Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007

Magic Hate Ball posted:

My technique is to watch it with all the lights off and take as few breaks as possible (preferably zero). I've never seen the extras disc, though. I almost can't believe he shot that much footage (editing must've been a nightmare) but then again a bunch of his other films have been edited down too - Wild At Heart was four hours and Blue Velvet was eight or something ridiculous like that.

This definitely. Shut off the lights and any distractions, move the furniture if you have to and just soak it in.

Never took a look at the bonus disc either, can anyone recommend it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
The bonus movie gives a lot of "backstory" for lack of a better word, especially regarding Nikki and her husband, I didn't watch the entire thing but it seemed to mostly be Nikki/Husband domestic drama. It's hardly necessary or vital and the scenes do not flow together at all. I've seen the actual movie four or five times though. Just watch it, up close with volume up and don't take any breaks.

I defnitely recommend the short "Ballerina" film that's on the bonus disc though. Just a ballerina dancing, but it is intensely engaging and hypnotizing.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Which one's the one where the college students go to see an art film and a giant pair of scissors comes out of the screen and stabs one of them to death?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Magic Hate Ball posted:

My technique is to watch it with all the lights off and take as few breaks as possible (preferably zero). I've never seen the extras disc, though. I almost can't believe he shot that much footage (editing must've been a nightmare) but then again a bunch of his other films have been edited down too - Wild At Heart was four hours and Blue Velvet was eight or something ridiculous like that.

Not to mention Dune and Fire Walk With Me, which had at least two hours cut. Lynch made some noises a few years ago about releasing a ' director's cut' of fwwm but it never came to pass because of rights issues. Too bad, cause the shooting script is much more interesting than the movie.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

This is probably going to be a pretty obscure question buuuuuttt.... in the Argentina film Nueve Reinas, Marcos -- just around right before him and Juan decide to really team up and go to the hotel and everything -- calls someone on a payphone and just says something to the effect of "go through with it", watching it at the time it seemed like it was setting him up to pull some trick on Juan but I can't remember that phonecall ever coming up again. Was there any point to it or was it just a red herring?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I watched The Insider recently and wasn't very impressed with it. Can someone suggest what was I supposed to be admiring? Russell Crowe was very good but Al Pacino is horribly miscast. His lines are partly to blame - which journalist shouts all that crap over the phone to a source who sounds like he's about to off himself? And Mike Wallace's allegiance shifts without any build-up or explanation. It wasn't a bad film, there were some good moments, but I can't understand its universal acclaim.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost
It deals with Important Issues in a Serious Manner.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Here's a weird one. When a few friends and I saw The Village in an independent local theater, we noticed visible boom mics in a number of shots. One scene featuring Ivy and I think Joaquin Phoenix's character outside was particularly obvious; you could see the fuzzy wind screen and it was clearly pointing towards whoever was speaking. My wife, who I did not know at the time, saw it at the same theater and also noticed this. Any time I mention this to anyone else who has seen the movie anywhere but at that theater they have no idea what I'm talking about.

I did a little research and found some people from Portland (I'm nowhere near Portland) discussing seeing the same thing at local screenings. One guy who saw this blamed the projectionist. Best as I can figure, my local theater used to have one large screen, not the typical multiplex style theater. I also happen to know the projectionist at the time was a crack head.

I guess my question is how often will a movie go out with poo poo like this along the edge of the frame, with the expectation that the projectionist will catch that and a bit will be cut off? Isn't that the sort of thing that would become obvious in editing?

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Baron von Eevl posted:

I guess my question is how often will a movie go out with poo poo like this along the edge of the frame, with the expectation that the projectionist will catch that and a bit will be cut off? Isn't that the sort of thing that would become obvious in editing?
It's not uncommon.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
It depends. There's a way to shoot a 35mm movie "hard matted" so that the framing is always right, but it costs a little more.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I guess it just sounds like an obvious thing to do, especially with a larger budget movie like The Village.

In unrelated news, I found footage on YouTube from the theater I'm talking about. They filmed the interiors for an extremely lovely Nelly movie named Snipes there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvv_pAAk7kA&t=3772s

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Projectionists are far from infallible, particularly nowadays.

Five Cent Deposit
Jun 5, 2005

Sestero did not write The Disaster Artist, it's not true! It's bullshit! He did not write it!
*throws water bottle*
He did nahhhhht.

Oh hi, Greg.

Maxwell Lord posted:

It depends. There's a way to shoot a 35mm movie "hard matted" so that the framing is always right, but it costs a little more.

Where did you get the idea that it costs more? Very few pictures are shot with a hard matte, but not for any cost reason.

Even films with hard mattes on the negative aren't usually matted to the final projected aspect ratio. For example, I've seen the 4K scans of Terminator and while almost every shot is matted, it isn't matted to the 1.85:1 ratio. There's more on all sides.

