so scared :(

You'll be slacking off and skipping classes in no time.

Unless you're in a competitive program, then that's a bad idea.

Make friends with faculty is the best advice I have: having a leg up on internships/networking connections/etc. is so important.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Alright, mapping out my degree plan for big-boy college. I know I'm not doing Econ or Finance or Accounting; they offer a General Business degree with online/night classes but if you want anything else you have to attend in the daytime. I'm looking at Management concentration, either in HR (higher employability but oh god no) or general management.

My question is about minors; I'm looking through South Alabama's compsci department and they offer 3 different minors; Computer Sciences, Information Systems, or Information Technology. Would having an additional minor help my employability at all, and if so which of the three would be more likely to help?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

GD_American posted:

Alright, mapping out my degree plan for big-boy college. I know I'm not doing Econ or Finance or Accounting; they offer a General Business degree with online/night classes but if you want anything else you have to attend in the daytime. I'm looking at Management concentration, either in HR (higher employability but oh god no) or general management.

My question is about minors; I'm looking through South Alabama's compsci department and they offer 3 different minors; Computer Sciences, Information Systems, or Information Technology. Would having an additional minor help my employability at all, and if so which of the three would be more likely to help?

Whichever offers you certifications is probably a good bet.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Vasudus posted:

Whichever offers you certifications is probably a good bet.

I haven't even sniffed IT work since I got out in '07, so I wouldn't know the first thing about which certs are worth going after. I worked on MSE in the Army (last-gen stuff before VOIP) so most of my knowledge there is useless. The only cert I ever bothered getting was an A+, which is like kindergarten level. I gave up going after a CCNA.

Really I just want to either go back into process stuff like I used to work (chemical plant, etc.) only in management this time instead of as a wrench, or just give up on life and get a job with the Corps of Engineers.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]
That would mean one of the latter two. Looking at their website (if this is the right one) - both of those areas have numerous certifications. I think the IT area would probably mesh better with your business major focus.

edit: Reading your above post, if you want to do process stuff, I suppose you'd want to get a PMP and focus on managing IT projects. You don't necessarily have to have the more applied certs (CCNA etc) to do that job and would be more worried about budget/schedule/resources than actual implementation of technical details.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

hannibal posted:

edit: Reading your above post, if you want to do process stuff, I suppose you'd want to get a PMP and focus on managing IT projects. You don't necessarily have to have the more applied certs (CCNA etc) to do that job and would be more worried about budget/schedule/resources than actual implementation of technical details.

Yeah most plants have very specific lines between IT and management. Most managers are just operators who worked their way up the chain; I'd probably really be better off with a minor or double major in chemistry or something in the area of petrochem, but it took ten seconds of brutal self-honesty to realize that's never gonna happen.

My wife used to work in the safety office over at the CoE (she moved to the contracting office) and she kept trying to get me to apply for an industrial hygienist job; I've worked shipyards and chemical plants, plus my vet points means I'd have a good chance of getting in. I don't really want to be a safety guy though (besides the ridiculous travel requirements these guys have just on account of being a regional oversight office, I just don't want to be a safety guy). My experience with them on the private side is "fall guy/fired and replaced when due for raise".

e- lol that must be the old website, figures the Computer department wouldn't update their links :rolleyes:

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.
I've already been certified for next semester. The classes haven't been paid for yet. Is it a big deal to decide to change out one class for another if the hours will be the same? Do I have to do anything?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

KetTarma posted:

I've already been certified for next semester. The classes haven't been paid for yet. Is it a big deal to decide to change out one class for another if the hours will be the same? Do I have to do anything?

So long as you're keeping the same payment amount it should be fine.

DoggesAndCattes
Aug 2, 2007

I don't spend enough time studying for trigonometry. I need to drop the class. I'm at 17 credit hours, and full time here is 12 credit hours. Will I have to repay anything for a Withdrawal? What if the professor is a dick about it(he is) and gives me a failing grade upon me dropping the class? How will this affect my Pell Grant from this semester and the next?

I've had a few bad weeks these last three or four weeks. I purposely bombed a chem test because I decided not to study. If I don't miss any points after this I'll get an A in chemistry. All my other classes I'm doing great in because the course work is easier to understand therefore do.

Jesus H Nyce
Nov 27, 2007

fakejesus143@gmail.com
I recently withdrew from all my classes for a job opportunity that I previously mentioned in the thread. It was my first time dropping classes using GI bill benefits and had a question regarding payment.

I officially withdrew on Oct 19th, yet I still got a payment this morning for the entire month of October to include my Army College Fund kicker. My question is, will I have to return this payment or do I get to keep it since I technically still used those benefits even though I withdrew?

I'm going to assume they will want it all back, but I figured I would ask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RichieHimself
May 27, 2004

No way dude, she looks like Gargamel.
You automatically get a free one time drop of up to 6 credits without any penalties. I withdrew from a spanish class a few weeks into last semester and then got a letter in the mail about not having to pay anything back due to the free drop. I think that still applies even if it's an F and I don't believe it will mess up your pell grant but don't quote me on that.

• Locked thread