Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

The Slippery Nipple posted:

We have Belvedere as our well vodka. This talk of upgrading to Smirnoff has me realising that this must not be very common. Although I work in a cocktail bar, seeing as the bar is 'sponsored' by Belvedere its more for show than any actual taste improvement.
Beefeater, Calle 23 and Havana Club are our other whites in the well.
It's interesting how brand perception can be different in diffferent places. In the UK, Belvedere would be thought of as a more up-market alternative to Smirnoff (I'm assuming Smirnoff Red here). Smirnoff isn't thought of as being "budget" in any way (although I don't like it), but it's very much the standard vodka most places will have. It's as ubiquitous as Jack Daniels.

Some places will have a cheaper vodka (Russian Standard is getting a bigger market share, I prefer it to Smirnoff) and Bombay Sapphire or Beefeater are totally common, but the very, very standard house spirits you'll see in basically every licensed premises in this country are Smirnoff, Gordon's, Famous Grouse, Bacardi, Havana Especial, Jack Daniels. None of them are considered as being either "premium" or "cheap", just "normal". All of them produce 1.5 litre bottles with the label printed upside down so it's readable when you put them up on optics on the back bar, which I guess you generally don't so in the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Smirnoff is our standard vodka, at 1.95£ a nip. Our cheap vodka is a monstrosity called Glens, which tastes like it's made by letting onions ferment in a cesspit full of bleach. It's 1.10£ a nip, and you can always tell who's going to be trouble later on because they invariably order a double glens soda water and lime. We don't charge anything for soda or cordial.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Our well vodka is Taaka and I can guarantee you that you will never want to drink it

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot
Bellows everything. The "blended whiskey" is colored and flavored, and I always feel awful pouring a shot of it for someone.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
Because they have terrible taste?

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

Daric posted:

Our well vodka is Taaka and I can guarantee you that you will never want to drink it

Ours is crystal palace. Our well tequila is even worse, Zarco. It tastes like the way you imagine tequila did before you had ever tried it.

Snappy Zings
Feb 19, 2003
I'M TOO FUCKING STUPID TO DO A SIMPLE SEARCH OF THE FORUMS.
Lucky bastards. Our well vodka is Aristocrat, as well as our gin. Our rum is Ron Llave, and our tequila is Juarez, which apparently isn't completely 100%, because the label says "tequila and liqueur with natural flavor".

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER
Well:

Smirnoff
Jose Cuervo
Gordons
Seagrams
Captain Morgan's

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Walk in today:

The air conditioner is broken and doesn't work. Not for the whole restaurant, just over the bar.
The service bar printer doesn't work so tickets have to print up at the other end of the bar and we had to run them over to our service bartender every time someone rang something in.
We ran out of:
tartar sauce
lemonade
margarita mix
hurricane mix
watermelon monin
and oranges

Thank god I have tomorrow off because I was ready to kill someone

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

gently caress that wheres my tartar mojito

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

nrr posted:

gently caress that wheres my tartar mojito

Erm, it's for Jagerfishbombs...

You stir a teaspoon of tartar in tot he redbull before bombing the jager in. Delicious!

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

I threw picklejacks on special tonight mostly as a joke at my Jameson loving manager's expense and it sold like mad :psyduck:

Getting used to the night game again, along with being jacked up long after a shift.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Rename the bar Picklejack's. Introduce your manager as Stan Picklejack, Mr. Picklejack's son, but call him PJ all night.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

What the gently caress is a picklejack?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

1oz Jamesons, chase with 1oz pickle juice.

Frozen Horse
Aug 6, 2007
Just a humble wandering street philosopher.
I had been hoping it was a Jamesons manhattan garnished with a cornichon.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

JawKnee posted:

1oz Jamesons, chase with 1oz pickle juice.

More like a picklejames :colbert:

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Pickleback, don't mind me, must have been more tired than I thought last night.

Although picklejames would make more sense, but I didn't make it up.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Picklejack is just a shot a Jack with pickle juice in it, usually not shaken or anything (though it would be better shaken, but that's not the point of a pickledrink), as far as I was aware.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

Daric posted:

The service bar printer doesn't work so tickets have to print up at the other end of the bar and we had to run them over to our service bartender every time someone rang something in.

I love printer/computer malfunctions. One night I had all the kitchen chits redirecting to my printer and mixing with my orders so I'd be fighting a sense of mounting horror all night as the thing kept spitting out paper, collecting in rolls on the floor and tripping people.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Der Luftwaffle posted:

I love printer/computer malfunctions. One night I had all the kitchen chits redirecting to my printer and mixing with my orders so I'd be fighting a sense of mounting horror all night as the thing kept spitting out paper, collecting in rolls on the floor and tripping people.

I once worked at a place that used an older POS system whose software hadn't been updated in years. It was full of really weird errors, but my favorite was one time when one of the bar printers ran out of paper (the printer we used the least, in fact), which somehow managed to shut down the print server - kitchen wasn't getting tickets, servers couldn't print receipts. Took us a little while to figure out what happened.

Edit: The only time I ever really had an issue with the kitchen was when they'd just come behind the bar and start pouring poo poo for some special of the day or whatever. I don't mind ordering booze for the kitchen to cook with, but don't gently caress with my inventory!

Shooting Blanks fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Oct 15, 2012

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I never went out of my way to distress the kitchen staff but I always did enjoy their hysterical dismay when there was more than a passing burp in the functionality of the ticket printing system.

rikatix
Aug 24, 2010
Wells:
Country club brand vodka, gin and rum
Juarez tequila
Ezra Brooks bourbon

And I've never heard of someone drinking pickle juice with bourbon but in about to try it right now.