If you see booms in the theater, it is the projectionist's fault, plain and simple.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

In Black Swan, I've seen people make mention of the 'Night of Terror' sequence. Which bit is that, exactly? Is it the nightclub scene and all the scenes after?

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin
I'm trying to recall a film based off a picture I saw. From what I remember it was either an Italian or a French production and the most iconic sequence involved a clown performing in a white/snowy backdrop. Sorry for the vagueness.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
La Strada?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Five Cent Deposit posted:

Where did you get the idea that it costs more? Very few pictures are shot with a hard matte, but not for any cost reason.

Wanted to double check this, but it's in Paul Sylbert's "Final Cut" (the one about the making of The Steagle, not Heaven's Gate)- he wanted to shoot it hard matte, the studio refused, and he says it was for cost reasons. Then again, this was 1970, and he could have been wrong anyway, but it was one request he ended up not getting.

Five Cent Deposit
Jun 5, 2005

Sestero did not write The Disaster Artist, it's not true! It's bullshit! He did not write it!
*throws water bottle*
He did nahhhhht.

Oh hi, Greg.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Wanted to double check this, but it's in Paul Sylbert's "Final Cut" (the one about the making of The Steagle, not Heaven's Gate)- he wanted to shoot it hard matte, the studio refused, and he says it was for cost reasons. Then again, this was 1970, and he could have been wrong anyway, but it was one request he ended up not getting.

If you can dig up a quote, I'd love to read it. I'm not being argumentative - I'm genuinely curious as to what his explanation is. :)

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF
Am I gay as gently caress for liking the movie What Women Want, or does anyone else legit think that it's a good movie?

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

poonchasta posted:

Am I gay as gently caress for liking the movie What Women Want, or does anyone else legit think that it's a good movie?

Youre not "gay as gently caress" but from what I remember of seeing it years ago that it was a pretty stereotypical but not really "offensive" idiot protrayal of how women think or something.

So I didnt think it was particularly good myself.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Nutsngum posted:

Youre not "gay as gently caress" but from what I remember of seeing it years ago that it was a pretty stereotypical but not really "offensive" idiot protrayal of how women think or something.

So I didnt think it was particularly good myself.

I saw most of it once. It wasn't nearly as bad or offensive as I expected it to be. It was less about the stereotypical things women think and more about Mel Gibson's character learning to think about the feelings of others. Overall it was pretty generic though, following exactly the beats you would expect.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008

poonchasta posted:

It was generic but entertaining enough I guess? I don't think it was offensive or anything, just fairly bland and predictable.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The two most memorable moments when watching What Women Want were Mel Gibon's character finding out he's not all that good at groping boobs and me realizing I was watching a Nike ad disguised as a romantic comedy.

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.
Hey guys. I trying to remember a movie where there is a scene where you see the back of a blonde's head and it's revealed to be a dude with a mustache.

[edit] I think the blonde in question was wearing jeans and is using a pay phone.

Does this ring any bells?

Ritz On Toppa Ritz fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Nov 19, 2012

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Cracker King posted:

Hey guys. I trying to remember a movie where there is a scene where you see the back of a blonde's head and it's revealed to be a dude with a mustache.

[edit] I think the blonde in question was wearing jeans and is using a pay phone.

Does this ring any bells?

It is familiar from some 80s comedy or other, but beyond that I'm drawing a blank. The fine folks in this thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2177344 will probably be able to help more.

Ninja Gamer
Nov 3, 2004

Through howling winds and pouring rain, all evil shall fear The Hurricane!
What's the difference between a Director of Photography and a Cinematographer?

Five Cent Deposit
Jun 5, 2005

*throws water bottle*
He did nahhhhht.

Oh hi, Greg.

Ninja Gamer posted:

No difference.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Ninja Gamer posted:

The first one allows you to tell people "I'm the Director! ...of Photography..."

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe
Marisa Tomei is really good in What Women Want. Unfortunately she's not in it as much as the execrable Helen Hunt.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

piratepilates posted:

This is probably going to be a pretty obscure question buuuuuttt.... in the Argentina film Nueve Reinas, Marcos -- just around right before him and Juan decide to really team up and go to the hotel and everything -- calls someone on a payphone and just says something to the effect of "go through with it", watching it at the time it seemed like it was setting him up to pull some trick on Juan but I can't remember that phonecall ever coming up again. Was there any point to it or was it just a red herring?

Maybe he was calling the guy who was supposed to mug them in the latter part of the film?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Lobok posted:

The first one allows you to tell people "I'm the Director! ...of Photography..."

"Lighting cameraman" is much more apt. It's a British term and quite perfect when you consider the amazing work by Jack Cardiff, Geoffrey Unsworth, and Gilbert Taylor.

