Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Not sure if this is a :files: question or not.

I had iBodger for my phone. They pulled it out of the app store, and I had to reformat my PC and iPhone, and obviously I can't get it anymore for the iPhone. Is there any alternate way of getting it, since I legit had it before it was pulled from the app store?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

Update on my Khador army, cross post from the mini's thread.

Here is the finished shocktroopers unit.

Although after all that I haven't been using them much recently. I did have some luck with them against Trolls, but Crix seem to beat them without a problem.

Ive been running P Vlad after the battlebox, I like the way he came out. Im not sure if Signs and Portents is a crutch or awesome.

My first jack, his bombard proved useful in my tournament even getting a caster kill. (Yes wrong axe, I bought him used and already assembled.)

Finished Drago last week. I love playing with him, I've been using him like a cruise missile. Holding him back till I launch him at what I want dead, but its usually a one shot deal as he gets focused the next turn.

I'm working on the great bears this week.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Fingers McGee posted:

Update on my Khador army, cross post from the mini's thread.

I really like the black gold and red scheme. Sure, it's traditional, but it looks great.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE
Sometimes traditional is bad rear end. (This is one of them.)

Though I have a real desire to paint up a Khador jack in black with red trim.

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I have a 6 point plan to stop the boats.....or turn them around or something....No wait what were those points again....Are there really 6?
I've always wanted a Llael merc army. Can someone give me a quick idea on poo poo to take with Ashlynn? I will probably end up getting a Galleon one day.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

J Bjelke-Postersen posted:

I've always wanted a Llael merc army. Can someone give me a quick idea on poo poo to take with Ashlynn? I will probably end up getting a Galleon one day.

I'm planning on running her with:
arcane tempest gunmages+attachment jack marshalling a talon,
helgenhold forgeguard
rocinante
gorman

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Manifest posted:

I'm planning on running her with:
arcane tempest gunmages+attachment jack marshalling a talon,
helgenhold forgeguard
rocinante
gorman

A Talon? That thing doesn't even have a gun! Slap a Mule on there instead.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

404GoonNotFound posted:

They have a shield cannon.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

S.J. posted:

They have a shield cannon.

No, that's the Vanguard. The Talon has the :science: spear.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

404GoonNotFound posted:

I meant vanguard. I plan on using its shooting defensively.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Ah, that makes more sense. Anyway, if you want her to be even more Focus-efficient, the Devil Dogs are also on the short list of "not entirely poo poo 'Jack Marshalls". They're not the best, but Pronto makes it worth freeing up 2-3 of her Focus.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

404GoonNotFound posted:

No, that's the Vanguard. The Talon has the :science: spear.

Oh, yeah. I even saw two being played earlier today, hurf.

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

Verdugo posted:

Not sure if this is a :files: question or not.

I had iBodger for my phone. They pulled it out of the app store, and I had to reformat my PC and iPhone, and obviously I can't get it anymore for the iPhone. Is there any alternate way of getting it, since I legit had it before it was pulled from the app store?

Yeah, there is: http://www.androidzoom.com/android_applications/entertainment/ibodger_fdyr.html
I got my copy here.

edit: oh sorry, I didn't read that you have an iPhone. Unless you've jailbroken it you're out of luck - you can't install apps from anywhere other than the app store.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

404GoonNotFound posted:

Ah, that makes more sense. Anyway, if you want her to be even more Focus-efficient, the Devil Dogs are also on the short list of "not entirely poo poo 'Jack Marshalls". They're not the best, but Pronto makes it worth freeing up 2-3 of her Focus.

I'll keep them in mind for when I eventually scale up to 50. For now, I'm done buying stuff for it. I even have a nice assortment of solos to swap in and out. Some from my other armies, a couple I picked up for this. (Like Sylas Whtyalsklslsllyllylylylyr.)

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Manifest posted:

I'll keep them in mind for when I eventually scale up to 50. For now, I'm done buying stuff for it. I even have a nice assortment of solos to swap in and out. Some from my other armies, a couple I picked up for this. (Like Sylas Whtyalsklslsllyllylylylyr.)

