Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Jonny 290 posted:

if i can get a reproducible yosvape that outperforms the ~$300 vaporizers out there with profit room and demand feels right im going to kickstart it and will give you the faceplate-and-mounting-widget contract

iunno man, i wouldnt really recommend that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i kind of want to just design it and see if there are any buyers.

i dunno. year or so of time between now and then at least

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

i kind of want to just design it and see if there are any buyers.

i dunno. year or so of time between now and then at least

no i mean the part where you rely on anything i may or may not do

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
man i been feelin out your vibe for a couple months now and I think you need a Project. you seem bored and meh

you got any medium to long term personal fun irons in the fire?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

man i been feelin out your vibe for a couple months now and I think you need a Project. you seem bored and meh

you got any medium to long term personal fun irons in the fire?

oh hells yeah, i got the cabin to build and machine shop to set up, so i got the spending money side all ready to go.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
good man, thats the most important part.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

rotor posted:

guys seriously though im hella burnt out on programming and i dont want to do it any more and im finding it difficult to move into management :(

same

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Same and I graduate in June, bring it on life how boring can you get

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

rotor posted:

oh hells yeah, i got the cabin to build and machine shop to set up, so i got the spending money side all ready to go.

pro tip for pros only

if you are thinking "i should put a machine shop in my ____"

your next thought should be "how many people will die when i attempt to move a milling machine that weighs literally a ton into my _____"

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

Phobeste posted:

pro tip for pros only

your next thought should be "how many people will die when i attempt to move a milling machine that weighs literally a ton into my _____"

anus

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance

Shaggar posted:

checked exceptions and stored procs ftw.

the rightest post

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Phobeste posted:

pro tip for pros only

rotor posted:

keeping in mind i have no experience with the following things:

1) machine shops
2) running a business
3) the machine tools industry
4) industries that consume machine parts
5) basements

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

why is every cnc web page from 1998

http://www.deepgroove1.com/cncmill.htm

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

rotor posted:

why is every cnc web page from 1998

http://www.deepgroove1.com/cncmill.htm

ham radio operator syndrome, slant-rhymed
"windows 95 works fine why would i upgrade'

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

:smith: :hf: :smith:

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
it's more that i'm sick of the industry.

people tell me I should go and work in a large behemoth company instead of working at small brain damaged firms, because then it's easy to stop caring.

i don't want to stop caring :smith:

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

Heartless multinationals man. Lots of management slots, unless you are in a R&D group it's easy to stand out, and lots of chances to find someone to mentor you through it.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

tef posted:

You just need to find a good team within the huge company (which admittedly can be kinda hard) but then you are golden.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

tef posted:

people tell me I should go and work in a large behemoth company instead of working at small brain damaged firms, because then it's easy to stop caring.

big companies are worse

i'm sick of the industry and also other engineers

sick of the loving smuggo bullshit and how everyone thinks they're the most rational actor on god's green earth

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
y'all need to get on the java/c# enterprise funwagon.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

tef posted:

im just completely unmotivated to fix bugs or implement new features or do basically anything, i dont care about any of these dumb computer problems and i dont care about whatever clever ways i might solve them.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i have like 5 projects i really want to work on but only time for 1 or 2. its suckss!!!

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

rotor posted:

im just completely unmotivated to fix bugs or implement new features or do basically anything, i dont care about any of these dumb computer problems and i dont care about whatever clever ways i might solve them.

yep

atop of that I get this is important !!!!! style agile processes. Every update I find out what I am meant to be fixing instead.

these last few months have been constant firefighting
and then explaining why no dev works gets done because the founders are arsonists

we want sustainable development, aka we want to burn each of you out in turn, as we chase a large crazy client who will fck us over

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe
You guys are bumming me out, that's how I felt a few months ago. Right now things aren't much better, but I don't feel as bad as I used to, guess it was just a slump.

