Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
miss sagoon, you have a lot of good ones on your list. It's easier to recommend when you put a reason why you haven't seen it, or why you want to see it though (HINT HINT). I'll give you The Apartment, just because it's been a while since that's popped up here.

The Departed is the only film Scorsese won best picture for. I don't consider it Scorcese's best work though. Goodfellas and Taxi Driver are both better movies. It is on par with Raging Bull though, and that is a sign of excellent quality in my opinion. Good characters throughout the show, and everyone seemed to have a hidden identity/agenda. It was nice to see a movie with undercover cops and criminals. Nicholson was in fine form here as well, and did a good job as a father figure to Damon and Dicaprio.

The List of Shame

1. A Bridge too Far: I hear it's really good. I might be thinking of The Bridge on the River Kwai though

2. The Town: I've heard it's a good crime movie.

3. The Towering Inferno: No reason for not watching it yet. I guess I just haven't been in the mood. I haven't actually seen any 70s disaster movie, so this may be a good place to start.

4. True Grit (1969): I have seen the re-make, but I haven't watched the original yet. I received this as a christmas gift last year in my work's secret santa.

5. The Godfather part 3: I've heard mixed reviews of this one, with some people hating it, and others saying that it's good, but the bar was set too high with it's predecessors. I'd like to make my own judgement.

6. Leon: The Professional:I don't know much about this one, aside from it having tons of acclaim.

7. Wall-E: I skipped a lot of animated films during the 2000s, and i'm slowly catching up.

8. Rashomon: This has been sitting on my DVR for a while.

9. The Third Man: More noir

10. The Sting: This sounds like a pretty good heist movie, and has great acclaim.

ON HOLD: Citizen Kane

De-shamed: A Clockwork Orange, Munich, The Godfather part 2, 12 Angry Men, Pirates of the Caribbean 2, Pulp Fiction, Schindler's List, Casablanca, Seven Samurai, Rear Window, 3:10 to Yuma, City of God, Sunset Boulevard, It's a Wonderful Life, LOTR: Return of the King, Saving Private Ryan, Memento, For a Few Dollars More, North by Northwest, Double Indemnity, M, Paths of Glory, To Kill a Mockingbird, Blade Runner, The Departed
[/quote]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

CopywrightMMXI posted:

The Departed is the only film Scorsese won best picture for. I don't consider it Scorcese's best work though. Goodfellas and Taxi Driver are both better movies. It is on par with Raging Bull though, and that is a sign of excellent quality in my opinion. Good characters throughout the show, and everyone seemed to have a hidden identity/agenda. It was nice to see a movie with undercover cops and criminals. Nicholson was in fine form here as well, and did a good job as a father figure to Damon and Dicaprio.

Oftentimes a movie wins best picture not so much based on the movie itself but because the director has done a lot of quality work and the Academy feels they owe him. The Departed is a case in point (what, Goodfellas lost to Dances with Wolves? are you serious?).

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I really don't like The Departed, despite loving Scorsese. It feels so convoluted and boring, then the ending is almost like a parody.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

escape artist posted:

I really don't like The Departed, despite loving Scorsese. It feels so convoluted and boring, then the ending is almost like a parody.

I liked the idea that even minor characters had their own secret lives. It didn't really feel like a twist to me, but more of a natural extension of the universe in which the characters live.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Jurgan posted:

The Sixth Sense...the "aliens" are actually demons, but then again the movie doesn't explain itself very well.

I'd never heard of that so I read some on it. Can that theory explain the crop circles? I think that's a prime reason people would believe the conventional interpretation.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

My take on The Departed is that it's not that good for a Scorsese film but it's immensely entertaining to watch. Although I will admit that the first time I watched it, I got some characters mixed up and had completely forgotten about Mark Wahlberg's character by the end.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

My take on The Departed is that it's not that good for a Scorsese film but it's immensely entertaining to watch. Although I will admit that the first time I watched it, I got some characters mixed up and had completely forgotten about Mark Wahlberg's character by the end.

I should probably give The Departed a rewatch because I just had to do a double take and say "Wait, Mark Wahlberg was in The Departed?"

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

TrixRabbi posted:

I should probably give The Departed a rewatch because I just had to do a double take and say "Wait, Mark Wahlberg was in The Departed?"

He actually got an Oscar nomination for it.

Imperturbability
Oct 12, 2012

by T. Finninho
CopywrightMMXI, watch Léon: The Professional, it's a great film but one of the few times you'll feel bad about lusting after Natalie Portman.

My List of Shame:

1. Casablanca, I don't know why but this movie just seems boring... I can never get into it. Have tried watching it a couple of times and just end up turning it off.

2. Pi, this seems like one of those movies you have to be in the right mind-set for (my not-having-ever-seen-it opinion, anyways, is it on target?)

3. The Godfather, I want to see this one mainly so I get all the jokes that are made about it

4. 2001: A Space Odyssey, I know people say it's boring, but the cinematography looks too good to miss

5. 2000 Year Old Man, just a skit, I believe, but I love, love, love Mel Brooks, and this is one of those hard-to-find classics I keep hearing is essential

6. Schindler's List, I'm fascinated by WWII, so I'm not sure why I haven't seen this one yet, except that it's not really a "let's watch this one" kind of flick

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Casablanca is boring like licking a cheese grater is painless. Watch that. And then lick a cheese grater for having had the temerity to call it boring.

