Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Infinite ammo vs. CYBER PUNCH!!
I feel like an odd person out here too, as I LOVED the Shiren episode when I watched it raw. I've played the game before, and went in expecting Arino to make a ton of novice mistakes (like most Shiren/rogue-like first-timers, and you). I figured it was going to end in a loss without ever reaching the end, so I was glad when Emoto helped speed things up so Arino could reach new territory, and even beat the thing.

But people feeling "cheated" over watching Arino get help beating it instead of spending a billion hours slowly building stuff up due to show constraints? That just sounds petty to me. People need to chill out; it's called "compromise." :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Obeast posted:

I can see your guys' points about why the Shiren episode is considered bad. I guess I enjoyed it because I actually learned stuff about the game that I never knew before (like the melding pot) and I think it's kinda fun to watch someone who doesn't know much about roguelikes try to play one. Plus, I still love the part after Arino dies the first time he gets to the final boss and one of the staff members screams like he got shot or stabbed.

I imagine that was Suda who not only is going to miss his train but is secretly a rogue-like fan and knew how badly Arino was screwing up by now retreating. The double-whammy finally got him to snap.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
I am so so so behind and have little memory of what I've watched already. I think the last thing I downloaded was the Pilot Wings episode. Can anyone give me a list of what I've missed since then so I can avoid combing through 2500 posts? :( (or if any poster regularly posts the new episode torrents let me know and I'll just ? you)

vv: I don't keep episodes of anything, ever, but that link helps tons. Thanks!

Kerfuffle fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Oct 17, 2012

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

Kerfuffle posted:

I am so so so behind and have little memory of what I've watched already. I think the last thing I downloaded was the Pilot Wings episode. Can anyone give me a list of what I've missed since then so I can avoid combing through 2500 posts? :( (or if any poster regularly posts the new episode torrents let me know and I'll just ? you)

Pilotwings was June something, here is the tracker list from Alluvion. There may be a clover episode and something else not on here, though. The OP has a list of all the episodes so you can compare your harddrive/ memory to that.

http://alluvion.org/index.php

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

Obeast posted:

I can see your guys' points about why the Shiren episode is considered bad. I guess I enjoyed it because I actually learned stuff about the game that I never knew before (like the melding pot) and I think it's kinda fun to watch someone who doesn't know much about roguelikes try to play one. Plus, I still love the part after Arino dies the first time he gets to the final boss and one of the staff members screams like he got shot or stabbed.

I guess I didn't notice that scream the first time I watched it... ahaha holy poo poo that is fantastic. It's quite the delayed reaction too!

KingEffingFrost
Jul 9, 2011

Extreme corset action!
As someone who has never played Shiren, or any roguelike, I found the episode to be fascinating. And then when I went to try the game out, realized exactly how little was actually shown/explained.

SirLarr
Mar 21, 2003

High tech, low class.

Kerfuffle posted:

Can anyone give me a list of what I've missed since then so I can avoid combing through 2500 posts? :(

I'd also recommend scrolling back through the posts on SAGCCX's Facebook profile. I do that every so often to make sure I haven't missed anything.

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

How Ingratiating! posted:

But people feeling "cheated" over watching Arino get help beating it instead of spending a billion hours slowly building stuff up due to show constraints? That just sounds petty to me. People need to chill out; it's called "compromise." :colbert:

It would have been incredibly boring to watch Arino slooowly build himself up to do a good run of the game, so I felt like it made the episode much more entertaining that he was so terrible at it. It's not my favorite episode, but if it's the "worst," then the worst is at least still fun to watch.

I think it just highlights how longer games like RPGs aren't really suited as well to the GCCX format, but I still like the occasional break from hard as nails platformers to games like this or Night of the Sickle Weasel or Clock Tower. Clock Tower in particular works better because it's easy to just show the highlights and still have an idea of where he is in the game, because it isn't quite as long.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
Please enjoy some pictures of the TGS swag. :3: The rest are here -

http://cipater.net/post/33761888869/my-merchandise-from-the-game-center-cx-booth-at

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

So I know this was a while back and it's only tangentially related to GCCX, but whatever happened to the Retro Game Masters thread where we set up challenges to complete every few days? Did it just sort of peter out, or was it closed for some other reason?

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*
If we're posting GCCX swag photos, my package from Chococat arrived this week (thanks again!) Can't wear the raglan shirt because the staff accidentally handed over a size L, but it suits my boyfriend well! If you're interested in getting this shirt but worried about standard asian sizing, don't worry -- it's pretty generous. Plus it's really cool. Highly recommended! Pic here.

