Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide

Desfore posted:

Eh, no one new to Homestuck would realize any of those pics are spoilers.

The article also spoils a lot of the mid-story plot twists when trying to explain it to people who haven't heard of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

The article also spoils a lot of the mid-story plot twists when trying to explain it to people who haven't heard of it.

Ah, I didn't know that. I pretty much just skimmed the article and read a few of the highlighted sections.

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

TG: if i were you i would just take that fucking devilbeast out behind the woodshed and blow its head off
Homestuck is dense and lengthy enough that I don't think people that haven't read Homestuck before would remember specific details mentioned in some internet article about it, as good of an article as it is.

But yes, it really is a well-done piece, definitely one of the better articles about Homestuck of the various ones that have popped up lately since the Kickstarter boom. It really feels like the writer legitimately knows and understands the thing they're writing about.

edit: anyone else think it was a bit weird, though, that with a header describing Homestuck as a comic 'inspired by video games' and a whole section about Homestuck's referential nature, that there's no mention of its oft-referenced primary inspirational video game, Earthbound?

CidGregor fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Oct 16, 2012

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Dolash posted:

Gamzee's become the mirthful messiahs himself and he's thriving pretty strongly now, but he's moved into monster antagonist territory anyway and only isn't an explicit enemy of the group because of individual group dynamics (Karkat blames himself, Terezi's got self-doubt about the whole killing for justice thing, Sollux and Aradia are weird and don't seem to give a poo poo about their problems, Rose and Dave have only really heard about his actions in abstract).

I guess people don't feel the need to bust the chops of characters who are clearly treated by the narrative as Bad Dudes, because of course they're like that that's the whole point. If the story turned around and made Gamzee an anti-hero or reintegrated him into the group people would probably be more bothered by him, but since he absconded and then did that creep-show bit with Kurloz he's getting the right amount of villain framing.

I think it might be too soon to say Gamzee is a monster antagonist right now. It's really up in the air what exactly he is loving up to, and who precisely it benefits.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Captain Oblivious posted:

I think it might be too soon to say Gamzee is a monster antagonist right now. It's really up in the air what exactly he is loving up to, and who precisely it benefits.

Yeah, he snapped specifically because he stopped believing in the juggalo cause, whereas Kurloz is neck-deep in it, and Gamzee doesn't seem to have a whole lot of patience with him in their one line of interaction. The Makara thought process remains inscrutable.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
Not sure if this showed up in the thread, but the guy who arranges pop songs for orchestra just did Fuchsia Ruler. I think it kinda sounds like a mess, especially near the beginning, but it's cool that he did a Homestuck song.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Well Manicured Man posted:

Not sure if this showed up in the thread, but the guy who arranges pop songs for orchestra just did Fuchsia Ruler. I think it kinda sounds like a mess, especially near the beginning, but it's cool that he did a Homestuck song.

The first walkaround was posted while votes were open, I take?

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

SteelAngel2000 posted:

Also, gently caress Kanaya.

I was wondering why there were 50 new posts in the thread without an update.

Now I'm wondering why more of these posts aren't telling you how wrong you are. :colbert:

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Cascade won the vote, but 1) it's thirteen goddamn minutes and 2) sorting out the legal permissions when a song has 6+ authors is apparently a nightmare. Fuchsia Ruler only has one guy involved so it was a much easier option.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

YggiDee posted:

Cascade won the vote, but 1) it's thirteen goddamn minutes and 2) sorting out the legal permissions when a song has 6+ authors is apparently a nightmare. Fuchsia Ruler only has one guy involved so it was a much easier option.

That is a god drat shame.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Cascade would make a good musical piece, but to do it justice would take almost as long as it took for EoA5 to be made.

It's a shame, but totally unsurprising.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Just to be clear, fedorafreak dying on a quest bed was a joke with no long-reaching consequences, right?

quote:

fedorafreak: turning on hand-held device for brief report.
fedorafreak: severe injury sustained in skirmish with undersized, sportive rascal.
fedorafreak: tall pant unremarkable in protective utility. damaged; badly bloodied.
fedorafreak: no indication of laundering facilities throughout enchanted land whatsoever.
fedorafreak: losing fluid rapidly. maintaining adequate hydration levels more important than ever.
fedorafreak: libations unfortunately not forthcoming.
fedorafreak: rest needed.
fedorafreak: seeking surface suitable for assuming reclined posture.
fedorafreak: strength depleting. tie loosened, removed, rolled up neatly and tucked beneath hat.
fedorafreak: minimal stamina left for disrobing sodden tall pant. leaving on.
fedorafreak: encountered rest surface.
fedorafreak: horizontal stone slab exhibiting unidentified iconography.
fedorafreak: a tall post at each corner.
fedorafreak: mysteriously inviting.
fedorafreak: mounting slab. exhaustion taking hold.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Elysiume posted:

Just to be clear, fedorafreak dying on a quest bed was a joke with no long-reaching consequences, right?

Everything's a joke right up until it isnt't.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Elysiume posted:

I don't think we've seen the last of him. I mean, he MUST have found a way to survive the Scratch.

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

Neither the article nor this thread have really spoiled anything as I read through this, because I'm not sure you can spoil it.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Snape kills fedorafreak.

e. Hang on, weird thought here. Y'know how sprites are always colored in a fashion that reflects the owner somehow? Like Davesprite is orange and orange is associated with Dirk? Was Calliope actually green blooded or was that bullshit? Because the green sun is... green. And Calliborn prototyped a sun. You see where I'm going with this? Not really significant in any way, but what if the green sun is Calliborn/ LE's sprite?

paranoid randroid fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Oct 17, 2012

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Seoinin posted:

Snape kills fedorafreak.