Last Year at Marienbad was remarkable. It's really not a movie to talk about with words: between the beautiful and surreal imagery, the spellbinding performances, and the music, the sensation the movie inspires while watching it is by far the most interesting thing about it, and I'm not sure how one would go about describing it or why one would bother. Which makes it doubly perplexing that Wikipedia says that the script was ultra detailed and had much of the movie in it, down to camera movements. Whatever. This goes down as one of my favorites of all time.

1) The Lady Vanishes (1938) - But where does she vanish to? Of Hitchcock I think I've only seen Rear Window!

2) Out of the Past (1947) - For reasons that are unfathomably impenetrable to me, the title of this movie always makes me think of that classic Brendan Fraser vehicle Encino Man. So despite the fact that this movie is apparently amazing, I'm going to need a little push from this thread to get around to watching it.

3) Union Station (1950) - It has William Holden, right? So I should probably also check it out.

4) The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956) - How can anyone know too much?! That's ridiculous.

5) Das Boot (1981) - Better watch this before I die of old age, and judging by its length, this means I have to watch it before I turn 35.

6) Nostalghia (1983) - Let's get some Tarkovsky up in this list.

7) Hard Eight (1996) - This thread gave me There Will Be Blood, which I enjoyed, so I think I'll be going through Paul Thomas Anderson chronologically, because I haven't see any of his other movies.

8) 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days (2007) - I've seen... two? Romanian films and enjoyed them both, so based on statistic extrapolation, I will enjoy every Romanian film.

9) The Brothers Bloom (2008) - Brick is one of my favorite movies of all time, and Rian Johnson's next, Looper, is coming soon, so I really have no excuse for not having seen this already.

10) Waltz with Bashir (2008) - I've heard good stuff.

Deshamed: In a Lonely Place (98), The Seventh Seal (97), Full Metal Jacket (96), Last Year at Marienbad (95), Seven Samurai (95), Heathers (94), Lawrence of Arabia (93), There Will Be Blood (93), Aguirre: The Wrath of God (92), Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (92), Schindler's List (91), The Long Goodbye (91), Blue Velvet (90), Once Upon a Time in the West (90), 8 1/2 (89), City of God (89), Badlands (89), Videodrome (88), The Exterminating Angel (87), 99 River Street (87), Goodfellas (87), M (86), High Fidelity (86), A History of Violence (86), Rififi (84), Midnight Cowboy (84), Crimes and Misdemeanors (84), The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (84), Touch of Evil (83), The Social Network (83), The Last King of Scotland (82), City Lights (82), Slacker (82), Vertigo (81), Breakfast at Tiffany's (81), Unforgiven (81), The Man Who Fell to Earth (79), Raising Arizona (77), Boyz n the Hood (76)

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012

TychoCelchuuu posted:

5) Das Boot (1981) - Better watch this before I die of old age, and judging by its length, this means I have to watch it before I turn 35.

I'm going to make you watch a movie I'm avoiding myself, Das Boot.

12 Angry Men - Was ok.

List:

Network - That one famous scene.

The Graduate - I think I saw bits of this on tv.

The Deer Hunter - Lengthy old war movie. Eh.

Das Boot - Lengthy old german war movie. Eh.

2001: A Space Odyssey - I haven't seen a Kubrick movie I've hated yet. Time to end that streak!

Once Upon a Time in America - So many gangster movies.

Gone With The Wind - 4 hours? Fuuuuuuuuuck youuuu.

Airplane! - Wonder how the humour holds up.

Highlander - Thought this was considered a classic, but the imdb score seems pretty low. Still interested though.

Magnolia - Keep mixing this and Melancholia up.

Not Al-Qaeda fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Oct 17, 2012

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

Why do you add old movies if you clearly don't like them or want to watch them? Also, you've replaced my review of 12 Angry Men as from a few months ago as the worst review of the film, so congrats, I guess.

Edit: That came across a little mean, and that's not what I intend. It's always good to have people participate in this thread, but you might want to provide a bit of insight into your viewing experience.

CopywrightMMXI fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Oct 17, 2012

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

Highlander - Thought this was considered a classic, but the imdb score seems pretty low. Still interested though.

Try this one.

Tom Jones -

"An Absolute Triumph! The best comedy every made." -Newsweek
"Thrilling, Bawdy, Lusty...a masterpiece." -New York Post

With reviews like that I was curious about the film since I'd never heard much about it.

It's a somewhat interesting artifact from a half-century ago. It's structured and narrated like a Looney Tunes cartoon set in the world of Barry Lyndon. Lots of film gimmicks (might've been completely fresh at the time) and tongue-in-cheek humor. There are a few :lol: and :waycool: moments.

For 1963 it feels way ahead of its time and on the cutting edge of humor. The amount of irreverential jokes and boobs popping out of corsets in this film may well have astounded the typical viewer of the time. I can see why it won the academy best picture because it feels like a trailblazer. With all that said, in 2012 most of it feels dated and superficial.

also watched:

Goodbye, Dragon Inn - One of the slowest films I've seen in a while. Even the characters move slowly. I'm not 100% sure but I don't believe the camera moves or changes focus once throughout the eighty minute running time.