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.

Ninja Gamer posted:

I've been told that even though they're used interchangeably, the former refers to the head technical expert on cameras, film, lights, etc., while the latter coordinates the artistic aspects of each shot. Someone call me out if I'm wrong, but I think these duties are usually performed by the same person.

OnlyJuanMon
Jan 25, 2010

:burger::taco::burger::taco::burger:
Too tired to chase fences right now.
:taco::burger::taco::burger::taco:
I absolutely love the cinematography of the Ocean's Trilogy. That style of film, with the retro look, great panning an zooming shots and music all combined....does this style have a term? Or is it something the director sort of made his own?

Also Ocean's 13 is as good as 11.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

DNS posted:

Marisa Tomei is really good in What Women Want. Unfortunately she's not in it as much as the execrable Helen Hunt.

Hunt is a weird one. She's largely annoying, but she's fantastic in both The Waterdance and Six Sessions, playing mostly the same role to be fair but still. She's better in drama than she is in comedy.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I just saw Magic Mike and I'm not sure I "get" it. Does the movie actually end? The plot seems to not go anywhere and there's no closure for any of the characters.

I did enjoy it in general, the characters were interesting and believable and boy it really motivates me to go excercise more, but that's just making me even more frustrated that the film don't actually go anywhere.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

OnlyJuanMon posted:

I absolutely love the cinematography of the Ocean's Trilogy. That style of film, with the retro look, great panning an zooming shots and music all combined....does this style have a term? Or is it something the director sort of made his own?

Also Ocean's 13 is as good as 11.
I don't know if it has the own term, but Steven Soderbergh usually does his own cinematography for his films. You should probably check out his other films that you haven't seen because his style is usually pretty obvious in all his movies, including the warm tones, use of music, sound editing that sometimes seperates from the editing of the visuals in an unexpected way, and definitely shooting scenes as if he was a documentary filmmaker with a camcorder even though he's using an expensive camera.

Speaking of Soderbergh:

Throatwarbler posted:

I just saw Magic Mike and I'm not sure I "get" it. Does the movie actually end? The plot seems to not go anywhere and there's no closure for any of the characters.
Kinda confused what you mean here. If anything, this film had way more plot than I (and probably the target audience) ever expected. My biggest problem was that you can kind of see where it's going every step of the way.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

kuddles posted:

Kinda confused what you mean here. If anything, this film had way more plot than I (and probably the target audience) ever expected. My biggest problem was that you can kind of see where it's going every step of the way.

I just felt like something more should have happened after Mike and Brooke started getting together. What's Mike going to do after this? Is this a setup for a sequel?

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Throatwarbler posted:

I just felt like something more should have happened after Mike and Brooke started getting together. What's Mike going to do after this? Is this a set-up for a sequel?

He's essentially given up as a stripper and stopped lying to himself. That's why they finally get together at the end. He's $10,000 worse off, but it was a wake-up call. Mike is deluded through the whole film anyway, he keeps procrastinating and never really commits to his plans. With Brooke he finally thinks that he needs to do something, anything, that's not stripping.

As for everyone else well their stories carry on. They'll open the new club and it'll be bigger and better, but they'll all lead the same empty lives until they're as old as Kevin Nash and passing out on the floor.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
So I recall watching parts of Cameron Jaime's films in an art museum one time and now I really want to check them out again.

http://www.artangel.org.uk//projects/2003/kranky_klaus_bb_spook_house/about_the_project/kranky_klaus_bb_spook_house

Is there any way to watch these outside of a special screening? I know Matthew Barney's stuff is comparably hard to view also because it is capital A art (apparently).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Five Cent Deposit posted:

If you can dig up a quote, I'd love to read it. I'm not being argumentative - I'm genuinely curious as to what his explanation is. :)

There's not much of an explanation, but here's what he writes:

Paul Slyter posted:

The zoom and the hard matte, which I had requested in order to prevent theater projectionists all over the world from reframing the shots, were both discovered to be victims of the penny-pinching that had preceded the big budget meeting of the previous day. The matte I refer to was the only solution to a problem created by the now deceased Spyros Skouras when he invented the 1.85:1 ratio, or "poor man's cinemascope" as it came to be called. It was simply a method of using standard 35mm film and cropping a bit from the top and bottom to give the effect of the wide-screen process. But these margins were only inscribed on the ground glass of the camera as a guide and the film was exposed to its full dimensions. That meant that a projectionist could frame up or down, giving or subtracting head room, however his digestion directed him. The hard-matte prevented those margins from being exposed so that his latitude was limited to minute fractions.

Maybe at the time the hard-matte referred to an actual bit of hardware you'd put in front of a lens to actually cut off those parts of the frame.