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Oct 17, 2012

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Ő_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Ő

Shlapintogan posted:

So I know this was a while back and it's only tangentially related to GCCX, but whatever happened to the Retro Game Masters thread where we set up challenges to complete every few days? Did it just sort of peter out, or was it closed for some other reason?
It more or less died due to lack of interest. I remember someone tried to start a side-RGM thing in that thread for computer games, but that was around the time everyone lost interest and it never really went anywhere. I was actually thinking about starting a new one not too long ago since it was a cool idea.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

That thread suffered from spergs doing every "challenge" that was planned to run a couple of weeks in a day and then making up new ones since they were bored; all of a sudden you had four running at the same time and no one was talking about the same thing.

Basically, it was a good example why GCCX would never work on Youtube or SA or with anyone that's not Arino.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Obeast posted:

It more or less died due to lack of interest. I remember someone tried to start a side-RGM thing in that thread for computer games, but that was around the time everyone lost interest and it never really went anywhere. I was actually thinking about starting a new one not too long ago since it was a cool idea.

Oh, well okay then. I had got to thinking about starting up a new one myself and just wasn't sure why the previous one ceased. I've got nothing to do today, so if there were any interest, I'd be more than willing to put together an OP for one.

e:

Katana Gomai posted:

That thread suffered from spergs doing every "challenge" that was planned to run a couple of weeks in a day and then making up new ones since they were bored; all of a sudden you had four running at the same time and no one was talking about the same thing.

Basically, it was a good example why GCCX would never work on Youtube or SA or with anyone that's not Arino.

Ouch. That sucks to hear. I was only around for the first little while that thread was going and eventually lost track of it so I didn't know it got like that.

Doctor Hospital fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Oct 17, 2012

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

If you want to make one (and I'd like that) be very strict about the rules, about what games will be played and try to keep the challenge length no longer than a week. Also if someone suggests picking absolutely atrocious games "for fun", tell them to gently caress off.

*edit: Also you can allow people to make Youtubes of their runs but that might lead to insufferable LPers (and they're all insufferable) hijacking your thread because they must be the first and also the funniest, most random and zany people to play Ghostbusters or whatever.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

I will absolutely keep that in mind. Guess I'll go get to work on an OP and check back in after I've got something more substantial.

Just for reference, does anyone have a link to that thread? I'd just like to be able to reference it while I'm puzzling this together.

e: Found it!

Doctor Hospital fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Oct 17, 2012

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Cool to hear! To be quite honest, the thread would probably work best with games that people actually have no clue about. No one needs the millionth run of Battletoads, but some obscure Famicom game could work well. Even out the playing field. The three games shown in every GCCX episode (the "198x/199x" segment) do include some titles that seem really cool but no one has ever played. Obviously it should be a game that doesn't require Japanese or has been released in the west.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Katana Gomai posted:

Cool to hear! To be quite honest, the thread would probably work best with games that people actually have no clue about. No one needs the millionth run of Battletoads, but some obscure Famicom game could work well. Even out the playing field. The three games shown in every GCCX episode (the "198x/199x" segment) do include some titles that seem really cool but no one has ever played. Obviously it should be a game that doesn't require Japanese or has been released in the west.

Just a heads up for this: Bio Miracle Bokutte Upa! is on the Wii Virtual Console in NA for easy access :getin:

Ufouria/Hebereke is another good VC import that's on the easier side.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

The good thing about using Famicom titles is that you can :filez: them without getting probated, so it doesn't have to be on the VC (or even have been released outside of Japan).

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Well that's excellent because I've already got the first challenge in mind. I'm debating on whether or not to have a "Hall of fame" of sorts where we keep track of people who complete challenges, with people who complete more of them. It'd be neat to showcase how many people beat a challenge, but I don't want to encourage people to just gun through them like there's no tomorrow. I might just have a section in the second post with links to each challenge and stats on how many people tried and how many people succeeded.

Thoughts?

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

A table in this style should be a given, either as an image or code:

code:
Username	Game 1	Game 2	Game 3

Goon 1		  x	  x	  x
Goon 2			  x	  x
Goon 3		  x		  x
I'm not saying it's wrong to want to finish a challenge (quickly), just tell people to hold their horses on introducing new challenges (that should be your job; do take suggestions though!) The whole thread works on the premise that people actually talk about what they're doing, not getting bored and switching to their 15th Mega-Buster-only run of MM2.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Shlapintogan posted:

Well that's excellent because I've already got the first challenge in mind. I'm debating on whether or not to have a "Hall of fame" of sorts where we keep track of people who complete challenges, with people who complete more of them. It'd be neat to showcase how many people beat a challenge, but I don't want to encourage people to just gun through them like there's no tomorrow. I might just have a section in the second post with links to each challenge and stats on how many people tried and how many people succeeded.