The film makes you feel like an invisible person watching and stalking others in a theater. I read a few reviews and one of them likened it to Playtime and I had the same thought when I was watching it. The premise was atypical enough to keep my interest but if I saw a few more of this style the novelty would probably wear off fast. The film is also very dark (it's in a theater after all).

Kind of reminded me about theater statistics and how attendance numbers have been dwindling the last few years (even moreso if going by per capita). Theaters in my area have been shutting down. The theater in this film looked like it was ready for a wrecking crew to come through the next morning.

IMDb list:

Thor - I'm supposed to watch this before The Avengers. 10/11/12

#226 In the Name of the Father - Something about a trial gone awry? Has a film poster that looks similar to "The Doors" film poster. I'm getting close to finishing the IMDb top 250. Seems like I'll never do it. 9/14/12

#238 Castle in the Sky - This will be my sixth Miyazaki film. He is one of the most popular directors on IMDb. 10/3/12

#246 Elite Squad: The Enemy Within - The first one was very violent and aimless. Almost nihilistic but still with a veneer of perverted justice that may appeal to an authoritarian. I just hope this one doesn't have more broom rapings. 6/16/12

Academy Award for Best Picture:

1956 Around the World in 80 Days - Always got this confused with "It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World" in my head. 8/31/12

1952 The Greatest Show on Earth - Seems to have star power. 9/27/12

Procrastination list:

#17 Barren Lives AKA Vidas Secas - I recommended this for someone at some point. 7/17/12

#21 Fish Tank - Never heard of it but it is on Netflix instant. 9/19/12

new #23 Godzilla - I keep putting off watching the original. I saw the US dubbed/edited version many years ago, the version with Raymond Burr nonchalantly narrating (like he's at a golf tournament) as Godzilla destroys Tokyo. 10/16/12

new #24 Any Elvis Presley film - Multiple people from the baby boom generation have told me that these were all stupid (and that Elvis became depressed after being in 30+ of them) but I feel like I should see at least one. 10/16/12

Zogo fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Oct 17, 2012

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Zogo, I really enjoyed Fish Tank, so I say that's next.

Jurgan posted:

Friendo, I think I'll give you Bridge on the River Kwai.

*whistling Colonel Bogey's March*
I've popped my 'Lean' cherry with this film on bluray - can it get any better? Absolutely outstanding.
I don't know when I'll want to go back and rewatch this again in its entirety, but there's so many classic moments! The acting here is fantastic, the movie looks beautiful, the progression of the film is logical and all characters are completely believable. 5/5

LIST

Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore - need to add a Scorsese film to get myself back on track in the "Pick a Director. Watch Every Movie." thread.

Blue Velvet - I've seen bits and pieces over the years (having no idea how it ends) but have never sat and watched it from start to finish. This needs to change.

Close Encounters of the Third Kind - I have no idea why I haven't watched this yet. Listening to Michael Phillips on Filmspotting has had me re-invigorated in getting around to it.

Close-Up - Certified Copy was one of my favourites of the last couple years, and I'd like more Kiarostami.

Hiroshima, Mon Amour - I loved Last Year at Marienbad, and got through the devastating Night and Fog - this should be my next Resnais film.

The Hustler - It seems like a movie I'd love, just haven't got around to watching it.

La Dolce Vita - I loved 8 1/2, and I need more Fellini in my life.

The Lady Vanishes **new** - this list needs Hitchcock.

The Leopard - blind bought this during a criterion B&N sale and just have yet to watch it - and I haven't really had any strong desire to bump it up to the top of my 'need to see' list. Adding it here for someone to change my mind.

Le Samourai - have always heard very good things and that Criterion cover keeps staring at me on the shelf.

De-shamed: Aliens (4.5/5), The Bridge on the River Kwai (5/5),

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
L'Avventura

Ok. I dunno. Not for me? I fell asleep. There's just...I just...I don't know. I feel so bewildered right now because I can't think of a single thing to say in support or against this film because it's so alien and distant from me. There are some very pretty images and I really enjoyed the opening credits but it felt like an arid slog through the glittering, damned waters of the bored upper class. Which is exactly what it is. Is my reaction the one desired? Is that what it's like to be rich? Because that's what the film made it seem like, and pardon my plebian desire for easy living. I prepped myself for this film by reading the Criterion Contraption blogpost on it, and the Contraption is usually pretty helpful but this film was Greek to me.

2/10

this list is as shameful as michael fassbender's penis

1) 2 Or 3 Things I Know About Her - The perpetual joys of Godard.

2) To Be Or Not To Be - Let's get some Lubitsch up in here.

3) Greed - Silent film about big knobbly hands? I actually read a bit about this film a while ago that made it sound really appealing but I still have no concept of the film in my head at all. I'm also really wary of silent films for probably no good reason.

4) I Know Where I'm Going! - gently caress me, I've rented this like four times and for some reason I never watch it, which is retarded because I love Powell and Pressburger.