Actually, I just plugged that in and noticed that it was only 23/25, so I was just about to ask about that. 3 would be nice for an Eiryss, but with 2 I guess you could toss in Anastasia to get Ashlynn into :black101: range that much faster, among other things.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

My next army is probably going to end up as mercs, here's what I'm sorta thinking of running with Ashylnn.

System: Warmachine
Faction: Ashlynn - Viva la resistance
Casters: 1/1
Tiers: 4
Ashlynn d'Elyse (*6pts)
* Vanguard (5pts)
* Vanguard (5pts)
Arcane Tempest Gun Mages (Leader and 5 Grunts) (6pts)
* Arcane Tempest Gun Mage Officer (0pts)
* * Mule (8pts)
* Arcane Tempest Gun Mage Officer (2pts)
* * Mule (8pts)
Precursor Knights (Leader and 9 Grunts) (8pts)
* Precursor Knight Officer & Standard (2pts)
Anastasia di Bray (2pts)
Rhupert Carvolo, Piper of Ord (2pts)
Taryn di la Rovissi (2pts)

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Precursors? Interesting. I guess they're the best defensive line you can get while still remaining in her tier list, but that Spell Ward means they're never gonna get any Quickened love, making them a bit mediocre as a screening unit.

404GoonNotFound fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Oct 16, 2012

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
I ordered the new Ashlynn sculpt the moment I saw it mentioned in this thread. Such an improvement!

J Bjelke-Postersen posted:

I plan on running two Ashylnn lists depending on the mood. One for her tier:

Faction: Ashlynn - Viva la resistance
Tiers: 4
Ashlynn d'Elyse (*6pts)
* Vanguard (5pts)
* Vanguard (5pts)
* Arcane Tempest Gun Mage Officer (0pts)
* * Mule (8pts)
* * Mariner (8pts)
Anastasia di Bray (2pts)
Taryn di la Rovissi (2pts)

Tough Precursor Knights and the two required Vanguard move up while the Gun Mages and assorted Jacks rain fiery death down. I only have one Mule so the Mariner is my next Ranged jack. Still a 19inch sniped Cannon shot is nothing to sneeze at. I've not had a chance to play her tier but two units of Gun Mages with Merc jacks is too tempting to not try.

Otherwise I run Ashlynn like this;

Faction: Highborn Covenant
Ashlynn d'Elyse (*6pts)
* Vanguard (5pts)
* Rocinante (9pts)
* Sylys Wyshnalyrr, the Seeker (2pts)
* * Mule (8pts)
Horgenhold Forge Guard (Leader and 9 Grunts) (8pts)
Lady Aiyana & Master Holt (4pts)

Rocinante just makes Ashlynn absurd in melee combat at Def 19 and with Riposte, your enemy will think very hard before trying to make an assassination run on her. Forgeguard are ridiculous, doubly so on the feat turn. Tough Precursor Knights are an incredible front-line, especially since the Gun Mages can shoot over them thanks to the Precursor UA. I may drop the Knights to a minimum unit to free up 3 points and make the Vanguard into a Mariner just so I can prevent Knockdown with Ashlynn. That has been my bane the few times I've played her recently.

I love playing her but her model is so bad. Now I have no excuse!

Edit:

404GoonNotFound posted:

Precursors? Interesting. I guess they're the best defensive line you can get while still remaining in her tier list, but that Spell Ward means they're never get any Quickened love, making them a bit mediocre as a screening unit.

Her Tier list only allows for Precursors or Devil Dogs. I love my Devil Dogs, but you really want a better defensive unit for the two Gun Mage squads. Put Quicken on Ashlynn for added defense.

Crazy Ferret fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Oct 16, 2012

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

404GoonNotFound posted:

Precursors? Interesting. I guess they're the best defensive line you can get while still remaining in her tier list, but that Spell Ward means they're never gonna get any Quickened love, making them a bit mediocre as a screening unit.

They exist as a second line unit to bring down high armor, most likey on a feat turn. A mini-feat charge makes mincemeat of pretty much any colossal, and with bless you can flip the bird to Arcane Shield. Add in Ashylnn's feat and drat.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

Thagrosh is brutal. I didn't know about Mutagenesis and suddenly bam, Thagrosh and Typhon are past all of my defensive lines and in melee range of my caster.

