Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom
Looking for an iPhone wave editor with audio copy/paste and the ability to import from your music library. Does one exist? I've already got Beatmaker 2 but find the editor in there to be absolute horse poo poo. I'm really just looking for something to help chop up breaks/samples so I can play around with them in GlitchBreaks.

Does this exist in one app or will I have to use half a dozen to get it working?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer

glitchkrieg posted:

Looking for an iPhone wave editor with audio copy/paste and the ability to import from your music library. Does one exist? I've already got Beatmaker 2 but find the editor in there to be absolute horse poo poo. I'm really just looking for something to help chop up breaks/samples so I can play around with them in GlitchBreaks.

Does this exist in one app or will I have to use half a dozen to get it working?

Get Hokusai with the Audio Copy IAP.
http://appshopper.com/music/hokusai-audio-editor

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom
That seems to be perfect, thanks!

mia2000
Feb 8, 2003

This is our song of exultant joy
Impaktor is a drum synthesizer that was recently released, and it looks quite sweet. Beats are made by tapping on a surface, and the device's internal mic picks up the sounds from the tapping and converts it to whatever instrument you have chosen.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/impaktor-drum-synthesizer/id557824278?mt=8

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

mia2000 posted:

Impaktor is a drum synthesizer that was recently released, and it looks quite sweet. Beats are made by tapping on a surface, and the device's internal mic picks up the sounds from the tapping and converts it to whatever instrument you have chosen.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/impaktor-drum-synthesizer/id557824278?mt=8

It's a lot of fun, but really only works well when using headphones. Otherwise you get feedback loops and whatnot.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Well, Audiobus has been approved by Apple. Not for sale quite yet, but it's really good news, as even the devs felt it was a "grey area" app, and many people were worried Apple would reject it.

Would be great if Moog added Audiobus support to Animoog but considering they made MIDI support an in-app purchase (loving really?) I'm not going to get my hopes up.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Is this really viable, grunt wise? Granted, I'm on an OG, but I can't even get a sequencer to play nice with synths using background audio.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

It's definitely viable. OG iPad might have some issues due to limited RAM or maybe even CPU depending on how optimized the apps in question are. Audiobus will definitely be useful for devices with A5 CPU + 512MB RAM and up. Beta testers say it's much easier to configure and use than virtual MIDI.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

hypersleep posted:

Well, Audiobus has been approved by Apple. Not for sale quite yet, but it's really good news, as even the devs felt it was a "grey area" app, and many people were worried Apple would reject it.

Would be great if Moog added Audiobus support to Animoog but considering they made MIDI support an in-app purchase (loving really?) I'm not going to get my hopes up.

Will this obviate the need for MidiBridge or Genome Sequencer? I don't have either app but I'm looking for something that will let me control app A from app B, or even send app B patterns to play. For example, I love the control SunVox and Magellan give with respect to controlling basic waveforms (duty cycles for squares for instance) but both of them outright suck for actually making patterns with.

While I'm at it, there isn't a way to import MIDI patterns into SunVox, right?

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Eegah posted:

Will this obviate the need for MidiBridge or Genome Sequencer? I don't have either app but I'm looking for something that will let me control app A from app B, or even send app B patterns to play. For example, I love the control SunVox and Magellan give with respect to controlling basic waveforms (duty cycles for squares for instance) but both of them outright suck for actually making patterns with.

While I'm at it, there isn't a way to import MIDI patterns into SunVox, right?

The thing about Audiobus is devs will have to add it to their apps. However, it's free to implement and very simple to do, so hopefully a bunch of music app devs will get on board. Now that Apple has approved it, everyone should contact the devs of their favorite music apps and ask them to add support for it.

usualhandle
Dec 29, 2007
Nothing special about this handle.
heads up yall, impaktor can be used without headphones but you can't use the looper or it feeds back.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Propelleread's Figure got updated with AudioCopy and WIST support :)

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

FLX posted:

Propelleread's Figure got updated with AudioCopy and WIST support :)

Just grabbed that last night, it's fairly limited but very cool for what it does. Lot of fun to dick around with.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

usualhandle posted:

heads up yall, impaktor can be used without headphones but you can't use the looper or it feeds back.

Some of us call that a feature. :colbert:

edit: speaking of, here's a quick video I made with Impaktor, TC-11, and tabla:

https://vimeo.com/49553707

lord funk fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Sep 18, 2012

DrChu
May 14, 2002

I've made a handful of loops in Figures, what's the best/easiest app to use to sequence them together?

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost
I made a tiny little ambient song with NanoStudio: http://soundcloud.com/john-peeba/in_the_end_silence

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

^^^ Nice track.

DM1 will be receiving an update in October which will include new features like user created kits, effects for each track (instead of just global effects) and MIDI. I'm really happy about this, because DM1 is a great app (and looks so nice) and if you can import samples recorded in other apps, you could use it as a general sequencer, not just for drums. Pasting in and layering synth samples from Animoog would be great.

Absolute Zeroes
Apr 1, 2011
Update for djay for iPhone just came up and whilst not strictly a music production app it's changelog contained something very interesting.

Added support for multi route audio in ios 6. This allows using multi channel audio interfaces hdmi audio or a compatible USB audio dock in combination with the devices headphone jack for pre cueing. (dual channel stereo out!!!)