5) The Bride Wore Black - Truffaut and I have a shaky track record.

6) Atlantic City - this is the worst song in Ragtime

7) The Phantom Carriage - Apparently a huge influence on Bergman.

8) Any Jim Jarmusch Film - I've never seen any, where should I start?

9) La Jetée - I actually made a short film emulating the style of this film without ever having seen it.

10) The Magic Flute - This has been in my Netflix since I was like 13. I love this opera and I love Ingmar Bergman.

Jules et Jim 6/10, Saving Private Ryan 9.5/10, Fitzcarraldo 9/10, The 39 Steps 7/10, Notorious 7/10, Run Lola Run 8/10, Downfall 7.5/10, The Searchers 7.5/10, Tokyo Story 7/10, Gone With The Wind 10/10, Touch Of Evil 9.5/10, Ikiru 7.5/10, The Apartment 7/10, Bicycle Thieves 7/10, Moon 7/10, The Color Purple 7.5/10. The French Connection 9.5/10, The Leopard 8/10, Yojimbo 8.5/10, Sanjuro 8/10, Das Boot 8.5/10, The Conformist 8/10, Breathless 9/10, Where The Wild Things Are 7.5/10, Vertigo 9/10, Raging Bull 10/10, Ordet 7/10, City Of God 9/10, The Wages Of Fear 9/10, Aguirre, The Wrath Of God 9/10, The Mirror 9.5/10, Through A Glass Darkly 10/10, On The Waterfront 6/10, The Straight Story 9/10, Lawrence Of Arabia 8.5/10, Dial M For Murder, 8/10 Winter Light 10/10, The Silence 9/10, Badlands 8/10, The Wrong Man 7/10, In The Mood For Love 9.5/10, Secret Honor 10/10, Gosford Park 10/10, Viridiana 7.5/10, The Exterminating Angel 9/10, Seven Samurai 10/10, Rashomon 9/10, The Godfather: Part II 10/10, La Dolce Vita 10/10, The Princess Bride 9/10, Bringing Up Baby 7/10, City Lights 9/10, Baraka 7/10, Au revior les enfants 8/10, Bonnie And Clyde 6.5, Hiroshima mon amour 8/10, Lost In Translation 10/10, The Piano 8/10, La Strada 7/10, Safety Last! 10/10 Vivre sa vie 9/10, Band Of Outsiders 8/10, Diary Of A Country Priest 7/10, Mommie Dearest 8/10, Once Upon A Time In The West 10/10, L'Atalante 7/10, All About My Mother 7/10, Shoot The Piano Player 8/10, Faces 10/10, The Passion Of Joan Of Arc 10/10, The Wild Bunch 6/10, Harold And Maude see my review, Pink Flamingos 8/10, Heat 10/10, Raising Arizona 7/10, L'Avventura 2/10 (total: 76)

friendo, you're right, you do need more Fellini in your life, and I hope you enjoy La Dolce Vita as much as I did. If that's not enough I also give my wholehearted support for Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore.

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

12 Angry Men - Was ok.

Why the gently caress are you even in this thread?

Magic Hate Ball fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Oct 17, 2012

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Why do you add old movies if you clearly don't like them or want to watch them? Also, you've replaced my review of 12 Angry Men as from a few months ago as the worst review of the film, so congrats, I guess.

Edit: That came across a little mean, and that's not what I intend. It's always good to have people participate in this thread, but you might want to provide a bit of insight into your viewing experience.

No, you're right, I mean, why participate in this thread if you're not even going to write a full sentence about the movie you watched? I feel like I'm doing the bare minimum when I write two paragraphs about the movie.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

CopywrightMMXI posted:

This is kind of the pot calling the kettle black (your verdict on Pulp Fiction was that it "turned out to be a lot of fun! I knew quite a bit about the movie, but it was nice to figure out how it all tied together" and the most you could muster about For a Few Dollars More was "I've seen most of Leonne's other westerns, and this one did not disappoint. His movies really are beautiful, and not just in the visual sense") but I can understand the sentiment. The OP of the thread asks for "a short review" and part of the fun of this thread is seeing what people make of the movies you suggest for them. Another huge part of what makes this thread great is seeing what people make of some of the best films ever made. When you watch 12 Angry Men or Citizen kane and apparently can't even get a coherent thought out of it, let alone four paragraphs of appreciation for clear movie mastery, then maybe this isn't a great thread to hang out in.

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
:monocle: I didn't know reviews were that important.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

12 Angry Men - Was ok.

You don't really like films, do you?

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

TychoCelchuuu posted:

This is kind of the pot calling the kettle black (your verdict on Pulp Fiction was that it "turned out to be a lot of fun! I knew quite a bit about the movie, but it was nice to figure out how it all tied together" and the most you could muster about For a Few Dollars More was "I've seen most of Leonne's other westerns, and this one did not disappoint. His movies really are beautiful, and not just in the visual sense") but I can understand the sentiment.