Luckily I saved my feat and was able to headbutt his caster and pepper him with (4" range) slug guns, but that was pretty much pure luck at that point. (I made mistakes with movement, and by golly I paid for them.)

All factions need a Warbeast / Warjack caster. They are so awesome.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

How did Typhon get there? Feat revive?

Speaking of Everblight, drat is the Seraph an ugly piece of poo poo.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Flipswitch posted:

Unless you do this: http://handcannononline.com/blog/2012/07/02/a-beginners-guide-to-conversion-seraph/ in which case it is awesome. Sadly it isn't tournament legal, but you may be able to get TOs to approve it.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

25-Point 'Highlander' tournament coming up at my shop this weekend. I was initially going to play a Mortenbra list but having recently played a few games with my Legion again I'm thinking I might run them instead...

eThag: +3 WB
Ravagore: -10
Scythean: -9
Shredder: -4 (2 of them)
Raek: -4
Shepherd: -1

I've never used Raek before, any tips? Not really sure why I'd ever use his animus. Is that so he can jump out of combat without a free strike? Maybe I'd be better off just getting 2 more Shredders.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Oct 16, 2012

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Sab669 posted:

25-Point 'Highlander' tournament coming up at my shop this weekend. I was initially going to play a Mortenbra list but having recently played a few games with my Legion again I'm thinking I might run them instead...

I've never used Raek before, any tips? Not really sure why I'd ever use his animus. Is that so he can jump out of combat without a free strike? Maybe I'd be better off just getting 2 more Shredders.

Raeks are interesting beasts. I generally prefer them with Absylonia so she can give them an open fist for the same type of leap + throw combos that the circle shadowhorn satyr does. In other lists I generally think of them as solo hunters. With a good spd + reach they can get to solos pretty well, and can jump behind screening units if necessary.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

Flipswitch posted:

Yep, feat revived pretty much in melee range of my caster. He kind of hung Typhon out to dry earlier in the game, but I had wrote it off.

Kumo
Jul 31, 2004

Played my first Warmachine game against a friend's battlebox yesterday.

He was playing Menoth (Kreoss & three jacks) & I was playing Cygnar. I only have 1 light jack so I fielded a lot of infantry- Arcane Gun mages, Black 13th, Squire, pStryker and a Hunter. Without getting too much into it, it quickly became a war of attrition as I progressively lost infantry models throughout the game. Menoth is SLOW though, and you can kite them pretty easy as Cygnar and turn it into a shooting game, but when you do engage you have to make your hits count. I did manage to use Stryker's Earthquake ability to knockdown two jacks and hit them & his caster with Ryan's double & continuous AOE, which turned the battle in my favor for a moment.

He was able to recover and started wiping my forces out, feating and causing knockdown to all my units.

Stryker got up, survived a flamer attack, and plugged Kreoss with an AOE which killed him.

It's a good lesson to learn that just because the other guy is more menacing, that doesn't mean you can't take him out all the same. The other thing I noticed is that with all the talk about models and utility, you really don't get a good feel for how a model works until you play with it.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
I've been trying to get into the game lately as Khador, and have bought half a battlebox with a friend. I also picked up pVlad, as he was on sale at my local shop. I'm trying to decide what kind of force to purchase on limited funds, but am having some serious trouble theorycrafting something that will be fun to play, attrition based, and won't just be annihilated by a pCaine ATGM themed gunline before I can even get to it(seriously, what fun is running up a field only to die without getting a swing in every week?). An example pCaine gunline that I don't have an answer for, without building specifically against it is:

35/35 pts
pCaine (6)
Hunter (6)
ATGM (5)
Officer (free)
Defender (9)
ATGM (5)
Officer (2)
Hunter (6)
Black 13th (4)
Gun mage Cap (2)
Gun mage Cap (2)

So that's basically 10-14 single wound infantry removed per turn, not including pCaine's feat, the solo's or the jacks. Stealth, concealment, clouds? Useless. Jacks? Gunned down before hitting the battle line. Denial? who needs it when I have to go to them? Solo's? 2 GMCA's to pop them from 14".