Thoughts?

I like the idea of attempt/succeed stats. I think making more complicated statistics would not be so good though. For example, not acknowledging speed is probably for the best. I know I was one of the people in the original thread that tended to beat the games in one or two sittings. With respect for your new idea if I participate I'll try to remember to intentionally stagger my attempts so as not to contribute to that.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Thread is live! I'm pretty excited about running this, and can't wait to see how many people participate.

Doctor Hospital fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Oct 17, 2012

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

Shlapintogan posted:

All the games were too hard. :smith:

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Well it's no fun if it's not a challenge!

Bart vs. The Space Mutants was loving bullshit, though.

Jimmy Colorado
Apr 16, 2010

Shlapintogan posted:

Bart v the Space Mutants is what killed the last thread imo. All the other games prior to that were hard, but they were well-designed games; they were designed to be hard. BVSM was hard because it was a poorly designed game.

I remember when Arino was chewing through Paris-Dakar Rally, and it dawned on him that he was playing a "poo poo game". He'd pick up on BVSM the second he discovered the button to run and the button to jump were the same button!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Shlapintogan posted:

Drop Amagon up in that thread once the current game is finished, it has tight controls but one-hit deaths with an unfair resume system.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
Bart and the Space Mutants is the first game for me to have found an Easter Egg in the first level.

http://tcrf.net/The_Simpsons:_Bart_vs._the_Space_Mutants_%28NES%29#Streets_of_Springfield

I still go back and play the first level every now and then. But no further.

Edit: Goddamnit, TCF is like a black hole for time.

RadicalR fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Oct 17, 2012

orochi
Oct 9, 2012

/usr/bin/orochi
Really looking forward to the new GCCX in Cambodia episode. I haven't decided if I want to watch the Raw version or not. I'd probably miss out on a lot of the interaction with other people which makes those travel episodes so fun.

orochi fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Oct 17, 2012

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
New Episode:
#148 Pulseman
10/25/2012

A Mega Drive game by Game Freak. Looks like a fun platformer.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
The Battletoads episodes are everything I hoped they'd be. Arino is having SO MUCH FUN and the atmosphere of the show is infectious. :3:

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I'm guessing on Wings of Madoola that the phone calls didn't make it to air and only appear on the DVD cut? Because if that's true, it's a drat shame because that's the funniest moment in the episode by far.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Cemetry Gator posted:

I'm guessing on Wings of Madoola that the phone calls didn't make it to air and only appear on the DVD cut? Because if that's true, it's a drat shame because that's the funniest moment in the episode by far.

I'm pretty sure there was a slew of side features from the DVD episodes translated recently.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Lizard Bastard posted:

I'm pretty sure there was a slew of side features from the DVD episodes translated recently.

Yes. But that wouldn't answer my question about Wings, nor did they get to that episode yet.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Kerfuffle posted:

The Battletoads episodes are everything I hoped they'd be. Arino is having SO MUCH FUN and the atmosphere of the show is infectious. :3:

I agree completely. I have watched those episodes so many time already because Arino is enjoying it so much despite the challenge that it is just fun to watch him play it.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

How big of a production run are we looking at for the DVD? I might not be able to afford it in the near future, and I just don't know if it's going to go down in price or get rare and expensive.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
It probably just depends. They already had to delay the release to produce enough for demand, chances are the better it sells the more theyll make (and the more volumes theyll produce!)

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

joek0 posted:

New Episode:
#148 Pulseman
10/25/2012

A Mega Drive game by Game Freak. Looks like a fun platformer.

This managed to hit the Wii VC. It's really interesting to play an early Game Freak game after being so familiar with Pokémon and playing Drill Dozer. Pretty fun, nice aesthetic to it.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Sweet, I was wondering if Pulseman would get played. I loved that game when it appeared on the Sega Channel in the US. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
I was totally preparing to make fun of everyone in the thread for comparing a show about lame old Nintendo games to Top Gear.

However, after watching the Prince of Persia (a rare game in the show I've actually played) episode, I'm hooked. The challenges are well edited to be surprisingly exciting, and the other segments are interesting, too. Good stuff.