I absolutely do admit that some of my earlier reviews are absolute poo poo, and even referenced the pathetic one sentence review I had for 12 Angry Men above. But I am trying to improve on this, and that's without anyone calling me out for it.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

To be fair, I don't think it was just the lackluster review that got people riled up. 12 Angry Men is fantastic and for people who enjoy movies and who feel like they get something out of seeing great films, and who are in this thread precisely to ensure that they watch as many great films as they can, seeing someone sit through 12 Angry Men and come out with basically nothing is frustrating. If you can't really appreciate what is good in movies, it makes us feel like you're missing out. Imagine joining a book club focused on reading the greatest novels of all time, and every time to you came to the discussion you were like "Anna Karenina was ok" and then you had nothing else to say. I think your reception would be similarly chilly.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

To echo TychoCelchuuu a bit, it's both interesting for the other posters here to see a viewer's first impressions of a movie and it also helps you to gain a further appreciation of film. It's not like you need to write an essay. What about 12 Angry Men did you like? What didn't you like? Which characters stood out?

fake edit: I realize my own reviews are not very good.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

To echo TychoCelchuuu a bit, it's both interesting for the other posters here to see a viewer's first impressions of a movie and it also helps you to gain a further appreciation of film. It's not like you need to write an essay. What about 12 Angry Men did you like? What didn't you like? Which characters stood out?

fake edit: I realize my own reviews are not very good.

While we're on the subject of criticizing you, Alfie, you haven't watched a movie in a while! :colbert:

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

escape artist posted:

While we're on the subject of criticizing you, Alfie, you haven't watched a movie in a while! :colbert:

Grad school is killing my movie time. I should be able to watch The Deer Hunter by the weekend though!

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

I'd say the issue is that you don't seem to be that engaged in the movies you're watching, and it leaves me wondering why you're bothering. It doesn't seem like any of them have really had much of an impact, and your complaints about length makes me think you don't really want to watch most of the movies on your list. If you're taking the time to watch classic movies, it seems like you should engage with them as much as possible and try to understand what makes them tick, and what impact they have on you. Otherwise, what's the point? As far as I know no one's making you participate in this thread, but you talk like it's a homework assignment. If you don't want to participate, you don't have to, but if you do, you might as well put your heart into it. If you're not interested, you're just wasting your own time.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Magic Hate Ball, I unfortunately haven't seen anything on your list, so via a random number generator, you get Atlantic City.

So, The Deer Hunter. :stare:
Holy poo poo, this movie was intense. I would consider it a war movie more than a Vietnam movie. De Niro was fantastic as always and Walken definitely deserved his Oscar. I was also a bit surprised to see a young Meryl Streep in this. One moment that stands out to me is at the bar at the wedding reception early on, when the three friends ask the green beret about Vietnam and he simply raises his glass and says, "gently caress it." We see this attitude adopted by Nick after the ordeal in the NVA prison camp, although he, Mike, and Steve were offended when the green beret said it. The ending, where Nick and Mike play the game one last time in Saigon was as intense and heartbreaking as anything I've ever seen. Although the movie dragged at times (the wedding scene), it was overall pretty amazing.

The List:

1. Oklahoma!: I am not big on musicals at all but I live in Oklahoma and have been told that it is some kind of crime against humanity that I haven't seen this.

2. Rain Man: I've caught bits and pieces of this on TV but I've never actually seen the whole thing.

3. Double Indemnity: I guess I should see a proper noir at some point.

4. Superman: Superman was never really an interesting character to me, but this is culturally significant enough that I guess I need to see it.

5. Shane: Another essential western.

6. Casino: I've heard this is basically Goodfellas but with a casino.

7. Patton: Been meaning to watch this for a while now.

8. The King's Speech: I borrowed this from the library a few weeks ago but the DVD was scratched and gave out halfway through. I liked what I did see, though.

9. Black Swan: I need more Aronofsky in my life.

10. Spartacus: One of the few Kubrick films I haven't seen.

Watched (18): Goodfellas, Rear Window, Rashomon, The Searchers, Lawrence of Arabia, American Psycho, The Usual Suspects, L.A. Confidential, Unforgiven, Once Upon a Time in America, Blue Velvet, Schindler's List, Vertigo, First Blood, The Sting, Annie Hall, Twelve Monkeys, The Deer Hunter

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

2. Rain Man: I've caught bits and pieces of this on TV but I've never actually seen the whole thing.

Try this one.

Fish Tank - A lot of the character interactions reminded me of my days living in an apartment with a bunch of crazies. Telling all those stories would take up a few threads.

A girl trying to free a chained white horse? I feel like I just saw this movie (Legend). I guess the movie kept my attention but I saw most of the twists and turns coming.

I know millions of kids have been sexually assaulted and molested but it's still odd seeing it portrayed in films/TV series.

I kind of saw where the story was going and suspected that Connor had a family on the side. Mia stealing Keira she was trying to inflict some pain onto Connor.