This is why I love apple. This wonderful poo poo just comes out of nowhere sometimes!!!

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
They did however remove the analog audio signal path from the new dock connector, meaning devices feeding audio through that must pass it through a DAC or an ADC.

Absolute Zeroes
Apr 1, 2011

Olivil posted:

They did however remove the analog audio signal path from the new dock connector, meaning devices feeding audio through that must pass it through a DAC or an ADC.
In this case I see no bad though. The dock audio was always the same as the jack audio. Now it can be something else altogether. Will be interesting to see where this can be taken!

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Heads up, Magellan is 99¢ at the moment.

illBilliam
Jan 8, 2006

^^Good looking out! I somehow neglected to add that to my appshopper wish list.

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

miy mwoiultlh tbreaptpreude ifno srteavtiecr more
I emailed wooji juice (makers of Hokusai and Grain Science) asking about audiobus support, here's their response:

quote:

I'm interested in Audiobus and may add support for it, but as I have yet to see any concrete information about it, I don't yet know. When I can try Audiobus for myself, see how it works, and check out the SDK, then I'll be in a position to make a decision; so far, the Audiobus team have only shared the details with a small group of their friends and a couple of "big name" developers (eg Korg).

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Epileper posted:

I emailed wooji juice (makers of Hokusai and Grain Science) asking about audiobus support, here's their response:

Yeah, I got a similar response from them. It would be really great to have in Grain Science.

I can't wait till Audiobus goes on sale and the Moog apps get updated with support. I won't get out of the house for days :/

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

i asked fingerlab about DM1 supporting it as well but they just said they were more concerned with updating MIDI at the moment (as well as the userkits and FX stuff), which is cool too. also they say the update is coming on nov. 1st. (this is all via their facebook)

sea of losers fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Oct 6, 2012

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Yeah Audiobus support in DM1 would be great but I'm satisfied with using copy and paste for now. I'd much rather have user created kits and the ability to paste in samples from other apps. They told me Dropbox support might be included with the update but it's not a sure thing. I hope it gets added though, because I keep all of my samples on Dropbox.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

BeatMaker 2 update coming soon. Feature list posted on their forum:

quote:

Hello everyone,

We're currently finishing our newest update (2.3.2), so in the meantime, here is the feature list. Enjoy, and share !

New features
► Stereo bus recording on audio tracks
► Four audio sends available per mixer tracks
► New 6-band parametric equalizer (LPF, low shelf, peak, notch, high shelf, HPF)
► New side-chain option in compressor effect
► Double-tapping track handles in the sequencer brings instrument/audio track configuration
► iPhone 5 specific graphical update
► UI and engine improvements

Improvements/Fixes
► Fix a bug in empty keyboard sampler when LFO settings were changed
► Dropbox will now work when background mode is disabled
► Fix file transfer lock issue on iOS 6
► Fix QUICK LOAD browser files not showing up (uppercase extensions)
► Improve virtual MIDI
► Background mode has been enabled back by default
► MIDI OUT enabled by default

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Could someone explain to me how MidiBridge/GenomeMIDI work? Will either of them allow me to fire off patterns in, say Magellan, DM1 and BM2, basically working as a super-sequencer of sorts?

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Borderlands Granular Synth is out, and it kicks rear end. Its also kicking my iPad 1's rear end, sadly.

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2012/10/17/borderlands-granular-synthesizer-for-ipad-now-available/#more-43546

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

magiccarpet posted:

Borderlands Granular Synth is out, and it kicks rear end. Its also kicking my iPad 1's rear end, sadly.

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2012/10/17/borderlands-granular-synthesizer-for-ipad-now-available/#more-43546

Aside from the absolutely retarded decisions made in terms of sample import, this app is cool as can be.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Yeah I think they'll fix that fast, everyone hates it.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Audulus just came out, and it seems pretty drat cool so far.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Despite the fact that I really have no use for it, every time I see a video of Loopy HD, I end up wanting to buy it. Is the time stretching / beat matching as good as the videos make it seem? I'm terrible at playing in time, but the videos make Loopy seem like a lot of fun.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTBEe_R_zNs

Those send effects are going to be so helpful.

The update has been submitted to Apple, according to Intua's Twitter account.

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

have you guys seen Samplr? it looks real neat:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsoXVhc-BO8

you can load up 6 samples at a time and do some pretty detailed, in-depth manipulation.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

^^^ I saw the YouTube videos for that app just now. It looks really cool, probably the best execution of a sample manipulation app so far. I used SampleWiz for a bit but the UI is just so off putting. Samplr looks ten times better. I've spent way too much money on music apps I'll never really use, though, so I'll pass.

Funny enough, I only paid $1 for Animoog and I spend hours and hours with it every week. Can't wait for Audiobus to come out and Moog to release updates for their apps to support it. Putting Animoog through Filtatron is going to be awesome.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't see any mention of Notion in this thread. Does anyone have any experience with this from the angle of transitioning from being fluent with Sibelius and looking for something more streamlined, stable and convenient for small arrangements?

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Can you use the Alesis iO Dock with TouchAble and what's the latency like on it? I keep eyeing it...

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

KORG released iPolysix today. Looks like it's also on launch sale! Checking it out right now!

http://appshopper.com/music/korg-ipolysix

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
I like Korg's iOS stuff but they really really really need to charge a tiny bit less.

• Locked thread