How can I use a list like this:

pVlad (5)
Gorman (1)
Drago (8)
Destroyer (9)
Widowmakers (4)
Doom Reavers (6)
UA (2)
Iron Fangs (8)
Iron fang UA (2)

To any modicum of effect against a gunline that ignores terrain? Or is the list just terrible?

Also, Nyss hunters w/ Valachev seems like boring cheese that doesn't give my "magic steam russia" feel in the least. That and the fact that nearly everyone can take Nyss (and does) makes it even more boring.

Gay Polymers
Jun 14, 2005

I hear voices in my head
They talk to me
They understand
Where are my keys?

Sab669 posted:

Do you have a unit to put in there? You get one in the Highlander format. Hex Hunters might not be a bad idea...

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I actually don't own any Legion infantry :v:

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Definitely pick up Striders or Hex Hunters, they're great. I tried Blighted Nyss Swordsmen earlier today with Rhyas and those guys are awesome.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

The thing is, I currently only own eThag. So I haven't really 'needed' infantry.

And my next few purchases will probably be pThag, Absylonia, then Lylyth2.

Nightwatcher
Apr 18, 2007
I've been playing Cygnar for a while now and have a decent grasp of the rules. I currently mostly run eHaley, eCaine and Nemo2 with varying amounts of success.
eHaley feels like cheating to be honest...

I have some extra cash and am considering taking up Menoth. No one in my current group plays them so I don't really have anyone to ask / haven't seen what they are capable of. What casters are best for people new to the faction and what models should I be looking at?
So far Chorus, Reckoner and the book are all on my list of must haves and I am thinking of picking up pSevvy or pKreoss, maybe the battlebox.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.

Nightwatcher posted:

So far Chorus, Reckoner and the book are all on my list of must haves and I am thinking of picking up pSevvy or pKreoss, maybe the battlebox.
You got it. Feora2 and Harbringer are also ball-busters, too. Your BE is fun, and Zealots/Errants/Temple Flameguard are your bread and butter units.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
So it turns out that pMorghoul's feat is an incredible ball-buster at low point levels. Having to take two rounds of charges from Rush-ed, Enraged Skorne beasts with only your unboosted base attacks to retaliate with is... painful. Thankfully I was able to kill his one non-maxed beast and have Lylyth feat to double-tap him into the dirt, but drat. Elephants kill stuff good.

In that vein, I'm considering my caster swap for the local Journeyman. I'm 4-1 so far with pLylyth. Next week we jump to 25pts, and the week after that we go to 25+caster swap. I know from experience that things are going to get nasty once people are free to change casters - there will be some seriously harsh lists out there, since almost none of us are actual beginners (just bringing new or less-played factions into our stable). The question is, what do *I* bring? Some thoughts on my pieces so far:

pLylyth
- She's an enabler, but a squishy one who has to play up front. 10" of control range simply will not cut it in the long run, no matter how much I enjoy abusing Parasite. Her own offensive capabilities are extremely limited and her survival depends completely on your positioning, since she has approximately zero board control. There has never been a game when I felt safe from my opponent. Fun, but I'll be ready to swap when real lists start hitting the field.

Carnivean
- I thought that I would like him. I don't. His animus is unimpressive when Tenacity is an option, he's not fast enough to get an unaided alpha strike, and his spray makes me wish that I had the cheaper Pureblood instead (I miss that beast badly). Unfortunately, I'm stuck with him until the final week of the league. I'll probably try to have him shoot to supplement the first wave, then charge in as my second wave.

Shredder
- I thought that I would dislike these guys. As it turns out, I love these little landsharks. They have absurd synergy with pLylyth: peg someone with your bow, stick parasite, and you can charge for free with two boosted POW 13s after counting the debuff. Get three or four of them on target and they'll wreck a heavy. If you spread them out and tie up multiple enemies, they either have to kill them (non-trivial, especially if any aspects went down) or deal with them all frenzying for another boosted attack and damage roll next turn. Plus if you can actually take the fury off of them instead of letting them frenzy, then they can just walk 8" to double-chomp someone without even needing pLylyth's free charge bonus. Not to mention that they can serve as a DEF 14 screen when you can't purchase infantry. Landsharks are total bosses - but I'm afraid that they'll be noticeably less boss with a caster who doesn't give them free charges and +3 POW.