California Dreamin' (sung by Bobby Womack) was played a lot through the film. Did you know that Barry McGuire was the original singer of California Dreamin'?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yH7szheL6vc

IMDb list:

Thor - I'm supposed to watch this before The Avengers. 10/11/12

#226 In the Name of the Father - Something about a trial gone awry? Has a film poster that looks similar to "The Doors" film poster. I'm getting close to finishing the IMDb top 250. Seems like I'll never do it. 9/14/12

#238 Castle in the Sky - This will be my sixth Miyazaki film. He is one of the most popular directors on IMDb. 10/3/12

#246 Elite Squad: The Enemy Within - The first one was very violent and aimless. Almost nihilistic but still with a veneer of perverted justice that may appeal to an authoritarian. I just hope this one doesn't have more broom rapings. 6/16/12

new #248 Edward Scissorhands - I remember seeing some of this when I was younger but I don't think I saw the whole thing. 10/19/12

Academy Award for Best Picture:

1956 Around the World in 80 Days - Always got this confused with "It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World" in my head. 8/31/12

1952 The Greatest Show on Earth - Seems to have star power. 9/27/12

Procrastination list:

#17 Barren Lives AKA Vidas Secas - I recommended this for someone at some point. 7/17/12

#23 Godzilla - I keep putting off watching the original. I saw the US dubbed/edited version many years ago, the version with Raymond Burr nonchalantly narrating (like he's at a golf tournament) as Godzilla destroys Tokyo. 10/16/12

#24 Any Elvis Presley film - Multiple people from the baby boom generation have told me that these were all stupid (and that Elvis became depressed after being in 30+ of them) but I feel like I should see at least one. 10/16/12

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
What did you think of the cinematography?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Magic Hate Ball posted:

What did you think of the cinematography?

It was shot intimately and candidly, particularly the scenes in the apartment. Most of the shots are viewed from the perspective of Mia (when not focused on her). Plenty of shots of her face looking off into the distance and then switching to a view of what she's looking at somewhere far off. I don't think the camera is ever off her or off what she's looking at.

There's also a lot of chase cam. Those sideways shots of Mia frantically running away from trouble a few times. Reminded me of a small dose of Run Lola Run which has a large amount of that style.

The picture itself looked really good. Of all the ones I've watched through Netflix instant this was one of the most crisp pictures I can recall. And since it's 1.33:1 it fit my 4:3 well. Overall the bleakness and the blight of her situation came across well. I think they were going for a semi-happy ending but my cynicism said that her newfound relationship wasn't going to end well or at least not go anywhere.

One thing I forgot. I don't know how they came up with that title for the film.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I'd love to read an interview with the director/cinematographer/whomever about the colors in the film, the whole movie has this blue-yellow milky overtone that I've never really seen anywhere else. It's incredibly pretty. Also the 1.33:1 ratio is really lovely, I'm raring to see Arnolds's new film, Wuthering Heights, which she also shot in that ratio.

Also I can't tell if you're being facetious about the title but it probably has something to do with the apartment block she lives in (think of the sequence where she dances in front of the window, or how the orange sodium-vapor light comes in when Fassbender seduces her). It also has to do with the nature of her life, I think, kids who live in "fish bowls" in the sense that they're present and visible but not really tended to or allowed to "swim" freely. The one shot in the film that bugs me is the balloon at the end (I was also irked by the horse thing, it just felt too on-the-nose). Also it occurs to me that you could tie in the bit where they go fishing to her status.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I'd love to read an interview with the director/cinematographer/whomever about the colors in the film, the whole movie has this blue-yellow milky overtone that I've never really seen anywhere else. It's incredibly pretty. Also the 1.33:1 ratio is really lovely, I'm raring to see Arnolds's new film, Wuthering Heights, which she also shot in that ratio.

Yea, I do remember the color blue standing out in a few scenes. Once in a while I see films with a lot of pastels.

http://www.listal.com/viewimage/610034
http://www.listal.com/viewimage/1005061
http://www.listal.com/viewimage/1005057
http://www.listal.com/viewimage/839951
http://www.listal.com/viewimage/610036
http://www.listal.com/viewimage/2607604

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Also I can't tell if you're being facetious about the title but it probably has something to do with the apartment block she lives in (think of the sequence where she dances in front of the window, or how the orange sodium-vapor light comes in when Fassbender seduces her). It also has to do with the nature of her life, I think, kids who live in "fish bowls" in the sense that they're present and visible but not really tended to or allowed to "swim" freely. The one shot in the film that bugs me is the balloon at the end (I was also irked by the horse thing, it just felt too on-the-nose). Also it occurs to me that you could tie in the bit where they go fishing to her status.

That makes sense. It's just more of an abstract title than what is typical.

Desiato
Mar 8, 2006

Thy next foe is...

Zogo posted:

My personal favorite of Miyazaki's.

Au Revoir Les Enfants is a film that so closely mirrors reality that I struggle to critique it in any way. Based upon real events in director Louis Malle's life he brings his past to the screen with an honesty so rare in film. Two boys form a friendship at a boarding school during WW2, a coming of age story who's characters lives are sketched in ambiguous details, we're never given full explanations but that adds to it's sense of reality. Mostly non actors fill the cast adding a naturalism to scenes that play out unassumingly, avoiding the exploitative language of film completely. I've long admired My Dinner With Andre and assumed it was a triumph due to it's writing, but now I feel ashamed I haven't watched any more of Malle's work earlier.

LIST OF SHAME:
1.*NEW*Elevator to the Gallows: More Malle plus Miles Davis soundtrack!