Dude, now you ruined it, all the tension will be drained out of A6I2 for him. :mad:

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Who WAS fedorafreak anyway? Was he in the session? Was he Dad? It's one of the questions never properly answered.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Triskelli posted:

Who WAS fedorafreak anyway? Was he in the session? Was he Dad? It's one of the questions never properly answered.
He was one of Dad's friends. Considering that he fought an imp and died on a quest bed, he was definitely involved.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
fedoraFreak was one of Dad's co-workers. He definitely wasn't Dad, and I think it was implied he was in another session entirely. I'm thinking he's going to come back and be relevant later in some way, if only because it's still a bit of a loose end. I think the main point of his half of that conversation was to set up something about how sessions in general work. Early on, it was said that a lot of people were playing SBURB on B1; maybe those games will suddenly become relevant somehow.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

As far as we can tell, fedorafreak was a friend of John's dad who, after losing his house and family, somehow managed to stumble his way into a Sburb session. It isn't clear how he managed this, but since the kids never encountered him, it's likely that he ended up in some other session somehow. He was eventually mortally wounded and died on what appears to be a quest bed. Would that mean he went god tier? Depends on whether or not he was actually a player or just managed to hitch a ride into the session like the guardians did. And what happened to him after that? No one knows.

Andrew also said that if he did go god tier he would be the Gent of Piss. Because he tried drinking his own urine at one point.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Triskelli posted:

One of Dad's friends who, it is implied manage to survive the Reckoning by accidentally getting inside of a session, where he encountered imps, grist, alchemy equipment, and somebody's quest bed, possibly his own. There he died of exposure and dehydration.

It is unknown if this was the heroes' own session, or if it was instead related to one of the thousands of games of Sburb that were being played and documented on Earth at the same time. All of those games seemed to end with meteor impacts, however.

Strongylocentrotus
Jan 24, 2007

Nab him, jab him, tab him, grab him - stop that pigeon NOW!
Guys. I think we're all overlooking a major question here. It's extremely relevant to the situation at hand and may even determine the direction the next scene will take.

... after an eternity in the afterlife, how does Vriska feel about Nic Cage and Con Air?

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010

Strongylocentrotus posted:

Guys. I think we're all overlooking a major question here. It's extremely relevant to the situation at hand and may even determine the direction the next scene will take.

... after an eternity in the afterlife, how does Vriska feel about Nic Cage and Con Air?

It's obvious this will tie in with Tavros' speculation of a threat greater than Lord English. Very obvious. :colbert:

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
It's clear his iPhone died on the quest bed first, and went Pod Tier.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

fedorafreak is the protagonist of Homestuck Adventure Game.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Spellman posted:

This would be unironically amazing. Throw in Nic Cage as his server player and wham, best game ever.

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

This is the moment where I've been fully converted, the moment I Get It

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Carrasco posted:

fedoraFreak was one of Dad's co-workers. He definitely wasn't Dad, and I think it was implied he was in another session entirely.

Yep. Just because everyone forgets: John's dad's internet handle was Pipefan413.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Spellman posted:

Good job jerk, now the protagonist of the game will be a disappointment.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Mystic Mongol posted:

Good job jerk, now the protagonist of the game will be a disappointment.

Not if it turns out to really be FedoraFreak! It's the only thing that makes sense to me anyway, if it's gonna be related to the Homestuck universe while also being accessible to newcomers and not featuring the established cast, like Hussie said. Just a game about a dude who loves fedoras who gets thrown into a weird-rear end game as everything gets meteored. How does this not sound like the perfect idea. I hope Hussie is reading this.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Problem being we know how a majority of Fedorafreak's story goes: He stumbles into a session, wanders around cluelessly, tries to drink his own urine, alchemizes some tall pants for (lovely) defense, and then gets fatally wounded by an imp, dying on his quest bed.

I mean, I guess technically we could start when Fedorafreak God Tiers, but that might take a little oomph out of the story, you know?

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Monathin posted:

Problem being we know how a majority of Fedorafreak's story goes: He stumbles into a session, wanders around cluelessly, tries to drink his own urine, alchemizes some tall pants for (lovely) defense, and then gets fatally wounded by an imp, dying on his quest bed.

I mean, I guess technically we could start when Fedorafreak God Tiers, but that might take a little oomph out of the story, you know?

That would only be, like, the first act of the game, man. After that it'd head right into uncharted waters as he just kind of bumbles around and prototypes both tiers of his kernel with a fedora and, i dunno, makes a cat hair moustache. It'd be the best game ever and it would be awesome.

And if you pre-ordered it, you'd get a Genuine Fancy Fedora and a Genuine Jarate in TF2.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Ok I've made it to act 6 and gamzee just went nuts and killed like 4 dudes how close am I to getting caught up?

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

Air Julio posted:

Ok I've made it to act 6 and gamzee just went nuts and killed like 4 dudes how close am I to getting caught up?

That sounds like you're in Act 5 Act 2 though? If you mean that's what literally just happened as you read, as in the last sequence you read was him walking towards Nepeta, you're about 600 pages away from Act 6, which itself is about 1200 pages long currently. So, either way, you've got a ways to go still.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Air Julio posted:

That's Act 5.2, and you're up to early 2011 there. Still have a year and a half of material to get through.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Oh wow. I had thought the recap in there was the end of act 5. I'm not gonna complain, though. It has been a fun ride once the trolls stopped talking to each other and to the main kids again. Not gonna complain about having more cool stuff to go through.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
Trust me, you'll notice when Act 5 ends.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Well I'd assume there would be the curtain-close that ended the other acts. I'm a little concerned the story is being dragged out for another year and a half, but I'm sure there will be more cool stuff in store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
That first page of Gamzee going nuts when he messages Karkat was one of the best moments ever in this thread.

"You have never been so scared in your entire life"