What a shame, the only bourbon I have at home right now is an unopened bottle of Angels Envy. It's very nice stuff. Bottoms up!

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003
I have one for you guys. So Halloween week we have a bunch of shows at my bar I'll be working and all the staff will be getting dressed up. I have to figure out a good costume that has the following criteria; 1. It has to be something I can wear and still bartend while in the weeds 2. It has to incorporate facial hair (beard, goatee, goofy mustache, whatever. I just prefer not to go clean shaven). The one idea I had was to go to Radio Shack and grab a bunch of LEDs to put in an enclosure and wear something like this under a normal outfit.

It would be subtle but I think most people would get it and best of all it would be easy to work in. Anyone else have any suggestions or dressing for work?

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

James Woods posted:

I have one for you guys. So Halloween week we have a bunch of shows at my bar I'll be working and all the staff will be getting dressed up. I have to figure out a good costume that has the following criteria; 1. It has to be something I can wear and still bartend while in the weeds 2. It has to incorporate facial hair (beard, goatee, goofy mustache, whatever. I just prefer not to go clean shaven). The one idea I had was to go to Radio Shack and grab a bunch of LEDs to put in an enclosure and wear something like this under a normal outfit.

It would be subtle but I think most people would get it and best of all it would be easy to work in. Anyone else have any suggestions or dressing for work?

Thinkgeek sells a tony stark shirt that light up just like that. Save yourself the time.

Edit http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/e60f/

Old Man Pants fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Oct 16, 2012

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003

Old Man Pants posted:

Thinkgeek sells a tony stark shirt that light up just like that. Save yourself the time.

Edit http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/e60f/

Hmm... I love to solder but I'm also incredibly lazy. I'm torn.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER
Star Trek (Evil Spock? You're basically just wearing a t-shirt. If you have a BA you could make him a red shirt :v:)

Mustard / Relish / Ketchup (Just yellow/green/red t-shirts and pants, with the word 'Ketchup' or whatever across the chest. Need partners, though.)

Star Wars (We're doing Luke/Leia/Han this year)

Clockwork Orange (You'd probably be a mess at the end of the night in an all white getup, but I barbacked in a droog costume and wasn't too too bad)

EDIT: I could use costume suggestions for myself. Was thinking of doing the Joker or Jughead. I'm by myself for Halloween proper, am expecting to get my poo poo pushed in, but still wanna dress up and have fun.

Perdido fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Oct 16, 2012

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
I'm going to dress as my manager by throwing on a blazer and glasses, and complete the outfit by hitting on girls half my age and comping them complicated drinks all night.

Happy Happyist
Jul 23, 2007

I need your assistance to make the world blue and change it into a happy and peaceful society.
Macho Man Randy Savage.

Cheap Macho Man shirt off of eBay, sunglasses, bandana, make up a cocktail and call it a Slim Jim. OH YEAHHHH

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I just used to buy a decent Mardi Gras / Carnival mask and wear it cocked up on my forehead for most of the night but I'm a terminally lazy non-participator.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
I worked an event for Fernet last night, and got one of the first 15 fernet challenge coins in New York. Our general response to the whole challenge concept was "it's not like we pay for our fernet rounds anyway". Yes, I swagged a bunch of bottles.

Choom Gangster
Oct 29, 2006

Do you have a picture of the New York ones? I got my Arizona one a few months ago, with basically the same reaction. My Chartreuse coin on the other hand...

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
So, is Halloween weekend Oct 26-28 or Nov 2-4?

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

FISHMANPET posted:

So, is Halloween weekend Oct 26-28 or Nov 2-4?
Got to be before, right? No-one is going to want to put on a costume and go out after the actual Halloween night. It would be like having a Christmas party on the 29th December or something.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I celebrated my family Christmas in March tyvm :colbert:

My wedding is on Nov 3, and my fiancee and I want to go out and party with some friends the weekend before, but if it's going to be all Haloweened up, then, gently caress, I don't know.

I hate Haloween.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Choom Gangster posted:

Do you have a picture of the New York ones? I got my Arizona one a few months ago, with basically the same reaction. My Chartreuse coin on the other hand...

It has the Manhattan skyline on the back, black enamel on bronze. Now, what is this Chartreuse nonsense?

Oh, and I verbally agreed to be the head bartender of a new project opening in a few weeks in Alphabet City, as part of a restaurant group by a very successful restaurant a street away. Time to start building my brand.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

FISHMANPET posted:

I celebrated my family Christmas in March tyvm :colbert:

My wedding is on Nov 3, and my fiancee and I want to go out and party with some friends the weekend before, but if it's going to be all Haloweened up, then, gently caress, I don't know.

I hate Haloween.

I'm guessing before, as after people will have paid rent.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
We're not allowed to wear costumes anymore after one of our large male bartenders showed up in a Hooters girl outfit.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

If you don't take advantage to dress up as someone who you can stay in character and legit be a complete rear end in a top hat all night, then I don't know what to tell you guys.

Soup Nazi and NO SOUP FOR YOU the second anybody fucks up and firing anyone and everyone in the same manner, in costume as Donald Trump woul be the first two that pop into my head

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003

Der Luftwaffle posted:

I'm going to dress as my manager by throwing on a blazer and glasses, and complete the outfit by hitting on girls half my age and comping them complicated drinks all night.

This could be very fun. I may order the shirt and do both on different days.

• Locked thread