2.Melancholia: Interested in Lars von Trier's latest

3.Faraway, So Close! Wing's of Desire really left it's mark on me, time to see it's sequel.

4.Raising Arizona: I love the Coens and know next to nothing about his film.

5.Mother: Continuing with South Korean films.

6.Burmese Harp More classic Japanese cinema!

7.Three Outlaw Samurai: 60s Samurai films...just something about them.

8.*OLDEST*The Goddess: More Satyajit Ray.

9.Les Cousins: Claude Chabrol's next film after Le Beau Serge.

10.The Cranes are Flying: I haven't seen enough Kalatozov.

38 Watched: Masculin Feminin, Les Diaboliques, The World of Apu, Stalag 17, Wings of Desire, Island of Lost Souls, Dogville, Wages of Fear, The Phantom Carriage, I am Cuba, Twilight Samurai, Andrei Rublev, Curse of the Jade Scorpion, Orpheus, Blue, Mean Streets, Fanny and Alexander, White, The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp, The Conversation, Le Beau Serge, Memories of a Murder, Tokyo Twilight, Red, 3 Women, Y Tu Mama Tambien, Gone with the Wind, Schindler's List, Cul-de-Sac, All About Eve, Once upon a Time in the West, The Virgin Spring, A Streetcar Named Desire, Army of Shadows, Le Cercle Rouge, Letter Never Sent, Ugetsu, Au Revoir Les Enfants

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

Desiato, go with Raising Arizona.

I just watched extended version of Leon: the Professional. I'll get the elephant out of the room first. The relationship between Leon and Matilda was pretty creepy at times. It played with the familiar trope of a young girl having a crush on an older man. What I didn't like about their relationship was that he didn't really seem to try too hard to push her away. She told him she was 18, and even though he knew she wasn't, he kind of played along. I also felt Leon came off as jealous in the scene where Matilda was having a smoke outside of the restaurant with the young man. The movie also plays into the "guns as phallus" symbolism, as Leon seems impressed the first time she handles a gun.

Aside from that, I enjoyed this movie. The cinemetography was excellent in parts. We see a lot of spiral staircases early in the film, and as the movie moves forward, the sets, and even the streets, seem to become more twisted as well, reflecting the whole relationship between Leon and Matilda and the world they have gotten themselves into. I did think the movie had a few too many montages, and that kind of slowed the film at times.

The List of Shame

1. A Bridge too Far: I hear it's really good. I might be thinking of The Bridge on the River Kwai though

2. The Town: I've heard it's a good crime movie.

3. The Towering Inferno: OJ completionism.

4. True Grit (1969): I have seen the re-make, but I haven't watched the original yet.

5. The Godfather part 3: I've heard mixed reviews of this one, with some people hating it, and others saying that it's good, but the bar was set too high with it's predecessors. I'd like to make my own judgement.

6. Wall-E: I skipped a lot of animated films during the 2000s, and i'm slowly catching up.

7. Rashomon: This has been sitting on my DVR for a while.

8. The Third Man: More noir

9. The Sting: This sounds like a pretty good heist movie, and has great acclaim.

10. Network: I've enjoyed what I've seen from Lumet so far.

ON HOLD: Citizen Kane

De-shamed: A Clockwork Orange, Munich, The Godfather part 2, 12 Angry Men, Pirates of the Caribbean 2, Pulp Fiction, Schindler's List, Casablanca, Seven Samurai, Rear Window, 3:10 to Yuma, City of God, Sunset Boulevard, It's a Wonderful Life, LOTR: Return of the King, Saving Private Ryan, Memento, For a Few Dollars More, North by Northwest, Double Indemnity, M, Paths of Glory, To Kill a Mockingbird, Blade Runner, The Departed, Leon: The Professional

CopywrightMMXI fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Oct 23, 2012

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I just watched extended version of Leon: the Professional. I'll get the elephant out of the room first. The relationship between Leon and Matilda was pretty creepy at times. It played with the familiar trope of a young girl having a crush on an older man. What I didn't like about their relationship was that he didn't really seem to try too hard to push her away. She told him she was 18, and even though he knew she wasn't, he kind of played along. I also felt Leon came off as jealous in the scene where Matilda was having a smoke outside of the restaurant with the young man. The movie also plays into the "guns as phallus" symbolism, as Leon seems impressed the first time she handles a gun.

They toned down the pedophilic undertones in the cut version, which is the one I saw.

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

One christmas I was tasked with finding a film for the whole family to watch. Dad said nothing too violent or frisky. Leon the Uncut version was my decision, and that was one of the most awkward experiences of watching a film I've had.

Doctor Tupac
Oct 9, 2012

by T. Finninho

CopywrightMMXI posted:

6. Wall-E: I skipped a lot of animated films during the 2000s, and i'm slowly catching up.

I'm gonna make you watch this one, because it's my favorite Pixar movie.

1. Seventh Seal - Ok, for whatever reason every single time I rent this movie I never end up watching it. I guess because I feel like it's going to be a huge undertaking and I'm a lazy rear end in a top hat. I love Autumn Sonata and The Silence Trilogy. Wild Strawberries and Sawdust and Tinsel I think I was too young to appreciate when I saw them.