0xB16B00B5
Aug 24, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

tef posted:

yep

atop of that I get this is important !!!!! style agile processes. Every update I find out what I am meant to be fixing instead.

these last few months have been constant firefighting
and then explaining why no dev works gets done because the founders are arsonists

we want sustainable development, aka we want to burn each of you out in turn, as we chase a large crazy client who will fck us over

pretty much

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

hey rotor some cnc machines are computer controlled which means you might have
an aptitude for it but also might hate it

i worked at a friend's dad's machine shop one summer and its largely really dirty boring work.

you mount the metal and program the machine, then stand there and watch that nothing fucks up while it makes a zillion slow passes over the thing, slowly turning it into A Thing.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

tef posted:

idk i've found a pretty good niche where the amount of care i invest results in a shitload of other engineers having an easier time on the next project :unsmith:

you just have to block out being constantly told that it's bad for me, personally, to keep caring like that

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
ahhhh i still need a developer or 2.... there are no good ones in maine...

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I don't know. If I don't care about it, I'm not motivated to work on it. If I care too much and that care isn't in the same direction of people in the business (making it bring money in), then it becomes conflicting, you lose the caring, and it becomes bad again. I'm telling myself at some point I'll have to launch my own business so that the caring aligns.

I do know I'm kidding myself though, and that customers will add a layer on top of it that will make it impossible to have ~the perfect motivating job forever~. So far I'm lucky to be in a place where things don't conflict much.

Otherwise I don't know if I'll end up as the developer who is happy and still in the industry at 50, or the programmer who is happy because he left the industry at some point.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe
Shaggar pay for my visa, I even know the jaba

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

Hard NOP Life posted:

Shaggar pay for my visa, I even know the jaba

plus this is probably the only person you'll find willing to move to maine

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
we can pay for relocation or anything which really sucks.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

MononcQc posted:

I don't know. If I don't care about it, I'm not motivated to work on it. If I care too much and that care isn't in the same direction of people in the business (making it bring money in), then it becomes conflicting, you lose the caring, and it becomes bad again. I'm telling myself at some point I'll have to launch my own business so that the caring aligns.

I do know I'm kidding myself though, and that customers will add a layer on top of it that will make it impossible to have ~the perfect motivating job forever~. So far I'm lucky to be in a place where things don't conflict much.

Otherwise I don't know if I'll end up as the developer who is happy and still in the industry at 50, or the programmer who is happy because he left the industry at some point.

my current big big project is well aligned with what the marketing guy wants to do so its pretty easy for me to spend hours on it. its fun stuff imo so its cool. gonna spy the poo poo out of some people.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

Shaggar posted:

my current big big project is well aligned with what the marketing guy wants to do so its pretty easy for me to spend hours on it. its fun stuff imo so its cool. gonna spy the poo poo out of some people.

spying on people is fun as poo poo

writing software is just a lot more fun in general when you're working against the user

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror
like the most fun projects i've written are our tracking systems, my pop-up blocker buster, and a thing to shave revenue from our affiliates

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

tef posted:

Sounds like it's time to form a startup and/or create a full-time blogging hobby

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

Socracheese posted:

hey rotor some cnc machines are computer controlled which means you might have
an aptitude for it but also might hate it

don't be fooled by this guy rotor, not a single computer numeric controlled machine works through a computer, much less some of them

but yeah good luck, it'll be really hard to do competitive work with no training and also impossible to get work unless you know a guy or ten who can give you the sweet spot of jobs that are slightly too large for in house prototyping but not large enough to get a factory to retooland most of those jobs are already taken by existing shops

that said, if instead of quitting you just built out the shop and started doing cool stuff with it you could basically establish yourself among the "ancient men in the Ozarks who build machine tools from the beginning point of "building a home smelter to cast your own lathe bed"

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
yeah, join a huge faceless corporation

it's bad in different ways which you aren't tired of yet

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i thought it'd be better if i was closer to the customer, but it turns out i no longer care about helping people either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

More node.js-related stuff.

quote:

The only interesting languages are C/C++, Go, Dart, JS (and possibly Rust). Everything else is legacy bullshit.

https://twitter.com/ryah/status/258634435161899009

MononcQc fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Oct 18, 2012