Forsaken
- Fantastic. As a second-line fury management tool, Forsaken pack an incredible punch once your front line beasts are down. I've killed heavies multiple times with Parasite up, and I've forced casters to spend a ton of resources dealing with the Forsaken's anti-camp threat. Definitely keeping my Forsaken in the list.

I already know what I'm adding to reach 25pts: a minimum Hex Hunter unit and the Black Frost Shard. That's because they're cool more than because they're good, but they happen to be good too. My gut is then to switch over to Bethayne as my second caster, maxing out my spell-slinging infantry as we move toward 35. I'm concerned about her synergy with the rest of my battlegroup though (a battlegroup that I cannot change due to the Journeyman rules). Opinions?

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Oct 17, 2012

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Got a game with eStryker in today against Ravyn. God drat I love playing eStryker. I'm actually a little sad that Stryk3r will be on a horse, I don't think I want another cavalry caster.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

Nightwatcher posted:

I've been playing Cygnar for a while now and have a decent grasp of the rules. I currently mostly run eHaley, eCaine and Nemo2 with varying amounts of success.
eHaley feels like cheating to be honest...

I have some extra cash and am considering taking up Menoth. No one in my current group plays them so I don't really have anyone to ask / haven't seen what they are capable of. What casters are best for people new to the faction and what models should I be looking at?

Warcasters you want right away - pSevvy, Harbinger, eFerora

Units you want right away - Choir, Errants /w UA, Temple Flameguard /w UA

Solos you want right away - The Covenent, Nicia, Wracks, 2 Vassls, Rupert (merc), Errant Seneschal

Warjacks you want right away - Avatar, Reckoner (maybe 2), Blessing of Venegence, Redeemer, Vanquisher, and possibly the Revenger. Repenters are nice with eFeroa, and the Devout helps keep Harby alive.

Also the BE is pretty neat, hope this helps.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

My FLGS will have a 35 point Who's The Boss tournament on the 28th - build as if you had 5 jack/beast points. I understand the basics - if I have a Warmachine army, if I get a warlock, it'll turn into a warcaster, yes?

I tried to work out a decent Cygnar list based on what I'll have at that time (have an order in at the moment).

* Ol' Rowdy (9pts)
* Hunter (6pts)
* Hunter (6pts)
Greygore Boomhowler & Co. (Boomhowler and 5 Grunts) (6pts)
* Captain Jonas Murdoch (2pts)
Journeyman Warcaster (3pts)

Ol' Rowdy serves as a melee beatstick, made focus efficient by his charge ability if I happen to get a low focus/fury leader. Hunters are marshalled to ATGM for long-range heavy killing, and I can shuffle them to the warcaster if they have battlegroup-buffing spells. Boomhowlers for tarpitting and JM for Arcane Shield. Alternatively, I could go with a Stormclad/Squire in place of Ol' Rowdy and JM, but I think I'd rather use Boomhowler than Stormblades in this type of tournament.

Also, they're starting a journeyman league in November. Custom battleboxes, 11-13 points. I was thinking of starting with:

Captain Victoria Haley (*5pts)
* Hunter (6pts)
* Stormclad (10pts)

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
Regardless of the army size, I have yet to find a reason not to use the Avatar. Everytime I think I've found one I realize I am a dumb dumby.

In other news, I met the 13 point Khador guy who pretends armor is fake. Holy loving poo poo, what's the best way for menoth to deal with that guy?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Benson Cunningham posted:

Regardless of the army size, I have yet to find a reason not to use the Avatar. Everytime I think I've found one I realize I am a dumb dumby.

In other news, I met the 13 point Khador guy who pretends armor is fake. Holy loving poo poo, what's the best way for menoth to deal with that guy?

Shoot it and assault it with Reckoners, like every other thing in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

S.J. posted:

Shoot it and assault it with Reckoners, like every other thing in the game.

Does Flare stack if two Recks hit the same enemy?

• Locked thread