2. M.A.S.H - Another film that I never end up watching, despite having rented it a few times. I've seen 3 Women and Nashville, both of which I think are amazing.

3. La Strada - I've seen a few of the big Fellini films, but not this one. Another film I've rented a few times and didn't end up watching.

4. Band Of Outsiders - I've only seen one Godard film in its entirety, Breathless. I really enjoyed it, but I could not stomach Pierot Le Fou or Sympathy For The Devil. Godard seems like kind of a schmuck to me.

5. Thin Red Line - I have not seen a single Malick film, and from what I've heard I think his airy spirituality would probably annoy me.

6. All The President's Men - I don't really know anything about this movie, but I know it's one of those movie's you're "supposed" to watch.

7. French Connection - I've seen clips, and it seems like a really good time. Don't know why I've put this one off for so long.

8. The Sting - Another film I know pretty much nothing about, other than that I probably should have seen it by now.

9. Dogville - I've only seen one LVT film, Anti-Christ. I hated it, but I've been told it's not very characteristic of his other works. (One going as far as to call it "too commercial", which I sort of understand in light of the popularity of torture porn horror films)

10. Traffic - The Girlfriend Experience is Soderbergh's only film that I've seen, didn't care for it. But I've heard good things about this one.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

csidle posted:

One christmas I was tasked with finding a film for the whole family to watch. Dad said nothing too violent or frisky. Leon the Uncut version was my decision, and that was one of the most awkward experiences of watching a film I've had.

The AV Club just did a Q&A on these kinds of experiences.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/awkward-popculture-experiences-with-parents,87581/

Although, I must question why you thought a movie about a hitman wouldn't be violent.

Mistletoe Donkey
Jan 26, 2009
Doctor TuPac, you get The Thin Red Line. There's a lot more to it then airy spirituality.

The Invisible Man should have been subtitled How I used Science to Become the World's Biggest rear end in a top hat. I really enjoyed it. I was pretty impressed by the 1930s effects, and Claud Rains was great in a role where you never see him. Other than the annoying wife at the inn, it was almost a perfect horror movie. Definitely my favorite so far of the Universal monsters.

1) Island of Lost Souls- this has to be better than the Island of Dr Moreau right?
2) Carlos- everyone I know who has seen this raves about it
3) Ran- finishing up my Kurosawa
4) Paris,Texas- loved Wings of Desire so more Wenders
5) Dr Strangelove- no excuse
6) To Live and in in L.A.- this seems right up my alley
7) The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford- I like movies like this and I wanted something newer on my list
8) The Wolf Man- more Universal monsters
9) Manhattan- love all the Woody Allen I've seen
10) Stripes- wanted a slot for something not as serious

New List of Unshamed: The Invisible Man

Doctor Tupac
Oct 9, 2012

by T. Finninho
Mistletoe Donkey I gave you Paris, Texas, one of my personal favorites.

The Thin Red Line - I don't think I was in the right frame of mind to watch this, I was able to appreciate its beauty but not really be engaged by it. Jim Caviezel is quite good, it's a shame he hasn't done much of note since this film. Malick's focus on nature during the battle scenes was an interesting element, I'm not sure if he is trying to highlight life's resilience or ambivalence.

1. Seventh Seal - Ok, for whatever reason every single time I rent this movie I never end up watching it. I guess because I feel like it's going to be a huge undertaking and I'm a lazy rear end in a top hat. I love Autumn Sonata and The Silence Trilogy. Wild Strawberries and Sawdust and Tinsel I think I was too young to appreciate when I saw them.

2. M.A.S.H - Another film that I never end up watching, despite having rented it a few times. I've seen 3 Women and Nashville, both of which I think are amazing.

3. La Strada - I've seen a few of the big Fellini films, but not this one. Another film I've rented a few times and didn't end up watching.

4. Band Of Outsiders - I've only seen one Godard film in its entirety, Breathless. I really enjoyed it, but I could not stomach Pierot Le Fou or Sympathy For The Devil. Godard seems like kind of a schmuck to me.

5. M- I have seen two Fritz Lang films: Metropolis (which I admired but didn't really enjoy) and The Big Heat(which I thought was a fun movie)

6. All The President's Men - I don't really know anything about this movie, but I know it's one of those movie's you're "supposed" to watch.

7. French Connection - I've seen clips, and it seems like a really good time. Don't know why I've put this one off for so long.

8. The Sting - Another film I know pretty much nothing about, other than that I probably should have seen it by now.

9. Dogville - I've only seen one LVT film, Anti-Christ. I hated it, but I've been told it's not very characteristic of his other works. (One going as far as to call it "too commercial", which I sort of understand in light of the popularity of torture porn horror films)

10. Traffic - The Girlfriend Experience is Soderbergh's only film that I've seen, didn't care for it. But I've heard good things about this one.

Doctor Tupac fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Oct 25, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Doctor Tupac posted:

The Seventh Seal is actually surprisingly accessible and has a good chunk of humor in it as well. It's also just over 90 minutes long so it's not like it's going to be a three hour long undertaking. I still haven't watched Birth of a Nation so I can't choose it for you, but I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.